Recipe To Riches – Dessert Night

Finally the dessert heat with Vicki Cameron-Smith the former American showing us how it is done.

Her Sweet Billie’s – soft chocolate biscuit sandwiches will ride the current trend of US food. In fact will be buying them today!

Kara’s Salted Caramel Sticky Date Pudding was never going to be in the hunt as salted caramel was so last year and Sticky Date so last decade!

The apple pie balls by Katherine were a cute concept but still apple pie is apple pie and there is a lot of those on the shelves.

This could be the winner, though have to say the samosa’s from last week were very tasty indeed.

1 Littlepetal { 09.25.13 at 2:24 pm }

RR- Let us know whether its worth buying the Sweet Billies. To me, it is not so difficult to make chocolate biscuits and freeze them. Not sure I will buy this one.

Quite like the samosas as I don’t deep fry food at home. Of course the deep fried one taste better !!!!

2 Rosie { 09.25.13 at 2:36 pm }

Once again, it was obvious from minute one that the choccie biccies would be the winning entry. And I can’t wait to buy them! Like Littlepetal, I can (and do…too often) easily make my own, but I shall still buy and try Billie’s biccies. Hey, that would have been a better name!

3 Adrianna { 09.25.13 at 3:15 pm }

I just had some Sweet Billie’s and thought they were quite good!
Not too sweet, and would also go with a bit of ice cream as well.
But I’ve got such a sweet tooth, and have actually tried some of the OMG dessert that was shown last night, but didn’t think they were great though.

Seems that the samosas from last week had great reviews, wonder if they’re still available?

Also, did the previews for next week show more dessert /sweets?

4 nanaliz { 09.25.13 at 3:23 pm }

Just had a look on Woolies FB page and most say taste is great but just too expensive even as a family treat at $7 for 4 cookies. None of the shows products are going that well in our local store in FNQ.

5 Daze { 09.25.13 at 3:32 pm }

Yes Adrianne, seems like more sweets next week
“Garth Midgley has a movie-inspired chocolate coated caramel popcorn recipe. Patsy McCrostie’s raspberry slice’s are a hit with her kids and Karen Marchsall’s chocolate ganache-filled, violet macarons are much more than a mouth-watering treat.”

Nanaliz, $7 is very steep indeed. No wonder they aren’t flying off the shelf.

6 daisy { 09.25.13 at 3:51 pm }

Littlepetal, me too. I love deep fried curry puffs and samosas but won’t cook them at home because of the mess of cooking deep fry.

7 Reality Raver { 09.25.13 at 3:56 pm }

Jesus $7.00 for four I can nearly get four of zumbo’s macaroons for the same price. I wonder what the expense was in the product. Would have thought it was butter, flour, sugar, cocoa etc etc.

8 Joseph Skyrim { 09.25.13 at 4:21 pm }

I thought she totally stuffed up her launch though, but yeah – chocolate almost always triumphs in the end. I was actually super tempted to buy this, which would be a first, until I read that they came with a $7 price tag. Holy cow. Daylight robbery much?

9 Culinary Boner { 09.25.13 at 4:22 pm }

I’ll stick with Chef’s big black salty balls –

10 Rosie { 09.25.13 at 4:28 pm }

$7?!! For a measly 4?! I had assumed you’d get a package of 10 or 12. Oh well, back to the stove to make my own then.

11 Littlepetal { 09.25.13 at 4:34 pm }

I can make some yummy chocolate brownies or cookies for $7 and I will have enough to freeze.

12 caroline { 09.25.13 at 5:42 pm }

too costly for me – not only in cash but check the kilojoules and fat content per serve – a lot of aqua sessions to burn off! When will some healthy food be the challenge?

13 CURIOUS { 09.25.13 at 7:06 pm }

Question: Who owns the Patent / rights on your very unique, very delicious recipe?
What’s to stop Woolworths from making Apple Pie Balls and marketing it later on under a different product name, which completely guzzumps the humble mum and dad inventor from any royalties?

14 Julia { 09.25.13 at 7:11 pm }

Went to Safeway today & bought the last 3 products. There were heaps of chilli com carne left at a discounted rate & less of the other 2. I have a seriously sweet tooth but don’t particularly like chocolate cake type desserts, so i was surpised at how yummy the balls are & would definitely recommend them. I do agree that its quite expensive for 4 serves. I’ve heard good things about the samosa so I can’t wait to try them.

15 Penny { 09.25.13 at 8:57 pm }

I too found the Billie’s (I don’t get the punctuation?) very sweet and very expensive. I enjoy baking and could make a dozen whoopie pies with good quality cocoa and chocolate for the same price

The hot sauce is still winning for me!

16 PollyB { 09.25.13 at 11:09 pm }

I wanted to try apple pie balls :( Not a huge chocolate fan; it always wins. What was she calling the chocolate centre? To those who have bought this, does the centre filling taste special?

17 Julia { 09.26.13 at 7:20 am }

Oh, I had my fingers crossed for the apple balls, I love syrupy desserts!! The centre chocolate is very similar to a chocolate ganach, I really didn’t find it to be too sweet (but I have already admitted to having a sweet tooth) & once it is microwaved it is like a molten centre in between a chocolate spongey biscuit. I ate 2 last night, I couldn’t help myself.

18 PollyB { 09.26.13 at 10:13 am }

Thanks Julia. I love syrupy desserts, and dumpling style, and apple desserts!! I don’t usually buy sweets like these bickies but I’m gonna give them a try.

19 Fran { 09.26.13 at 2:34 pm }

The Sweet Billie’s are made in New Zealand and were made with palm oil. >:/ Not buying them for these reasons, I don’t care if they are ambrosia!

20 Bern { 09.26.13 at 9:40 pm }

I too found the Sweet Billie’s too sweet (and can’t understand the punctuation – Sweet Billie’s ???) and am very disappointed that they are made in NZ.

I went back to my local Woolworths and bought more of the samosas and more of the Chili sauce. It is lovely with sausages and parathas!

21 Tina { 09.27.13 at 12:50 am }

Too expensive & not very special, I was looking forward to trying these but they were a disappointment. So far the chilli con carne has been most popular in our house, though we missed out on trying the sauce. I would have liked to try this weeks apple pie balls!

22 Eliza { 09.27.13 at 12:50 am }

I was thinking of trying these, but the palm oil use is not good and I don’t like to buy products that use it. I almost grabbed the samosas but try not to eat those pre-packaged foods with the massive ingredients list. Might check woolies though on the weekend though but will prob be sold out from what I saw last week!

23 Gemma Allen { 09.27.13 at 12:03 pm }

We bought them yesterday, and I tried one, just then, didn’t do much for me. I think for USA cookies, I still love Oreos. The cookie was too soft, and the center too sickly. My kids had one each yesterday, and were not that fussed either. If you do like a very very sweet cookie, then try, but it just felt kind of too much.

24 Julia { 09.28.13 at 6:44 pm }

Fingers crossed that the next dessert product isn’t chocolatey. We ate the samosas today & definitely too hot for the children & my husband wasn’t impressed. I thought they were fine but had to dip them in tomato sauce. Haha, maybe you shouldn’t trust any of my feedback after all!

25 Bel { 09.30.13 at 4:28 pm }

My nearest Woolworths still has tonnes of samosas and mountains of Sweet Billie’s. (I get the punctuation, I think- it’s an apostrophe of possession, as in ‘Sweet Billie’s Biscuits’ but they’ve left off the word biscuits. Same as you’d say “Bob’s car’ or ‘Sarah’s house’. It’s borderline correct only though, since it begs “Billie’s what?”. I guess the marketing people don’t concern themselves with such intricacies!)

I was tempted to try the samosas, but they weren’t discounted yet (surely they’ll discount this stuff eventually?) and my local is near an NQR, who had 12-packs of samosas for $2.99. Cheapskate that I am, I got those instead :)

Wonder how the ratings are going for this? I quite like the show but can’t imagine I’ll care who wins by the end; unlike MC and dear Rishi.

Also, did the earlier contestants get less money for their launches? The chilli sauce guy with the frightful spoon-playing mother (jesus you’d leave her back on the farm wouldn’t you?) only had a spit roast in a car park, nothing like the all-singing/dancing/flash mob entertainment the recent ones have had.

Hey, I just realised that perhaps we should be writing ‘Woolworth’s’ instead of ‘Woolworths’. Will have to ask a linguistic professor friend about it now. It’s annoying me.

26 Jacob { 10.01.13 at 5:28 pm }

Those chocolate biscuits were incredibly unhealthy. Nearly 50% of the maximum safe daily intake of saturated fat in just one 75gram cookie. Just what Australia needs, more fattening foods…

27 CURIOUS { 10.01.13 at 5:35 pm }

So can someone who has a box of Sweet Bilie’s in front of them, please tell me how much saturated fat content is in each biscuit?
Thankyou.

28 bill { 10.05.13 at 8:51 am }

to those people commenting on the ingredients of products please get it right! There is NOT palm oil in the sweet billie’s. You are acting like you have such authority and yet you don’t take the time to check your facts.
Please show future contestants the respect of either getting your facts correct or stating that it is your opinion if you cant be bothered!

29 Bel { 10.05.13 at 8:59 pm }

I didn’t buy them so can’t just read the label, but why is there confusion over whether or not these contain palm oil? Why do people think there is? And why is bill so adamant they don’t?

Is palm oil generally noted as palm oil in ingredients?

Sorry for all the questions, am genuinely curious.

Another one- RR, are you not recapping these anymore or are you just overloaded atm? (btw, you do an amazing job keeping up with these shows, am so not complaining!)

30 Penny { 10.05.13 at 9:22 pm }

Palm oil is a vegetable oil and is often listed as such in the ingredients. If the saturated fat content is higher than 50%, the likelihood of the vegetable oil being palm oil is high (http://www.orangutans.com.au/Orangutans-Survival-Information/Helping-you-buy-responsibly-Palm-oil-free-alternatives.aspx).

There was a bill introduced in 2009 to make labeling of palm oil mandatory but this didn’t get through. Under current regulations, palm oil can still be listed as “vegetable oil” (http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/generalissues/palmoil/Pages/default.aspx)

It’s unfortunate that the rumour that Sweet Billie’s contain palm oil started – but it also wasn’t quickly quashed by Woolworths, who did indeed use palm oil in their Easter buns earlier this year (and copped a lot of flack about it in social media!)

31 Reality Raver { 10.05.13 at 11:33 pm }

Bel – overloaded but will try and recap this week

32 Julia { 10.06.13 at 4:39 pm }

My favourite product so far has got to be the chilli con carne, so so tasty! I do make a good home made one but too child friendly, so it was nice to have a more authentically spicy one, full of chunky veggies & mince. Safeway ran out of the chocorn so I haven’t been able to try them unfortunately. Have heard good things so I’m hopeful about finding some.

33 bill { 10.07.13 at 8:59 am }

Penny, r2r came out quite early on and stated there was no palm oil in sweet billies. The rumours may have started as Chinese whispers as the chilli concarne prouduct did have palm oil in the cirn chips.

34 Penny { 10.07.13 at 9:10 am }

I first “heard” the Palm oil claim on twitter. It took days before Woolies responded, so I think that fuelled it. Very unfortunate! Woolies do have a policy about explicitly labelling palm oil in their products I believe. No doubt the new arrangement with Jamie will put an end to its use all together though.

35 PollyB { 10.07.13 at 1:00 pm }

I bought this. No palm oil listed. Not impressed that it is made in NZ. Did anyone buy the popcorn? It looked a abit OTT for me.

36 Bel { 10.08.13 at 10:28 am }

Penny- thanks for that info. How strange that woollies weren’t on the front foot about killing the rumour.

Thanks RR! I like R2R but it doesn’t seem to be attracting much interest.

37 Julia { 10.08.13 at 11:43 am }

So strange, having a difficult time finding the chocorn, I went to one woolworths & 2 of their staff didn’t know what I was asking for even though there was an r2r sign at the front. Supposedly they received a batch of the 1st product but there was no demand so they haven’t any since.