Recipe To Riches – A Cooking Show Where We Get To Taste The Food

Recipe To Riches is the show where the winner’s product is on the supermarket shelf today in Woolworths.

The winner of the episode gets $10,000 but Woolies will get some if not all of that back in sales. Which raises the question of whether the contestants will make any money out of their products.

Reality TV contracts are notoriously harsh and the contestants would have had to sign over their rights to their recipes to get on the show. Sure if you win the grand prize you will get $100,000 and a brand partnership with the supermarket chain, but what happens if you win a heat and the supermarket decides to keep stocking that product anyway. Do they get anything more then the $10,000 episode prize?

Last night Matt aka Baby Bear, Casey and Connie were battling it out in the snack section. Matt had some killer boneless wings that at the auditions the judges really liked, however the beauty student’s maths was not so great when he had to make a massive batch of it.

As chilli fumes were engulfing the kitchen you had to wonder when he would realise he had been putting too much tabasco sauce in. Who knew you can buy tabasco sauce in three litre bottles.  Unfortunately because of this chilli overload he was eliminated at this point of the episode.

Casey with her stoner’s Tator Bake was battling it out for snack supremacy with Connie’s Croquettes.

Casey who could write her own 4 Ingredients cookbook revealed when she was doing the big bake that she usually put canned pumpkin soup in the dish. She was now cooking pumpkin soup for the third time in her life. This shows you only need one good recipe to win. It was heart attack inducing stuff but I had to feel sorry for her trying to give out tastings on a day where it was 40 degrees.

Connie was far more competent in the kitchen with her grandmother’s croquette recipe and was giving good clear directions to her helpers. It was interesting that the advertising guy Nobay did not think everyone would know what a croquette was, and he was right with only 60 per cent of people being polled getting it correct.

In the end the decision on what was going on the shelf went to the general manager of Woolworths and she said people wanted healthier options and it was no surprise she selected Connie’s Croqs as the winner.

They are out now on the shelves for one week only. The winner of the show is the contestant that sells the most product.

Since this is the only cooking show where we get to taste the food I will be buying each product each week. Will report back what I think. If anyone else buys it I would love to know what you think of it as well.

Darren Robertson was the chef mentor on the show and he was good, but the stand out for me was Carolyn Cresswell the owner of Carmen’s and the advertising guy Nobay was amusing as well. It was a smart move for her brand to be on the show with BRW saying she will get $1 million in advertising from it.

What did you think of Recipe To Riches?

1 Joseph Skyrim { 08.28.13 at 11:52 am }

ACK! Damn thing ate my post. Posting too fast my foot. :(

Short version: I liked it, definitely watching more – though maybe not buying all the winning products.

Highlights for me were :
– Baby Bear’s interactions with the black dude were great.
– Darren’s face while watching Baby Bear / talking to Casey about oven was gold.
– Connie’s focus and drive vs Casey’s… couch potato-ness?
– Ad-man is skilled at what he does and is not annoying. I am surprised.
– I agreed with Woolies lady at the end and she is also not annoying. I am again surprised. I preferred Casey-tato branding but I wouldn’t buy it over the Croqs.
– Carolyn is the most bland of the judges for me but maybe that’s the point, having a “normal” person there. She is obviously the “good cop”.
– Pace is FAST. Very refreshing after MC. 😛

2 Daze { 08.28.13 at 12:30 pm }

I agree JS – the pace is fast, really enjoyed it. Beginning middle and end, all in one show, with 3 new contestants and products the following week.
It certainly is a hard road to get your product on the shelf, so interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes.

Yes, it’s nice to see a ‘normal’ judge, Carolyn – no airs and graces, lovely down to earth, very real, no ego, etc.

Will definitely try Connie’s Croqs. She was a machine! but cool and very focused.

3 Culinary Boner { 08.28.13 at 3:02 pm }

This is my new favourite reality cooking show. Hands down.

And was a completely entertaining contrast the plodding pace and repetition of Masterchef (even for the more interesting Donovan Cooke service challenge).

What’s best about this show is that it features totally eccentric fuck-ups. Like the enthusiastic but innumerate, Tabasco-fueled, rap-metal attired, dude-food addict who failed spectacularly on screen whilst creating an a toxic chili environment more hazardous to humankind than the surface of Venus.

The slacker vego chick who actually hates all vegetables except taters and canned pumpkin soup was also sensational.

As was the winner, the bunny-boiler Italian MILF who romped around the set and streets drawing punters attention to her bangers* whilst rockin’ her granny-fied daisy dukes.

Food types last night included –
* incendiary hot dude food that if commercialised would tie up the entire world supply of Tasbasco sauce;
*stoner mush; and,
* I-can’t-be-arsed-going-to-any-effort-for-these-guests-but-I’ll-pretend-this-is-posh-Italian microwavable fingerfood (which I expect to see featured on Kath & Kim in their next return season)

Maybe Freemantle – who produced this – should take over MCA again?

* Thanks Gok.

4 Rosie { 08.28.13 at 3:25 pm }

I must admit to mixed feelings about this show. The show itself I enjoyed, despite the hideous creature with the hideous hair and the hideous maths ability. Who also was trying hard to soubd American. *shudder*

But I have to admit to being philosophically against all that packaged food. I mean, hiw many additives are they going to add to Connie’s croqs before selling them? I just can’t belueve they are going to freeze them as Connie made them.

But having said that, I am just hypocritical enough to give Concetta’s Croqs a try. 😆 I’ll let you know how they taste, and what’s in the list of ingredients.

5 Littlepetal { 08.28.13 at 3:27 pm }

Just watching the show. I enjoy it. You get result at the end of the episode.

6 Amy { 08.28.13 at 3:38 pm }

I enjoyed it (esp. the marking and launch stages) however I think it was a little toooo fast paced. Or maybe I’ve been watching shows like MC too long. I don’t know how I will feel after a few episodes with there being new contestants each week (not being able to connect with one and follow them through the series) but I understand this is necessary with the product sales each week and might have the opposite affect.. keep me interested…. Not sure.

Found Connie a bit annoying (the shorts or something?) but she did deserve to win and I’ll try her croqs – I like this concept :)

I had to laugh when at the end Connie told her daughter she’d won, the daughter replied ‘Bull shiiiit’. Refreshing.

Good filming too ey.

7 Culinary Boner { 08.28.13 at 3:41 pm }

Just for Casey Tater (or whatever her stoner-arsed name was)…

8 Penny { 08.28.13 at 4:00 pm }

I was a bit disappointed in the 3 snack foods chosen – surely there were some biccies, muesli bars, or “school recess” foods??

9 Littlepetal { 08.28.13 at 4:02 pm }

I think they will have episodes for those food

10 daisy { 08.28.13 at 4:16 pm }

CB That little toe tapper is stuck in my head now. Boil em, mash em …..

11 Julia { 08.28.13 at 7:21 pm }

I thought I would try out the croqs for dinner tonight, & the 4 of us found them to be tasty, but just way too soft. I was expecting it to be crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, I followed the instructions but they just weren’t anything like my mums.

12 PuppetDiva { 08.28.13 at 11:37 pm }

Like Julia I had them for dinner tonight as well! I didn’t watch the show last night, and hadn’t heard of it until I read about it on RR this morning. A few moments later I was channel-surfing, saw the show was about to start and decided to give it a go.

I quite enjoyed the show, particularly the marketing/packaging segment (I have worked in marketing for many, many years). While I thought Casey’s packaging was more compelling I agreed with the Woolworths boss that the croquettes were a stronger retail offering – potato bake is quick, easy and cheap to make, so I’m not sure there’s a huge market there.

So later in this afternoon I ended up at Woolies buying some fish, thinking “what am I going to have with this?” And I remembered the croquettes! As Julia said I found them quite soft but then I did oven-cook them, perhaps they would be better deep-fried?

I thought the croquettes were quite good. I don’t eat pre-packaged food very often, but I certainly wouldn’t rule out buying these again. Full disclosure: my food tastes run towards the blander end of the spectrum, although MrDiva the chilli addict also enjoyed them.

And I can’t believe I just de-lurked after reading for 18 months with a product review!

13 JStar { 08.29.13 at 12:02 am }

Watched catch-up of episode. Definitely fast-paced. Would have been better to see some of the other auditions as there appeared to be a lot of people auditioning and we only saw two other rejected ideas along with the three golden ticket winners.

The advertising and market research aspects were quite interesting. Agree RR that I do not believe that any of the heat winners will be making much (if at all) money out of this. One thing that has not been raised yet is the “price point” of the winning item. Will they all be of the same range or vary significantly? That will have a major impact in terms of turnover of sales.

14 Reality Raver { 08.29.13 at 12:06 am }

JStar – Hopefully there will be some transparency.

Hey Puppetdiva – thanks for de-lurking and Julia. I had some tonight as well and I am like you I don’t normally have package food. Though whilst I was in the frozen food section I found Jamie Oliver’s pollock fishcakes on sale at half price and decided I would give them a go at some stage.
I found the croqs a bit salty and fatty. Would not buy them again particularly at $5.99. If I was a uni student coming home from a bender I am sure they would hit the spot.

15 Julia { 08.29.13 at 12:29 am }

We had the weirdest carb loaded dinner tonight, I also made the pumpkin soup potato bake. My husband hates pumpkin so I thought I could hide it but he realised after the first mouthful. The kids loved it, so I think I will definitely be trying it again, an easy way to hide heaps of veggies! I would have thought that the potato bake was a healthier option than the fried bacon & cheese croquettes.

16 lebay { 08.29.13 at 6:05 am }

I really wanted to try those wings! I checked out the ingredients on the side of the Croqs box, and its now full of additives that Im sure Connie didn’t add…

My daughter is a vego in the mold of Casey, so I think I may steal her recipe and try it (sans cheese for miss fussypants, add more cheese and a layer of bacon crumbles for hubby and I)

Looking forward to the next ep

17 buzzy { 08.29.13 at 3:39 pm }

I bought “Concetta’s Croqs”. Will report in when I taste them. Good product positioning in Woolies. I hope Connie does well.

18 Rosie { 09.03.13 at 2:38 pm }

I finally got around to trying these last night.

My verdict? Certainly not worth the $5.99 for 10 little croquettes. The taste was more or less okay, but nothing I’d go out of my way to eat again. And yes, they were soft and falling apart a bit too easily.
Mr Rosie thought they were wonderful, but he, dear boy that he is, tends to think whatever I put in front of him is wonderful.

Lastly, here is the list of ingredients: rice, potato, bacon, water, salt, dextrose, sucrose, mineral salts, antioxidant, sodium nitrite, parmesan cheese, egg, vegetable oil, parsley, flour, salt & pepper (plus various numbers).

I’m pretty sure I’d like these a whole lot more if they came straight out of Connie’s oven, but on the whole I’d give them a 7 out of 10.

19 Janelle { 04.16.14 at 2:18 pm }

Hi all. Does anyone know where I can get the recipe for baby bears red wings?? They looked delicious and would love to try them. TiA.