Australia’s Got Talent – Tommy Franklin? Seriously?

How or why did Tommy Franklin aka #saltyrain get into the grand final of Australia’s Got Talent? And it was the voters that put him there not the judges. Semi-final two was weak but was it that bad that he was judged to be the best act by Australia?

Maybe I am missing something but I am not getting it. He should not have even been put through into the semi-finals. His act is like someone having an acid flashback while dancing to music. His parents must be proud he now has a potential career path of being an ambassador to dance party events.

Maybe Dawn French was embarrassed by the result as apparently she stood up breakfast radio show Fox FM for the second day in a row.

The judges then had to decide between Raymond Crowe and singer/song writer Reuben Koops. They put through Raymond the illusionist who is a professional in his field rather then the young guy trying to catch a break.

However on these shows you don’t have to be an amateur and many professionals turn up where do you draw the line?

Last night the semi had some interesting acts.

The highlights were dance group Academy of Brothers, Yu Hui and Michael Boyd. The Rykba Twins must be getting phone calls from Cirque to Soleil were surprisingly engaging as well.

Seaton Kay Smith’s comedy was too ethereal for many so will struggle getting votes. Class Act the girl group were just not strong enough in their vocals or dancing and Angel the 13 year old singer was popular with the judges however have to admit it was not to my taste.

Who did you like from Semi Final three? Does Tommy Franklin have a star quality that I am not seeing?

1 Joseph Skyrim { 10.08.13 at 12:08 pm }

Tommy has salty rain. And probably acid. At least the people that voted for him did. 😛 I did prefer Raymond to Reuben so that was fine for me.

Seaton Kay Smith was actually my favourite of the night followed by the twins and the magician but I don’t think they’ll be getting enough votes to get past prime slotted Angel.

2 Brad P { 10.08.13 at 12:41 pm }

Australia’s got no talent? I am guessing no everyone thought it was a joke that Tommy was even in the semi and voted in disgust to show the judges that if you wast our time putting idiots through then you can live with it. The whole show’s credibility dropped with that.

3 Cozi { 10.08.13 at 12:49 pm }

Its obvious Australia has almost run out of talent. Salty rain is a likable person no doubt but he has no talent at all. Its an absolute embarrassment to watch and know worthy artists were overlooked for this nonsense.

4 Reality Raver { 10.08.13 at 12:51 pm }

Brad P – Funny you should say that as I am considering voting for him in the grand final for that very reason.

5 Jason { 10.08.13 at 1:04 pm }

Don’t understand how Salty Rain got through on the most votes! Perhaps his whole town is voting for him. Interestingly, he had a whole pile of backup dancers to help him get through but Yu Hui (last nights ballet act) was criticised for having 2 dancers discreetly in the background.

6 Culinary Boner { 10.08.13 at 1:40 pm }

They weren’t confusing him with Buddy Franklin?

7 MJ { 10.09.13 at 3:00 am }

Being a dancer (ballet, tap and jazz) for over 11 years, and having a sister in the Queensland Ballet, and friends with the principal dancer of the Australian Ballet, I see no issue with Tommy Franklin. Dance is an expression. What “Salty Rain” is bringing to the world is pure joy. May he continue to put a smile on all our faces. His heart shines every time he dances. I would happily watch that, rather than someone who is technically perfect (and looks like they just sucked on a lemon).

8 Jen { 10.09.13 at 11:09 am }

MJ you just summed up what I would have said.

9 Nicole { 10.11.13 at 10:07 am }

It’s not even completely about his ability it dance.
It’s about his ability to make people smile. He gives off so much joy and peace, free from judgment, which is a very refreshing thing these days. Salty rain makes my day when I see him so free.

10 Littlepetal { 10.12.13 at 7:14 am }

Just read on tvtonight that one of the finalists has quit. All will be revealed on Sun.

11 david d { 10.13.13 at 9:18 pm }

Joy and peace…..what piffle. This is Australia’s got talent, not Australia’s got joy and peace.
The show has no credibility with him there and don’t give me that crap that if the world will be better if there were more of him…if there were more of him him, we’ll all live in trees and the unemployment rate would be 99% and we’ll still be watching tv in black and white.

12 John Collins { 10.14.13 at 8:47 am }

When the Judges put Salty Rain through the auditions I stopped watching AGT – what a joke – no wonder it struggles in the ratings up against X Factor which is real talent.

13 Melissa { 10.14.13 at 9:04 am }

What is talent? What is entertainment? For some bizarre reason I was taught that it was an intangible reason to smile and bring emotion to the viewer. After being involved in “typical” dance, music and drama for many years, I see no reason why a person that loves what they do so much, and brings joy to the hearts of so many, should be criticized. Regardless of the result, Tomny Franklin is a winner to me. Some of you should just go dancing. Might help your cynicism disease. Peace.

14 daisy { 10.14.13 at 9:19 am }

Will there be a replay of this? I want to see this salty rain now to see if he was just fluffing around on stage.

My grandkids bring joy to my heart. I don’t know if I’d call it a talent. But I’d need to see salty rain before I could have my own opinion.

15 Georgie { 10.14.13 at 9:19 am }

To each his own. Some people find a train wreck entertaining. I guess if AGT is about launching a career, ask yourself if you’d pay money to watch salty rain. If so, then that’s entertainment – enjoy it. I’ll spend my money elsewhere.

16 Mel { 10.28.13 at 3:48 pm }

I thought I was the only one not getting it! People I’ve spoken to say how great he is……..FOR WHAT?? Sweating out of his feral filthy beard over people? C’mon, if someone did that in the street, people would be disgusted. Australia’s got no talent, that’s for sure. It’s a disorganised mess of fools.

17 John Collins { 10.30.13 at 5:29 pm }

When they put “salty rain” through at the auditions that was the last time I watched AGT. How can you really take this program seriously against the talent of X Factor etc. AGT has lost me forever as I will never watch it again and neither will my wife and family and most of the people I speak to are of the same opinion – really the judges are a joke as is the show now

18 Charis { 11.03.13 at 8:04 pm }

Tommy Franklin is a beautiful soul and overcoming what he has been through with enthusiasm and dance is more talent than most of Australia could even dream of having. Infact It’s more important than talent, It is courage and strength, qualities which the author of this insulting post towards him obviously doesnt have. Pitty how so many people care about what others think. Salty rain doesnt and he is a much happier person for it. No one else can live your life for you so why try and hide who you really are, in fear or being judged? embarrassed? unique? individual??. Tommy Franklin is nothing less than a beautiful inspiration

19 Smmy { 11.03.13 at 10:42 pm }

I only watched AGT for Tommy. He is an amazing human being and his talent is spreading happiness through his interpretation of dance. That can’t be beaten. Go Tommy! I’m voting for ya man :)

20 Georgie { 11.04.13 at 2:38 pm }

#18
“It is courage and strength, qualities which the author of this insulting post towards him [Tommy Franklin] obviously doesnt have. Pitty [sic] how so many people care about what others think.”

That is what’s called a contradiction in terms. You say you don’t think much of the author’s personal qualities – then say they shouldn’t worry about what other people think?

As for AGT, I thought it was about creating opportunities for a career in entertainment. If Tommy Franklin can earn a living from being a “beautiful inspiration”, good luck to him. That will probably be good news for the Australian taxpayer too.

21 Christian King { 11.10.13 at 1:33 pm }

I think the judges ( and Julia ) have been “told” by the producers that Tommy Franklin will go through, no matter what. Geri tried to let it out when she told him “There’s always gotta be at least one like you in any competition”. Channel 9 also filmed a promo where Tommy says “If I don’t get gigs I don’t eat” in an effort to get public sympathy. Not true. He’s unemployed and lives with his parents and they support him. He doesn’t go short of a meal, ever. Where is he going to be in 10 years time ? I feel sorry for his parents.

22 nick { 03.14.14 at 3:46 pm }

do you not feel his energy when he dances?

maybe you need to experience him in real life, the man resonates happiness.

just watch him and smile…and things will get better.

23 El Guapo { 03.14.14 at 4:32 pm }

I think I’m busy for at least the next 10 years

things are pretty good already, I don’t wanna spoil it

24 brain dead dave { 03.14.14 at 5:16 pm }

I haven’t seen Tommy dance yet. It’s just someone having a psychotic episode.