Mel B To Be On Breakfast Radio – Really Is She Drawcard?

Clearly Today FM did not get the memo that Mel B was not that popular in Australia as they have appointed her as part of their new breakfast line up. Mel B was announced in the new line up with Sophie Monk as well as Jules Lund and Merrick Watts.

They will replace the popular Kyle and Jackie O show.

Mel B who can currently be seen on America’s Got Talent on Fox 8 on Saturday nights sees Australia as a way of boosting her income be it on our TV shows or making appearances at the races.

She lost her shine when she signed up with NINE’s Australia Got Talent when she was still signed by SEVEN for The X Factor. SEVEN in good faith let her out of this year’s The X Factor when she said her daughter’s father would not allow her to come to Australia. It went to court and SEVEN received an injunction to stop Mel B from being a show on AGT.

When Mel B was on Dancing With The Stars she showed she had difficulty with being off the cuff and with the Australian vernacular.

Clearly you need if you are a female in radio you have to be a celebrity and good looking as Rachel Finch is also doing radio over the summer hiatus.

Ros Reines from the Sunday Telegraph wrote this very good article on this issue about how the radio station thought they needed to hire on sex appeal rather than broadcasting talent.

I am bit over the media and TV industry importing mediocre international talent when they should be nurturing local people. Would a Dicko ever be discovered these days? He was an unknown working and living here in the record industry and he was the highlight of Australian Idol.

It will be interesting to see how popular this quartet is. What do you think about it?

1 brain dead dave { 12.13.13 at 12:33 pm }

Fair dinkum, Mel B has a voice and accent that makes me want to throw up. She’d be better employed opening the batting for England this arvo.

The other three are also rans. But then look at the human detritus from Big Brother and MKR that get radio gigs .Paradise Lost.

2 Doris { 12.13.13 at 1:22 pm }

She sure gets around. She hosted Miss World.

Her manager is doing a good job selling her because she’s between myeh and blugh imo.

3 Georgie { 12.13.13 at 1:41 pm }

As far as imports are concerned I thought Geri Halliwell did a great job as a judge on AGT. She came across as knowledgable, honest and sincere. She was also able to joke around and have fun – mostly at her own expense.

4 Littlepetal { 12.13.13 at 4:58 pm }

Can’t stand Dicko on radio. Small doses of the pommie accent is fine but not for 3 hrs.

Mel B – not sure what they see in her.

5 peacetrain { 12.13.13 at 5:06 pm }

I guy I work with speaks Scottish and I can’t understand him.
And that’s after years of watching Taggart (Tegghherrrt) and going around the house saying, “Jeckeh”.

6 Tickledpink { 12.13.13 at 6:03 pm }

Oh no not Mel B! Why!!!

7 Jacqui { 12.13.13 at 6:24 pm }

I probably won’t listen as I dislike all four people! If there is four of them, how much music will we actually hear?

8 Calorie Loader { 12.14.13 at 12:04 am }

Just Spice Girls, later renditions of If you wanna be my Lover(eg Geri on AGT), and some old pop stars toones.

9 Calorie Loader { 12.14.13 at 12:05 am }

Georgie-Geri and Carl were a good team 😛

Peacetrain…I quite enjoy practicing pronouncing maarrdarr.

10 peacetrain { 12.14.13 at 12:17 am }

Calorie, when I watch Taggart, I think in Scottish. Och! Jeckeh!

11 Calorie Loader { 12.14.13 at 4:05 am }

😛 You might want to check this out

12 Techhater { 12.14.13 at 10:35 am }

Thank God we don’t get those radio stations out here. See, being 125 kilometres from anywhere really does have it’s advantages.

13 mittens { 12.14.13 at 10:44 am }

Thanks Calorie Girl. I’ll get practicing and maybe we can chat in Scottish one day and only you and I will understand each other.
:) We’ll have haggis and dance the highland fling too. Maybe not the last two.

14 Sandii { 12.14.13 at 1:33 pm }

I really don’t get why we have to get people like Mel B and co. We are a big country, is there really no one who could do the job. This also should include programs like The Voice etc. We have so many talented people why do we think we need to get stars from other countries to tell us good or bad we are.

15 Honey Bee { 12.14.13 at 1:37 pm }

Hi Sandii. Funny, I was just thinking of you. I went for a bike ride minus the padded bike pants. And you came to mind.

Did that come out weird sounding?

16 Sandii { 12.14.13 at 3:49 pm }

Honey bee that is funny. Weird but funny. I think it is always nice when someone thinks of you.

17 Calorie Loader { 12.14.13 at 4:07 pm }

Sounds good Mittens, I’ll start practicing 😛 Might skip the haggis but OK with the highland fling (I say not having yet seen it).

You’re right Sandii, there’s plenty of Australian talent. Either they’re not as interested in doing those shows or the producers don’t think they will draw in the viewers (but look at Kyle.S, or should I say Carl? he’s been welcomed (mainly) to aussie screens and he’s not even a muso).

18 Georgie { 12.14.13 at 4:37 pm }

Calorie Loader #9 – I’m not a Kyle fan, but agree with you, that he and Geri worked well together on AGT.

19 Honey Bee { 12.14.13 at 4:51 pm }

Just watching a movie called Alan Partridge with Steve Coogan.

Some of might like it. British whacky.

20 Is Mel B Going To Be A Judge On The Voice Kids? | reality ravings { 12.15.13 at 10:24 pm }

[…] it appears to make sense considering she has signed on to do the breakfast radio program on Today FM with Merrick Watts, Jules Lund, and Sophie Monk. However it won’t be too onerous […]