Masterchef Australia – The Medieval Feast

Christina proved more observant then I when she walked into the Masterchef kitchen and realised it was empty I did not. It was an off site team challenge and the only reason they were there was fawn over Heston’s edible garden. And no that is not a euphemism.

The challenge was to cook a medieval feast with turkey, chicken, pheasant and squab plus do an edible garden.

Rishi looked like he had pulled the short straw being in a team with Kelty, Samira, and Noelene. Except Noelene said this was the type of cooking she liked so took the lead on the poultry. The problem for Noelene is she finds it hard to adapt.

Since there was only a short time to cook the turkey she still stuffed the turkey which was a huge mistake as it was raw. She also just roasted everything. Whereas the other team did a squab pie and a ballotine of chicken.

Lynton on the other team kept his turkey hollow so was able to get it cooked. It was a pity for Noelene as the rest of her food was apparently good. Well except for the whole unpeeled onion and garlic. Props to Noelene for telling Heston it would cook. I don’t think we will see her being offered an apprenticeship soon. But hopefully the casting directors of Hell’s Kitchen will draft her into the next series to give Gordon Ramsay a good telling off.

The other mistake the blue team make was Rishi deciding to spend 30 minutes to make his own mayonnaise. Sure normally this is a good idea but in this scenario where they needed five kilos and it was covered with olive dirt and mixed with other ingredients it was a waste of time. Gary revealed that he could not tell the difference when he tasted the red team’s headed by Lynton.

There was no way Rishi’s team was going to overcome raw turkey and they were put in the elimination challenge. You get the feeling Noelene will go as she won’t be able to cope with another Heston recipe.

1 Anna { 08.07.13 at 10:01 pm }

Dave, since you called her old buzzard, I could feel the love. LOL

When I said your ‘favorite’, was being sarcastic

2 Zhee and her stuck comments { 08.08.13 at 12:47 am }

I really started to not mind Kelty that much – but maybe it’s just the choice between plague and cholera. My guess is he’s reaching the finals.

Still want Miss Christina to win, she’s cute. Hope she at least makes it to the finals. Unfortunately I suppose they might try to make Amina’s evil twin sister top 2.

Btw, Amina’s evil twin: What about her bracelet touching the turkey? This was so disgusting and I do not think that she cleaned her bracelet later. *vomit*
Her and Noelene’s idiotic behaviour preparing the turkey cost the team. Sometimes it’s necessary to use your brain, Noelene clearly didn’t. Lynton was smart leaving the bird hollow.

The sitting tonight was quite nice but… being German and coming from an area with lots of middle age castles and especially from a hometown with lots of medieval buildings (biggest roman cathedral in Europe^^), the building looked like joke.^^ It’s weird when countries try to emulate buildings they actually never had. Same with Asian buildings in Germany. Looks kind of stupid. 😉

3 Daze { 08.08.13 at 12:58 am }

@52 biggest is not always best; a ‘new castle’ doesn’t have ghosts of old – anyway, what does it matter? Don’t they have Disneyland in Paris? Just saying.

4 daisy { 08.08.13 at 1:06 am }

I totally agree on out off place architecture, Zhee.
Outside of Shanghai, there is a perfect English neighbourhood. It looks contrived and just weird.
On the other hand some places have Little India or Chinatown and it works. But that is because they have developed naturally by lots of people, not a developer.

5 Zhee and her stuck comments { 08.08.13 at 1:27 am }

Well, it was just me. It looks out of place in Australia, sorry to say. But yeah, your Larp it might be a fun place. 😉
Maybe I am also a bit picky as I studied history in the past. So I might be a big bitch. 😀

I think Chinatown is different as the buildings are just remodelled and decorated. It does have a charming look, I loved Chinatown when I was in NY. It gave you a feeling you were walking through a Chinese town but still felt American.

6 Phineas J. Whoopee { 08.08.13 at 6:07 am }

Simone@6
I have thought about that a lot. The whole beat the clock aspect is pretty unrealistic in that, in a commercial kitchen like a restaurant, if something doesn’t work or isn’t ready (e.g. ice cream) you just wouldn’t serve it until you have it.* Plus of course the desserts are usually made in a separate kitchen, or late at night/early in the morning, and so on. There’s always time pressure in commercial cookery, but it’s not THAT bad.

In catering where you have essentially guaranteed that you will have something, the prep is done as far in advance as possible for the type of ingredients you are using. Any shortages or supply problems can generally be worked out due to the long lead.

OTOH in a cooking show you have to do things to increase the pressure and suspense and also just get people to finish up in something resembling a reasonable amount of time. I get that, but what bothers me is the thing where they make everybody put down their utensils and step away at the moment time is up. That is not realistic and not necessary, and it is interesting that in what is IMO the best of the MC universe, MC UK, they do not do that. They don’t let people go on and on, but they let them finish plating or whatever.

Having said all of that, I think, for this stage of the competition, they gave them plenty of time to put together good dishes for the feast. That the whole thing was so unimpressive says more about the caliber of contestants this year than anything else.

*In [American] restaurant lingo an item that is unavailable is said to be is “eighty-sixed.” Customers might not be happy if you are out of something, but they usually understand that it happens.

7 Ism { 08.08.13 at 7:26 am }

This Samira hatred is getting a bit too much for me. If she cooks well, you say they were desperate to keep her. And when she doesn’t, then you say they will never kick her out. I thought she has done well to win her place back and shown some good dishes along the way. I mean Neha, Vern and Noelene are out coz they stuffed up on the day. Its as simple as that.

8 Simone { 08.08.13 at 9:02 am }

I don’t hate Samira, I just don’t like her much. Maybe it’s her voice. Petty, I know.
And, and, and… I’m starting to like Kelty! He’s always cheerful and works hard and communicates and, he just enjoys everything so damned much. That’s kind of likeable!

9 Littlepetal { 08.08.13 at 9:08 am }

SSH…. Not so loud. Kelty can win this. Happy days

10 Anna { 08.08.13 at 9:41 am }

PJW, some desserts are made prior to doors opening as they need time to cool or need long baking time. It’s still same kitchen but different station

At the end of service if they run out of something then customers are offered another dish. Happened to a friend, she wasn’t complaining as the other dish was delicious

When 3 stooges say ‘time is up’ its for our benefit. We don’t see things in real time. It’s MC time. Judges taste everything cold anyway

11 Anna { 08.08.13 at 9:45 am }

I know that eating fish head is not for everyone BUT at least Noeleen thought outside the box

Even Kelty tries different things each time.

Sadly Samira keeps on falling back on ONLY what she knows

Rushi’s experiments are hit & miss.

Dull Boring Season.