TEN 2014 – Reality TV Schedule Looks Really Really Good

The TEN 2014 upfronts were held earlier this week to promote their shows and fingers crossed next year will see the network kicking some goals.

Their reality TV schedule is strong. They are bringing back So You Think You Can Dance Australia with Paula Abdul as one of the judges. She spoke to the crowd and she was exactly as you expected gorgeous and slightly kooky. She will be joined on the panel by Jason Gilkison,  Shannon Holtzapffel and Aaron Cash. Carrie Bickmore will host.

Masterchef Australia is back with Kylie Kwong joining the cast as a guest mentor and it will be good to have a women who specialty is Asian cuisine. This season will be the “most authentic ” season. TEN were saying it will be less scripted, less predictable, more exciting and more focused on food than ever before.  When I asked Gary Mehigan about it being less scripted he reckons that is always the case. I also talked to Gary about the success of the show in India he has been there three times this year. It is shown on cable over there and gets over 1.2 million viewers an episode. He was saying Indian food in Australia nothing like what you get in India. If I was a betting person I would guess Gary might be looking to do something in that area either a cookbook or business maybe. There would certainly be a market.

The Bachelor is back for series two. It turned into a sleeper hit for the Network particularly with the online views. There were over 7 million views of the show online. Don’t be surprised if The Bachelorette pops up next year either.

The Biggest Loser: Challenge Australia will see Michelle, Shannan and Commando help an entire town lose weight. This is a good way of putting a bit of a twist in the series. Ararat which is one of the countries heaviest towns is now in danger of being known as Arafat, however they must have loved the boost to the economy of having the show film there for a few weeks. I have heard they take some of the residence and bring them back to Camp Biggest Loser. And of course we will be looking for that sexual tension between Michelle Bridges and Commando.

American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance US and Snog Marry Avoid will continue to be shown on ELEVEN.

1 Calorie Loader { 11.21.13 at 4:07 pm }

Thanks for the update RR.

Flogging a dead horse comes to mind with TBL-replace the trainers and show format and I might watch. Having to watch Commando and Michelle goo it up is a turn off to me. Poor Shannon!!

Paula Abdul is always fun to watch. Carrie Bickmore hosting..will she still be involved with The Project?

On Masterchef being less scripted…bets are on for how many seconds in we will hear those renowned catch phrases from Matt, contestants and co.
-how much winning means
-how it is life-changing
-prizes for best back story
-Matt…who will be going home?
-first people sent home with no back stories
-cook something that paints a picture of your life. I wanna be taken on a journey.. (you’ve just been flown around Australia FFS on a food feast)
-we eat with our eyes (not the way I ingest food…but apparently George has other ideas)
-spiking dishes with chilli to see how quickly George beads up with sweat
-Western star butter and masterfoods ad spruiking
-how much everyone has grown..emotionally and otherwise
-boom boom, shake the room
-you have 10 seconds on the clock…if it’s not on the plate we can’t taste (actually you could just walk over and grab a fistful of bench remains)
-I’m salivating (keep it to yourself George)
-welcoming one of the Masterchef family, one of the greats, a superstar..in walks last years contestants that haven’t been seen or heard of since starting their ‘amazing careers’
-limitless amount of flashbacks (to all of 5 seconds ago)

2 Juz { 11.21.13 at 9:59 pm }

Lol at Arafat – I reckon they picked it just so they could say that a million times throughout the “journey”. With the MasterChef viewing figures, RR, could you please add the word million after 1.2. Let’s hope there are fewer team challenges and more mystery boxes. Great update

3 Littlepetal { 11.21.13 at 10:12 pm }

I have heard that before about Masterchef. The same old lie. I am not falling for it. C10 is in a lot of trouble with their rating. They better get it right this time.

Kylie Kwong is going to be the mentor but will she be judging? If I remember correctly, Matt Moran was a mentor but didn’t judge the dishes. The same 3 amigos still do the judging especially George who can’t take chillies but knows everything about curries.

4 brain dead dave { 11.21.13 at 10:23 pm }

“Most authentic season” of Ma$terchef ever, hmm?

We’ve been down this road before, $hine.

Ah, you beat me to the Ma$terchef porky, Littlepetal. Will you accept this rose?

5 Georgie { 11.21.13 at 10:31 pm }

“When I asked Gary Mehigan about it being less scripted he reckons that is always the case.”

Umm – that would have to be the most ridiculous statement I’ve ever read! In fact that beats his bogan Australia comment from last year.

You beat me to it too bdd and Littlepetal. More pork than MKR’s sausage king.

6 Littlepetal { 11.21.13 at 10:37 pm }

Yes, BDD!!

The 3 amigos have to say the right things to try to justify their fat pay packets.

7 brain dead dave { 11.21.13 at 10:40 pm }

It’s less scripted , of course, which is why we hear the judges relying on the same old cliches year after year to describe proceedings in the “Ma$terchef kitchin”.

8 Georgie { 11.21.13 at 10:43 pm }

Gives a whole new meaning to the term ‘idiot cards’ doesn’t it?

9 Littlepetal { 11.21.13 at 10:47 pm }

They may need the cards that Anna used on Tim

10 Littlepetal { 11.21.13 at 10:51 pm }

I just read that Rishi is charging $150 for a 6 course degustation dinner, wine included.

I think some of these MC contestants have over rated their cooking abilities.

11 Georgie { 11.21.13 at 10:54 pm }

You could be right Littlepetal but whichever way you look at it, he’ll stump up something better than the rest of this years contestants, especially the winner.

12 Reality Raver { 11.21.13 at 10:56 pm }

Maybe he is wearing a tight t-shirt as he cooks. Where did you see that Little Petal?

13 brain dead dave { 11.21.13 at 10:57 pm }

Emma Dean will charge $150 for six courses of chips…that seagulls reject.

14 Littlepetal { 11.21.13 at 10:59 pm }

Here is the menu:

Agree that Rishi is better than the other contestants.

15 Littlepetal { 11.21.13 at 11:02 pm }

Here is an interview with Rishi about what he is up to. A cookbook will be coming out next year.

16 Reality Raver { 11.21.13 at 11:02 pm }

thanks Little Petal.

17 Georgie { 11.21.13 at 11:21 pm }

I suspect we’ll see and hear a lot more from Rishi, whereas Emma will fade into obscurity. Rishi is to MC, what Cosentino is to AGT – the loser who won.

18 Fiona { 11.22.13 at 6:01 am }

I hardly watch anything on Ten anymore. SYTYCD is something I will be tuning into watch. As for TBL I’ll give the first few eps a go and see how much I like it.

I really hope Ten have some success in 2014.

19 Jen { 11.22.13 at 1:24 pm }

Re: biggest loser.

Well put. It’s a good change on a very predictable format.

I’m really surprised at channel 9 recently (the past 2 years maybe?) though… they have revamped their style and I used to say I was a channel 10 watcher with a little bit of channel 7, but I think I watch more channel 9 than I have ever done so.

Thanks for all the updates RR. :-)

20 Mittens { 11.23.13 at 11:00 pm }

I am watching a rec of this week’s The Walking Dead on SBS2 atm.
The cop got shot and woke up in hospital to find that the zombies had taken over. He has been taken in by a black guy and his son.
Does anyone know if this the first of a series. It’s not bad for a zombie show.

21 Culinary Boner { 11.24.13 at 10:37 am }

Good to see a reality TV first – nightly humiliation for an entire township of fatty boombahs, rather than just a handful of porkers.

Ten and Shine deploying the equivalent of Weapons of Mass Debasement. Can’t wait.

22 all happening { 11.24.13 at 10:44 am }

Wasn’t sure where to post this article on RTV and the longevity of it’s stars.

It seems some work it more that others.

23 Rosie { 11.24.13 at 5:34 pm }

Yes, Mittens, The Walking Dead is a very successful series. I believe it has been shown on PayTV, but I am currently watching DVDs of the third season from the video shop.

24 Mittens { 11.24.13 at 7:26 pm }

Thanks Rosie, I was trying to work out if I was watching the first episode or not.
The dept sheriff is English (speaking with a US accent). He was in a British show called Teachers.

25 Rosie { 11.24.13 at 10:15 pm }

Yes, the first episode is the one where Rick (played by Andrew Lincoln) wakes from his month long coma to discover the world has been overrun by zombies – or walkers, in the parlance of this show. I don’t normally go for this kind of thing, but I LOVE The Walking Dead. 😀

26 Mittens { 11.24.13 at 10:33 pm }

“Oh Rosie, don’t you do that to the boys…” Sorry the name just makes me burst into song.

Thanks Rosie. Yeah, me neither on zombies but I quite enjoyed it. It is good to know that I saw the first show, and now I can catch it every week, or dl if I get impatient. In fact nothing on tonight.

27 Socs { 11.25.13 at 2:09 pm }

Andrew Lincoln is great, and I’m glad that someone else other than me watched Teachers back in the day, Mittens!

re: Masterchef–I don’t know if Kylie Kwong can be counted as an ‘expert’ on Asian cuisine, but that’s just me. As for Indian food in Australia vs Indian food in India–of course it’s different! Most places in Aust focus on the northern Indian region only, and don’t see the regional differences in food! Too many Australians think that Indians only eat butter chicken and chicken korma, or maybe I’ve been living in Brisbane for far too long *sigh* As for Gary’s comments … I agree Little Petal, I’ll believe it when I see it!!

28 brain dead dave { 11.25.13 at 5:16 pm }

People actually pay to watch Ma$terchef in India? Love it.

29 brain dead dave { 11.25.13 at 5:44 pm }

Oh yes, I don’t see Ma$terchef Professionals in the mix,either. $hine were actually on a roll with that one, quality wise..believe it or not.

30 Calorie Loader { 11.25.13 at 6:53 pm }

BDD, you’re right. I think MCP’s turned out to be unpopular.

Turns out more people preferred listening to the wank that comes out of the 3 stooges mouths plus watching people that burn boiling water as opposed to talented chef’s being led by one of the greats with a no-bullshit format when it came to elimination, and a series that focused on food and ability. Happily, I can’t remember anyone’s personal bs.