Masterchef Australia – Donovan Cooke Kicks Butt

Masterchef turned into Hell’s Kitchen, without the prolific cursing, when the final four contestants hit Donovan Cooke’s restaurant The Atlantic.

Rishi, Samira, Emma and Lynton had to make an entree and main. It was 60 dishes each in total and with only three hours prep time.

Emma had caparccio of Kingfish to prep and because it was taking her so long she had a break down and sobbed. Donovan Cooke was no Gordon Ramsay and did not say “This is final’s week toughen the f**k up” but said they would get through it together.

In a Masterchef first crying was penalised and Emma was told at the end of the episode that she was not going to get the advantage in tonight’s elimination challenge because of her breakdown. Pity it is not a standard rule.

Rishi who had a tuna entree was getting the shits that he could not get into the fish room because Lynton and Emma were taking so long to prep. Once in he quickly prepped his tuna and was out of there. Unfortunately for him he was given Masterchef’s death dish risotto for main course.

Lynton had the made to order entree of bugs pasta with a grilled bug  and it did not go well, nor was is Confit of salmon with the judges saying the sauce had not been fixed.

Emma in service had a fairly easy entree to serve and then for main had to cook scallops. She was having issues with them as they were cooke over and under, and unlucky for her Gary got a raw one.

Samira who did not get flustered the whole challenge served the best main of Snapper. However her entree of prawns were a different colour to Donovan’s as she had not infused the saffron properly. She had realised there was a problem but decided to ignore it. The judges that the flavour was not as robust as Donovan’s.

It is a pity when the judges were tasting that they were told who had cooked what dishes as this was an opportunity to taste them blind. This may have advantaged Samira as Rishi’s risotte was not good. However in the end Rishi won the advantage as he was a machine in prep and service and Donovan said he would be happy to have him back in his kitchen.

1 Bel { 08.28.13 at 10:27 pm }

emp@187- the shared dislike of Smeara/S’mira on this blog is only unsettling if you take it as a political/race/religion issue. It isn’t.

Personally I just don’t like her personality and think she’s a crap cook overall. This WAS supposed to be a cooking show after all. Since she’s put herself (autonomously and willingly) into the public domain, people are allowed to dislike or even hate her.

It’s only unsettling if you interpret it as ‘she is muslim/people hate her/therefore people hate muslims’. There’s a logical fail in that argument. I hope you can understand this.

2 Andrea { 08.28.13 at 10:32 pm }

Same thing happened in MKR, we weren’t allowed to dislike Sophia and whats her name because they were Asian, Golo was always telling us off.

3 Bel { 08.28.13 at 10:33 pm }

Snap Dr T @191

4 Georgietake2 { 08.28.13 at 10:34 pm }

Samira, is rude, can’t cook and can’t hide her resentment when others succeed. She has a sense of entitlement and no sportsmanship. That is why she is disliked. Islam is a religion not a race, I am of the same “race” as Samira and am embarrassed if she is considered a representative of my “race” . BDD & others have made slightly insulting remarks that can be considerd anti Christian, haven’t heard any complaints there.

5 sarnias { 08.28.13 at 10:35 pm }

Please pardon my lateness, has only just ended here in Wait Awhile. I have only five words and seven apostrophes – WHAT THE FUCKING FUCKING HELL???!!!!

6 Reality Raver { 08.28.13 at 10:40 pm }

Maybe they need to bring in Sophia and Ashlee in to commentate the finale. In fact maybe they should have been commentators on the whole series.

7 sarnias { 08.28.13 at 10:41 pm }

Phil @182, no racism on this blog – if you read regularly you will note that everyone cops a serve. PS, if we were racist wouldn’t we be barracking for the aussie sheila and the down to earth farm guy instead of the Indian?

8 Bel { 08.28.13 at 10:44 pm }

I know sarnias@205. It really did suck didn’t it?

Georgietake2@204, yes to everything you just said. Insulting is FINE. That’s what reality tv is there for! No-one is being ‘racist’ or ‘religionist’.

This is yet another reason I can’t cope with FB and don’t use it. Thx LittlePetal for transferring the FB & Twitbook goss worth reading here, so I don’t have to bother :)

9 EmTee { 08.28.13 at 10:48 pm }

Really thought Rishi would actually survive the jinx that seems to affect the better cooks in every series, especially given the calibre of who he was up against. I was genuinely surprised at how badly he stuffed up, but stuff up he did and therefore deserved to be eliminated based on the dishes he cooked on the day.

This doesn’t mean that any of the last 3 standing truly deserves to still be there and for so, so many reasons that have already been enumerated here on many occasions.

I’ll probably still watch on Sunday night just out of perversity to see this series to its underwhelming end.

And I hope Lynton wins because listening to any more of Emma’s tear sodden mumblings or Samira’s butchered english afterwards would be simply insufferable.

10 Reality Sucks { 08.28.13 at 10:50 pm }

I think nobody is racist here but I would still think it would be highly unlikely to choose two finalists from ethnic background out of three in Australian masterchef , but then my sentiments could be wrong as Adam Liaw won second series. However, Adam wasn’t exactly migrant.

11 Phil { 08.28.13 at 10:54 pm }

@lulu: i don’t want to be too naive but I just think sometimes the judges get things wrong. I’m sure they have their favorites, that tips the balance when things are equal, and sure Samira had benefited from it, but also Emma, and even Christina I might say. But the day I feel that the winners are pre-arranged then I’ll stop watching. I want some mystery in my life!

wrt to my PS: one thing again, is to criticize traits of some person, and that’s OK and fair game when you accept going to a reality show, but some people, intentionally or not (sometimes we don’t even realize it) have made comments that are offensive, just compare the criticism to Samira to the comments about Clarissa or Kelty. Just food for thought (pardon the pun!).

12 Morgan { 08.28.13 at 10:55 pm }

This is by far the worst Final 3 ever. Really none of them deserve to win. Previous Final 3’s at least had one talented cook each.

S1: Poh and Chris were both fantastic, too bad Julie had to win.
s2: Adam was simply amazing and is still the best winner ever, Callum didn’t deserve Final 3 but he at least improved as the show went on and Claire was great too.
S3: This season was pretty crap, but the final 3 was good. Kate, Michael and Alana were all great cooks.
S4: Andy didn’t deserve to win but I don’t think he was that bad. Julia and Audra were amazing.

I’ll have the finale in the background while I do other things, and just so I find out who wins. Lynton is probably the most deserving out of the three.

13 emp { 08.28.13 at 10:57 pm }

Bel it’s not so much about race but being mean spirited. The Ashley and Sophia comments weren’t offensive whatsoever to me and I’m of an Asian background – Golo was just trolling us. In MKR we just gave back what they gave us.

Here it’s fine to criticize and make fun of their lack of cooking ability (I do it all the time) because it’s true. I also find DrT’s imitation of Samira (‘I done lamb good’) to be spot on. But I didn’t like stuff like the posting of arabic, it just seems unnecessary

14 Zhee and her stuck comments { 08.28.13 at 10:58 pm }

I sometimes believe the producers “think” that Samira is a second Amina (I guess Amina is one of the all-time favourites by the viewers, as she was a warm, lovable personality, humble and was able to cook). And they made a mistake by letting the lovely and adorable Amina leave way too early. I always thought: This lady will win season 4. No doubt about that.
When season 5 started I thought: Awww, another Amina. Yeehhhh! But… it turned out that she simply couldn’t cook well. She produced fail after fail and her attitude went from nice to awful. For me she turned into Amina’s evil twin sister and since Rishi helped her to get back into MC it got even worse. “I deserve this”… She feels entitled to win this crap and I truly believe she will.
I don’t care about her race, her cultural background, her religion. She simply is a rude woman who is presented to be full of herself. Sometimes you can blame the editing but the stupid stuff is still blobbing out of her mouth. If she were blond and chubby like Emma I would still dislike her.

15 Georgie { 08.28.13 at 11:00 pm }

Has Paul swapped his au for a hi?

16 Evan { 08.28.13 at 11:00 pm }

The worst final 3 ever in the history of Masterchef Australia.
I called it a few weeks ago, I knew these idiot judges would find some way to eliminate Rishi.
I like Lynton, but honestly, is he really Top 3 Masterchef standard? The guy would not even have got past the Top 50 in previous seasons of Masterchef.
Emma would not have got past the Top 100 in a previous season of Masterchef.
Samira really should win this thing comfortably, provided that she can cook Middle Eastern for at least the savoury and main course parts of the finale.
Betcha Channel 10 gets woeful ratings on Sunday night, under 1 million viewers nationally.

17 Andrea, the other one { 08.28.13 at 11:03 pm }

I can’t believe the judges told the finalists that the first challenge was a savoury dish and they should go and practise!?
MC has sunk to a new low.

Wish Amina was in the final instead of Samira. Miss her smiling disposition.

18 emp { 08.28.13 at 11:03 pm }

piss poor finals week, not even gonna bother watching tonight’s episode. didn’t watch last night’s either.

19 Evan { 08.28.13 at 11:03 pm }

And I am tired of Samira fans playing the race card to criticise anyone who dares to point out Samira’s character flaws.
Amina from last year came across as a much nicer, more lovable person. Betcha the powers that be are regretting that she did not win Season 4 instead of the bland Andy fellow.
So pimping Samira to win Season 5 is the way to atone for Amina being eliminated way too early in Season 4?

20 Evan { 08.28.13 at 11:04 pm }

Let us pretend the final 3 is instead……..Rishi, Vern, Lilliana or Pip

21 daisy { 08.28.13 at 11:07 pm }

This MC reminds me of that really funny link to the MC spoof that CB or Dr T put up during MCP. The one where the judges were marvelling at dishes such as a vegemite sandwich.

22 Phil { 08.28.13 at 11:07 pm }

Maybe after the first finals test they will call Rishi back to the competition.

23 Georgie { 08.28.13 at 11:09 pm }

We have played the translation game before emp #213 – posting comments in Italian last year when MC went to Italy and in French in honour of Manu during MKR and Dinner Date. I think you’re reading more into it than is actually there.

24 emp { 08.28.13 at 11:09 pm }

we should’ve all watched the mole. not sure it’s still on these days

25 EmTee { 08.28.13 at 11:13 pm }

Evan, I honestly don’t think the judges intentionally went out of their way to eliminate Rishi. His overcooked mussels and ashy tasting leek puree (which was a major element of the dish) definitely let him down.

If anything I think the judges would have been inwardly cursing Rishi for these blunders which gave them little choice but to eliminate him.

26 bron { 08.28.13 at 11:14 pm }

oh, it’s still on emp. i’m watching it now

27 Zhee and her stuck comments { 08.28.13 at 11:15 pm }

Evan at 219, was posting the exact some assumption. :( Maybe they think Saimar is another Amina who the viewers loved…

28 daisy { 08.28.13 at 11:16 pm }

It hasn’t started here yet. I would have watched the whole season if they hadn’t buggared with the scheduling.

29 Bolders { 08.28.13 at 11:21 pm }

Dudes it was just the bloody leeks – nothing else.

I’m always prepared to seriously consider a ridiculous conspiracy theory, but as muach as it pains me, Rishi made two mistakes: rubber mussles and what looked like pretty awful burnt leeky cream.

Sigh. He did so well throughout the season.

30 emp { 08.28.13 at 11:22 pm }

i watch the mole online, too many ads on 7.

31 Rosie { 08.28.13 at 11:24 pm }

Um EmTee, what about the fact that Rishi’s stesk was cooked so much better than Samira’s? That gave the judges every reason to eliminate Samira, but despite the fact that her badly cooked steak was drowning in not French coriander, they saved their little pet. Seems to me like the fix was in. It wasn’t so much that they wanted to get rid of Rishi, but that they wanted to keep Samira. No matter what.

32 daisy { 08.28.13 at 11:27 pm }

Bolders, I don’t care tha Rishi has gone. I just don’t get how Samira made it to the last three. But then I suppose who else?

33 Eliza { 08.28.13 at 11:35 pm }

I wanted Lynton to pick pork too…!!!

Well.. Guess all that positive thinking didn’t help.. Back to negative thinking for me! What a croc!!!!!! I swear MC never want the ‘obvious’ winner to win, like last yr Andy wasn’t the best. I’m sure Rishi will do fine, it’s just we want to watch people on a cooking show who can actually cook.. Fair enough?!

Please, for the sake of my sanity, Lynton HAS to win now.. Please! I can see him as actually being marketable and as a face that Australia can ‘trust’. I think he’s the one out of the 3 that would sell the most cook books.

@Phil – I don’t believe anyone’s comments here to be racist. As others have said, everyone cops it at times. I can’t stand it when anyone criticises someone of a different ethnicity then people jump on the racist bandwagon.. I don’t even think that way, thank goodness which I think says more. Is it ok for us to criticise Anglos bc they are seen as the minority.. This should still be racism too in that case. Don’t mean to attack what you said, but I thought it to be unnecessary.

GO LYNTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34 Eliza { 08.28.13 at 11:37 pm }

Oh my gosh, I thought they were trying to make up for Amina with Samira too… Try make us forget she was eliminated too early. I say no deal!

35 Bolders { 08.28.13 at 11:47 pm }

Daisy @232 – I know what you mean, I’ve said before that I find Samira’s food boring and I dont get her approach t0 or philosophy of food.

It’s just been an overall weak season, talent wise. And very annoying and sometimes quite psychotic in their challenges: I mean the pitch black pantry room tomfoolery must have been dreamed up by the writers of the show after smoking some wacky tobaccy.

No other reason for it.

Notice Sire Preston trying to hint to Rishi before he left that, given past experience, not wining MC is actually better than winning it.

36 brain dead dave { 08.28.13 at 11:51 pm }

Sadly, my Ma$terchef journey for 2013 has ended. I finked I done my best and didn’t mean to offend none of youse.

Come Sunday 7.30, I’ll be watching X Factor.

37 emp { 08.28.13 at 11:53 pm }

we all done good for watching these amatas

38 Evan { 08.28.13 at 11:57 pm }

Rishi will do fine, no doubt about it.
I will be shocked if the guy does not get a job in a restaurant very soon, or some work experience – he would be far more employable than Emma, for instance.

39 Former Contestant { 08.29.13 at 12:00 am }

What a fucking disgrace. The only reason Samira is in the finale is so Shine can extend their market to Middle Eastern ratings overseas as Australian ratings have plummeted. If this show was about food she would have been eliminated in the very first elimination where she BURNT her onions and Dan put up a lovely tart and was sent home. And of course coriander isnt used in French cuisine!! What the fuck!!!
Lynton will win.

40 Pollywaffle { 08.29.13 at 12:07 am }

Bel, we too have been to one of George’s joints of late where we were promptly told by wait staff to ‘go for the set menu cos its easier for the kitchen that way’…. Cue Dionne Warwick ….”where is the loooove”

41 Bolders { 08.29.13 at 12:07 am }

@BDD refusing to watch the finale.

You do realise Dave that you will be missing on a rehash of the backstories during the finale and also the same Fudges questions a la (with my suggested repsonses in brackets):

-are you going home tonight [Mofu we all going home tonight. This is the finale.]
-what does it mean for you to win Masterchef [Mofu winning has the same meaning for me as it does for everyone else. I speak English you know. Or is that a racist question?]
-Do you think you’ve done enough to win [Yes. Unless of course you don’t enojy crapstandard food.}

42 sarnias { 08.29.13 at 12:15 am }

Bolders, hah, yes crapstandard food. What is Mofu?

43 brain dead dave { 08.29.13 at 12:17 am }

I’ll probably be only able to maintain the rage til 7.29 Bolders, then get sucked into the Jowlfest again.You’ve made it sound so appealing again.

Hey, Pollywaffle. you’re one of the funniest bloggers I’ve read anywhere ,anytime. Hope you’re well….but as you’ve been to one of George’s places recently,maybe you’re not. Perhaps you should have ~”walked on by”

44 EmTee { 08.29.13 at 12:20 am }

Rosie, I must admit that Samira’s re entry and continuation in the competition has come across as somewhat of a ‘put up job’ but I’m not sure even the producers would condone Rishi’s elimination just to ensure she is in the finale. If this forum is any indication of the opinions of the current broader viewing population, the PTB have not done themselves any favours by doing so.

What leads me to believe that there is no actual conspiracy, but a lot of ridiculous concept choices for this season made by said PTB, is the fact that we have been left with 3 totally ludicrous contenders for such a grandiose title.

45 Bolders { 08.29.13 at 12:22 am }

Sarnias Mofu is my delicate way of saying a naughty word: motherf***er.

Sorry.

46 Pollywaffle { 08.29.13 at 10:44 am }

Hi ya BDD,
you continue to smash it as our friends at MKR would say.

No fear, my excuse for being there was I was captive at a ‘big number’ birthday dinner. Must say the only saganaki that George does three ways these days is one piece – cut in three. I guess that’s why some of the group had to stop off at Maccas on the way home.

His next venture is comfort food southern US style, its called ‘Beware of Greeks serving Grits’

47 does superior singing method work { 09.14.13 at 9:44 pm }

Very descriptive blog, I loved that a lot. Will there be a part
2?

48 SEO News { 10.03.13 at 1:05 pm }

Fantastic blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?
I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or
go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there
that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations?
Bless you!

49 Brenda { 11.15.13 at 7:30 am }

Samira isn’t a good cook as Rishi or the others. Why did she survive long?