Survivor – Blood V Water – A Name Player Gone

Producers must not have been happy that Rupert was the first person to be eliminated from Survivor – Blood V Water. Like or loathe the bearded dude he certainly is one of Survivor’s “characters” and a viewer draw card.

Rupert was eliminated after going up against Candice and Marissa who beat him in a hand eye coordination/balancing objects challenge. He told Jeff he does not regret swapping with his wife as he loves her more than Survivor.

His wife has no hope of winning at this stage as she has not been strategic at all and has not even tried to get into an alliance. Though sometimes people can fly under the radar and she won’t be viewed as a threat now.

The producers are going to have to hope Colton does not quit as it looks like as that would be two big names in a week gone. And boy didn’t Colton shoot himself in the foot. Standing over Kat saying you tell me what Tina said or I will call her over and ask her, and that is what he did and the whole camp over heard. He is a great villain.

This meant no one wants to align with him, and there is a five strong alliance which includes Aras, Tina, Monica, Gervase and Tyson. They ended up winning the immunity challenge so the alliance was not tested this episode.

The all male alliance in Tadhana was still going strong though Ciarian was being clever in pointing out the alliance that John has with Rachel to try and create suspicion. John who is a doctor is not being that clever. First he gets an immunity idol clue because his wife Candice won the elimination challenge and Β he does not share it with any of his alliance. This means he has made his side suspicious of him. Then when the men say they are going to eliminated Rachel he tries to defend her.

This again makes them suss of him. They want to target Rachel as they think this will weaken Tyson and hope that he will swap himself in for her. John does not want this to happen has it will mean Candice is at a greater risk of going home. But long time Survivor fans will know that in the early stages if the tribe/alliance insists on someone going just go with the flow to fit in and be part of the group.

Also weird in that group was they thought that John if he had found the immunity idol would use it to save Rachel. Why would he do that at the second tribal council it would be a waste and would mean he had busted his alliance leaving him very isolated indeed.

A good episode that again showed the different strategy that is emerging due to the family being in the mix.

1 Rosie { 09.27.13 at 1:58 pm }

Yes, it was a good episode, and I really enjoyed it.

The first time Rupert appeared, I really liked him. The second time, I didn’t mind him too much, but found him a bit annoying. By the third time, I’d had enough of him and was happy to see him go. And this, his fourth appearance?I just groaned when I saw his stupid tie dyed shirt again. So I laughed out loud to see him be the first to leave last night. Of course, his wife could easily have won that challenge for all we know, making hus great “sacrifice” completely worthless. But still, thanks for the laugh, mate.

Only one other thing to say, and that is: fuck off, Colton. And soon.
I do hope the hint they gave us that he might pack up his toys and leaves turns out to be true. He has really outstayed his welcome. Bears repeating: fuck off, Colton!

2 Smythe { 09.27.13 at 3:53 pm }

Would be no loss if Colton leaves either on his own or by elimination.
The sooner the better. What an a**hole.
That tribe should throw the next immunity challenge and then vote him off. It would be no loss.

3 mahlia { 09.27.13 at 4:15 pm }

I really wonder if they have made a mistake in separating the relatives.
Voting one half of a couple off means that many will be playing on their own when it gets to the merge. Which makes it no different to any other season of Survivor! We don’t get to all of them work as a couple AND a team.

4 Hannah { 09.27.13 at 4:46 pm }

I am loving this season so far. Vytas is an impressive player, obviously a very strategic thinker, plotting to get rid of Rachel in the hope that Tyson will swap out. No way in hell Tyson will though, he’s smarter than that. I hope we get a tribe swap early on this season. It would be interesting to see some of the pairs playing together.

5 Carole { 09.27.13 at 4:59 pm }

Was really sorry to see Rupert go, like he said he never went to Tribal Council or got voted out. I think his love for his wife is really sweet.

I too hope Colton goes, it didn’t take long for him to go back to his normal arsehole self. Was not happy to hear he was coming back so will be glad to see the back of him. People on Twitter said he quit last time, but he was medically evacuated, so don’t know if something happened behind the scenes we didn’t hear about.

6 Sioux Denim { 09.27.13 at 5:25 pm }

God, I hope Colton leaves next week, bloody wimp! Why bother to come back to the show if you cant hack it!
Yeah, happy to see Rupert go….agree totally with you Rosie.
This season is getting more interesting every week, am really enjoying it.

7 daisy { 09.27.13 at 5:42 pm }

I couldn’t bear to spend my Survivor time with that snake Colton in my camp. I wouldn’t care if he was easy to beat in the end. That would mean you would have to be willing to be in an alliance with him anyway. I couldn’t bear him and I wouldn’t trust him. What a truly awful person. Put him on an island with Michael the Ginger Cockroach.

8 Carole { 09.27.13 at 5:50 pm }

Does anyone know what’s happening with The Amazing Race? The new season starts in the US on Sunday, but I haven’t heard anything about 7 or 7Mate fast tracking it this time.

9 Kate { 09.28.13 at 8:44 am }

@Mahlia- I think that could add an interesting dimension too. Like, say Aras and Vytas both make the merge. Vytas hypothetically brings Caleb as an alliance partner from his tribe and Aras brings Tina. At what point in the merged tribe do Aras and Vytas work to ditch the extras and play as a team? What if they disagree on when to do it and their alliance partners convince them to not work with their loved ones? Could be interesting.

10 Ryan { 09.28.13 at 9:18 am }

Why would you say like or loathe Rupert? He’s arguably one of the three most popular Survivor contestants ever, and I’ve never heard of ANYONE not loving the big guy. Strange thing to say.

11 Techhater { 09.28.13 at 9:41 am }

I so love Rupert. He is so much like my Desi and I was really upset he was the 1st to go. Desi would have done the same. :-* LOL
As I posted on the last thread I did read that Colton was taken out with “suspected apendicitis” (apologies if I spelled it wrong) but they never did find anything wrong with him. IMO it’s ALL about his 5 minutes of fame.

I’m really hoping Rupert’s wife Laura does really well.

And why oh why is nobody looking for the hidden idols. It’s not as if they need the clue.

12 mahlia { 09.28.13 at 10:41 am }

Ryan, I don’t like Rupert simply because I don’t think he is good at playing the game.
He’s great if you like watching someone who thinks he’s a pirate. But not if you enjoy watching someone who plays a strategic and social game. In my opinion those things aren’t on his radar.

13 Ryan { 09.28.13 at 10:44 am }

mahlia- I tend to favour the strategists too (though I don’t dislike someone purely for NOT being good at the game), as well as villains like Richard Hatch and Johnny Fairplay, I’m just surprised that RR was trying to suggest Rupert is polarising. Judging by the comments here such as yours, it appears I might actually be wrong and he’s more polarising than I thought. I just assumed everyone loved him, he always wins fan votes and that sort of thing.

14 Rosie { 09.28.13 at 11:16 am }

Ryan, if you look at some other forums, eg TWOP and Survivor Sucks, where Survivor is discussed, you’ll find the vast majority of posters can’t stand Rupert. πŸ˜‰

15 Ryan { 09.28.13 at 11:19 am }

Oh, I wasn’t aware of the hatred. Wow, really surprised by that. He IS getting a bit grumpy in his old age, though.

16 Reality Raver { 09.28.13 at 10:18 pm }

Ryan – yes there was a lot of bitching online on him coming back again. I am disappointed to see him go so early as it looked like he was trying a new strategy of not expending too much energy.

17 Chrissie { 09.28.13 at 10:50 pm }

I was disappointed to see Rupert go. Wasn’t surprised that people disliked him but that so many did. But whichever side you fall, I’m sure he would have made more colourful viewing than some of the other characters. There seems to be a few that are flying under the radar already.

But it really looks to be a great series, with a lot more strategy to think and worry about. It was getting a bit tedious watching a group form an alliance and just stick with it until the end. The second season really was the best because no-one knew Tina and Colby had formed a secret alliance until the finale. Since then alliances are the almost the only way the game is played. So it’s quite refreshing to have these new twists.

18 Reality Raver { 09.30.13 at 3:00 pm }

Carole – Seven are apparently going to screen The Amazing Race this month but no news exactly. Hopefully more news this week.

19 JStar { 10.03.13 at 11:55 pm }

Okay, now I’m one episode behind. Finally caught up with this second episode so hopefully I don’t look like a fool with things that I write here that may be contrary after the just recently screened third episode!

The question posed at the beginning of the season and dominated the story in the first episode – of whether Colton has changed his stripes – was answered with a resounding ‘NO!” Colton controlled the tribe in One World through bullying and intimidation because he had an idol. He doesn’t have one here and he is up against veterans. They will not let him run the game. And that is contributing to his paranoia and frustration. He can’t control a tribe unless he controls the chaos. Aras was dead right. Colton is a gay Russell Hantz! But what is up with Tina? I thought living with bitchy Jerri in Australia and All Stars would have steeled her for chaos this time around. Clearly not.

Animal metaphor time. After Colton’s outburst at camp at night, he was being comforted by Cougar Mommy Monica in the morning. Colton knows he is a target now. But then we get a shot of a shedded skin of a snake. Monica talks about how she has grown as a player and will not play this game like the nurturing, passive player she was in One World. She quickly agrees to dump (her yet seen) alliance to form the new five-strong alliance with Tyson, Aras, Gervase, and Tina. This is the alliance that will take the veterans to the merge. Monica has been getting a lot of air time these past two episodes. Is she going to be the snake of this season and end up backstabbing her alliance to get to the end? I was so focused on Colton being that snake metaphor but how about that “shedded skin” of that snake points to my beloved Cougar Mommy? Hmm…this season she has ditched the pink bikini and is now wearing black. Is she this year’s black widow?

Another person getting a lot of air time this season is her husband, Brad. But it is crazy alpha-male gung-ho, beating chest, me Tarzan you Jane behaviour. It’s almost like he is being set-up for a major blindside that he won’t see coming as he is too busy thinking he is in control. Vytas is the real strategist of that alliance. I wasn’t too sure about this season’s gimmick but to plot to vote out Rachel to undo Tyson is a great move. I’m liking what I see from Ciera. She is a crafty one, same with Katie who proves the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Agree, John is not doing himself any favours. The tribe don’t see his confessionals so his reluctance to vote out Rachel stems out of concern for his wife. But, we have now seen quite a lot of muttering about his loyalties. Coupled with the plotting from Katie and Ciera, I think John is being set-up for painful blindside. In case you weren’t paying attention, there were a lot of insect metaphors of ants tearing apart a beetle when John’s loyalty was being questioned by the rest of the tribe. Gee, less than a week into the game and paranoia has set-in and the two younger girls are cleverly exploiting the men’s egos to their advantage.

As for Colton’s hissy fit in the third episode that was previewed. I hope he doesn’t quit but we have seen him breakdown already in this game. His story arc is about “redemption.” He knows he doesn’t have control of his tribe so will he just throw a tantrum and leave so that the viewers will not have their redemption by having the pleasure of seeing him voted off?

20 Carole { 10.04.13 at 7:38 am }

Oh, great, thanks RR. I wonder if they’ll do double episodes to catch up.