Survivor Blood V Water: Looks Like An Interesting Concept

When I first heard of the Blood V Water concept I thought it was going to be an interesting gimmick, but it appears to be more to it then that it could be a very different dynamic to the game.

It could bring some very interesting tactics into play. When it gets closer to the merge will tribes start eliminating people who still have their family in the game? If your family member was gone you would want to ensure there was not rock solid two person alliance sitting there. Or conversely if the two are you still standing at the merge will you become a target.

Luckily I will be able to ask the eliminated contestants about this as again I am getting the opportunity to interview the contestants from the show. So if you have questions you want asked email or put them in the comment section of the untimely recaps I do.

There were a lot of twists in the first episode. First up the family members in their pairs had to sleep alone on the island, then it was their first time seeing host Jeff Probst where they were told they would not be playing with their family’s but playing against them.

Weirdly enough there were a few of the contestants who were happy about that, particularly Katie, Tina’s daughter and Vytas who is Aras’s brother.  Vytas looks like he could be an interesting player and it helps that he is easy on the eye.

The only downside of this playing against each other arrangement is the returning players always have an advantage because they have done it before so the newbie tribe could be decimated in the next few rounds.

After the tribe’s had been sorted they were then told to vote out a member. Laura, Rupert’s wife was out for Tadhana and Candice was out of Galang (the returning players).

There was the opportunity for their loved one to step in and Rupert of course did, but John, Candice’s husband decided not to. Rupert and Candice were sent to Redemption Island. Rupert was taking a different tactic this season and was sitting back and letting Candice do all the work. He realised he had never won an immunity challenge because he was so weakened by looking after his tribe.

He realises he will have to be Candice to survive so why drain himself.

The first immunity challenge was an obstacle course followed by a puzzle. The Galang tribe were lagging behind due to Gervase’s poor swimming skills and lack of fitness however the women in their tribe brought it home for them on the puzzle.

Gervase went nuts and gestured at Tadhana yelling out “That is how it is done”. This put a target on his niece, Marissa’s, back.

The boys had been quick out of the blocks to form an all male alliance spearheaded by  Brad and John. It was interesting to see no footage of the girls in that tribe trying to make alliances.

In the end Marissa’s was eliminated she was not real shocked by it as she knew it was either her or Katie.

1 Evan { 09.20.13 at 11:44 pm }

I already hate Colton
Overall, so far I am lukewarm about this new cast of contestants.

2 Sioux Denim { 09.21.13 at 2:54 am }

I hate Colton too and no amount of crying is going to make me like him more, if any it just makes it worse!!! His partner seems really bloody nice too, go figure, hope he goes well.

Wow RR, I hadnt even thought that far to the merge and the idea of knocking out couples that were still in the game.I am terrile on all that game play stuff, even was watching put for spiders and snakes, as per JStars comments….I got no hope……hahahahaha!

Monica was my real fave when she played last, I hope she sticks around til the merge, not sure her husband…Colepepper?? (Is that his baseball name?) will last too lomg, but he is a cool guy.

The tribe of family members are probably the strongest physical team, but definitely experience will get you the win in the immunity challenges.

Wasnt sure about this concept at all but really, really enjoyed the first episode and cant wait to read your interviews.

3 seepi { 09.21.13 at 7:33 am }

Geez has Gervase still not had a few swimming lessons?

4 Rosie { 09.21.13 at 9:59 am }

Why oh why did they bring back the boring and horrible Redemption Island? When people are voted out they should be just that: out.

And why oh why did they bring back that nasty little prick Colton? I wonder how much he is paying the rather nice so far bloke who is pretending to be his fiance.

5 daisy { 09.21.13 at 10:19 am }

Did anyone think for one second that Colton would have changed. What a poisonous scorpion. I didn’t think that would be allowed to make physical threats and he said to that girl, “I will hit you with this oar”.

I thought it was a good start.

6 Jas { 09.21.13 at 10:26 am }

Colton gives us all a bad name. I can’t stand him, but I guess he makes for good tv. except when he’s blubbering looking for sympathy. Can’t they see right through it?

7 Jas { 09.21.13 at 11:00 am }

Having said that, I love Survivor.

8 Kylie { 09.21.13 at 2:34 pm }

Does anyone know if this ep is getting repeated at some stage? I had to work n hate missing out!

9 jec { 09.21.13 at 3:47 pm }

The show does bring some interesting questions about alliances between loved ones. Already I can see that the bond between partners is going to be stronger than other relationships, eg, uncle/niece, brother/brother.
I do not like the concept of bringing returning players back again, particularly for the third & fourth time. Rupert has had three shots of Survivor already. I’d love it if he lost the Redemption Island challenge and was out of the game.
Monica & Brad’s surname is Culpepper. Jeff likes using surnames when talking about his favourite players so obviously Brad is one of his man-crushes. I really don’t understand him using it when it’s Monica’s surname as well. He had too many camera confessionals, and I really do not like how he said he had an alliance of “four men and one gay” (or however it was worded).
Speaking of which, Colton’s fiance seems like a nice, decent guy. How the hell did he get involved with Colton?

10 Chrissie { 09.21.13 at 6:19 pm }

Hehe… I almost don’t dare say it, but (and this is not necessarily based on personality but on a mere entertainment value) I like Rupert and really hope he makes it through Redemption Island, plus appreciate Colton’s one liners – he often has great ones! Plus both seemed to be quite strategic which was/is always interesting.

Colton has quite a back story of struggle and think he genuinely wants to change and redeem himself ….but no, not off to a good start – his yelling at Kat was OTT. Doesnt handle stress well does he?! Also I can’t help it but the deep love connection between Rupert and his wife just makes me smile :)

Agree with RR, wasnt sure about the theme but already looks like a cracker season!!

11 Carole { 09.22.13 at 8:02 am }

Candace and her husband were a last minute ring in. RC and her dad were originally playing, but at the last minute when the medics checked her father his blood pressure was way too hight, so they had to fly in Candace and her husband that day.

Dalton Ross, who does the recaps for Entertainment Weekly, interviews all the players before the game starts, and he asked Gervace if he had had swimming lessons, and he assured him he had. Obviously he hadn’t. Why would you, if you are a weak swimmer, do the swimming part and not wait and do the puzzle part? And why would you go on Survivor not knowing how to swim? It’s not like you don’t know there will be swimming after 26 seasons you should know that by now. I felt sorry for his niece, it’s not her fault he acted like a dick, yet she paid the price for it. I bet she won’t let him forget that at family gatherings.

As for Colton, I don’t believe for one minute he has changed. I hope he goes quickly. But yeah, his fiancee seems like a nice guy.

12 Smythe { 09.22.13 at 8:29 am }

Redemption Island and Colton — thumbs down.
Glad to see Rupert back, one of my favorites.

13 mahlia { 09.22.13 at 10:03 am }

Colton is the first real racist I have ever seen on TV. Many have been accused of it but he’s the first person I’ve ever seen that actually seems to believe a race of people is inferior to him.
For that reason I think it was wrong to bring him back.
He’s not a controversial gay guy.
He’s a racist and shouldn’t be given an audience for his views again.

I also hate Redemption Island.

And I am NOT a fan of Rupert. He is a stupid player who has no idea time and time again. A waste of game space

14 PollyB { 09.22.13 at 10:51 am }

A racist believes people of certain races shouldn’t be treated as equal to himself and others of his race. A non-racist believes racists shouldn’t be treated as equal to himself and others who are non-racist. Seems in this instance the racist and non-racist have something in common.

15 mahlia { 09.22.13 at 11:25 am }

He’s had his chance to air his views. And the public overwhelmingly disliked him.
I would like to see people bought back, not because they were controversial, but because they can play the game well enough to possibly win.
He has no chance.

16 Rosie { 09.22.13 at 11:50 am }

I totally agree with you, Mahlia. And remember Colton’s not just racist. He made all sorts of rude cracks to and about the littke bloke, Leif, last time as well. A thoroughly nasty creature.

Sometimes it can be fun to laugh at various reality contestants’ bad behaviour, but Colton is beyond that. Bad behaviour seems to be his default position. One can only hope he will be gone soon, but they may keep him around for a while as a non threat. Once can only hope not.

17 Rosie { 09.22.13 at 11:51 am }

One! Stupid tablet……

18 Carole { 09.22.13 at 12:04 pm }

Colton & Aleisha, I think her name was, also ganged up on Christina, he said she should fall in the fire and burn, or something really horrible like that. I didn’t even really like Christina, but felt sorry for her for how they both treated her. It was just plain viscious.

Colton was also a snob, he seemed to be from a wealthy family and used to talk down to people from a ‘lower station’ he believed were beneath him. He was just a plain horrible human being and I was glad when he got sick and had to leave. I couldn’t even summon any ounce of compassion for him when he was lying there in pain. And I am usually a compassionate person.

19 Kate { 09.22.13 at 12:11 pm }

It sounds like next episode Colton will be right back to his old ways. He hasn’t changed at all. His fiance actually seems lovely, I don’t know what he sees in Colton.

I can’t believe Gervase wouldn’t have at least taken a few swimming lessons when he knew he was going back on the show! That was a truly hopeless performance, and the gloating afterwards was stupid. It will be interesting to see what happens when he realises he got his niece voted out.

20 daisy { 09.22.13 at 5:21 pm }

I don’t needto see nasty jerks like Colton to enjoy RTV.
I wish the producers did’t think viewers want such characters.
He was truly evil.

21 q { 09.22.13 at 11:38 pm }

not a huge fan of rupert after seeing him lazing on redemption island, even though it’s strategically smart…

22 Chrissie { 09.23.13 at 7:59 am }

Oh goodness, what sad reminders….Colton was nasty wasn’t he.

Carole, thx for the goss! How heartbreaking for RC to be pulled out to early from the game (once again)! I would have loved to see her in the mix and am sure she would have done well. What a shame.

23 emp { 09.23.13 at 12:01 pm }

Apparently all the returning players had pre-game alliances. I don’t know why they keep brining back old players, it’s awful and boring.

24 Techhater { 09.26.13 at 9:09 pm }

I only caught the first ep this afternoon so I get a double dose.

Rupert has always been one of my favourites along with Coach and of course the lovely Cochrane.

So p*ssed off that horrible Colton’s back and from what I read after he got taken out last time, they never did find out what was wrong with him.

Why is noone looking for the hidden idols? You don’t need the clue to find it. Which has been proven time and time again over the years.

25 JStar { 10.02.13 at 6:30 am }

Sorry for the late views. Catching up on episodes at the moment. Thanks to Carole for her info about RC. I believe when they all arrived at the beach after that pointless night out in the surroundings, was the first time everyone had seen Candice and her husband. All the players are “sequestered” before filming but I don’t think you can discount a friendly smile or wave across the room to build some sort of trust. For that, it isn’t a surprised that Candice was the first one voted out. All of those who voted for her had not played with her before and mentioned that they did not know her whilst those that did not vote for Candice (like Rupert and Tyson) had played with her previously (Heroes vs Villains). And despite Dimples’s “shock” at Rupert swapping with his wife, it would have been more shocking if he didn’t do it as he loves to live up to his “heroic” image. At least his wife shops at the same tie-dye shop Rupert frequents.

Dimples has had valuable weeks in LA sleeping in his oxygen-rich chamber so he is as young as ever and he has stocked up on his cargo shirt and shorts combo. I note that he is still bagging the crap out of the people who suck at challenges, just in case the contestants need another reason for their votes to be influenced before Tribal. Technically, having two swimming lessons since 2000 counts as plural for Gervase. And to vote out his niece based on his behaviour was completely unfair. His niece was not the reason why the loved ones lost.

I’m still on the fence about this blood vs water gimmick. On the one hand, the casting is a lot more diverse because usually we get stuck with a beauty queen, gym junkies, and several silicone-enhanced pharmaceutical sales rep. Downside is Redemption Island which is basically the producers’ way of giving one of their favourites a chance to win this game (cough, cough, Boston Rob). Casting-wise with the Returnees, more “old school” players like Tina and Gervase and less memorable newbies. I mean, THREE people from One World and Laura from Samoa (a season dominated by Russell Hantz and Shambo and her chickens!). And how are they going to do the family reunion sob-episode later down the track? Will Dimples just knock on the door at Ponderosa and round the loved ones up? Will save costs though.

Having said that, let’s see what I suspect are clues given out during the first episode. Firstly, no loved one will win this season. The season is so set-up for a returnee to win. We saw that in the first episode when the loved ones couldn’t make fire. You have two former winners playing (Tina & Aras), a four-time player (Rupert), and a three-time player (Candice). I repeat, no loved ones will be winning this game.

So who will make it to the end? The last two seasons in the Philippines, an older woman has made it far with Denise winning and Lisa and Dawn crying their way to the end and dragging Sherri along for the ride. Will it happen again? Possibly. Had to YouTube the intro but there are some clues already.

Firstly, there seems to be an emphasis on this “redemption” arc for Colton. It’s going to play a pivotal role in the story-telling: will the meanest villain of them all morph into a beautiful butterfly? We’ve already seen his tears and his backstory with his daily encounters of prejudice. Will he go far in this game? No way. Last time he had an immunity idol to threaten other newbies with. In a team of veterans who do not trust him, Colton’s only chance is for his team to keep on winning till the merge. Colton’s redemption arc also plays into Cougar Mommy’s arc (aka Monica’s) as she clearly is still hurt by Colton’s betrayal of her on One World. She has stated she doesn’t want to be bamboozled by Colton again and in her very first confessional, said it was her time to win. Given the amount of airtime she got in this first episode, I’m leaning towards her getting very far.

Monica’s hubby, Brad, also got a lot of airtime but that is partly because he is a “sporting celebrity.” Plus, he is so alpha male intense and is absolutely dominating his tribe’s dynamics. There is usually one person that gets a lot of airtime that doesn’t make it to the merge (think Russell Swan in the Philippines or Corrine in Caramoan Islands). Unless there is a mutiny in his tribe, Brad will go far but will he survive the merge with the numbers down? Expect Monica to do much better than him.

I heard Dimples had to do about 34 takes of his voiceover when announcing Aras to the television audience as the “likeable winner” of Exile Island. You know the producers were disappointed that you won when immediately after that season, they introduced the three-person finale. Aras has the baggage as a former winner and his brother is getting a lot more airtime and has stated that he wants to beat Aras. Vytas is in a good spot in his tribe and I expect Vytas to do better than Aras (who will probably still make the merge but be one of the first jury members).

In the Survivor Blood vs Water intro, only three people have animal images immediately following their intro shots. Many of you now know that these are major clues as to how the individual will play as well as longevity in the game. The three people I’m referring to are Gervase, Tyson, and Tina. This time, they had random animals after their names in the intro with Gervase having some random flying insect, Tyson a lizard, and Tina with an owl and snake. I guess Tina will be the wise woman who stabs people in the back….much like how she played to win Australia. All of them got good airtime in the first episode so pencil all of them down to make it to the Final Five.

In terms of who gets back from Redemption Island, I need to see more footage first. But based on overall competencies, both Candice and Marissa seem like good-rounded competitors. No surprise that Rupert ended up losing first because all he has is strength. Candice has won previous individual immunities and can compete well. I wouldn’t be surprised if both Candice and Marissa both go on a winning streak at Redemption Island. If so, that will play a factor in deciding their loved ones’ fates.