Recipe To Riches – And The Chocorn Won!

Garth Midgley took out the first and probably only series of Recipe To Riches with his very popular Chocorn. The product sold out in over 900 Woolworths supermarkets.

He beat Vicki Cameron-Smith’s (QLD) chocolate sandwich cookies and Connie Tavella’s (NSW) croquettes. Clearly the consumer prefers the sweet to the savoury.

His product was very tasty and fans of it will be pleased to know it will back on the shelves in January. Garth has been working on his product for over 10 years so is an inspiration on not to give up when you think you have a good idea.

He wins $100,000 and a business partnership with Woolworths.

An exclusive interview with the winner will be up on Reality Ravings where we talk about the product, the show and his contract with Woolworths.

1 Andrea { 11.13.13 at 9:26 am }

This Chocorn looked delicious, I bought the Cadbury version yesterday which tasted great!
I was wondering RR, who came up with the idea first, Cadbury or Garth?

2 Reality Raver { 11.13.13 at 9:27 am }

Andrea – you will have to read my interview…… but since that will be a few hours before it was up it was Garth.

3 The Nutritionists of Australia Jump for Joy! { 11.13.13 at 9:31 am }

Top stuff.
Woolies – The Processed Food People

4 2paw { 11.13.13 at 9:50 am }

At the end of the show they called for recipes for next year. I was a little surprised at that, given the overall opinion that the show wouldn’t be back in 2014.

5 Littlepetal { 11.13.13 at 9:59 am }

The show didn’t rate but Woolie is getting the most out of it. My bet is Woolie is paying C10 heaps of money to continue with the series. C10 has nothing to lose here is Woolie is paying for it

6 Reality Raver { 11.13.13 at 10:01 am }

True if TEN are making a profit from the show they might continue but low ratings in a prime time does effect the other shows on the Network in my opinion.

7 Littlepetal { 11.13.13 at 10:12 am }

C10 is rating poorly at the moment and they don’t have great shows to fill up the timeslots.

8 Miss Maudy { 11.13.13 at 10:24 am }

My local fruit shop has had chocolate coated pop corn for a couple of years. I was really surprised it was a ‘new’ idea.

9 drb123 { 11.13.13 at 10:37 am }

Chocorn lasted for weeks at my local Woolies (Gordon NSW), at $7 a box I wasn’t surprised it lasted as long as it did. Tasted nice enough but too expensive for what you got (same pricing concern felt for the other products). It felt like price gouging

10 PollyB { 11.13.13 at 11:11 am }

Is there any word that any of the other products are being picked up? I loved the Jangles!

11 TickledPink { 11.13.13 at 11:18 am }

RIGGED.. they had to buy a $25,000 machine to produce the product so sounds suss that it won.. sweet billies were way more popular and a lot of stores i went into still had Chocorn weeks later..

12 all happening { 11.13.13 at 11:25 am }

I wondered whether Woolies had something in the contract stopping contestants flogging their product elsewhere. I hope not.
I found it interesting that reading Woolies FB page, certain city stores were selling out of some of the products. In our country Qld store, none of the products sold out. Most had a time of 1/2 price and even store workers never noticed some products on shelves.

13 Joseph Skyrim { 11.13.13 at 11:56 am }

Yay! I wanted Garth the Kenny G look alike (at least in hair) to win, now my odds of tasting Chocorn have increased! 😀 I really thought Sweet Billie had it in the bag though, but I’m guessing Chocorn is a bit easier to share.

14 Joseph Skyrim { 11.13.13 at 11:59 am }

Hey RR, can you ask Garth (if you haven’t interviewed him yet) how close the finished product is to his hand made ones? Just curious.

Also all happening #12 – I’m sure Woolies had a clause to prevent them giving their ideas out to competitors for at least x number of months.

15 Alyssa { 11.16.13 at 10:52 pm }

Surprised to admit but the only R2R product I purchased was Chocorn, Admittedly it was tasty but I did buy it at half price.