The Amazing Race – Very Bad Luck For One Team

The Amazing Race saw the teams fly from Chile to Lisbon, Portugal and most of the tension in the episode was about which flights the teams were getting on and what time they were arriving.

Tim and Marie seemed to think having a spare express pass gave them the right to hold every team to ransom. Clearly Marie is the villain of the series and was peeved at the baseball wives for managing to get on the standby list ahead of them.

Nicky and Kim actually were really smart and once realised the check in desk was not going to open for some time went and saw the people in the executive lounge to put them first on the list. Applicants for the new Australian version of the show take note! Marie says “They pulled something I would have done” yes but she didn’t.

The married doctors, Nicole and Travis, were the first to land along with Jason and Amy and they stayed at the front until the pitstop where Jason and Amy with a seven minute head start got lost and Nicole and Travis arrived first to win the holiday to Costa Rica.

At the back end were a few teams but they did not have worry as former NFL players Chester and Ephraim had a flight debacle. In Chile they decided to take a ticket which had two stopovers to see if they could get in five hours earlier. Unfortunately for them there were a six hour delay on one of their legs and then after changing strategy were hit by another delay in London. They did not get to run the Lisbon leg. They were met at the airport by a very tired looking Phil telling them they were eliminated from the race. Unfortunately for the viewer this is the second episode in a row where the person eliminated because of unavoidable. Last week the Rowan and Shane were gone on the back of a bad taxi driver.

Here is an interview with the boys who talk about what happened.

Also some clever person has spotted the same taxi driver in two episodes one time in Portugal and another time in an upcoming episode in a different country. (Very minor spoilers but very funny).

1 Carole { 11.04.13 at 4:28 pm }

I felt really sorry for those guys. The original lady at the travel agent stuffed up and booked their flight for the wrong day, but the time she realised her mistake, the other team had booked their spot. She felt guilty so arranged the other flight but unfortunately everything went wrong there.

That Marie is a horrible creature. It was good to see some teams not sucking up to her just because of her express pass. Phil was hilarious when he made them think they were last.

2 Sioux Denim { 11.04.13 at 5:21 pm }

Loving this season currently being shown….yeah, agree was sad to see the big fella’s go….they really were quite cool about it all.
Marie certainly is the bitch of this season, I cant belive her team mate lets her to talk to him that way….vile! No doubt she will be there til the end…..

3 Carole { 11.05.13 at 8:54 am }

I hadn’t realised they were not allowed to leave the airport when they got eliminated. I always assumed they would go sightseeing since they are there and may never get a chance to go back.

4 Sue { 11.05.13 at 9:25 am }

Chester & Ephraim were shaping up to be one of the stronger teams of this season…until they got beaten by the airline delays.

Leo & Jamal are sexist. Wrapping sexism up inside humour doesn’t make it ok. I will be glad to see them arrive last at the pit stop sometime.

5 Honey bee { 11.05.13 at 11:56 am }

What night and channel is AR on atm. I have been looking for it.
Ta.

6 Sue { 11.05.13 at 12:36 pm }

Thursday evenings….late. Channel 7.

7 Honey bee { 11.05.13 at 12:38 pm }

Thanks .Sue. I appreciate it. Cheers

8 Wombat { 11.15.13 at 11:25 pm }

Oh no. My favourites went this week.

I was really hoping for a non-elimination.

9 Sioux Denim { 11.19.13 at 12:38 am }

Me too Wombat, really liked those dudes….

So wanting that bitch Marie outta the game now…..hoping the hicksville boys come good!

10 Techhater { 11.19.13 at 8:58 am }

I liked the beardies as well. Sad to see them go so now hoping for the Afghanimals and the Oaklahoma boys.

11 Wombat { 11.19.13 at 9:17 am }

Yeah, I didn’t want to writte a spoiler. I am so surprised the producers let those guys go early. And I hate to use this word but it was so unfair given that they were waaay ahead and then had to wait for everyone else.
I always love those kind of teams…like the hippies of a few seasons ago. And the Aussie surfer boys of a couple of years ago.
The Zee Zee tops were great.

12 Techhater { 11.19.13 at 9:32 am }

I agree about the unfairness of it. Yet they do it every season.

13 Techhater { 12.27.13 at 10:28 am }

Is anyone still watching TAR?

I found last night’s ep really good. I was cheering when Marie got lost and p*ssing myself laughing at the makeup challenge and then screaming at the Afghanimals to hurry up.

I was pleased with the winners of the leg and still loving the Afghanimals.

And how funny was Marie and the boiled eggs? 😛

14 Reality Raver { 12.27.13 at 10:31 am }

Techhater – I am but usually tape and watch on friday nights. I am enjoying this series. Though I accidentally fell across a spoiler on a travel website! Someone had taken a photo of final three at an airport and posted it months ago.

15 Techhater { 12.27.13 at 10:47 am }

RR So glad you’ve kept the spoiler to yourself. The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago with a season of Survivor when i accidently saw the winner online about 3 eps in. Thank God it’s fast tracked now.

16 Sioux Denim { 12.29.13 at 4:49 pm }

Yes, am still loving this series. I tape it Thurs and get to it when I can.

Would love to see Jason and Amy or the Afganibles win it….the Doctors seem to cocky for me and Marie is doing me head in, great reality contestant though.

Looks like we have a couple more eps to go too…..

17 Techhater { 12.29.13 at 5:19 pm }

Sioux As i’ve already said i LOVE the Afghanimals and yes Jason and Amy are a good 2nd choice. I think ER Drs way too hypocritical and would love to see Marie come a cropper. However i do like Tim but can’t take to her at all.

18 therenback { 12.29.13 at 6:18 pm }

TH That Doc is a bit scary.

19 Techhater { 12.29.13 at 6:47 pm }

Therenback Especially with that hideous makeup his wife put on him. My husband would never have stood for that and we’d be out in the teafields looking for those shears in a flash.

20 Calorie Loader { 12.29.13 at 7:27 pm }

Oh Lord TH, the makeup! Now that had me pissing myself as well. The Docs-are we good?
Expert: Still not good enough
Oh, it’s the gold strips honey, they’re not sticking
Docs: OK now?
Expert: Sorry, still not good enough
It’s the eyebrows, the eyebrows, says hubby working on his wife’s clean face, while his clown face make up continues to smudge and look like he’s a master chimney sweep.
x100 working on wife’s make-up mainly, and continuing to blacken hubby’s make-up

I had a feeling the afghanimals wouldn’t want to shave for the make-up challenge-would have been interested to see the result though. I think the other teams will be annoyed they’re still in the race.

21 Techhater { 12.29.13 at 7:41 pm }

CL Now that the beardies are out i so want the Afghanimals to win. How hypocriticall are the doctors. I am so over them. They U-Turn them all the time and say it’s because they’re liars but REALLY what are they teaching their kids?

You should’ve been at my house Thursday night, i couldn’t stop yelling at my tv. And i’m so relieved it was a non-elimination round as i wouldn’t know who to go for.

Would like to know who your fave is.

22 mittens { 12.29.13 at 9:36 pm }

How did those supposedly smart doctors not know the reason for the fail was all the big black splodges.

After the beardies got out, I didn’t mind Jason and Amy or the baseball wives. Now it’s Jason and Amy for me.
I can’t stand the afimals.
I would have had a fail with the egg. How come they weren’t hard after 5 minutes? The water looked boiling hot.

23 Calorie Loader { 12.29.13 at 10:27 pm }

LOL, nothing funnier than someone yelling at their TV 😛 TH, you may be playing with fire asking about my fav team…brace yourself.

All my favourite teams have actually been eliminated i.e. First the NRL boys, then the beards, and lastly Oklahoma.
Out of the remaining contestants, I think I’d like to see the dating couple win (Jason and Amy). They seem like the kindest, fairest players. Can’t see any other team sacrificing their spot to stop and help another struggling team. Would be happy if Marie and Tim came 2nd, afganimals 3rd and Docs dead last. I know, please don’t throw rocks at your screen!!! Let me splain…..

I’m with you on not liking the docs. I find them overly arrogant, hypocritical, and self satisfying players. The husband in particular. Am not keen on the way he treats his wife every time she doesn’t fulfill his expectations when completing a task-think recent music challenge and assembling fishing contraption in Dubai, ‘I’m so disappointed…you cost us….I’m so embarrassed.’

I know Marie can come across as a bitch, and while she gives poor Tim a hard time, I don’t think there is real malice behind her comments. Despite her bossiness, at the end of the day I reckon she respects Tim, even if she’d never admit to it, and that bickering is part of their relationship. If she thought he was that useless, she wouldn’t have gone on the show with him. She likes to be right, and says and does what a lot of people would like to. While not the softest, fairest, or most compassionate person, she is fierce and entertaining. Also, they have struggled, they are not perfect. I respect the underdogs. I have a soft spot for their navigation challenges. The time she nabbed Amy and Jason’s taxi, while not the most chivalrous of actions and not a smart move in making allies, it is a competition, and it was an empty taxi at the time. If it meant going to the next leg….

The afghanimals-I like their energy and enthusiasm, and I don’t mind them being playful (i.e. saying-yeah, the task was really quick, or, yeah Marie has been-she just swallowed the snake 😛 ) That’s their game play, and again, while it’s not winning them friends, it’s their strategy, which in the end is not hurting anyone except themselves (having said this, if they were like this 24/7 outside the comp, not being able to trust anything they said would get tiresome). I’m sorry, though, I do find them incredibly arrogant and a bit sexist. The way they carry on when they’ve completed a task when others around them are struggling is not pretty. I don’t hate them, but they’re not my faves.

24 Calorie Loader { 12.29.13 at 10:36 pm }

Mittens, my thoughts exactly!! How could it take 20 mins to boil some eggs in what appeared to be a spot spewing boiling water? They weren’t emu eggs! Plus if nothing else, I expected the residual heat to finish cooking them on the journey back (can you imagine George’s comments if he received those eggs :P).

25 Reality Raver { 12.29.13 at 10:46 pm }

Marie is one of the foulest reality TV contestants to hit our screens this year (however fun to watch but hopefully she can’t win). However maybe her aversion to food puts her in a permanent bad mood.

Mittens and Calorie Loader – Agree I thought it would only take 5 minutes to cook the eggs, however maybe the sulphur from the springs was making the water look like it was boiling.

26 mittens { 12.29.13 at 11:09 pm }

Yes, Calorie; my thoughts exactly back at you; the residual heat.
Eggs keep cooking in their own heat.
Maybe it’s what RR said.

27 Calorie Loader { 12.29.13 at 11:34 pm }

Ah of course RR, very good. I was wondering why Marie was saying that it stunk down there. Never been to a hot spring before-must keep that in mind.

I guess I was just going off the fact the Doc had some of the water splash on his arm and he reckoned it burned but after thinking about the fact that many hot springs are hospitable to bathing, and just looking up some temps out of interest-most look like they don’t reach boiling point. Plus if they didn’t submerge their eggs enough, that would also do it.

Mittens-also perhaps we wouldn’t be as critical of what was hard boiled-some of those initial ones I would have counted.

28 Sioux Denim { 01.04.14 at 11:11 pm }

God, what a week turnaround can do to my opinions on the remaining contestants…..bloody GO Tim and Marie!!
What an absolute wanker is that Travis….hope they get skunked good and proper….and as for Jason and Amy….bad move trying to help out the other team……its not as if they gonna split the prize money with you!
FFS….just go for it on your own!
Pity the Afgananimals got the boot, they would have been entertaining viewing in the finale….

29 Sioux Denim { 01.10.14 at 7:58 pm }

Anyone else watch the finale? What did you think?

It actually was quite a flat epsiode I thought, usually the last leg provides a chance to catch up or maybe I was just hoping it would….seemed a bit straight forward.

Am ok with the winners, would have preferred the second team to win.

Any chance of any interviews RR with any of the teams?

30 Techhater { 01.10.14 at 11:31 pm }

Sioux Agree abou “flat” finale. I was really annoyed the way Amy kept helping Nicole. I thought it sucked especially how it affected the Afghanimals demise.

Travis kept banging on all season about teaching his kids what integrity. But hell i hope they don’t take notice of how he treats his wife.

I didn’t like Marie either but like you i was hoping they’d win.

So glad Nicole and Travis came third.

31 Honey Bee { 01.10.14 at 11:57 pm }

Agreed girls. It was a bit anti-climactic compared to other seasons. Something about the way the last leg was organized I think

That doc was SCARY. What a competitive, demanding over-achiever. Those two seriously needs to go on Dr Phil for marital help.

Spotted my favourite beards at the end. Glad Amy and Jason won if my bearded boys didn’t.
Sorry TH, can’t like the afimals.

32 Calorie Loader { 01.12.14 at 11:11 pm }

Glad the Docs didn’t win. After that, not so fussed.

Did anyone else find the dating couple Jason and Amy a bit nauseating for this leg, with their cutesy babe this, babe that, and perfect run?

After Travis’ carry on whilst his wife and Amy struggled to build the robot last week, and Jason’s willingness to sit and conform with his degradation, abuse and lack of encouragement, I actually wished the Afghanimals made it through instead of one of these teams. Although they bickered occasionally, and could be cocky on their wins, they generally supported and encouraged each other, and did not rely on other teams to pull them through, as well as succeeding in spite of their competitors dislike. The amount of hand holding between those Jason and Amy and Travis and Nicole in the end was ridiculous (this included their attempt at sabotaging other teams chances while they were at it). Clearly Amy was thinking to keep them in strategically-which ended up working. However, I’m surprised when it is all about teams of two, that much collaboration was allowed.

Agree on it being anti-climactic. Still looking forward to further seasons, and hoping for better finales.

33 mittens { 01.13.14 at 1:23 am }

I tthink I would have enjoyed this season more if I had contestants I really liked. Too bad the beardie boys didn’t last. Everyone else was a bit myeh.

34 Calorie Loader { 01.13.14 at 1:56 am }

I know what you mean Mittens. It’s hard when your faves keep dropping like flies. They did still have some entertaining characters towards the end though in the form of the Afghanimals, Marie and her ex, and the docs. Here’s hoping for a cracker season 24.

Sioux Denim, here’s a link to interviews with the last 4 teams (not by RR though):

35 mittens { 01.13.14 at 4:21 pm }

CL, you know I’m not a fan of cute. Unless it’s a small child or a puppy.

36 Sioux Denim { 01.13.14 at 5:29 pm }

Thanks so much CL…great reading…I will def tag that link too!