Big Brother Australia – Producer Says There Is No Elimination Edit

In Big Brother particularly without any live feeds what we know about the contestants is what we see on our screens each night.

Some get a positive edit and others a negative one. In fact this year the nomination nights have been the most revelationary in regard to finding out what the contestant’s are like.

Last year after nominations on the Monday I thought there was an elimination edit, where the person they wanted gone was shown in a negative light. However in an interview on TV Tonight, producer of BB Alex Mavroidakis denies this is the case.

The article says:

“I’ve been here for 9 years and I’ve heard about vote-rigging, producers playing favourites, people getting favourable edits and all how we portray them,” he defends.

“But the housemates go to bed at 1am, by 4:00 in the morning we have to have our first segments roughed out. By 11:00 in the morning we’re screening to the network. We don’t have time to sit there and say ‘Today we’ll make David look bad.’

“Here are the best bits of the day. Let’s make them make sense in the story arc. Bang.

“I’ve read this week that ‘We’ve hardly seen Sharon.’ But there are 17 housemates all screaming for attention and if Sharon isn’t talking what are we supposed to do?

“Our most hated housemate, and our most loved housemate, won the series last year. With Vote to Save, which is the best invention in the history of BB, our bigger characters that force a reaction will stay longer. If it was Vote to Evict we would have Tim in the press room now and Ben would have been the first evictee last year.”

I am not sure I am fully convinced about, but do agree if a housemate is not doing much it does make it difficult to give them air tim.

Full interview here.

1 brain dead dave { 08.14.13 at 1:56 pm }

Bullshit,Alex.

I nominate you for four points.

2 Andrea { 08.14.13 at 2:18 pm }

I don’t believe it, sorry.
How can you expert the quieter housemates such as Sharon, to act funny and outrageous all the time, if its not in their nature?
Of course the loud mouth extroverts are going to get all the attention which is not really fair to the others.
I doubt very much that Ben would have been the first one evicted last year if they didn’t have vote to save!

3 daisy { 08.14.13 at 3:27 pm }

I there is at least an element of truth simply because it makes sense. Of course when they can only produce less than an hour’s TV, they will select the interesting and funny bits.

And any long time BB iewers knows what used to happen with vote to evict. The bland charaters stayed longer. And look how people hated Tim in the first week. He’s be long gone, whereas now he might win with a vote to save.

With vote to evict Michael would have had the hammering he deserved.

4 Gabby { 08.14.13 at 3:48 pm }

I don’t believe we see the best they have to offer. From what Live Feed I have watched I have seen far better viewing and stories than what they have put on the TV. I think the people they choosing what to choose are very concerned about the PGR rating. It is ridiculous some of the rubbish they are dishing up to us, an insult.

5 DDD { 08.14.13 at 4:34 pm }

Andrea, if its not in their nature then that’s their problem, because that is the nature of the show. You can’t take up prime TV time, with someone who isn’t being entertaining. They gave her a chance and she didn’t take it, although she was probably no more dull than Matt/Ed and there was probably not much she could do without being seen to be fake.

As someone who always felt Sara Marie should have won over dull/nice Ben in the first BB, I like the vote to save

6 daisy { 08.14.13 at 4:41 pm }

Sharon saying she couldn’t be bothered talking to the 1/2 way house people, when Xavier (I think) suggested that she should, shows that she held back.

The more interesting people were in the 1/2 way house and it would have given her more opportunity to show a lighter side. As it happens, she and Tim hit it off but we didn’t get to see it, probably because he was in the 1/2 way house.

7 brain dead dave { 08.14.13 at 7:13 pm }

Show us the actual voting figures , Alex. What have you got to hide?

Hell will freeze over before then.

8 daisy { 08.14.13 at 7:44 pm }

ALex if you are going to fudge the results can you please make sure Matt, Caleb and Ed get the flick next, in that order.
The Hee Hee and Eeee Eeee.

9 Gabby { 08.14.13 at 8:14 pm }

Haha, good onya Tim, have to say he is growing on me. He ate the ice cream again.
God, Ben just got the back story out there in one quick, foul, swoop.

10 DDD { 08.15.13 at 12:23 am }

Someone I know just liked Sharon’s new official Facebook page where she has put her description as ‘Entertainer’. So maybe she has an ironic sense of humour that wasn’t shown!