The Great Australian Bake Off – The Grand Finalists Are Known

Next Tuesday is the final episode of The Great Australian Bake Off and you get the feeling there will be little fanfare about the winner.

Bake Off was a good series which ticked a lot of boxes. Good contestants and cast, great cooking and with a nice “there are no villains” vibe.

However because of the time slot after 8.30pm on a Tuesday night it just has not been able to find its audience. It would have been perfect in the 6.30pm time slot on Sunday night as it was perfect family viewing.

It is kind of sad that after the great casting of Dan Lepard and Kerry Vincent that they were not able to find a wider audience and because of this that there might not be a second season. Last night it only pulled 622,000.

It was the semi final with Nancy, Maria, Monique and Jonathan had to cook a gluten free tart, croissants and jam and a strudel.

In the end Monique was eliminated and Maria was named star baker. Next Tuesday Maria, Jonathan and Nancy will be battling it out to be the winner of the inaugural season of The Great Australian Bake Off.

1 TickledPink { 08.21.13 at 2:37 pm }

Great show – really like it
unfortunately I always forget its on!

2 nanaliz { 08.21.13 at 3:12 pm }

I have really enjoyed watching this show. I couldn’t cook most of the things they did but just found it interesting with pleasant people with good baking knowledge. I also found the judges to be straight shooters with no bull as in MC. Sorry it wasn’t a success but putting off airing this show would not have helped ratings.

3 Littlepetal { 08.21.13 at 3:14 pm }

Also nice to see the bakers having fun among themselves. I hope Nancy will win. She does push herself and if it works she will win. Maria is a fantastic baker but anything can happen with baking.

4 2paw { 08.21.13 at 3:27 pm }

I have really enjoyed this show. They actually have the contestants cooking, and show the cooking. No-one needs a story. I love that I can/ have cooked most of the things too. I made fronts a few weeks ago. They took two days. I shall have to try Dan’s quick recipe. I want another season.

5 Arr { 08.21.13 at 3:35 pm }

I was pretty impressed with how the croissants turned out last night — even the ones that “failed”!

I liked Dan’s admission that “no one makes their own filo” and that he was surprised when he heard the contestants would have to do it.

6 Kathl29 { 08.21.13 at 3:40 pm }

I watched this for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. I liked that they just got on with the baking with no tears or tantrums. The judges gave good honest feedback the contestants could use to improve and the quality of food was far better than this seasons MC contestants. It was great to not have any back stories as well.

I really wished I had watched the whole series.

7 Bolders { 08.21.13 at 3:48 pm }

I love love lurve this show. All the contestants were adorable and the judges and hosts just great.

Please (and I find myself ashamed doing this) keep this going Noine just the same adorable way it is for next year.

I’ve taken a step closer to the oven and am eyeing it warily.

I just need more confidence.

8 Rosie { 08.21.13 at 3:50 pm }

I have enjoyed this so much! Sad to see Kate Middleton go home last night, but she accepted her fate graciously.

I rather hope Nancy wins too. Although I’d be very happy to see Jonathon pull it out. But I suspect Maria will take it, which will be fair enough since she has shone most weeks.

Wouldn’t you love the reaction had the current pathetic mob of contestants on MC been asked to make their own filo! 😀

9 brain dead dave { 08.21.13 at 3:57 pm }

Agree with Arr @#5. I would have gladly wolfed down any of the croissants on offer last night. It’s been a good show.

10 Rosie { 08.21.13 at 3:59 pm }

622,000. Damn. (Thanks, RR) I was actually hoping Channel 9 would make a bigger deal of Teh Grand Finale next week, and have it on at an earlier time. But no, next week’s show will be on at 8.30 as usual. A crying shame really, because it has been such an enjoyable show.

11 nanaliz { 08.21.13 at 4:00 pm }

I will stick to packet filo but it was so interesting seeing how it was made the professional way. I also like Nancy for the win because when she does something well she is very clever. Maria is probably the best overall baker with the most knowledge on all the different techniques. Jonathan can get a bit bad tempered.

12 Carole { 08.21.13 at 4:01 pm }

I’ve really been enjoying it too. It did rate fairly well in the beginning, but then dwindled off. I had hoped it would be on Sunday nights too. Tuesday’s too busy, especially with Big Brother & MasterChef on then too. Be glad to have one less show to worry about, now if only MasterChef will finish soon then will only have Big Brother to worry about. But I heard today that Dancing With The Starts is going to be on Tuesdays. I just hope it’s not till Big Brother finishes.

13 Anna { 08.21.13 at 4:15 pm }

Jonathan handles disappointment well on the outside. I’d like him to win, but think it will be Maria

Nice to see the judges sample the food, just small bites and not inhale it like a St. Bernard. The only thing thats missing is saliva flying around

14 Daze { 08.21.13 at 4:30 pm }

How accurate are those ratings? no one rang me up and yet I watched lol. I guess people have those boxes at home but is it depicting the real viewing audience, I don’t know.

Shame about Monique – she was a bit hit and miss last night but seemed to have the thinnest and best stretched filo, 15min of banging the dough will do that she explained lol and the sound of the crunch when the knife finally sliced through the baked filo – wow! Yum!!

15 Carole { 08.21.13 at 4:46 pm }

Yeah, I wonder about those boxes too Daze. Only people in capital cities have them, so I don’t think they are an accurate depiction of ratings at all. In this day and age with technology, you would think there would be a better system where we could all input what shows we are watching, taping and so forth. I would love to have one, so many shows I love get axed all the time.

16 Socs { 08.21.13 at 8:27 pm }

You’re right Daze & Carole; how on earth do they know what people are watching?

I love this show too, and this is coming from someone who’s not interested in most of the things that they make! The baking is great, Shane is funny, the judges are brilliant and the contestants (even Brendan!) are really likeable! And also I’m able to see Anna Gare, whom I adore.

17 Daze { 08.21.13 at 10:45 pm }

Finally dragged myself from too much TV! Just watched the art reality show, fantastic and fast paced.

I love Anna too, Socs. They all make a nice team on Bake Off.

Carole & Socs, Ch 10 9 and 7 are basing their ratings on the minority and I just don’t get how they get a real picture of the ‘real’ viewing audience for rating purposes. For all we know, Bake Off could have had more than 622,000 – even 850,000 but we’d never know about it. Infuriating and when I read ratings I really wonder how accurate they are.

18 Andrea, the other one { 08.21.13 at 11:29 pm }

Really liked this show. Nice vibe. Dan and Kerry know what they are talking about and have a nice rapport with all the contestants. There is no “journey” sob story and the pace of the show is just right.
Though next week having four hosts/judges and three contestants is a bit lopsided.
I hope there is another series. It is the silent sleeper show for RTV this year.

19 Veronicali { 08.22.13 at 8:56 am }

I’ve been watching, and I normally avoid ‘cooking/food’ shows! Don’t know anyone who’s had a ratings box.

As Andrea above says, no sob stories and the pace is good. Like the judges, Kenny and contestants.

Even been tempted to try some of the recipes – was there a cookbook of the series out?

20 Littlepetal { 08.22.13 at 9:00 am }

The cookbook has been out before the series start, Veronicali.

Or get it from website:

21 Colleen { 08.22.13 at 9:10 am }

I love this show too especially the fast pace and no tantrums. I love that the judges give them positive feedback and they all take it well.

The only issue was the time and the long drawn out promos before it started.

22 domjr { 08.22.13 at 11:18 am }
23 Toni { 08.22.13 at 12:03 pm }

I’ve enjoyed the series. I would have preferred if Paul Hollywood (the George Clooney of bread making. Lol) was one of the judges as he is in the UK and USA versions. I have watched both these versions and they seemed to have a bit more punch so to speak. It would be a pity if they don’t make another series maybe they could improve on this last one by bringing Mr Hollywood to our screens.

24 emp { 08.22.13 at 12:10 pm }

Maria will win and Nancy will be the runner up.

25 Rosie { 08.22.13 at 12:13 pm }

You’re probably right, emp. But it would be fun to see either of the other two pull it out, just for the surprise.

26 emp { 08.22.13 at 12:16 pm }

Yeah I’d like Nancy to win but she can’t beat Maria who excelled from day 1. I never saw Jonathan as a contender and I still don’t lol.

27 Andrea, the other one { 08.22.13 at 2:16 pm }

#24 emp. Yes, you are probably right. Maria has shone from day 1. Nancy does go out on a limb with some of her creations (bread basket and filo wreath) however Maria has bee consistent week after week. Jonathan doesn’t have the presentation finesse of the other two.

Like how the contestants and hosts mingle while their creations are resting/proving/baking… E.g. Sharing some of Monique’s fig supply with Shane, Maria and Nancy.

I still don’t understand why the cast have to wear the same outfit across two days.

28 Littlepetal { 08.22.13 at 3:09 pm }

Maria is the more experience baker but I think Nancy can pull it off and win.

29 Taylor F { 08.22.13 at 8:09 pm }

I’m hoping Nancy wins. If she can pull off whatever creative idea she has for next week, and executes well, she’ll win. Maria, whilst being the most consistent baker just doesn’t have the “WOW” factor. Her bakes, like Monique, are very traditional (and a bit boring). Jonathan isn’t a contender. His presentation isn’t as good as the other two.

30 Anna { 08.22.13 at 8:35 pm }

Taylor, Jonathan could be the dark horse.

If Nancy performed better then Maria in the next weeks episode then may be she has a chance. Then again, depends what the judges/producers are looking for.

If they are looking for consistency then it’s Maria. If for the wow or taking chances then it’s between Jonathan and Nancy

31 Littlepetal { 08.22.13 at 8:44 pm }

They judge each episode separately. Thus it is all in the final bake off. One mistake and Maria can lose. My bet is still on Nancy

32 Gabby A { 08.22.13 at 10:33 pm }

Though Maria has been consistent, she is always making things that are simple and safe. Nancy’s baking is underrated. She has always done something so different and beyond the other contestants. From donuts on her cupcakes to gingerbread merry go rounds. To think she has only been baking for a few years. She really pushes herself with all these complicated ideas. Can’t wait for the finals!

33 Georgie { 08.28.13 at 8:11 am }

Well done Nancy, a deserving winner and she always appeared to be enjoying herself, even when things didn’t go according to plan.

Jonathan appeared composed on the outside (most of the time), but he couldn’t keep it together under the pressure last night. I had also noticed on a number of occasions, that he didn’t take the judges critique well. He showed that again last night when Dan said his gateau was too sweet. He wobbled his head and said “maybe”.

Maria just wasn’t consistent enough when it got to the pointy end.

34 brain dead dave { 08.28.13 at 8:40 am }

Nancy ,yes, a deserving winner. Congrats.

Jonathan was reduced to swearing at Australian flies and most of us know that it takes a little more than that to keep them at bay. His juvenile temperament brought him undone. Reckons he knows more than the judges.

The judges are pretty tough on this show. It’s hard to see them abasing themselves for the producers like Jowl$y et al. So there’s another series upcoming on Gem,which is good news.