Australia’s Got Talent First Finalists Announced

What I don’t get about Australia’s Got Talent is that you can get the nod in the heats by the judges but still not get through to the next stage.

This year they put through 150 acts which they now have to cull down to 43.

Next week’s finalists are:

• Brisbane dancers: Swagamama
  • 10-year-old singers from Sydney: Natalie and Julia
  • Melbourne roller skaters Chantelle and Benji
  • Queensland opera singer Louise Kennedy
  • 12-year-old Melbourne singer Aydan
  • Sydney Ventriloquist Darren Carr
  • Sydney aerial gymnast and paralympian The Other Superman
  • Launceston dancer Scott Carnes

Australia’s Got Talent is on NINE on Sundays at 6.30pm.

1 Andrea { 09.16.13 at 8:01 am }

RR, I don’t get that either, why do they put so many through and then only choose 40 to go any further?
It must be heartbreaking for the other 110 who thought they had made it into the heats.
I’m not sure if Ayden should be there either because he’s already had his big chance and has experienced being a star as a member of Young Talent Time.
Its meant to be a complete amateur show isn’t it?

2 daisy { 09.16.13 at 8:16 am }

I think in the long run Andrea, that a lot of them might enjoy being able to say I went on AGT and made it to the second round, as opposed to I didn’t get past the first round. We also know some disappointment is to be expected if you want a career in music.
Having said that, I do wonder why they bother putting people though that can never win. But I think those contestants probably enjoy going on telly, especially the silly, novelty acts.

3 daisy { 09.16.13 at 8:19 am }

Emma, they might think we like seeing all sorts of people getting up and doing average things, hence they put the large group first.
I don’t so I don’t watch.

4 Georgie { 09.16.13 at 9:14 am }

I really enjoy AGT and the diversity of talent, because entertainment isn’t just about music and singing. Look at the illusionist Cosentino, who was runner-up to Jack Vidgen in 2011. He has done two TV specials since, which both pulled over one million viewers – but where’s Jack?

As far as the selection process goes, I can understand contestants still need to be culled after the auditions but 150 down to 43 seems a bit much. I think the judges should be a bit tougher at the audition stage and have a clear set of criteria to help with the decisions. Some of the acts they put through were emotional decisions rather than decisions based on talent.

I figured contestants would have been told there are no guarantees of getting a second go. Also, the judges telling people they’d like to see what else they can do is fair enough too, because they can’t know what better acts will turn up later on in the audition process.

All in all, it’s a better way to spend an hour than XF and The Voice imo.

5 Joseph Skyrim { 09.16.13 at 10:09 am }

I would think that the second round is more to see who actually has a second performance, who can still “wow” instead of doing the first thing over again.

6 Daze { 09.16.13 at 10:42 am }

Indeed Georgie, where is Jack? Cosentino is playing at Jupiter’s. Runners up seem to make a go of it more than winners in a lot of these reality shows but like you, I’m enjoying AGT moreso than TVoice and XF – so GREAT without MelB and Carl as Gerri calls him is lukewarm to bland this year – wouldn’t want to mess with Dawn and Gerri lol.

7 brain dead dave { 09.16.13 at 10:56 am }

The illusionist guy last night has been around, he’s even appeared on Letterman. He’s from Adelaide originally. So it’s not really amata but I don’t mind, it’s an entertaining enough show.

Where’s Jack Vidgen? Off getting his teeth whitened somewhere.

8 Daze { 09.16.13 at 10:59 am }

bdd, last seen with Caleb

9 Andrea { 09.16.13 at 1:43 pm }

New Idea, hot gossip, our friend Caleb is now an item with Layla!
Pictures of them kissing around the pool, just good friends you understand.

10 Carl { 09.16.13 at 7:15 pm }

Not only do a lot of the acts shown on TV get axed but my family and I went to the Brisbane auditions and there was this 12 year old boy who did the best version of a Jackson 5 song I have ever heard. Better than the original. He didn’t even make the TV.

11 shana { 09.22.13 at 8:03 pm }

omg im so obsessed with ayden calafiore can someone give me some facts and email them to me at shana.frawley10@gmail.com or send them to me on facebook name shaniloveyou but id prefer email plz

12 rose { 10.10.13 at 9:34 am }

i love leon lee with his chocolate voice, i’m very sad to see him go :(
i don’t care about agt now….