The X Factor Australia – The Home Visits

Is it just me or is there a lack of talent in the show this year? After watching last night’s episode there were very few standout performers and all categories except the under 24 girls will be hard pressed finding three good acts for the live shows.

The only stand out in the over 24’s which Danni Minogue will be mentoring, was piano teacher Dami Im. Cat Vas who I really liked was struggling at the New York home visit and Barry Southgate will probably get chosen to go through but he does not have winner stamped on his forehead.

The groups who are mentored by Natalie Bassingthwaite only had one highlight and that was Adira Belle. The other groups were pretty shonky and Natalie told the boy band at the end that they needed to swap lead vocals to have any chance. In fact with a smart mentoring from Natalie Adira Belle might give her a win. Hopefully they will bust out an En Vogue song soon.

The under 24 boys were very thin in talent. Sure Jai Waetford is cute but far too young for this year. Taylor Henderson had a great voice singing Isn’t She Lovely by Stevie Wonder but he choked. Ronan did not look happy at all.

Redfoo is sitting with the winner in his under 24 girls. He has Vendulka, also the talented Joelle and I am not a huge Georgina Mastin fan as she is too inconsistent but her rendition of a Katie Perry number was good. Though powerhouse singer Riv Ngwenya might be a more sensible choice.

Who do you think should go to the live shows?

1 Danielle { 08.19.13 at 11:10 am }

Yeah I agree about the lack of talent. I got bored watching and started complaining that they all sounded the same. Great singers but nothing unique about them.
I do like Jiordan and Vendulka but x factor doesn’t like folsky singers so they go to the Voice.
You didn’t mention about Matt Gresham quitting. I don’t think he liked the idea of judges picking his songs.
I always thought Kylie was self absorbed and she showed that last night. She didn’t have much to say about any of the acts.
Guy apparently doesn’t like any of the groups.

2 Sandii { 08.19.13 at 11:22 am }

What do you think about Ellie in the under 24 girls. I liked her voice. Ithink the young Jai is a bit too young for the competition. Having said that isn’t there a couple of 15 year old girls?

3 q { 08.19.13 at 11:22 am }

Nat did not look impressed with any of the group performances
From the few episodes I’ve seen it seems quite clear that Barry and Jai are being set up to go to the live shows

interesting that australia’s got talent was getting close #viewers last night- did anyone watch it (ie is it better than when it was on 7 last year?)

4 brain dead dave { 08.19.13 at 11:25 am }

I think there’s three or four semi- passable acts but I can’t remember their names and doubt that there will ever be a need to. See you on the dark side of the moon,gice.

Jai’s cute but even cute little baby crocodiles grow into unwelcome monsters. The judges are just messing with his head saying he’s good.

Yes, q. AGT has improved. Dawn French is funny, Geri is smokin’ and Timomatic’s okay too.

Kyle’s trying to be nice, but how long can it last?

Give me a rug cutting poodle without a back story any day.

5 q { 08.19.13 at 12:03 pm }

@bdd what’s a rug cutting poodle?

6 LB { 08.19.13 at 12:04 pm }

How gypped must the groups feel getting sent to Qld when the others were sent to NY, LA & London? As we were watching it, said bet they will be sent somewhere close by as there were so many of them & off they went to Qld. Couple the big numbers with Nat as their mentor who was heavily pregnant & the groups didn’t stand a chance of having to get a passport.

Thought many of them were really struggling last night. Guess they will step it up tonight.

JBJ was fantastic with the contestants, but really how many under 24’s would really know who he is or squeal for him?

7 pete { 08.19.13 at 1:04 pm }

I disagree… the talent has been amazing this year.. i think they just create a bit of drama to ensure that we get hooked onto the show.. the potential talent in each category has been amazing… i actually think the weakest group this year is the over 24 however the strongest singer happens to be Dami.. I am excited for the next few shows and the live shows next week.
Will you be covering X factor on your blog? I do hope so because i do enjoy your commentary..

8 Lily { 08.19.13 at 1:14 pm }

So happy to see dami back!

9 brain dead dave { 08.19.13 at 1:28 pm }

#5~ q, a rug cutting poodle is a dancing poodle. Doesn’t require autotune, either.

10 TV { 08.19.13 at 3:00 pm }

So curious to know what the actual story with Matt Gresham is/was….

11 Eliza { 08.19.13 at 3:40 pm }

I was thinking the exact same thing, LB.. They prob didn’t want to send them all o/s and Nat wouldn’t have been able to travel. I was thinking gypped too!

Totally agree RR and others.. The talent this year seems a bit meh so far. I was really bored watching and didn’t go wow to anyone! I do like Dami bc she can really sing. Why was she not chosen to go thru in the first place?? I guess this is the X factor, not the voice…

12 Blake { 08.19.13 at 5:47 pm }

To be honest, I’m finding The X Factor leaps and bounds better than The Voice this year, then again that’s not saying much.

13 Blake { 08.19.13 at 5:49 pm }

I also think this years Boys category is far more talented then last year’s, but once again, that’s not exactly huge compliment. It would t matter anyway, if Jason Owen was able to reach second place, then no judge who mentors the boys will ever be the first one out of acts.

14 Eliza { 08.19.13 at 6:08 pm }

I do like X Factor more than The Voice.. For some reason I find it more entertaining.. I think bc there is less sucking up and more criticism.

Agree, Blake.. last year’s under 24 guys wasn’t great. I haven’t taken much notice until now, but was also underwhelmed by the overs as well.. Will Danni put Barry into the top 12.. da daa daaaaa.

15 Izobel2 { 08.19.13 at 6:47 pm }

Must be hard to be a ‘group’ when usually you’re a solo singer.
I’m surprised the Swedish Brothers are so crap now, when they were great in their first audition.
I thought Nat Bass had had her baby by the time they went to Qld. But yeah I’d be sending all those troops to Qld instead of sending them overseas!

16 Dr T { 08.19.13 at 8:46 pm }

“Is it just me or is there a lack of talent in the show this year? ”

Did you recycle that quote from your entry in the 2nd week of masterchef RR???

17 Reality Raver { 08.19.13 at 8:56 pm }

Dr t – like reality TV formats there is also only a limit to the phrases to use to describe a dearth of talent.

18 Tash { 08.19.13 at 9:12 pm }

Jai, will obviously get in, the producers chose him for a tweeny fan base.
Vendukla yet again will get in.

can not stand that straight up group. Yes the girl and the blonde guy can sing but the other two just dance around the stage there probably going to get in, anyway.. X factor is a set up

19 Eliza { 08.20.13 at 1:05 am }

Did not understand them “liking” Straight Up either, it sounded like a mess to me? Not trying to be mean, but it didn’t sound good. . They need a few years to polish things up. The groups are disappointing. That group with the Kelebek girl in it were the best performers, but I don’t like them.

20 Beth { 10.11.13 at 3:16 pm }

It wasn’t gyyped by them going to QLD; it’s called home visits for a reason. Nat is from QLD. Ronan from the UK, Danni from New York and red foo from LA. That’s why.. Duh!