AACTA – The Best Reality TV Nominations Are A Tad Controversial

The Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards aka AACTA’s have released their nominations today and the Reality TV nominations will raise some eyebrows of reality fans.

The shows nominated are Australia’s Got Talent, Masterchef: The Professionals, My Kitchen Rules and The X Factor.

What is interesting is that neither The Voice or The Block were nominated and they were two of the highest rated shows of the year. Also Big Brother could have done with a look in this year as it was such a great series considering the amount of hours they had to pump out.

It is good that these things are not based on ratings alone but producers of both these shows must be pretty disappointed.

1 Georgie { 12.04.13 at 12:46 pm }

Standards and quality of production have little to do with the lemming factor (ratings). That’s why Amazing Race won an AACTA last year but didn’t get a run this year. House Rules should have made the nomination cut too, simply for the ‘enjoyment factor’.

2 Lizard Taylor { 12.04.13 at 9:48 pm }

I would rate this years BB, Aussie Amazing Race and CA.

Out of the talent shows, I prefer the Voice.

I thought MC: the pros was better than MKR or MC this year because of the inadequacy of cooking ability in the latter two shows. MKR and MC both dragged on too long, and bringing back eliminated contestants is a deal-breaker.

3 Calorie Loader { 12.04.13 at 11:43 pm }

Agree Lizard-BB, AR and MC professionals would be my picks

4 peacetrain { 12.04.13 at 11:50 pm }

Any IF You are the One fans; I discovered that the mid week IYATO shows this week were new, not repeats. It’s worth checking the midweek shows.
Tonight’s IYATO was really good.

5 Dr T { 12.05.13 at 10:34 am }

Second peacetrain – IYATO – that girl at the end was craaaaaaaaaaazy. Mind you, so was the dude. Never seen the lights go out so quickly as last night for the last dude.

RE: I understand MKR getting a look in (I did hate the show as it wasn’t about cooking, but if the category was reality TV then fair enough). MCA did not deserve to even be mentioned, 1/2 of the contestants were awful and no one watched. I agree if you were going to put one in out of the MCs it would be MC Pro, but… well… what do you do.

PS Watch If You Are The One

6 Techhater { 12.05.13 at 10:48 am }

Thanks for tip about new eps of IYATO. I stopped watching because they appeared to be all repeats. Will tune back.

7 peacetrain { 12.05.13 at 10:48 am }

Dr T, the timing ‘pyow pyow’ when the lights go off is so weird.
I thought they should have all gone off at the pedal pushers.

I watched twice this week and neither were repeats.
Oh Dr T I wish you could go on this one. You could bring back the poomvy one so I could slap her.

(Poomvy is a word my Sri Lankan granma used if someone acted like that meaning either preciously or precotiously coy/cute)

8 Techhater { 12.05.13 at 10:52 am }

Peacetrain i think Mrs Dr T might object if he went on this one. 😛

9 Dr T { 12.05.13 at 10:57 am }

Our esteemed former prime minister, KRudd, has the appropriate nerdiness and handle on language to go on “If Not Sincere, Do Not Disturb”

I’m always amazed by the fact that if the guy looks after ok none of them drop out early. I wonder if the girls have a pact not to buzz until after round 1 such that if someone does pick the guy up they get the holiday.

Very disappointed that they are only handing out fashion shoes to the woman, and not the pair of matching lovers’ shoes anymore (which I would have loved to have seen a photo of at some point in time)

10 mittens { 12.05.13 at 11:06 am }

Hubby and I have matching lovers’ shoes. They are called slippers.

Dr T what did he say the name of the other guys TV was? Is it the one KRudd went on?

I think you should go on Dr T. There were a couple of little cuties last night, like the girl in the black dress and the girl in the blue dress with the buttons.

11 Techhater { 12.05.13 at 11:06 am }

Before the matching pairs of shoes they used to get 100 yuan for every light still on at the end to spend on their date. It seems the more the successful this show is the lousier the prizes are. Go figure. Maybe it’s a Chinese thing. Imagine what would happen if a show like Survivor tried that.

And the winner receives a dinner for 2 at MacDonalds.

12 peacetrain { 12.05.13 at 11:11 am }

I love when they get all patriotic.

I watched twice this week and both shows were very good.

How’s the weird comedy and the way the compare sometimes tells the girls off.

RR have you watched this yet.

It is crazy love.

13 Dr T { 12.05.13 at 11:13 am }

I don’t know what the name of Le Jia’s show is – there’s very little English language stuff about the show online

TH – the commies made them (the station) tone down the show because it was too materialistic – that’s partly why there is alot more philosophising now, and less about what their salaries are and what kind of car they drive. I suspect that is why the money changed too (although I haven’t seen the earliest episodes).

I loved the last girl’s response at the end of last night: “Take me”

14 Techhater { 12.05.13 at 11:19 am }

Dr T That’s a good theory. Although right from the beginning “patriotism” was always a big issue with the contestants.

However, your theory does explain as to why they don’t go to Hawaii anymore.

15 peacetrain { 12.05.13 at 11:19 am }

Did you love the talking teddy? “Mummy” :)

I loved it the time the contestant started slagging of the US just to show his patriotism and the compare had to shoosh him because of US sales. Ha ha. The guy was getting ready to wax even more lyrical on the evils of the west.

16 peacetrain { 12.05.13 at 11:23 am }

Dr T, RR can help you with your videos and I am really good at styling.

ALthough I can’t get into those girls’ heads to see what they see or don’t see in these guys.
It seems being chubby is often a plus. But dressing like a groovy Tibetan and wander the mountain villages is a minus.
Funny that a lot of these guys are happy to take bratty, spoilt girls.

17 Techhater { 12.05.13 at 11:25 am }

@ 15 Like the American contestant who waxed lyrical about how much the Chinese lifestyle was so much better than America’s. Needless to say he went home empty-handed.