Masterchef Australia – Team Challenge In Dubai

After a five minute advertorial for Qantas, which I actually did not have a problem with, the contestants landed in Dubai. After being taken to the top of the Burj to stand on its helipad they were told they would be cooking for some Emirates and they would be cooking in pairs.

They were split into teams of two and for once Samira was not a liability. It was a random draw on the main protein depending on what coloured apron they picked.

Kelty and Samira drew lamb, Rishi and Kristina fish, Daniel and Emma had chicken and Lynton and Lucy drew camel. Lynton and Lucy getting camel saw them already at the back of the pack. Also they only had two hours to cook it and apparently it is a tough meat and needs to be cooked for some time.

They also did not have a good time in the souk where they were buying ingredients they did not seem to bother haggling. Therefore they spent 200 of their 600 dirhams on spices.

Rishi on the other hand managed to get all of his fish for 25 dirhams.

Kelty and Samira were shopping for lamb, with the butchers yelling at them that it was Australian lamb but it more like mutton. Maybe that is what they mean by export quality. After  guest judge, Greg Malouf, saw their backstrap for their kebbe neyah he told them to throw it out. Samira was taking charge and  Kelty was basically her sous chef.

However she was stressed and melting down and Samira had a mini-meltdown and walked off. However I think the editing was done to make it look like it was right at the end and that she only came back to plate up with one minute to go.

Lynton and Lucy were never in the running particularly when he admitted ” My first mistake is not the pre-heat the oven.”

The opposite was happening on Emma and Daniel’s team with him having trouble working how to use the burns so was fiddling with the knobs and turning a gas burner back on under her pilaf. Emma was not happy and was saying they could not serve it if it was burnt. They cooked the crowns of their chicken only and had stuffed it under the skin. They were the only ones who plated up dessert on their platter. Even though it as only watermelon covered in orange water, with crushed halva, mint and pomegranate seeds it was well received. George Mehigan thought it was a true reception of the Middle East.

Gary Mehigan must have gotten lost in the souk or he was sick as he was not a judge on the challenge.

Rishi and Christina made fish which was perfectly cooked however the Emirates thought it was weird they served it with hommous. Also Greg Malouf thought the spices were too potent.

Fish and hoummous is not served together. Greg malouf thought the spices they used was too potent.

The Emma and Daniel’s chicken platter, George thought it was a true reflection of the middle east.

Samira and Kelty served up a very hot eggplant chutney which nearly killed George and their chances of winning.

The blue team won which indicates both  Emma and Daniel are peaking at the right time.  They won a fabulous trip with Matt Preston to Paris flying first class with Emireates. However I did find it strange they could not find something else to do in Dubai, maybe it was about showing Dubai as a gateway to Europe.

1 Eliza { 08.12.13 at 6:02 pm }

I think Rishi is known for being a bit bossy, Anna! One of the other contestants made a remark about it in a previous episode. To be honest, if I were him in that group I would prob get a bit bossy too if I knew my knowledge of food was better and I was a better cook. No one seems to dislike him though so he must be ok about it.

You guys might just be right about no one going home. I think it would be a bit silly sending someone off from Dubai. They seem to like promoting the Lynton breakdowns.. This means he may just have more air time 😉 Christina has probably had more breakdowns and crises of confidence!

2 bron { 08.12.13 at 6:04 pm }

eaux at that picture of ben. i will scream if rishi goes tonight because that would be an absolute joke. i feel like it’s lucy though, lynton goes “what” and turns to look at his left and i think lucy is there.

3 Carole { 08.12.13 at 6:30 pm }

I’ve tried camel Bel, in outback Australia. Wasn’t that keen on it. I rode a camel too, hated it, couldn’t wait to get off it, it’s really scary.

4 Bel { 08.12.13 at 8:14 pm }

Thanks Anna@50 :)

Eliza @51, yeah I see what you mean about Rishi being bossy… I dunno, I still like him for some reason.

Carole@53… glad someone has actually eaten it. If it’s anything like goat (and I’ve no reason to think it is) then it’s only good for curry, when it’s drowned in many, many spices.

LOL tonight at George poking Lynton saying “Oi, look at moy”. Kath and Kim want their catchphrase back.

5 abc { 08.12.13 at 8:17 pm }

@bolders (…..) these are suppose to mean nothing. I just do it out of habit. Sorry if it annoys you.
Has anyone else noticed that Former Contestant in not commenting any more. :)

6 emp { 08.12.13 at 8:20 pm }

FC probably got lost in Joobai

7 Littlepetal { 08.12.13 at 8:28 pm }

Anna@47 Business class on A380 have skybeds.

8 emp { 08.12.13 at 8:31 pm }

it’s funny how we all laughed at kelty in the beginning and now he will probably win :(

9 Littlepetal { 08.12.13 at 8:35 pm }

Kelty did well tonight but still don’t like him to win.

They all cooked well tonight

10 Georgietake2 { 08.12.13 at 8:41 pm }

Anybody else notice Samira suffers from bitchy resting face? Everyone looked happy/shocked at the end, she just looked grumpy. I agree with Littlepetal, don’t want Kelty to win. Tonight’s result was OK.

11 Littlepetal { 08.12.13 at 8:47 pm }

Out of this lot, I wouldn’t want Kelty, Emma, Samira and Daniel to win.

But I am always wrong!

12 Veronica { 08.12.13 at 8:54 pm }

Yes Georgietake2 @60 I noticed that Samira didn’t look very happy. Everyone else got a mention except her and she seemed to be the only one not happy about no one being eliminated.
I still can’t stand Kelty!

13 Anna { 08.12.13 at 8:57 pm }

How the hell did the quail cook didn’t make it elimo?

Would have been poetic justice :-)

14 Bel { 08.12.13 at 9:07 pm }

Loathing tonight’s result, so much! *spoilers ahead for o/s viewers*

Kudos to the people who predicted no-one would be eliminated tonight- nice instincts! But really- this is now MasterSook. It’s gone from best home cook to best sob story. Lynton’s family lost the farm, Christina has kids- boo friggin’ hoo. You could almost see the other contestants working up their personal tragedies in their heads for their turn.

It’s as if the producers looked at the ratings of MKR and thought ‘we can do this too’. No, producers! MKR was a different show- you didn’t need to copy that drama-filled format. We liked MC for the COOKING.

I’d bet George and Gary (or whomever does the hiring at their restaurants) don’t ask the interviewees how badly they want the job in order to choose from the greatest personal hardship.

Sorry for the moan, but this is really unfair. And has nothing to do with cooking.

15 Anna { 08.12.13 at 9:13 pm }

Bel, the most annoying, loudest contestant that’s left, made the dish too sweet (surprise, surprise), wasn’t criticed & stood there just sulking

Time to send her HOME!!!

16 Littlepetal { 08.12.13 at 9:26 pm }

Lucy has no chance. She has no sob story unless it is waiting to be told. Those with kid always said they want to do the children proud. What if you can’t cook?

Kelty want to be a chef. Isn’t he the house husband? Chefs have long hours. He was doing very well in his previous job. It is not easy to give that up when you still have young kids.

17 Littlepetal { 08.12.13 at 9:30 pm }

Tomorrow challenge is Chinese or Mexican food. Samira could be in trouble here as she is in the same team as Emma, Lucy and Daniel. Daniel and Emma won’t be eliminated. That will leave Samira or Lucy.

Or this team will be safe and the other 4 go into elimination.

18 Bel { 08.12.13 at 9:37 pm }

Anna@65- yes to everything you said!

Little Petal@61- agreed, I wouldn’t like a top 2 of any combination of Kelty, Samira, Emma or Daniel. On cooking it should be Rishi and Christina, with Rishi winning.

Lynton’s beef dish tonight looked and sounded delicious, even without the croquette.

Kelty is (grudgingly) growing on me. That unfailing optimism (however delusional) gets harder to resist. Still want him booted out though.

How many weeks of this are left? I’m too into it now to stop but please let it be over soon?

19 daisy { 08.12.13 at 9:38 pm }

Bel, thanks for the spoiler warning. It’s just starting here soon.

Still say what bugs me about Samira is her bullish sense of entitilement. It’s like it just seethes up out of her. I think if the winner is going to be the best, most consistent cook, I am thinking it has probably been Rishi and Christina. It’s just so hard to tel based on cooking because there isn’t a stand out.
If the winner is based on marketability, you can’t hae Lynton because he is an Andy clone and Christina looks a bit like Marion. Kelty looks blaaah. Rishi is a bit ‘whatever’ (although I might be the only one who doesn’t think he’s cute). Maybe Lucy, Emma or Samira will win because they hae a differentt look. Please not dirty Danoel.
I think Emma will win because she looks like a warm, chubby blond cook.

20 Georgietake2 { 08.12.13 at 10:02 pm }

Time for them to stop cooking in teams, stop using other people’s recipes and start competing on there own skill. But you can’t drag the weak cooks through that way, so it’s not going to happen. Yes a sense of entitlement sums it up, she got a second chance, and still stands there begrudging others their escape. Christina, Lucy, Rishi and I don’t mind Emma, but not for the win. Lynton looks ill

21 Littlepetal { 08.12.13 at 10:03 pm }

But Emma can’t cook. Samira will be so arrogant that people will be scared of her. If you don’t like her cookbook, she may kill you!
Lucy is quite sweet but Pommie accent-can we cope?

22 Littlepetal { 08.12.13 at 10:11 pm }

Bel-My guess is only 2 more weeks after this week. If 2 elimination next week, we will be down to 5 for the final week. Then 1 eliminated each night and finale on Sun. Unless C9 want to drag it out.

23 Andrea { 08.12.13 at 10:28 pm }

I thought it was awful too dragging out the sob stories at the end, completely spoilt it because we felt sorry for them both.
The food looked really good and tomorrow night looks interesting.

24 Anna { 08.12.13 at 10:33 pm }

There is no masterclarse this week either

Since no one went home this week (planned by producers) 2 will go home next week

Over the next two weeks 1 will go home

Guessing finale will be on the 8th September

25 lulu { 08.12.13 at 10:37 pm }

Is Christina a protected species or what? Pleasant enough, but just fluffs around and keeps getting away with it.
Great prediction, Littlepetal, as always.
I can’t stand this year with the incessant team challenges, mass cooking etc. We know this show’s a joke, but give us what we want: individual cooking.
Love Lucy .. no whining, no sob story, a real trooper who can cook.

26 Littlepetal { 08.12.13 at 10:48 pm }

My guess the Finale will be on the 1 Sept. Usually 12 weeks series. If Finale on the 1 Sept, it will be a 13 weeks series.

27 brain dead dave { 08.12.13 at 10:51 pm }

Oh, Lynton’s a pig. After the sweating last night , tonight he tastes from the pot with the entire spoon in his mouth and then shakes the droplets remaining back into the pot.

The sob stories were just as embarrassing as the contrived outcome.

Nice work , Littlepetal.

28 Littlepetal { 08.12.13 at 10:57 pm }

BDD-you don’t need to do much, C10 just have spoilers all the time.

They could have sent one of them packing tonight but will mess out tomorrow challenge if they only have 7 contestants left.

29 daisy { 08.12.13 at 11:39 pm }

Lulu, love Lucy too.

30 Georgietake2 { 08.12.13 at 11:44 pm }

I love Lucy.

31 Eliza { 08.13.13 at 12:17 am }

I like Lucy as well.. no crap, agree she just gets on with it. Unfortunately I don’t think she will be the winner though, and Daisy, I don’t find Rishi attractive either.

So over the sob stories as well.. they are just becoming WAY too much of a focus. It’s a stupid and unfair advantage.. I mean, who seriously wants to have a sob story so they will advance further in a reality TV show?! That’s what it is becoming like! You don’t deserve to be here until you overcome adversity in some way, or someone close to you dies. It’s not cool.

abc, I get your use of …. it’s like a thinking pause to a related point. I am a bit of an over users of it as well.. 😛 I too was just thinking that Former Contestant had gone quiet.

BDD, I too noticed Lynton shake the remnants of his licked spoon into the pot. They obviously don’t learn the importance of hygiene when cooking for other people. As a bit of a germophobe this grosses me out, but I do notice many people that I know don’t have great hygiene when it comes to touching/preparing food so I am glad that there are others out there that don’t love licked/dirty fingers in their food, as many don’t seem to mind… yuk!

32 abc { 08.13.13 at 12:56 am }

@eliza if people have problem with me using(…..) then i will probably stop. will be tough though. FC has gone may be he/she being a former contestant was just a lie.

33 Zhee and her stuck comments { 08.13.13 at 7:41 am }

Regarding the sob stories, Emma might not win in the end. I think she has none. But then again… maybe someone pushed here from her bike, stole it and then left her with those awful bangs…

Wah, it looked so funny when tiny George was standing next to Christina. He looks like a hobbit just with no hair.

I like Lucy as well, she’s composed especially when you compare her with Samira who thinks she deserves to be in the “competition” and bla bla bla.
I don’t mind Kelty progressing further. He’s willing to learn, is not as stubborn as Amina’s evil twin sister.

I have a feeling that Christina might win. She’s quite marketable and she could be used as some big inspiration bei the producers. Ohhh, look what that woman has overcome and now she’s a Masterchef. Might work for a month or two after the show is finished and people talk about the new MKR season again.

34 Dave { 01.07.14 at 6:26 pm }

When they filmed in Paris does anyone know the name or where that amazing patisserie is? It looked amazing and they labelled it the best in Paris. Going there next week and would love to go there.

35 Reality Raver { 01.08.14 at 12:53 am }

Hi Dave, I am not sure. Have you thought about contacting Matt Preston or Emma Dean via their twitter or FB accounts to ask them?