The X Factor – Musical Heroes Week

It was musical heroes night for the final seven and again there was some hit and misses.

Here is what happened:

Third D3GREE  sang Michael Jackson, not sure why this guy is still being held up as a musical hero which all his child sex allegations. Why does this guy get a leave pass and his music is still lauded. They were all over the shop vocals wise. Redfoo was right when he said it was a hot mess. On the upside they looked good.

Jai Waetford – It Should Be Me – Justin Beiber of course. Seriously he needs to go. Again another vocally weak performance so not sure why Redfoo and Ronan gave him a standing ovation.

JTR – MMM Bop – Hanson – Of course their musical heroes have to be another band composed of brothers. Not feeling this trio who again are squeaky with the vocals and as my mother said she has seen better at a school concert.

Omar Dean – Careless Whispers. He was singing this for his parents which immediately made me feel old. This was one of his better performances but still there were some rough patches.

Taylor Henderson – so his musical hero is Darryl Braithwaite? He sang Wild Horses, Dazza’s version not the Ricky-Lee Simon’s. They seem to be setting him up as an Aussie rocker. It was good but not great.

Jiordin Tolli – Don’t Speak by No Doubt. It was better then last week and she does have some star quality but Ronan thought she sang it better then Gwen Stefani. WTF? She was breathless in parts. They styled her like Gwen and even made the set like a bit concert vibe would have liked to have seen her rock it a bit.

Dami Im – Bridge Over Troubled Water – Dami was back to be in the last spot this week. Interestingly she was singing a song she actually knew but it was a tad dull but at least pitch perfect and big note bring votes. Is she beatable at this point? Danni broke down whilst supporting Dami saying it had been a hard week, as apparently her grandmother recently died.

Who did you like?

Bottom two prediction – Jai Waetford and JTR.

1 caseyu { 09.29.13 at 9:15 pm }

JTR and Jiordan Tolli. JTR couldnt even get the words right on a song they said was a favourite. Their harmonies were shocking too. Jiordan turned a moody, dark breakup song into aweird pop song with sweet (pitchy) vocals. If they aren’t bottom 2 I’ll be very surprised.

2 Beckala { 09.29.13 at 9:21 pm }

The groups. That said, I’d love it to be Jai. He makes my ears bleed. But the Bieber vote will get him through, possibly all the way.

I think the gloves are off for Foo and Nat. Her comments about some of them and his comments about Dami felt like they were playing dirty to me.

3 Mia { 09.29.13 at 9:34 pm }

I want an Omar and Jai bottom 2, but I think it will probably be Jordin and JTR.

The only way Dami can possibly lose this competition is if her fans get complacent, assuming she’s safe, and don’t vote. I love her to bits, but I kinda agree with Foo that it was ‘great’ but not ‘GREAT!’ tonight. The way the performance ended kind of tricked me. I’m so used to her finishing with an almighty, sustained glory note/run. So, tonight when the lights immediately dimmed on her, I was totally expecting that the audience would go silent and she’d finish with a final line acapella with her usual big finish. So, for me, the ending was an abrupt “Oh… that’s it then?”.
Sad to see Dannii upset. Apparently her nan died a couple of weeks ago.

I think Taylor is a bit of a dark horse. He’s really coming into his own now. I’d be happy with a Dami v Taylor final 2.

4 Beckala { 09.29.13 at 9:44 pm }

Thanks Mia, was wondering what had happened with Dannii. That’s awful that she’s been struggling so much.

I think Dami was “great” and I know it wasn’t her best but she was three times better than anyone else easily. But I also think Foo and Nat are doing whatever they can to ensure their contestants stay – because they all sucked!!!

Ronan was quite smug which annoyed me! I really want Jai gone (any of them really, but I dislike Jai – I hate Bieber so I think that’s influenced my opinion) – or any of the others. Just to bring him down to earth…

5 Blake { 09.29.13 at 10:02 pm }

Did they really need to subtitle Dami’s parents in the intro vt?! I could understand them perfectly well…
Then again, they aren’t white so I guess the producers had to be sure…(an eye roll emoticon would be good here)

6 Mia { 09.29.13 at 10:04 pm }

Beckala – Glad I’m not the only one Ronan’s smugness – and the ‘let’s make Jai the new Bieber’ quest – irks. I’m sure he’s a sweet kid, but he’s too ‘Joey Dee from YTT’ for me. It’s been a looooong time since I was 14, so *shrug* maybe I’m just not meant to get his appeal.

7 VioletsRBlue { 09.30.13 at 12:08 am }

Demi was in a class of her own as per usual. She has no real completion ATM. As for the rest I am a bit confused why Third Degree is getting such harder time from the judges than JTR??? For me Third Degree is miles ahead of JTR but yet and always cop so much more negative comments! Im just truly puzzled about this. I think that TD should get to top 3 this year, together with Dami and Taylor. Under normal circumstances Jordian Talli would be my favourite as she is most inclined to sing the kind of music that I mostly like to listen to. Unfortunately she has a mentor who is himself too manufactured and just does not get her spirituality and creative perspective. He is not only choosing the wrong songs for her but also the whole set up is wrong for her. As funny and interesting as Redfoo is as a judge he is far too shallow to be able to truly appreciate and be able to showcase the unique side of Jordian.

As for the other songs, it should not be about ‘what their parents’ liked to listen to when the contestants were kids but it should be truly about the songs and artists that influenced them and artists that they listen to during growing up. I just don’t imagine that Omar listened to careless whisper during his teens!! And don’t even get me started on the Hensons! JTR must have been in kinder when Hansons where popular and given that their ‘career’ lasted for around 1 year and just a couple of songs I find it very unlikely that it was their number 1 group! I have a feeling that a lot of the song choices were ‘suggested’ by the producers rather than the contestants. It’s all about a ‘good’ show and a good ‘stories’ after all!!

8 Eliza { 09.30.13 at 12:40 am }

I agree, Violets, there would be producers manipulation as there was with The Voice. They are constantly trying to convince us it’s the mentors picking when we all know it’s predominately the producers.

I would LOVE Jai to go home. I too get miffed by them trying to turn him into the next Beiber. YUK. Prob JTR and Jiordan bottom two.

3rd Degree certainly weren’t great tonight. They did their best last week but tonight their harmonies were all over the shop and the way it was all put together didn’t work.

I kinda liked reminiscing with Mmmbop. It definitely was the song we all didn’t want to admit to liking. I was 9 or 10 at the time it came out so remember it well. I had been thinking of JTR being like Hanson since I first saw them. It was one of their better vocal performances but they seem to get lost when they sing together.

Jiordan was a bit hit and miss tonight. Moments were good, others not so good. She was pitchy again too which was a shame as I really want to like her! I didn’t like the stage production at all. It overshadowed the performance.

Omar’s vocal was good but I don’t see him having the X Factor though. Taylor is definitely the dark horse and they are certainly trying to turn him into the Aussie rocker. I don’t mind him.

Dami was of course the stand out again. I too get what Redfoo was saying about the extra 10%. I thought she could have gone further at some points and I was also waiting at the end for a finishing note. As long as she can get some good guidance once this is over, she really should have a career!

I don’t want to say ‘mean’ things about someone when they are going through hard time, but the stylists need to ween Danni off those wigs and matching eye shadow to her dress. She looks so much nicer with a fresher look. Nat looked good tonight with a simple look.

9 Ryan { 09.30.13 at 11:10 am }

RR- The reason why MJ gets a pass (from some people) on his child sex ALLEGATIONS is because they were never PROVEN, which is why they were ALLEGATIONS. And by the second court case it had become pretty apparent that the family were money-grubbers. Was MJ weird? Yep. Was he incredibly stubborn in refusing to change his behaviour when interacting with children which many found weird and inappropriate? Yep, no doubt about it. But he was never proven to be a child molester and although I initially thought him to be guilty, I don’t think he was, looking back. Just really, really stupid and reckless, and a strange man-child who was never reined in by his handlers in regards to his questionable life choices.

10 Anonymous { 09.30.13 at 8:25 pm }

Why does MJ get a pass? Same reason Rolf Harris should until and unless the allegations are proven.

11 Ryan { 10.01.13 at 11:47 am }

Exactly, though I think Rolf might be in some very deep trouble, just a hunch. We don’t know yet, though.

12 brain dead dave { 10.01.13 at 7:00 pm }

Great thing is , Michael Jackson is rotting in a place where he can ‘t have access to children anymore. His fans can’t accept that he was great once but unfortunately, his demons overtook him.

No one pays such huge amounts of hush money when innocent.