Recipe To Riches – Chocorn Still On Sale This Week. Is This Fair?

A good aspect about Recipe To Riches is that the fan gets to try the products they see on television. There have been some great products and not so good products.

This buying of the product also determines the winner who will get $100,000 and the product left on the shelf.

Last week the Chocorn was still for sale at my local Woolworths after the latest episode winner Greek Pizza Base had hit the shops. It had been my understanding that each week’s product was off the shelves by the time winner had been announced.

Did this mean that the Chocorn was still getting votes when people were buying it?

A Fremantle spokesperson said this was not the case andΒ “The winner of Recipe To Riches is the best performing product, based on sales each week between Wednesday 00:01 and Saturday 23.59”.

If you like the contestant make sure you buy it before the Sunday otherwise you vote won’t count. Pity I bought the samosas on a Monday as the vote won’t count and they were good.

As products are at different price points the way the winner is going to be determined is by sell through. I don’t get it but hopefully it is has been explained to the contestants otherwise there could be a lot of fear and loathing going on.

Recipe To Riches Tuesday Night’s on TEN at 7.30pm.

1 KJMorse { 10.14.13 at 9:19 am }

I bought the mimosas & the cookie ice cream biscuits in choc corn week.
Both where still available at my woolies last Thursday when I bought the pizza dough

2 Joseph Skyrim { 10.14.13 at 11:48 am }

Doesn’t sound like any are selling well if they still have stock! Unfortunately all of these are simply too high on the price range for me to just “test” it out. If I’m spending that much money I may as well get something I -know- I’ll enjoy.

3 Bel { 10.14.13 at 6:48 pm }

Lol KJMorse at the mimosas! That’s champagne & orange juice iirc, great typo :)

Thanks RR for explaining this. So, votes for the winner only count for that one week they’re “on sale” after their episode airs, but Woollies keep selling whatever they’ve left. Makes sense I guess.

Hoping to see some heavily discounted stock soon. I’d grab the chili con carne or the samosas if they were cheaper.

Me too JosephSkyrim, there are other things I’d rather splash out on than this stuff so far.

I can’t imagine Woolworths are doing too well out of this?

4 kelley @ magnetoboldtoo { 10.14.13 at 6:50 pm }

That rice thingy from the first week is available in the store a couple of towns away.

5 Pangus { 10.14.13 at 7:44 pm }

My daughter tried the Pizza bases last night. She was very impressed.
The Woolies next to my store sold out of Chocorn by Thurs mid-day. The next best seller was the croquets.

6 Lisa { 10.14.13 at 10:07 pm }

There’s heaps of everything at my woollies. They’re v expensive just to try

7 Reality Raver { 10.14.13 at 10:14 pm }

kelley @magentobold – those rice croquettes can also be found in my freezer I was not a fan.

Agree the products are not cheap. But the Chocorn was very very nice.

8 Maz { 10.14.13 at 10:35 pm }

According to Woolworths R2R is getting “people trialling from a category that they might not normally shop in, which is a good thing for us.”. http://www.smh.com.au/business/tv-show-recipe-for-success-woolies-20131006-2v29n.html#ixzz2hh7nglIK

Like Joseph, think the items have been too expensive. Also a bit unfair to the contestants with the price range.

9 Julia { 10.15.13 at 9:17 am }

I went to 3 Woolworth’s in the northern suburbs of melbourne trying to find the chocorn & it was all sold out within a few days. By the Tuesday it was too late to buy it online as they had replaced it with the dough so I was definitely disappointed that I missed out. I bought the dough & it’s so so easy, stress free, better than any base I have bought before as it does compare to home made base.

10 Joseph Skyrim { 10.15.13 at 3:00 pm }

Do we know if all the products will remain on the shelf or only the grand final winner after the show?

11 Joseph Skyrim { 10.15.13 at 3:06 pm }

Oooh, I didn’t realize Cadbury has popcorn chocolate too! Only learned of that when I stumbled across bellyrumbles blog!

Maybe I can afford that instead. πŸ˜›

12 Julia { 10.15.13 at 7:16 pm }

Oh yum, popcorn covered with Cadbury chocolate! Now if only they made it with white chocolate!!

13 EmTee { 10.16.13 at 12:55 am }

Am enjoying the show but along with other posters have found the products a bit too pricey to consider trying just for the sake of it.

I think many people like me, on a very tight budget, would be reluctant to give the products a go for this reason (unless they had a big marked down sticker on them).

It’s interesting that the costing factor/ impact isn’t really addressed in the show. I was wondering if one of the contestants on tonights episode may have been eliminated partly because of costing. Quinoa as an ingredient does not come cheap and changes to preparing and packaging the product to avoid health problems would probably add to the cost as well. The gluten free biscuits however would likely be far less expensive to produce and package en masse. And of course those magic words ‘gluten free’ would still ensure that a premium price could be charged at the checkout.

14 CURIOUS { 10.21.13 at 5:32 pm }

I bought the Gluten Free biscuits in other words macarons, and they were very nice and the price was $5.50 for 8 of them.
The frozen pizza base comes in two small lumps, plus you get the two sachets of sauce (superb) I found the dough a little hard to roll out as it kept springing back / shrinking after being rolled out, however after I added several of my own toppings it made the most delicious pizza. The base’s taste was perfect.

15 Lesley kermond { 10.23.13 at 9:14 pm }

I loved the chop corn I would like to buy more is there any around?