Survivor Blood V Water – The Merge

The merge was on last night on Survivor but before they could get their new buffs the three on Redemption Island had to battle it out for survival and a spot back in the game.

John must not have been happy when he saw it was not a puzzle this week but a clinging onto a totem pole challenge. Laura B looked like she was going to be a an early casualty but it was John who fell first and he was eliminated. Laura M barely moved and Laura B dropped to the ground.

The classic was that Ciera Laura M’s daughter said her mum could really ruin her game if she was going to return. Surprisingly Ciera is the like the little mouse she had been getting things done and had made a solid alliance with the other solo players. The mum and daughter had to decide whether to go with the other couples or the solo players. They chose the latter.

Survivor Blood V Water has certainly showed different tactics then the usual with the loved ones having to consider another person. See Brad Culpepper interview where he talks about this.

The previous winners of Survivor appear to be too confident. Tina told Monica she was her number five.  Though getting to five as a solo player with two couples would guarantee you top three in theory. So Monica decided to stick with Tyson who is playing a masterful game.

He is very tight with Gervase helped by them pinching the coconut milk together. He has found the idol and was targeting Aras who he calls Sir Aras to the other other players to give the impression that Aras thinks he has all the players under his control.

At the immunity challenge which was a memory game it was down to brothers Vytas and Aras with Vytas looking pretty chuffed that he beat his brother to get the immunity necklace. He would probably be even happier after tribal council where Aras was blindsided and sent to Redemption Island. Aras had thought he and Gervase were still tight. This was not the case and his strategy of getting the girls to vote for Laura M and the boys for her daughter was just bizarre and illogical. As would have meant an alliance of five would have been able to vote out one of the six if a different vote pattern had occurred.

As Aras said Vytas will probably be joining him at the island next week, however everyone has been expecting Vytas to go for weeks….

Just in case let’s give them a bit of love with this interesting interview on EW with Vytas talking about the game thus far.

Trying to get gratuitous shots of Vytas and Aras up but for some reason my computer is borking maybe it can’t handle the heat!

For people who have not been watching Survivor there is going to be a marathon on GO channel this weekend kicking off 2.00pm Saturday. Highly recommended it is a great season and not just because of the eye candy.

1 Rose { 11.08.13 at 4:11 pm }

I listen to Rob has a podcast about survivor. It would be great if you guys could somehow connect through an interview. I know US fans would be interested in the Aussie views.

Plus, I hope to make a play to convince rob to cover Australian big brother next year. Who knows if ill be around, but it would get the show some more fans. Maybe you could be his Australian bb correspondent.

There is some good stories to be written comparing the two versions.

If any of you are interested in the crap season we just had- rob has a podcast covered BB Us too. I cringe with embarrassment for you guys to see our show in depth because your show is so fantastic.

Your articles on survivor are great too. So why not get robs fans to check your site? I’m going to blah it in the comments to his show if I can ever get access to a better device than my phone. His site doesn’t run well on my phone.

This could be a good connection for both sides of the Pacific.

Love you guys.

2 Carole { 11.08.13 at 6:31 pm }

That sounds like a great idea Rose. I look at Robs site as well. I don’t listen to his podcast, but I read his recaps.

I was hoping Rupert’s wife would come back in the game. Those memory tasks, I would be hopeless at them, I have a terrible memory.

I think it was a mistake for John to kick his shoes off on the totem pole, with only socks they were very slippery and it was hard for him to get a good grip. I wouldn’t last 5 mins doing that.

3 Fiona { 11.09.13 at 9:24 am }

@Rose I watched the US version of BB this season and I also listen to RHAPs Survivor, TAR and BB podcast. Sadly from what I’ve heard on RHAP I highly doubt that he would ever cover the Aussie BB for a number of reasons. Firstly it is on 5 days a week which is a big commitment and secondly you may like our BB but the RHAP audience like the strategy part of the US Version and lastly the Aussie version overlaps with the US one.
If you want to hear Americans talking about BBAU I suggest that you listen to http://sistahspeakpodcast.com/ (Not sure if this has been discussed on here during BB I was mostly on Behind Big Brother).
That Immunity challenge had to of been the worst merge Immunity challenge ever. What ever happened to the who wants it more type challenges of standing on a pole in the middle of water for 10 hours.
So happy that Aras has gone to redemption island this week. I hate it when a player gets cocky (well except for Russel Hantz)
I feel as though next week looks good from the promo of Tina yelling at Tyson & Co.

4 Rose { 11.09.13 at 3:04 pm }

These are good comments. I think it would be possible to do a podcast on all the events in a week- so just one a week.

I also feel that it is possible to assess how each persons game is going. I see a good deal of strategy in BB Australia from each and every player no matter how much they deny it or how much they are prevented from discussing nominations.

Example: it is obvious that Tahan saw the sugar sisters as a greater threat than they actually were. She should have been targeting Ed to push him out to prevent the showmance, and so should Tim. Tim is lucky he got that win because he had to overcome the combined fanbases of two people.

Tim was smart because the boy group was broken up, but he should have done the same with the girls.

Also, mikkayla would have gone sooner if she hadn’t been saved. I think Tim erred by saving her.

Now maybe next year all the players will be clueless airheads who don’t have a strategy, but I doubt it. Even people who walk in the door without a strategy have to develop one.

So I guess I see a good deal of strategy in BB Aus to discuss on a podcast. And a good deal of sorting out the different standings of the players. Knowing the percentages helps with that.

5 Honey Bee { 11.09.13 at 3:12 pm }

Rose, do you mean Boston Rob.

I really can’t stand him.

But I have a nanna crush on Malcom.

6 Rose { 11.09.13 at 3:13 pm }

Regarding survivor- as that is what this post is about. I don’t understand why Vitas and Aras underestimated Tyson. Possibly because he didn’t have a partner any longer in the game. So maybe it is working out well for Tyson that the idiotic team of Brad Culpepper weakened their tribe to try to get to Tyson. Also it seems that Hayden dislocating Tyson’s shoulder helped Tyson not be seen as a challenge threat. For some reason, Aras doesn’t at all feel challenged by Tyson’s athleticism.

Aras didn’t keep his group in order and he underestimated Tyson as a leader.

I’m interested in what will happen with Monica because she is so annoying, but Tina treated her in a very cavalier manner.

I don’t think Vytas is next. I think Tina threatening Tyson so openly will put her ,or her daughter who has been almost invisible,as a target. I think Tyson will focus on eliminating pairs before he goes after Vytas.

7 Honey Bee { 11.09.13 at 3:22 pm }

Is Tina the older blond lady with the thin wavy hair. She’s not a smart player.

8 Rose { 11.09.13 at 3:23 pm }

Rob has a podcast is not boston rob. It is rob cesternino, a two time survivor player and an engaging host.

His website is rob has a website.

9 Honey Bee { 11.09.13 at 3:28 pm }

Thanks Rose :)

I suppose it’s night time and cold where you are now.

Lovely and warm and sunny here. Just gone midday in WA.

10 Rose { 11.09.13 at 3:29 pm }

Honey bee- Tina is the older blonde. Don’t underestimate her. She won the season played in Australia years ago. She is very tough and strategic. She was the first person evicted from the all stars season because they felt she was a threat and as a previous winner they were worried about letting her last too long. It may not seem like it but she is smart and tough. She will try to get revenge for her post merge alliance blowing up, even though she pushed out the original no name alliance.

As a previous winner, she wanted Aras around as a shield because they have a mutual self- interest.

11 Rose { 11.09.13 at 3:33 pm }

Yes. It has just turned cold. We may get snow next week. And it is late as well.

Maybe Australia is the place to go for the winter. It just seems so very far away and very expensive once you get there!!

12 Honey Bee { 11.09.13 at 3:35 pm }

Hmmm. Very interesting Rose. I didn’t see the original series so I am ignorant of Tina.
I’m off to watch Amazing Race and BNTM. A pretty relaxing, indulgent arvo ahead.

13 Honey Bee { 11.09.13 at 3:36 pm }

And my plan is to be able to live in Malaysia every year when it’s winter here.

14 Fiona { 11.09.13 at 4:35 pm }

@Rose In BBAU it is a different kind of strategy compared to the US version. You can save, nominate or go hate anyone you like but if the public does not like you it is all for nothing. I think the strategy to implement in BBAU is how to insert yourself into every possible story line to maximize your airtime. This is what Tim did in a very successful way. I don’t think RHAP will recognize this is the strategy in BBAU. He and the majority will be used to the open kind of strategy that is in BBUSA and survivor.

15 Sioux Denim { 11.09.13 at 7:01 pm }

Spewing I missed the first 30 mins of the show, thanks for the recap RR.
Can someone please tell me how Tyson found the
Idol?
Monica jas been my fave for a while, but even I was agreeing with Tyson about her over strategising…give it a rest luv!
Tina looks like she gives them all a mouth full next week, dont like her at all, but do look forward to some inhouse bickering.

16 Honey Bee { 11.09.13 at 7:04 pm }

SiouxDenim. He guessed it was a certain tree because it looked like a serpent and poked around, found it and then went ha ha very smugly. And hid it.

17 emp { 11.09.13 at 9:57 pm }

Redemption Island stinks, shoulda gotten rid of it when it was merge time. Ah well. Viewers shoulda known Aras was leaving – we saw how many times Vytas said he and Aras were “so safe”.

Vytas to go next week, assuming he doesn’t win immunity again. If he does I suspect Katie will be gone.

18 Sioux Denim { 11.10.13 at 12:43 am }

Honey Bee, thanks, has he told anyone else he has it?

Emp, agree totally Redemption Island AND returning players should stop!

19 Rose { 11.10.13 at 1:21 am }

Sioux Denim

Hi! Tyson found the idol because Hayden ( a former winner of BBUS) told the new members of the tribe (after the shake-up) the clues John had gotten from Candice. Why none of them found it before Tyson did is astonishing. I think they had been looking but that wasn’t shown.

Tyson hasn’t told anyone he has the idol. He may not tell them.

I guess the one on the other beach will never be found.

20 Rose { 11.10.13 at 1:33 am }

@Fiona- I agree the strategy is different. You make a great point. But there is still plenty of strategy with nominations, player standings and result percentages. I agree that the audience of RHAP doesn’t care about stuff like does Ed really like Jade, other than how the relationship is impacting the game.

I would have loved an analysis of Tims strategy of picking arguments with people who were leaving. I wonder if the person had just laughed it off, or let it go, like Drew did a couple of times, if they might have stayed. He couldn’t do that to Ben, because he would have looked like a bully.

So there is the strategy of the social dynamic and also how people enter act. There is also the edit. The editors seemed to hate Jade despite her beauty, possibly because she was so boring. I’m not saying they were dishonest, but they do have to create story lines and follow through with them.

I think the US audience would love the hell out of this show. It is so much better than ours. It is hard to predict if next season will be as good.

I can honestly say that big brother Australia changed my worldview a bit. I also saw parts of myself in people and realized how awful that behavior is to others- bitching over minor stuff, not be enthusiastic, not wanting to try stuff outside my comfort zone.

21 Rose { 11.10.13 at 1:36 am }

@emp- do you really think Vytas is next? I guess he is the most obvious choice.

Who is the biggest threat to Tyson and Gervase alliance now?

22 Juz { 11.10.13 at 10:44 pm }

I am loving watching Tyson on this season – he’s hilarious. Hopefully we’ll see more Coconut Brothers footage.

23 Sioux Denim { 11.19.13 at 12:44 am }

Wow, thought Monica a goner for sure….do love her but didnt realise how paranoid she bloody was! Not sure she gonna hang around too long now…

Its bloody stupid having Tina and Aras on there as previous winners, as if they going to win another oner…hoping Caleb gets up…he playing it very cool at the mo…

24 Techhater { 11.19.13 at 8:47 am }

It sucks that Rupert was eliminated so early on. Have always been a big fan of his. Am loving Tyson. I think he’s playing a great game as are Caleb and Cierra.

25 Juz { 11.19.13 at 9:25 am }

Caleb isn’t getting much air time, which makes me think that when he finally does, he’ll be going that night

26 Techhater { 11.19.13 at 9:28 am }

That’s usually what happens

27 Sandcrab { 11.19.13 at 9:47 am }

I am surprised at myself for liking Monica. I don’t recall her from any previous season. I’m not liking Tina much. Vitas is finding it too easy being a snake. As is the one with long blond hair who I like the least.

28 Sioux Denim { 11.19.13 at 4:39 pm }

Your probably right Juz, him and Hayden aren’t getting much camera time at all…..

29 Techhater { 11.19.13 at 5:25 pm }

Which could possibly mean they will be around for a while.

30 Juz { 11.19.13 at 5:35 pm }

I was impressed with Monica winning the food challenge – not usually the girls’ domain. Ciera could make top 3 as she’s not seen as a threat, and I reckon her mum won’t last the distance as the guys perceive her as a threat.

31 Juz { 11.22.13 at 10:39 pm }

Just saw this week’s ep – anyone else think Hayden and Caleb threw the knotted rope challenge so as not to appear physical threats? Or are they just secure in their alliance and not feeling the need to waste their energy?

32 Sioux Denim { 11.23.13 at 12:45 am }

Heh Juz, I thought that at first too but do remember this challenge from previous seasons and most of the big units cant actually hang on for too long from memory as they lacking the strength…its interesting though too see who just slacks off thinking they safe……

I was impressed with Monica’s win, she really did look very determined. Not sure giving all the other team mates the food was a good idea, strategically this has come back to bite them in the ass….looks like Tyson might have to use the Idol next episode….cant wait!

33 Techhater { 11.23.13 at 3:31 am }

Remember the hanging on challenge was Cochran’s saving moment, even though he had an advantage. However, it was what helped him to win.

I am liking Caleb and Hayden but don,t want either to win.
Caleb: because he’s with that loser Colton. (God only knows why)
Hayden: because he won BB US.

I DO like Tyson and agree he will probably have to use his idol next week.

Cudos to Cierra for nominating her mum, she’s playing a fantastic game, way better than Kate.

Monica is a surprise this season just hope she can hold it together.

34 Juz { 11.23.13 at 7:46 am }

I am hoping the promo showing Tyson as a target was just a beat up. I want him to win. But he is a huge threat and they would be wise to get rid of him. Ciera is doing well – she’ll definitely be invited back for another season.