Recipe To Riches – The Freezer Section

This week on Recipe To Riches there were three woman battling it out to win the freezer section. This episode was not quite as snappy as the first episode as it did not have the guy who ovedosed his chicken with tabasco sauce. The most entertaining bit was when Nobay the advertising guy looks at a hot girl at the auditions and says I would like to work with her. Her food did not get through.

It was chilli con carne versus pork vindaloo versus maple syrup and macadamia nut icecream.

The girl with the Maple Macadamia Ice Cream priced herself of the competition with her high end ingredients which was macadamias and maple syrup. Also using condensed milk was no no as it is not a raw ingredient. The judges did not think it was good enough for the price they would have to charge for it.

She had the easiest prep but she wasted time chopping up the nuts by hand. Darren after watching this go on for over an hour then told her she should have blitzed them.

Darren and the Big Kitchen dude helped Dolly with her prep by peeling garlic and ginger.  Dolly was also lucky to get the big cooker, with Sara-Jane having to make do with large pots for her chilli.

The judges liked both of the savoury dishes but thought they were both very spicy. They were both put through to the marketing round.

Nobay loved Sara-Jane’s retro feel and she had some great vision for her packaging. It did look great and in the end it was her Chilli Con Carne that made it to the freezer section of the supermarket. It will be interesting to taste it to see if the chilli has been toned down in the final product.

By the way Connie’s Croquettes were not to my taste, too salty and fatty.

1 Rosie { 09.04.13 at 11:02 am }

It is still an interesting show, but last night’s show didn’t engage me all that much.

Why would I buy her chilli when I make a really nice one myself? The thing is, chilli ain’t that hard to make. Just give it plenty of time for the flavours to meld and you are in business.

At least last week’s product (the rice & potato cheesy thing) was something a bit different. I wonder how many sales Tattoo Girl will get in comparison?

2 Joseph Skyrim { 09.04.13 at 12:03 pm }

I also had a chuckle at Adman’s reaction to the stunner during auditions. RR – question for you! How much were Connie’s Croqs? Is the final place decided by how many boxes moved or how much money the generated during the week?

Glad Sara-Jane won over the indian lady. Her chilli con carne is probably too hot for me though! I’ll leave it up to RR to taste it for me. ;p Also I wouldn’t have guessed she was a flight attendant with all that ink.

3 Reality Raver { 09.04.13 at 12:07 pm }

Joseph – The croq’s were $5.99. They only stay on the shelves for a week. I think it must be how much product they move? Will try for you tonight.

Rosie – Tend to agree re: Chilli and being able to make it. It is going to have to be earth shattering to buy it more than once.

4 daisy { 09.04.13 at 12:34 pm }

I must check if they turn up at our little Woolies at Minninup Forum.

I love shopping there. It’s so rough, you can wear your pjs and people often do. But you never have to wait and the checkout guys and girls are great. The bogans hang out in the car park eating pies, drinking coke and fagging. You can feel the serenity.

Woolif won’t shop there. He thinks he’ll get mugged.

5 Culinary Boner { 09.04.13 at 1:22 pm }

Have to agree that last night was a bit of a let down after the first cracker episode.

The formula – audition, batch-up, PR prep and promotion – was pretty dull last night because the contestants were too normal, as were their products. Two of which were traditional ethnic foods that have been known to most people since the early 1970’s at the very latest.

I always thought the Chilli con Carne was going to win on the basis that ‘beef’ mince on a commercial scale is cheap-as (and can hide a fair amount of off-cuts and abattoir waste product*) compared to diced pork. However, Ms Come Fly With Me, was easy on the eye, so I aint complaining. The old lady who thought she was selling sex on the basis of the 50’s sex siren imagery was my highlight. Hopefully next week is better.

* “What was that, Skippy? Learn to cook & eat fresh or be ready eat ground up gonads and other bits-and-bobs? Good boy Skip. Fancy a chicken nugget?”

6 Sandii { 09.04.13 at 2:23 pm }

Daisy your woollies reminded me when my daughter lived at home and played netball in a team of mixed aged ladies in a rough town nearby. At half time all the bogans went and had a fag and cracked a tinny.

7 daisy { 09.04.13 at 2:27 pm }

Were theythe players?

8 Sandii { 09.04.13 at 2:44 pm }

Yea they were! I remembered also that my daughter got a big slap across the face when the umpire wasn’t looking. She was 15 and the woman would have been in her 30’s. To say I had to be restrained would have been an understatement. I wanted to play by mummy rules.

9 Joseph Skyrim { 09.04.13 at 3:43 pm }

@RR #3 – if it’s based on how much product they move then that would favour cheaper things in the long run wouldn’t it? :/

10 Reality Raver { 09.04.13 at 3:57 pm }

Joseph – Maybe it is profit then. To be honest I am not entirely sure I had just made a presumption. But you have reminded me I have to go buy the chilli!

11 daisy { 09.04.13 at 4:04 pm }

Sandii, your daughter was very brave. You wouldn’t get me on that court with the scragging bogans.

12 Sandii { 09.04.13 at 4:22 pm }

Yup they were hard nosed bitches. She plays in Adelaide these days with a bunch of lovely girls. They are in the grand final so I guess the saying “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” rings true.

13 sheenyshine { 09.04.13 at 9:37 pm }

Hi RR and the rest, Long time reader, first time commenting!!!
I think all products are $5.99 (saw the chilli at $5.99 today and last weeks product was the same)

14 Anne { 09.04.13 at 11:38 pm }

Rosie and RR. Agree with you re making chilli yourself. Why would you pay extra to buy it when it is so easy to make it from scratch yourself. I was hoping the vindaloo curry would win – I would have bought that – have never had great success at making Indian food myself. Unless you cook it regularly the cost of the spices is too much – they grow stale in your cupboard and you eventually have to throw them out.

15 Rosie { 09.05.13 at 1:25 am }

Hi Sheenyshine, welcome! :)

Anne, I make great curries. Really easy if you cheat like me with bought curry paste. 😉 You can get really nice ones in the supermarket.

16 daisy { 09.05.13 at 3:12 am }

Plus anne and Rosie it only takes a couple of chilie plants to supply all your needs. I usually blend and freeze to use later when I have too much. Or I fry ir up with garlic, blend and freeze in little ziplock baggies.

17 Picnic { 09.05.13 at 8:28 am }

The ice cream recipe is one that I make! Just whip up 600 ml of cream until it is stiff, mix in a tin of condensed milk and then whatever mix in you like (nuts, berries, chopped up chocolate bars). I turn it into an ice cream sandwich by using a slice tin lined with glad wrap, putting a layer of square or rectangular biscuits on the bottom, then the ice cream mixture, then a layer of biscuits. Freeze and cut to serve – Mega Yummy. I did a Christmas version with shortbread and put chopped up cherry ripe in the ice cream.
I have purchased the chilli, just to see how it tastes, I usually make my own and freeze leftovers to have if I need a quick meal

18 Joseph Skyrim { 09.05.13 at 8:43 am }

Ooooh Picnic, is that do-able by hand? How do I know when it’s whipped enough? 600ml cream + condensed milk + chocolate bars = yummy? 😀

19 Suziekue { 09.05.13 at 9:20 am }

Picnic -that sounds very yummy. I will try it on the weekend. What sort of biscuits are the best to use?

20 Culinary Boner { 09.05.13 at 9:54 am }

Let’s see, $5.99 is about the price of a maccas burger, fries and coke meal**.

Therefore, I deduce that Woolies’ pricing for a freezer meal is aimed squarely at the fridge-full-of-bundyRTDs-VB-and-soft drink, bogan market out there.

I further speculate that the recipe for Sarah Jade’s Chilli con Carne has had the spiciness and flavour leached out of it to make it palatable for taste buds attuned to the flavour combo of salt, meat, sugar and not much else. Though I hope I am proven wrong.
*Waits patiently for Raver to give her verdict on the Sarah Jade’s Chilli*

** A Quarter Pounder with Cheese is a guilty pleasure I enjoy about 5 times or so a year. So, as I’ve admitted previously on this site, I am part-bogan. *Flicks on his Airborne CD, cracks open a coldie, not VB though*

21 Reality Raver { 09.05.13 at 9:56 am }

SheenyShine – Welcome and thanks for reading. I wonder if the condiment winner (next week) will be $5.99. Have the chilli in the freezer hope to try it in the next couple of days.

Daisy – great tip re: freezing chilli and garlic.

Picnic – I really did not need to know about that recipe as I run off to buy the ingredients.

22 daisy { 09.05.13 at 10:03 am }

RR. Keep it easy. I use the bags because they don’t take much room.
I do the same when we have too many tomatoes, eggplants and or capsicums. I bake them with garlic and onion, put a bit of salt, blend and freeze in a take-away (labelled) and voila when it’s time to make a curry or stew, I have the most amazing sauce bases.
Forget store bought. DIY kicks it out of the park by comparison.
For tomatoes and chillies, if I’m in a hurry jus blend and freeze.

But RR, would you really have time for veggie gardening and ‘cottage crafts’ ?

23 Rosie { 09.05.13 at 10:04 am }

Picnic, I’ve had a tin of condensed milk sitting in the cupboard for a while now, and haven’t got around to doing anything with it.

Off to the shops to buy 600 mL cream…

24 Picnic { 09.05.13 at 11:54 am }

Just whip the cream until it is thick – like egg whites ready for a pavlova. Then add the condensed milk and mix til combined – then stir in your mix ins. I did forget to say freeze. For biscuits I use anything square or oblong – morning coffee, malt o milk, shortbreads. Just make sure you put them the same way on the top and bottom of the ice cream slice for ease of cutting. Or you can just set the ice cream in a log pan and cut into slices. Takes a few hours to freeze. If you have too much mix for your slice tin, just freeze some in a separate container – usually I use about 1 and 1/2 pks of biscuits. You can put crushed Picnic in :-). My family loved the Christmas one, also love violet crumble or flake. I have never used topping/maple syrup/berry sauce in mine but I think they would be fine

25 Suziekue { 09.05.13 at 12:18 pm }

In a moment of madness while shopping on an empty stomach recently, I bought a packet of frozen sweet potato gems. We tried eating them as a vegetable with steak, but realised that there was soooo much added sugar, we should have been eating them for dessert! Inedible garbage. Reminded me why we don’t usually buy packaged food.

26 Picnic { 09.05.13 at 12:36 pm }

PS – if you make the ice cream, let me know how it goes and the flavours you add

27 Andrea, the other one { 09.05.13 at 2:44 pm }

I tried Sara Jade’s chili con carne last night. It is a one person serving and the corn chips are also included in the pack. $5.99 for 335g serve. I thought it was too spicy. Has a definite kick to it. Hubby thought it was ok but not ‘restaurant quality’ as the woollies sensory panel labelled it.

It was a bit watery and there was gristle in the mix.
We won’t be buying it again.

28 Reality Raver { 09.05.13 at 2:48 pm }

Andrea the other one – interesting that it is still very spicy. Might try it tonight.

29 Rosie { 09.05.13 at 11:20 pm }

tood it tonight, gice.

Pretty much what Andrea said: too watery and just a bit too hot. I damped it down with some sour cream but it would be better with not quite so much chilli.
The flavour was nice enough, but Mr Rosie assured me that mine is just as good, and then after a “look” decided mine is much better.

And the value? Ridiculous for such a cheap meal. Mince and kidney beans are hardly gourmet items, and it was a fairly small serve for the six bucks.

And here are the ingredients: beef, tomatoes, kidney beans, water, sugar, salt, food acid, firming agent, onion, tomato paste, jalopeno chillies, roasted capsicum, red chillies, hot chilli sauce, vegetable oil, thickener, garlic, natural beef flavour, spices, sugar.
Dunno why they mentioned sugar twice.

30 Rosie { 09.05.13 at 11:22 pm }

Stupid auto correct! How does it turn “I tried” into “tood”?

31 KJ { 09.06.13 at 4:54 pm }

If my local Woolies is any guide to how the competition is going Connie is still for the win. The Croqs were sold out by Thursday last week, but there’s still heaps of chillis there today.

32 Fiona { 09.06.13 at 6:14 pm }

I bought the chilli yesterday as my little boy loves chilli beef nachos but I don’t always feel like making a big batch of chilli just so he can have nachos, so it is quite convenient to have in the freezer for those days. He said it was pretty good.

33 Penny { 09.06.13 at 6:43 pm }

The croqs were much better than I expected, I loved the bacon bits! Like others, I found too much gristle in the chilli. It’s a shame because I’m sure that, with good quality ingredients, the chilli would be a winner! As this competition is based on purchases, though, I wonder how fair it is to compare sharing meals to individual ones although they are the same price? If a family wanted to follow along, they’d have to buy at least 2 packets of the chilli but only only of the croqs…

34 Socs { 09.09.13 at 5:56 pm }

Picnic, thanks for the tip! I’ve always only made ice cream using the Kitchenaide, but sometimes it just seems like too much trouble having to make the custard and then cool, churn and freeze it.

I agree with the comments–I wouldn’t buy chilli because it’s just easy to make. I love what you do with your veg Daisy!! I often have a glut of chillis, and there’s often 10 different types of chilli produce in the fridge/freezer XD

35 Reality Raver { 09.09.13 at 7:05 pm }

Had the chilli it was really quite nice. Small portion for $6.99. Would I buy it again? Maybe but portion size it would only feed one for dinner.

36 Jaynie { 09.10.13 at 2:02 pm }

I just had the chilli… It was rubbish! too much spice for not enough flavour! I make a much better chilli myself!
This really bothers me, because the judges were raving about how good it was! It gives me little faith about buying anything else that comes from this show!