The Great Australian Bake Off – A Surprise Elimination

It was great to see Dan Lepard in his element last night in the bread challenges. He was right in his comfort zone. Though Kerry Vincent still came out with line of the night when she fondled a coffee scroll and said it was the worst thing she had ever had in her mouth. Really?

It was the bread bake, first was the signature bake and Brendan made more a cake than bread with apple and rhubarb bread. He was criticised for it. As was Jonathan for his poppy seed bread. Monique who is keeping herself in it made a nice fruit bread and Nancy and Maria again showed they were contenders.

The technical bake was coffee scrolls and Brendan tanked on his because he decided to cream the butter and sugar. Jonathan staged a comeback and came first.

The show stopper was a bread basket filled with rolls. Julie who has one of the best baking resumes tanked and was a surprise elimination. Maria and Jonathan must have been secretly stoked as one of their main competitors has gone.

Nancy who could be the dark horse to win was named star baker.

1 Daze { 08.07.13 at 11:07 am }

I thought it was a cheesymite (vegemite) scroll that Kerry said was the worst thing she’d tasted. I would find that too much too.

Brendan is a flip and not taking the competition seriously, as say Maria. I’d say he is next to go.
Maria or Nancy for the win. Nancy is very creative but both are excellent bakers.

Glad Julie has gone, I found her irritating to watch and so much for winning ‘thousands’ of competitions, she was too flustered in the kitchen. I agree with Dan saying to her last night, ‘do you cook with any vegetables that aren’t orange’ as most of her dishes had pumpkin.

2 Rosie { 08.07.13 at 11:39 am }

While I agree that saying it was the worst thing she had ever tasted was a bit strong, I doubt I could have put that cheesymite scroll into my mouth. Kate Middleton went way overboard with the Vegemite, slathering it on the way I spread Nutella. Ugh. I love me some Vegemite, but for Heaven’s sake, don’t spread on with a trowel.

I was so hopeful that the irritating Brendan would leave last night. That idiot really gives me the shits. Maybe next week…

3 Simone { 08.07.13 at 11:58 am }

Brendan’s such a pain. Remember when he stole Jonathan’s cheese and laughed about it? What a jerk.

4 Littlepetal { 08.07.13 at 12:30 pm }

Brendon has some talent but he is not taking it seriously and doesn’t want to learn from his mistake. Everything is just a joke to him.

The winner will be either Maria or Nancy. When it come to making a stunning decorative cake, Jonathan will lose out. He is a good baker but not so good with decorations.

5 emp { 08.07.13 at 12:30 pm }

Lol @ when dan and Anna were hailing nancy, Kerry was just standing there thinking “no way am I doing this shit”

6 Maz { 08.07.13 at 1:30 pm }

Last night, did have a certain wow factor particularly Nancy’s bread basket. She is incredibly talented though I think Maria may still win this.
Emp@5-that was funny! Also, loved the music they were playing under the contestants commentary-particularly Brendan and “You’re so vain”. Brendan should have gone on Masterchef.

Rosie@2-completely agreed with the slathering. A little vegemite goes a long way.

7 Anna { 08.07.13 at 3:24 pm }

Brat, sorry mean Brendan should go home next week.

Maria or Jonathan will take it out

8 KG { 08.07.13 at 4:05 pm }

Jonathan way too intense for mine. Looks like he’s going to slash his wrists at any moment or ‘go postal’.

Liking joy Maria and Nancy seem to get from baking – and that they’re still pleased for other’s successes too?

Judges good mix of ‘nice’ and ‘tough but fair’.

Am really enjoying. And no ‘villians’. Yay!!

9 Gin { 08.07.13 at 5:35 pm }

I love love love this show. I hope it rates well enough for a second season. No drama good food and fair judging.

10 Anna { 08.07.13 at 7:31 pm }

Dan Lepard reads this blog :-)

11 Anna { 08.07.13 at 7:31 pm }

KG, I like Jonathan. I hope he wins! If not him then Maria

12 Littlepetal { 08.07.13 at 7:39 pm }

I hope the finale is between Nancy and Maria.

13 Taylor F { 08.07.13 at 8:59 pm }

I think Nancy’s going to win this. Maria is talented for sure, but she isn’t as creative as Nancy who has a great modern flair to her bakes. Nancy’s issue is lack of confidence and experience. Can you imagine how good she’ll be in 5-10 years? Maria’s bakes are a but boring, but they are pretty. They just don’t have “Wow” factor. Agreed Jonathan doesn’t have the decorating or presentation skills to take the title.

Did any one else get the sense that Maria was annoyed Jonathan won the technical bake? I still think there’s something not right about Maria. I think it’s because her smiles don’t match her eyes.

14 Andrea, the other one { 08.08.13 at 9:01 am }

Methinks Maria will win. Been consistently in the top half of contestants. Her presentation is precise and Kerry takes a shine to all her cooking. Nancy, though creative, can have her ups and downs within each episode.
I think the eliminations will be (in order) Brendon, Monique, Johnathon and Nancy.
Does anyone have a heads up on what the subject of the next couple of episodes will be other than next week’s chesecake episode. My guess is meringue or choux pastry.

15 Veronicali { 08.08.13 at 9:01 am }

Watched for the first time – Nancy is my fave to win, she is so creative. I like how quickly the show moves along. Am going to have to get some of the recipes and give my neglected bread machine a whirl.

And yes that was way too much vegemite, esp. for a pommy judge!

16 Andrea, the other one { 08.08.13 at 5:52 pm }

Did anyone else notice that the contestants and the judges and the hosts wear the same outfit across three days of filming. Wouldn’t that be a bit whiffy ?

17 Daze { 08.08.13 at 5:56 pm }

Andrea T.O.O.
Yes, it’s been mentioned before; dumb editing……… ‘go home and rest and we’ll see you tomorrow’ and they rock up in same outfits, as well as judges and hosts – It would have to be filmed in one very long day I’d say? for the 3 sections of cooking that we see, weekly

18 Carole { 08.08.13 at 9:32 pm }

I agree about the vegemite. While I like vegemite, you only put a thin scrape, not slather it on. I hate when Americans come here and they get them to try it and put it on so thickly, it’s no wonder they don’t like it.

I hate cooking with yeast. Years ago I tried making finger buns and tea cakes, but it was such a hassle waiting for it to rise. I can’t be bothered with all that.

19 PollyB { 08.14.13 at 1:11 pm }

Last night Nancy dropped her cheesecake base, then she dropped her cakes whilst taking them out of the oven. When she almost knocked a cake off the bench I screamed at her! I loved her doll. I hope she wins.

20 Daze { 08.14.13 at 1:38 pm }

Enjoyed last night, but it all goes too fast. Jonathan is a moaner and loves being in victim mode. Would be happy if any of the girls win Maria (very serious about her craft), Nancy (very creative) or Monique – astounded all with her tier cake last night. Brendan has gone, he was a pest to Jonathan and Maria and too sloppy and careless to have even been considered a contender.

21 Jane { 08.14.13 at 3:56 pm }

Jonathon talks like Kevin Rudd, all very clipped and intense. I think for his own good his next signature bake should be a valium tart. Nancy and Maria are both super creative but I think Maria has the edge on flavour.

22 Littlepetal { 08.14.13 at 4:09 pm }

Agree that Maria has a slight edge over Nancy as she has more years in baking. For her age, Nancy is amazing as she learnt her skills from You Tube. In the final anything can happen. Maria get stress when baking against the clock.

23 Rosie { 08.14.13 at 4:20 pm }

What a pleasure it was to see the end of the super annoying Brendan!

Love the Valium tart idea, Jane. I did like Jonathon, but his previous intensity seems to have become victimhood, which is not attractive. He has my permission to go next.

Kate Middleton seems to be blossoming, so good on her. I’ll be happy with a win for any of the remaining girls.

24 Daze { 08.14.13 at 5:45 pm }

Hope they give us more previewing time next year – it’s too swift but I guess that can be a good thing to dragged out MKR & MC. They’ve got this in the bag, no challenges, no back stories, some funny moments (dropping things) and I’ve learnt a few tips. Nancy is bright cookie and I wish I could fly to Melb to attend one of Maria’s classes (done at her home apparently)

25 emp { 08.15.13 at 1:08 pm }

It’s Maria’s to lose. It was pretty clear from pretty much episode one. I could tell Maria, Nancy, Joanthan and Brendon would last a while.

26 Taylor F { 08.15.13 at 9:40 pm }

I don’t think Maria will cope well in the final if she makes it through. She seems to crumble under pressure. She’s cried most episodes so far, or has snapped at the other bakers.

27 OLIVIA { 08.16.13 at 5:30 pm }

Loving this show. I agree they have got it right with this production – Well paced, no dramas, back stories, villians, just good ol’ fashioned cooking and may the best one win attitude – fabulous. Spot on with their selection of judges and hosts too. A wonderful show all round.

I haven’t cooked with yeast in 30 years, but I made the coffee scrolls and they were fabulous. The family loved them and I’ll be baking them again tomorrow.
I hope this show is on again next year. please!

28 jane walken { 08.20.13 at 4:41 pm }

Wow I so agree Marias eyes do not match her smile, she is not genuine. And all those tears make me dislike her even more. She turns on the tears for sympathy. Also agree that her baking is boring. Love to see Johnathon, nancy or monique win but not the whinger Maria get rid of her!

29 Rosie { 08.20.13 at 9:48 pm }

Bye bye, Kate Middleton.
I was sorry to see her go but she was clearly tonight’s loser.

Next week will be fun!

30 Littlepetal { 08.20.13 at 9:53 pm }

She is such a fun girl and she is enjoying herself.

Looking forward to next week. See whether Nancy can do something spectacular and win

31 PollyB { 08.21.13 at 8:55 am }

I yelled at Nancy again last night! I’m so glad she got through, I hope she wins.

32 Gabby { 08.21.13 at 9:11 am }

Nancy for the win!

33 Rosie { 08.21.13 at 2:11 pm }

Does anyone know how this show’s ratings are doing? I’d love to hear it’s pounding Masterchef into the dirt.

34 OLIVIA { 08.21.13 at 2:57 pm }

Evidently not too well at all, unfortunately. Wrong time slot – should be on when entire family can view.

35 Reality Raver { 08.21.13 at 3:00 pm }

Rosie – 622,000 last night not good at all and Olivia is right wrong time slot.