Masterchef Australia – Interview With Noelene

noelene mc

Noelene brought her own particular brand of sass to Masterchef Australia. The thrice married contestant had a few hit and misses with her dishes but she gave reality TV particularly as she said what she thought.

Here Noelene talks about the show, her future and who she would marry from the Masterchef house.

Reality Ravings: When you walked into last night’s challenge and you found out it had to be a dish with a Heston wow factor did you think you were gone?

Noelene Marchwiki: No not at all. I felt really comfortable as the type of thing I cooked last night, that’s me, that’s me and I felt really comfortable putting it there. I did not feel comfortable with the liquid nitrogen, but I thought maybe my style of cooking will get me over but it didn’t.

RR: What would you say was your hardest challenge in your Masterchef experience?

NM: Those cakes. The cakes with the love hearts on it. That was quite challenging as there were so many elements to it. I was really good until the custard split and once the custard split I was totally lost. Anything with a recipe with more then one page you count me out, that had five.

RR: Why did you go on the show?

NM: I went on the show because I could, and I wanted to and I was fortunate to be chosen to go on there. My son really encouraged me to do it. I am facing that empty nest and that is a bit daunting. And yes I am still facing that empty nest even on my return. I have come back stimulated and I have come back with so much to offer and I can do so many things. Life you have to takes what’s there and it is time for me to embark on a few things.

RR: What are those new things? What are your plans for the future?

NM: I want to really encourage people to get out of their comfort zones and have a go and it is OK. There is no such thing as failure, sometimes things don’t work out and it is OK as long as you have had a go. I want to tell people, as I really believe  you don’t have to be a Masterchef to enjoy cooking. You can just embrace something you really love and chase that dream.

RR: You’re an older person. How did you find living in a shared house after all those years?

NM: I found it bloody noisy and bloody messy. Don’t forget I’ve had five children and now I have two grand children  so I guess I handled it better then some others there as it is like having family around. The hardest thing was there was no down time, there was no time to yourself there was always someone in your face.

RR: The editing we saw that you and Kelty had a bit of friction. Is that true?

NM: No – Kelty and I actually got on. The editing was done very very well. I got on with everybody pretty well. They knew where they stood with me as I told them straight. They were very respectful, but that is not to say at times they really annoyed the shit out of me.

RR: You’ve be married three times, if you were to marry a fourth time and it had to be one of the Masterchef contestant’s from this year who would it be?

NM: Holy God I would turn into a nun! [laughs] I am not even going there.

RR: So Rishi and Lynton did not turn your head?

NM: The dish of the day did not do a lot for me. I have sons older then him.

RR: Who are the contenders?

NM: I can only speak from what I believe and what I feel and I think you have to watch Rishi and Samira.

RR: Would you go on another reality show and what would it be regardless of talent?

NM: I would never say never. My experience was bloody hard, it was the hardest thing I had ever done. There were days I thought I thought “what the hell made you think this was going to be a good idea”. Having said that I possibly would go on one. It would have nothing to do with swimming. It would have nothing to do with lots of exercise but anything else I would give a crack.

1 Rosie { 08.08.13 at 4:21 pm }

Samira? SAMIRA??!! She thinks SAMIRA is a contender??!!
Oh for fuck’s sake…

2 Andrea { 08.08.13 at 4:25 pm }

Well, they were best friends so I suppose she thinks she has to back her, won’t happen though!

3 brain dead dave { 08.08.13 at 4:27 pm }

“There is no such thing as failure” said Noelene.

Only a failure would say that.

The full story is:

“There’s no such thing as failure~ and failure’s no success at all” Bob Dylan said that.

4 Littlepetal { 08.08.13 at 4:43 pm }

Samira is good with Middle Eastern dishes. If they keep letting her cook that she will win.
Anna will be right then-a mumsy will win.

5 abc { 08.08.13 at 7:53 pm }

if she thinks samira is a contender them maybe she has won….lyk last year deb said that andy and julia are the once to watch out for and they reached the finals and andy won.
I just hope and prey badly that i am wrong about what i said about samira.

6 Culinary Boner { 08.08.13 at 9:25 pm }

While it’s a sad indictment on MasterChef this year that a cook as limited as Noelene, an average-to-okay homecook, made it so far, she at least had something so many contestants since the 2010 season lacked – the balls to say what you think.

Her total lack of awe of Heston this week was refreshing compared to the squealing or stunned-mullet arse licking that most contestants on this show engage in. Even my kids’ adoration of One Direction doesn’t stoop as low as the cringeworthy performances we’ve seen with Nigella, Jamie and Rick Stein in past seasons.

Good interview, Raver. Finally someone who just says what they want to say without incoherent rambling or an eye to some delusional post-show ‘career’.

Despite the usual production flaws and mediocre judges, I quite enjoyed being reacquainted with Heston this week. While some of his food ideas don’t float my boat he remains an outstanding example of how a critical, curious, inquiring mind combined with almost pedantic method and professionalism can create greatness. Pity he didn’t get a full week with contestants like Badenoch, Poh, Justine, Adam and, of course ,the lovely Skye.

Hope they paid him well.

7 daisy { 08.08.13 at 9:30 pm }

CB there is a biology question you can help me with on the BB thread.

8 Anna { 08.08.13 at 11:43 pm }

With luck Samira is now out of the house and probably will read this interview LOL

Don’t see people who don’t think outside the box as contenders. Still think that Christina will take it out

9 Zhee and her stuck comments { 08.09.13 at 7:30 am }

RR: Why did you go on the show?

Haha, love that – even though I disliked Noelene. She was too grumpy for me. No wonder she and Amina’s evil twin sister got along well with each other.

10 Joseph Skyrim { 08.09.13 at 2:08 pm }

Thanks Noelene, you were interesting to watch! :)

Unfortunately BDD (#3) is right, and failure does exist. However I tend to look at things like this:

11 brain dead dave { 08.09.13 at 2:14 pm }

There’s a lady who’s sure all her fritters are gold

And she’s frying a stairway to heaven.

12 Socs { 08.11.13 at 8:54 pm }

I don’t know, I quite like Noelene; I can see myself being her in 30 years!
And I like how she cooks ‘weird’ stuff–things that a lot of Asians eat that people in our affluent society are used to discarding.

13 Anna { 08.11.13 at 8:58 pm }

Fish heads should not be discarded, they are great for making fish stock/soup.

In the beginning of time people are everything, nose to tail. Nothing was wasted. A lot of Chefs are going back to those days. Colin is one of them. Porky pig nose to tail.

Tried pigs tail, it was poached I think. Expected it to be crispy… Guess I confused it with pigs ears that he serves crispy..

14 Littlepetal { 08.11.13 at 9:13 pm }

Nothing unusual here. Chinese eat every part of the pig. I grew up drinking pig tails with peanut soup. If you go to Chinatown or Cabramatta, you can get some braised pig’s ears. They are crunchy because they are mostly cartilage.

15 Socs { 08.11.13 at 9:20 pm }

I’ll eat most parts of the pigs apart from the liver. I don’t like the metallic taste! Was at an Asian butcher today and saw pig’s uterus! That’s one part I’ve not had before!
Anna-deep fried fish heads are delicious! Mum loves them deep fried with rice noodles. =)

16 Anna { 08.11.13 at 9:23 pm }

Littlepetal, I think Colin fries them

Socs, I’ve not tried pigs liver nor uterus, I’m sure it will happen sooner or later LOL

Had some sweetbread today, have not eaten it in ages. Not something I feel like stuffing around with at home.

17 Littlepetal { 08.11.13 at 9:28 pm }

I love pig’s liver. Quite fry with lots of ginger or just pour hot water over sliced liver with ginger. If you are low in iron, liver is the best remedy.

Sliced liver with sliced pork goes well with some fried noodles. Now I am hungry. BTW I have not eaten all these for ages.

18 Littlepetal { 08.11.13 at 9:30 pm }

Anna-if you are in Chatswood, there is a stall that served fried salmon head in a noodle soup. Cheap and good. Very popular.

19 Anna { 08.11.13 at 9:32 pm }

Littlepetal, I have MSG intolerance. If they use it, I’ll get sick…

20 Littlepetal { 08.11.13 at 9:34 pm }

Sorry Anna. Not sure whether they use MSG or not. Can’t believe what they tell you.

21 Socs { 08.11.13 at 9:35 pm }

Oooo yes, you’re right, liver with pork and hokkien noodles that you get in KL–delicious.

22 Anna { 08.11.13 at 9:37 pm }

They are never sure, or they say ‘a little bit”. A new Japanese place at Westfield lvl 5 add it to ramen. Apparently without it there is no taste. Which means that they don’t make stock and just use water…. bleargh

23 Littlepetal { 08.11.13 at 9:38 pm }

Socs-the hokkien noodles with thick black sauce?

24 Littlepetal { 08.11.13 at 9:44 pm }

I don’t think you can get taste just by using MSG but MSG can enhance the flavours.

Many of Lee Kum Kee and Asian sauces have MSG in it. You have to look at the ingredients to be sure there is no MSG.

25 Anna { 08.11.13 at 9:50 pm }

I don’t buy anything in bottles, jars, tins. cans… everything fresh

26 Littlepetal { 08.11.13 at 9:53 pm }

For Chinese or Malaysian cooking we need our oyster sauce, plum sauce and some other sauces. Cannot do without oyster sauce.

27 Anna { 08.11.13 at 9:54 pm }

They can be made from scratch

28 Littlepetal { 08.11.13 at 9:59 pm }

Too much work !

29 Socs { 08.11.13 at 9:59 pm }

LP–Yes, the thick noodles with the thick sauce, with bits of pork crackling through it.

Anna–Oyster sauce can be made from scratch, but it’s a lot of work. Plus, I don’t think my oysters will last that long; I’ll probably eat them all before I get to make it into sauce!

This is a cracking read on MSG if you’re interested =)

30 daisy { 08.11.13 at 10:08 pm }

We use fish sauce quite often. I couldn’t imagine making it from scratch. Ever smelt a fish sauce factory? Peeewww! You can smell it from afar.

31 daisy { 08.11.13 at 10:14 pm }

Littlepetal, anyone else I have a question.
I just heard Emma saying PILAFF rice. I wrote double f because that’s how she was pronouncing it. I always call it pilau rice. I know it is sometimes written pilaf which I assumed would be pronounced with a silent f. Now I am confused because I thought they were the same dish, same pronunciation but different spelling. Just curious.

32 Socs { 08.12.13 at 12:28 am }

According to the internet you’re both right! Depending on where you’re from you’d say pilau (Persian) or pilav (Turkish). I’ve always said pilaf myself, probably because the first time I ate it was in Istanbul.

33 daisy { 08.12.13 at 8:14 am }