Big Brother Live Shows – What Exactly Do They Mean By Live?

Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 10.33.02 PM

For the second week in a row Sydney has not had the Big Brother eviction show live. Now last week was no big deal there were dreadful bush fires occurring but now there are not and normal transmission needs to occur especially for next Wednesday’s finale. It is treating the loyal Sydney viewers with contempt.

Sure Brisbane, Adelaide, Northern Territory and Western Australia are delayed but let’s be frank Sydney is the largest viewing market.

Tonight the live show started at 7.00pm in Melbourne and Tasmania but it was live nowhere else in Australia.

Not only is not live but there a lot of Sydneysiders are not aware that it is already screening in Melbourne until they get hit with a spoiler on Twitter or Facebook or even this blog.

Here are just some of the comments people were saying on Twitter:

Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 11.13.08 PM Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 10.10.42 PM Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 11.12.46 PM Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 10.33.02 PM Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 11.13.35 PM Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 11.15.11 PM

Tully continuing to show oodles of personal charm tweeted this:

Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 10.05.17 PMDo Sydneysiders need to realise the TV world does not revolve around them or should Big Brother make sure the show starts at 7.00pm in line with the other eastern standard time states.

1 Seb { 10.31.13 at 12:49 am }

I feel horrible for grinning while I type this but as a West Aussie I’ve yet to have the reveal of a finale not spoiled for any reality show in the past two years. Yes, I’m addicted to social media.

Special mention to Adam Liaw who revealed the winner of Masterchef All Stars ten minutes before the announcement had aired in WA.

Yes it’s my own fault for having the internet and I promise to burn my computer so that I don’t ruin @BelieberBritneyFan_69’s fun at declaring OMG I CARNT BELLIVE HOW THAT SKANK WUN BAKE OFF #duckface.

But in the meantime let me giggle at those spoilery types getting a taste of their own medicine. I don’t get out much.

2 Violet { 10.31.13 at 7:34 am }

Apparently channel 9 might have 1 hour news next year and move ACA to 7pm. Maybe this is their test run.

BB had so many different time slots this year, it just shows channel 9 doesn’t respect their audience like 10 did. Also with the voting lines closing before it screens in NSW it might even give Drew (VIC) an extra boost over Tim (NSW) in the final days.

3 Carole { 10.31.13 at 7:39 am }

It’s not rocket science. I know it’s hard for WA as they are so far behind, but for those of us in Qld it’s only an hour. It would be quite easy to give us a live show too, just start it an hour later in Sydney & Melbourne and have it live here. It’s not that hard, don’t know why they can’t get their act together. Or next year, start it a couple of weeks earlier so it ends before daylight savings starts. They couldn’t last year because of the Olympics, but there were no Olympics this year.

4 Andrea { 10.31.13 at 8:20 am }

I agree Carole, I think its pretty bad that when BB is produced in Queensland we don’t even get it live, by the time it starts here voting has already closed.
Channel 10 never used to stuff it up because they made sure it wasn’t on air during daylight savings period.
All they have to do as Carole has said is start it here at 6pm, then we are live with Melbourne and Sydney at least.
Its just false advertising to keep saying its live when clearly it isn’t.
Really, everyone who doesn’t want to know the outcome should just stay off their computers , phones etc, and just pretend its live, its the only way.

5 Evan { 10.31.13 at 8:50 am }

I guess Channel 9 in Sydney are sticking with the one hour news bulletin because it is rating well for them, especially between 6.30PM and 7.00PM?
However, it is very frustrating for someone like me who a couple of times this week has turned on the TV at 7.00PM in Sydney expecting Big Brother to be on, and instead finding Tracy Grimshaw on my screen.

6 Trent { 10.31.13 at 9:35 am }

I have to agree with Tully here,

And anyway i am pretty upset i live in Chatswood and our foxtel/Normal tv connection has completely lost signal for the last week in our area. Hopefully we will get it back for catch up on the weekend but its really killed the buzz for the final week!

7 Rose { 10.31.13 at 10:42 am }

Can you explain this to me a bit? I know they changed for important emergency fire information. Is that still being reported? After Hurricane Sandy the news was focused on the whole mess left behind, even well after the storm was over. Is this news giving continuing coverage from the stricken areas ?

But we have some channels that are just New York news. I don’t remember if regular programming was pushed back or if it was, it might have been nationwide.

8 Reality Raver { 10.31.13 at 10:51 am }

Rosie – They appear to keep the news the way it is to see if can improve the channel’s ratings. The bushfire crisis is over, not saying it won’t flare up again. But if they want to experiment with time changes they should do it after BB ends.

Seb – LOL I was expecting a lot of sucked you Sydney siders you are getting a dose of your own medicine. I do admit I think it is ridiculous it is not live into Sydney but I think the thing that irks me more is that I don’t think a lot of Sydney people would realise we are currently on delay. I only noticed Tuesday night when something came through my twitter feed about a conversation that had not occurred and I wait hang on we are still behind.

Andrea – I think they should screen at 6.30pm into Qld and 7.30pm into Vic, Tas and NSW. I presume Network would argue that ACA rates higher then BB.

9 mahlia { 10.31.13 at 11:56 am }

Never thought I’d see the day when I agree with Tully.
What she said to EVERYONE on Twitter and Facebook who complain about spoilers!!!

10 BBM { 10.31.13 at 12:03 pm }

I agree with the stay off twitter/social media to avoid spoilers but most in Sydney would not have even realised it was not “live”, so aren’t used to it the way WA’s may be (although there is always at least one person from WA complaining that no one held off for 3 hours before posting!)

For me though I don’t care I love spoilers and will seek them out rather than wait.

11 Loz { 10.31.13 at 12:10 pm }

@Trent… mine is fine and I live where you live.

I think all states should be at the same time so this spoiler stuff doesn’t happen. If it’s live then it should be live not on a delay.

If the news is going to be an hour perhaps announce it. (And why experiment when a reality show is on?) It’s not fair if they are going off the last half of the rating cos people who don’t follow closely might not know that BB is on half an hour later and therefore the ratings will be up cos everyone is waiting for BB. Last week sure yeah, the bushfires were an emergency thats fine, but this week, why the need for an hour? Who wants to watch an hour and a half straight of news? Not me. Needs to be fixed.

And yeah, what about the Finale? is that going to be pushed back half an hour as well?

And while I’m at it the EPG should also be updated throughout the night – sick of recording 2 broke girls only to find The big bang theory instead.

12 Trent { 10.31.13 at 12:39 pm }

@Loz that is really interesting.

We have had no signal since Monday Morning and called foxtel 3 times and they have said all of our area is down. It’s like torture missing the final week of BB, DWTS and possibly survivor tonight! AGHH

13 Andrea { 10.31.13 at 3:12 pm }

RR @8, here in a regional area of Qld, we get “A Current Affair” at 7pm on GEM as we have local news at 6, followed by national news at 6.30 so we don’t even get ACA the same time as everyone else.
And of course with no daylight savings we are behind an hour anyway.

14 Loz { 10.31.13 at 3:25 pm }

@trent – that’s odd. What part of Chatswood are you from? You don’t have to tell me the street of course but if you are near the public school or near Westfield or something?

15 Trent { 10.31.13 at 3:36 pm }

@Loz – Right next to the station (Bridge street side) It’s an apartment complex so i might ask a few people when i get home.
Very annoying because everytime i call they say it’s all of Chatswood. A few people i work with are from Chatwood and they are fine too. Very Frustrating!

16 Carole { 10.31.13 at 4:12 pm }

Oh, don’t get me started on the EPG. It is wrong so many times. They make changes last minute and make a show a double episode but if I have set my programme earlier in the day, I don’t realise. Or they change a repeat for a new episode and I tape the wrong one. I have 2 machines and sometimes the one in the bedroom has a completely different guide to the one in the loungeroom.

17 Rose { 11.01.13 at 4:43 am }

Did you guys see the Halloween special?

Wonder what you all think?

18 Carole { 11.01.13 at 2:32 pm }

Just read that the finale will be live in Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane. It’s on at 7.30 Melbourne & Sydney and 6.30 for Brisbane. Finally ch 9 have come to their senses about this.

19 Honeybee { 11.01.13 at 2:37 pm }

Loved it Rose.
Jade needed that. I hope she grows up now where guys are concerned.

She said she attracted douche bags but if she is going for guys that don’t want her, perhaps she is creating douche bags.

The other thing that Jade might note is the disrespect from others that her pursuit of the guys invoked.