Masterchef Australia – Most Embarrassing Episode Ever?

It is a pity Kerry Vincent from The Great Australian Bake Off is not a judge on Masterchef as she was needed last night so the viewer could hear her go “oh dear, oh dear, oh dear”.

The elimination challenge was a fantastic concept with the QANTAS food map of the world, but the standard of cooking for top eight was embarrassing. Hell the standard of cooking last night was worse then top 50.

Emma was probably peeved that she used her immunity pin once she saw what was served.  Daniel, Samira and Lucy were duking it out for survival. The first challenge was to pick a continent and cook a dish from the ingredients on there.

Samira predictable picked Africa, and cooked what she knew. But that was probably wise as she was the only one who put up a decent but simple dish of Dukkah Lamb Cutlets with eggplant purree. They did only have 45 minutes to cook in.

Daniel grabbed Australia and he wanted to showcase seafood and what he dished up looked like a mess on a plate.

Lucy had a brain explosion and went for Asian but apparently is allergic to ginger and is not a fan of the cuisine. She ended up having to be coached by the peanut gallery and George. She made seafood cakes and she was going to put some crab salad on the top of it but ran out of time.

It was no surprise that Samira was safe. Samira then had to select a continent for Lucy and Daniel to cook a dish from. She decided on North America as she saw a lot of sweet and savoury ingredients that would play to both their strengths.

But clearly it didn’t. Daniel who allegedly has a Dude Food Cookbook decided to make a Smoked Salmon Bagel. Well should say assemble as there was very little cooking apart from some pan roasted sweet potatoes to go with it. Just as well there were not hot dogs and rolls there as he probably would have cooked that.

Julie, Pip, Verne, and Liliana must have been throwing bricks at the TV after watching this.

Lucy who looked like she was a contender to win at one stage also was dreadful. She made a Washington Mess which was really going to be an Eton Mess. She tricked it up by making candied pecans and maple syrup cream. But it was meringue, fresh berries and cream. Not a lot of skill required.

The judges were quite kind to them but seriously they were basically able to cook what they wanted and they still could not come up with anything interesting.

In the end Daniel was eliminated because of his plating up, but quite frankly both should have been eliminated.

1 Eliza { 08.19.13 at 5:59 pm }

Thanks Daze! I for one was just trying to help, not tell someone what to do.

Anna, isn’t porridge oats.. and I did mention this the first thing due to their ability to release sustained energy. The whole oats have been said to be a great option as it is better to eat things chunky style rather than ground up. Protein at breakfast is also very important and porridge doesn’t give you a whole lot.. Fruits such as berries are also fantastic as they offer a lot of nutritional value but are not as high in sugar as some others.

Anyway, abc can take all this information on board for herself and find what is right for her. Who knows, she may hate porridge so there are other options out there. I was simply trying to share some easy ways to get started into eating more healthily that are sustainable and work.

I am not sure why PTs are a waste of money.. I think for some they can be really helpful esp with exercise programs for people who don’t have the time to trawl the internet for information. Of course there will be those who have a better understanding of the human body than others.

2 Anna { 08.19.13 at 6:16 pm }

Thank you Dave!!!!

Eliza, drinking protein shakes puts on kg, unless you have muscle mass.

Prior to surgery I was told to eat porridge for breakfast. Kind of put a dampener on eating what ever prior to going under the knife, not that I had an appetite that the morning…

Berries aren’t available 365, berries are a great snack or can be seen as one of the small meals (morning/afternoon tea).

Most PT’s a lazy, hell mine was, and he was a former body builder. That’s why I said when abc feels strong enough, then if she feels so inclined to consider boot camp. Trainers there provide motivation and other members support. Boot camp is tough

3 Eliza { 08.19.13 at 6:41 pm }

Fair enough.. but there are other options too.. plenty of people with knowledge also recommend other things such as eggs, yoghurt and fruit. These are also valid options. Are you a qualified dietician? I am just curious..

I eat berries in oats when I have them.. if they aren’t available, I will substitute. There is no harm in having fruit with your breakfast.

Do you have references to material where they have talked about protein shakes putting on weight?? I would like to read these. Protein helps to repair the muscles after exercise so I am unsure how adding whey protein to milk as a quick post workout meal can make you put on weight? You can’t actually bulk unless you are eating a surplus amount of calories.

Sure, some PTs may be lazy, some may be great. Some boot camps may be crap, others may be good. I don’t think you can/it’s good to generalise.

4 Anna { 08.19.13 at 6:49 pm }

Eliza, as you said, you drink it post work out. Muscle needs protein to rebuild.

No I’m not a qualified dietician. You cannot eat eggs daily, fruit alone is not enough to get you till lunch.

Depends on yoghurt, if you are talking supermarket one then it’s better to go with banana as post exercise kick

If you are going to train then you have to purge your body of toxins, by not consuming any.

I used to have a PT, I used to tell him he is lazy when he would tell me that my body is lazy, he found it funny. I learned a lot from him even though I didn’t get results I wanted

5 brain dead dave { 08.19.13 at 6:56 pm }

I had to give up my personal trainer, His name was Dan Murphy.

6 Anna { 08.19.13 at 6:58 pm }

Dave, he is missing your support :-)

7 Eliza { 08.19.13 at 7:06 pm }

I drink my protein shake post workout.

I never said to eat eggs daily.. You are allowed to mix it up a bit. I never said to just eat fruit for breakfast. I am not sure where you are getting these words from? I keep finding words placed into my mouth.

That was your PT.. I wouldn’t label them all as being lazy is what I am saying.

Haha, BDD.. he would have been trying to give you a beer belly, surely?

8 daisy { 08.19.13 at 7:27 pm }

With all this weight loss advice, has anyone considered age and health issues. It will make a difference.

9 Anna { 08.19.13 at 7:46 pm }

Somewhere above I suggest visit to he docs for blood pressure, blood tests