The X Factor – If Judges Can’t Make Decision – Why Have The Sing Off

For the second week in a row on The X Factor the sing for your life songs did not appear to contribute to the judges decision on who to send home.

Omar Dean and Jiordan Tiolli were in the bottom two with Jiordin actually doing an amazing rendition of Stay a Rhianna song. Whereas Omar vocals were a bit shaky  and have been for most of his performances.

Having said that Joelle last week knocked Jiordan out of the ball park when they were duking it out for survival and she was sent home.

This time after the mentor judges voted for their own, Natalie Bassingthwaite decided to save Jiordan and Danni not wanting to make a hard decision threw it into deadlock  On this occasion Omar had the lowest vote and went home. However it still leaves Ronan with two boys Jai and Taylor.

Interestingly Nathaniel who I can barely remember from a previous season has managed to secure a contract and his first single is out also in great news for him he is on a concert tour with Jessica Mauboy as well.

A great example of using a reality show to springboard his career and he did not even make the final.

The big new was One Direction is going to perform at the grand final. Will this be live or a pre-record? Must ask a 13 year old girl how long they are in  Australia for. Though my five year old is obsessed with them maybe he will know.

The other news is The X Factor Live Tour. The top five will be performing around the country singing songs from the show. The five are Third D3Gree, Dami Im, Taylor Henderson, Jiordan Tiolli and Jai Waetford.

The tour dates are Newcastle Entertainment Centre November 23, Sydney’s Hordern Pavilion November 24, Melbourne’s Palais Theatre November 26, Adelaide Entertainment Centre November 28, Brisbane Entertainment Centre November 29, Gold Coast Convention and Entertainment Centre November 30 and Perth Arena December 2.

Tickets go on sale Thursday and are $79, or you can get a VIP meet and greet tickets from $119. Go to official website for further information.

1 Smee again { 10.08.13 at 11:43 am }

That is always a bone of contention for me. I feel that the judges should score each of the acts in the sing off immediately after their performance on a piece of paper. Then when both have finished they choose who to send home BEFORE any comments by the other judges. It seems silly to have the judge who has one of their own in the sing off to have a vote because really, they are going to keep their own. If the other judges are then tied, that’s when it should go to the tiebreak viewer vote. If a judge has both of his contestants in it then there would be no tiebreak because the worst result would be 3-0 or 2-1.
I probably haven’t worded this correctly but I think you will get what I mean.

2 Smee again { 10.08.13 at 11:48 am }

I probably haven’t worded this correctly but I think you will get what I mean.

By the way, last week the 2 bands were against each other with JTR going home

3 Eliza { 10.08.13 at 2:50 pm }

That was the best Jiordan has sung.. She has been a hit hit and miss the past number of weeks. I liked her performance of Royals, too.

Jai’s time surely has to be up soon??!! That will then leave each judge with one which would be right based on talent. Foo will be the first judge out with the way things are going. I think I’d like the final out of Dami and 3rd Degree or possibly Taylor.

Nathaniel was in the overs group last year. I quite liked him but didn’t enjoy the chorus of his new single.

OMG cannot believe 1D will be performing!!!!!!! Haha I’m being sarcastic.. Guess I can’t really be as I loved Backstreet Boys when I was younger… And maybe still do :/

4 Ginny { 10.08.13 at 3:56 pm }

Danni did vote. She voted for Jiordan to be sent home. That’s why it went to deadlock as Jiordan and Omar had two votes each.

Most underwhelming show. Some of the people they rejected were so talented and they chose this lot. Very bad judgement. And the songs where do they find them? Honestly no melodies and mediocre singing at best.

5 Emily { 10.08.13 at 4:48 pm }

@ginny, yes, danni technically voted, but she voted for jiordan to send it to deadlock because she couldn’t decide. If it was based on sing off, I imagine Omar would’ve gone home by judges vote as opposed to deadlock, which drags on the show.

As for talent, jai needs to go. He needs serious time to grow as an artist, or if not, at least let him sing an original, because that’s basically the only performance I’ve liked of his.

6 Izobel2 { 10.08.13 at 11:20 pm }

Geez RR, your youngest is 5 already!!!!

7 Reality Raver { 10.08.13 at 11:33 pm }

Izobel2 – I know! He starts school next year.

8 Ginny { 10.09.13 at 9:45 am }

Thanks Emily for pointing that out you are right.

I think Jai is a bit young. They are losing a whole demographic of people who want to watch this show. It’s not only for youngsters.

I think the age should be over 17 or 18. Having kids of 14 in this really does push the credibility factor. They can go on the voice kids or AGT. I really don’t think this is a venue for little kids.

Anyway I find kids singing ‘grown up’ songs appalling. Whenever Jai sings I mute am not in the least bit interested in what he does. He might be a lovely boy and a sweet kid but this is not for him.

9 Eliza { 10.09.13 at 2:52 pm }

I agree, Ginny, the age really should be 17 plus for this show. There are more appropriate shows like you mentioned for younger kids.

10 Emily { 10.09.13 at 4:06 pm }

I agree with you Ginny, I have nothing against jai but there are other people I would’ve rather seen so late into the series, particularly because this decided the members of the live tour.

Based on iTunes and General likes of performances, I would say,

Dami Im
Taylor Henderson
Jai Waetford
Third D3gree
Jiordan Tolli

I guess jai is sticking around.

11 Emily { 10.09.13 at 4:11 pm }

Not sure I completely agree with age though. I mean, Vendulka, was living proof that age wasn’t a factor. And I’ve been wanting to rant quickly.
Her first audition was Stay by Rihanna to show versatility as a commercial artist. I know Ronan wasn’t a fan of that audition but anyway.
She sings Pumped Up Kicks, Last Request and Romeo and Juliet during boot camp, and she sings Sounds of Silence at home visits, where redfoo wonders if she’s a one trick pony.

ARE YOU KIDDING?
She sang pop at her first audition and you, Redfoo, LOVED it.
Could not deal, honestly.

At the end of the day, though, Vendulka is better off, she’s making a name for herself with her stunning voice and the platform X factor has offered.