The Great Australian Bake Off – And The Winner Is…

Nancy Ho was the winner of the first season of The Great Australian Bake Off when she beat the favourite to win Maria and the last man standing Jonathan.

Her petite fours got her over the line as they looked stunning and Maria’s profiterole was deemed to be to big.

However the judging is interesting as Nancy came last in the technical bake which was a Religuese and her gateux was not deemed to be a gateaux. However Maria’s cherry chocolate gateux had not set either. Jonathan whose decorating skills were not the best was never in the mix to win.

Nancy wins a trip to Byron Bay and a kitchen makeover. The make over will be handy as she revealed to the Herald Sun that she does not have a working oven at home. She also said she is going to go to culinary school in Sydney. However she still has not given up on architecture either. For the young 22 year old it looks like she has a lot of choices and talent in a few areas. Congratulations it was a deserving win.

Great show, wrong timeslot hopefully NINE will give it another season.

1 Fiona { 08.28.13 at 11:00 am }

I have really enjoyed this show, something about watching the trauma of cake baking when I cannot bake myself, is very satisfying. The contestants seemed very genuine likeable people, I also got a kick out of the little song snippets someone put in throughout the show (“Walls come tumbling down” during the gingerbread house section was a favourite!) I was pleased for Nancy but it was a shame that all 3 did not cook their best in the final, other than the petit fours. I hope they do another season.

2 Littlepetal { 08.28.13 at 11:01 am }

So happy that Nancy won. Very deserving winner. She is not afraid to try new things and push the boundaries. Maria is also an amazing baker.

Hope Nancy will continue with her passion for baking.

3 simone { 08.28.13 at 11:05 am }

I loved that show, kind of a shame it was on a bit late as I’m usually studying at eight thirty. But seeing Jonathan’s sulky little fits wasn’t very pleasant. Maria and Nancy both came across as simply lovely people and tremendous cooks. All the stuff they must have memorised in their heads to be able to produce such complex baked things all the time, it’s amazing.
I hope Nancy loves her trip to Byron.

4 brain dead dave { 08.28.13 at 11:15 am }

This show was so much better than Ma$terchef (The Great Australian Jack Off) this year. Another series coming to Gem soon is good news.
All it takes is
* honest judges
*likeable contestants who can do the business
*Anna Gare’s dimples.

5 simone { 08.28.13 at 11:23 am }

I really enjoyed the lack of bullshit, the minimal inclusion of backstories – just enough to give us some idea of who the bakers are – and the standardised format. It was a cooking show instead of something approaching a Japanese game show. We don’t need endless stupid novelty challenges and picking things in the dark and team captains, we just want to see people cooking, judges judging, and someone good winning.

6 Georgietake2 { 08.28.13 at 11:28 am }

Well done Nancy! I liked all of the contestents, and I liked how it was all about the baking. People who did not like Sopie & Ashlee of MKR were accused of racisim. I think the fans of Nancy prove them wrong. She comes across as a genuine, nice young lady, who loves to bake. Good for her.

7 Rosie { 08.28.13 at 11:28 am }

Yes, I loved this show too. Everything about it worked: the judges, Kenny, Anna’s dimples, the complete lack of bullshit backstory fron the likeable contestants. Well, except for the irritating Brendon.

It was such a pleasure to see so many delicious looking baked goods. Some of which I could make myself if I tried, others, such as Nancy’s gingerbread merry-go-round, I would not even attempt!

Congratulations to Nancy and bad luck matey to Maria.

8 Gin { 08.28.13 at 11:48 am }

I’m very happy Nancy won. Her expressions were so adorable and very one seemed so genuine and encouraging.

How funny was Maria when she thought Nancy was about to touch her gateau. And she walked off and nancy was like ‘I wasn’t! Promise!’

9 Socs { 08.28.13 at 11:49 am }

Love, love, love this show. You’re right Fiona, I think I enjoyed it more because I can’t bake to save my life!

I agree BDD, Simone & Rosie! Everything just fell together, and I love Kerry’s arched eyebrows, bun in her hair and her acid cut downs. And Anna Gare of course; I adore her.

Another season please! And don’t go down the Masterchef route.

10 2paw { 08.28.13 at 11:51 am }

Great show: I watched every episode and loved every minute. I loved that we saw all the things the people baked and they were all tasted and there were blind tastings too. The judges were very fair and helpful. The contestants were judged on their baking and not sob stories (and I am looking at YOU MasterChef 2013) I hope there is another season.

11 Jilly { 08.28.13 at 11:56 am }

Loved this show – please please please bring it back. No dramas, interesting people, great hosts and lots of cooking.

12 Joseph Skyrim { 08.28.13 at 11:58 am }

She’s pretty! ^_^

Sounds like I missed a good series too.

13 Daze { 08.28.13 at 12:20 pm }

They are advertising Great British Bake Off on Gem, to be aired soon (hope not another 3 months of advertising the show) – looks like an interesting bunch of contestants. Will fill in the void before hopefully, we get series 2 next year. Fantastic show, congratulations to Nancy and Maria – loved watching both of them.

14 Andrea, the other one { 08.28.13 at 12:27 pm }

Congratulations Nancy, Maria and Jonathan. Echo the positive comments above. Dan and Kerry are great and enthusiastic about the flavour choices, presentation and contestants themselves. I like how they explain what to look for in a technical bake.
Hope there is another series.

15 Rosalind { 08.28.13 at 1:27 pm }

I loved this show. As the others said, a refreshing change from the usual OTT antics of reality cooking shows.
It was feel-good too, none of the contestants were made to feel hopeless, but instead were given real and helpful feedback. So good.

16 BBM { 08.28.13 at 1:49 pm }

Really liked this show as well, I’m glad Nancy won as I think she took more risks but wouldn’t have been disappointed if Maria or even Jonathon had won either. Heres to a 7:30 timeslot next season.

17 Leigh { 08.28.13 at 4:17 pm }

I loved the show! I’m so glad she won! Kerry was always so stern with her!

18 Suziekue { 08.28.13 at 5:39 pm }

This has been the favourite show of the year for me for all the reasons cited above. Hope it returns soon.

19 Julia { 08.28.13 at 7:30 pm }

Loved this show, it really was all about the cooking. The final 3 deserved to be in the final, congrats to Nancy for putting up some awesome desserts when it really counted.

20 emp { 08.28.13 at 10:02 pm }

Thought Maria would get it but good on Nancy. Jono losing it what funny.

21 Lyn { 08.29.13 at 7:24 am }

I really enjoyed Bake Off. Who would have thought a show of normal, decent, friendly, happy and competent people would make great TV?! I am glad they got rid of Bliss pretty early and they should have gotten rid of the annoying young bloke a bit earlier as they were a bit painful to watch. I liked the hosts and the judges who were all lovely to the contestants while telling them what was what. All in all it was nice! Hopefully it comes back and they dont Masterchef it and just let it be.

22 Sarah { 08.29.13 at 10:29 am }

I will miss it. Luckily, I have The Great British Bake Off to fill the void.

23 Gloria { 09.02.13 at 1:22 pm }

Been a big fan of Great British Bake Off for a couple of years and very excited to see it come here and relieved they didn’t change the format like they did to UK Masterchef.

24 Ali { 09.22.13 at 2:42 pm }

I want to know how Nancy can bake so much and yet she and her sister remain so skinny. Maybe the secret ingredient is Laxatives.

25 Sioux Denim { 01.29.14 at 10:33 pm }

Heh guys, was watching the British version of this a couple of weeks ago and they down to 5 people….cant seem to find it in the TV guide now…have I missed the end….anyone been watching?

26 Daze { 01.29.14 at 11:55 pm }

hi sioux
they are down to 3 now. its been an excellent series (on GEM)

27 Sioux Denim { 01.30.14 at 12:09 am }

Thanks Daze….found it! Woo hoo, get to see finale on Sunday, really love this show….no bullshit just bloody good baking!

28 brain dead dave { 01.30.14 at 12:16 am }

It’s usually been encored the following afternoon as well. Enjoyable series.

29 CocoM { 05.14.14 at 11:29 am }

What happened to Nancy after the show? She’s disappeared. I heard she bagged herself a rich new boyfriend…suppose she doesn’t have to do anything now.