Survivor Blood V Water – And The Winner Is…

Unfortunately the finale was as predictable as a Love Boat episode which was a pity as it was a good season. Though it did show again that when you pit amateurs over returning players the returning players do tend to have an advantage.

The top four ended up being people who had played before, these were Gervase, Tyson, Monica and Tina.

Ciera was hoping her mother Laura M could make it back into the game from Redemption Island however the challenge was a balancing on one leg whilst trying to keep a vase from breaking. Tina won her way back into the game. Laura M begged her to throw the challenge but Tina refused.

Even back in the game Tina knew her time was short. For some strange reason Gervase and Tyson thought she would win a jury vote. She has been stuck mainly at Redemption Island and made no big moves so not sure why they thought she would be a favourite.

Tyson and Gervase realised that told Monica to vote Ciera out as they knew that she would be in with a real shot to beat them. Neither of the guys thought Monica was really in with a shot at the $1 million.

Ciera and Tina were trying to convince Monica to flip however after Tyson won the immunity challenge this was unlikely as Tyson also had an immunity idol that would become unusable after the tribal council. It was not hard to figure out that after Tyson said “I wanted to keep it as a souvenir” that he was going to give it to Gervase.

This meant Ciera was voted out as mum Laura wept on the jury.

Tyson won the next immunity challenge and there was no reason for Monica to take it to a two all vote when she was automatically going to to be into the final three so Tina was gone.

This season they bypassed the breakfast and the ceremonial walk where the three finalist pay homage to their fellow tribemates. The episode was better for its absence.

So it was quickly to final tribal council where Tyson, Monica and Gervase made their final pitch to the jury.

Gervase tried to talk himself up as a big player. He said he thought he played both old school and new school survivor and played it well. He also said “I have done the big blindsides” and mentioned Aras as the one he had instigated. Interestingly later when Caleb asked him what his biggest move was he said the Aras blindside and could not mention one other big move.

Monica was in with a small chance if she could keep it together and not look too paranoid. She said she knew the jury thought she had been dragged along like a puppy dog on a leash by Tyson and Gervase. Monica said in the last three tribal councils she had to make choices and she never wanted to do that as she has less blood on her hands and less broken promises.

Then there were all these bizarre questions from jury members like Laura M saying I want to see you vulnerable. She did sob and say for the past 21 years not one day had been about her. Hopefully her wedding day was about her. Interestingly no one asked to see either Tyson’s or Gervase’s vulnerable side. She was doing OK until she cracked and said “Don’t y’all know a nice person?”

Tyson did manage to turn on the waterworks to show his sensitive side. He sobbed by saying his strategy changed once he saw his girlfriend on Redemption Island and how she had sacrificed her game for his and that was what had made him determined to make it to the end. He admitted to the huge moves but he said it was without malice. Katie did call him out on that one saying when she had been eliminated that he pointed to the jury and said there is your seat over there.

Vytas told Tyson he was not going to vote for him as he had told him on the day he was voted out.

They all voted and then it was time for Jeff to take the votes to the live finale!

There was no surprise that Tyson easily won the vote. Monica received one vote from Vytas and Gervase none.

Tyson was emotional and hugged and kissed Rachel and then later made a weird comment about how he had wanted her to come on Survivor to “give her an experience so she  could connect with me better”. Also did anyone else think that Tyson looked like Jay from Silent Bob and Jay?

Brad Culpepper was surprisingly restrained when Monica was being asked questions by Jeff Probst. He did say that they always knew she was a bad ass in the house. They showed a photo of them together at University and he was not a hottie. Clearly he had to be bulked up for the football.

Colton who might have had to have his arm twisted to go to the reunion as Jeff said he had spoken to him a week ago was trying to explain his behaviour on Survivor. Colton psychoanalysed it as that he always wanted people to look after him like his mum or Caleb. So when the first time he was stuck on a tribe with only men and no women and then the following time without Caleb he found it difficult and he now realised he had to rely on himself.

Aras was wearing cardigans clearly getting ready for fatherhood and Vytas continued to look hot. Vytas did share the day they returned they had fought and had not spoken for two weeks.

One of the wackiest moments of the night was when Kat just started rambling. Was she drunk and also did she admit to getting a boob job on national TV in response to a question on how she and Hayden made their relationship work.

Jeff handled the situation of the death of Tina’s son sensitively and she spoke about the need for people to wear seat belts.

After that it was the big reveal that the next season which has also been filmed in the Phillipines was called Survivor Cagayan – Brawn Vs Brains Vs Beauty. There will be no returning players.

Were you happy with the winner?

Hopefully GO Channel will fast track the season as they did this series.

1 Khun Del { 12.17.13 at 1:45 am }

Happy that Tyson won.

I think Vytas and Hayden and possibly Ciera will get another go in the future.

I noticed there was no fan favorite this year. I think Hayden would have won it.

2 Techhater { 12.17.13 at 2:03 am }

I did say on another thread i would’ve liked to have seen Monica win people’s choice, but there wasn’t one.

Am really hapy Tyson won. And yes RR he did look like Jay with his hair straightened.

And lastly why wasn’t Marissa asked a question, the only one who wasn’t?

3 Chrissie { 12.17.13 at 2:24 am }

Unfortunately I missed the middle part of the series, so am a big perplexed as to why Tyson won. Was he the most strategical player? In all seriousness would like to know why he was such a popular winner both to the jury, and for viewers??

He just seems a bit cold to me for some reason…and had to laugh when he said in reply to Tina’s question that his one word to describe himself was fun-loving. We didn’t really see that, well in the first and end episodes I saw anyway.

Felt sorry for Monica that she was kept hassled to show her soul etc etc, but not the guys. Sorry, but just felt so sexist to me.

4 sandcrab { 12.17.13 at 9:05 am }

Good one Chrissi. I didn’t see the fun loving either.

He looked as fun loving as a rock. And not a pet rock.

Out of those I would pick Monica because she survived the boys club they had going. They didn’t seem to respect their women players and seemed to see themselves as mentally superior.

5 Andrea { 12.17.13 at 9:07 am }

I didn’t watch much of this one as I couldn’t get into it, not a fan of returning players and their family members.
The next one I will watch since all the players will be new, and hopefully not related to each other.
Makes it more interesting when every one is playing for him or her self.

6 jec { 12.17.13 at 9:09 am }

RR, they did show the Final 3 breakfast, it was only the ceremonial walk that was missing.
You write: “After that it was the big reveal that the next season which has also been filmed in the Phillipines was called Survivor Cagayan – Brawn Vs Brains Vs Beauty. There will be no returning players.” Is that definite that there will be no returning players? I can’t recall it being mentioned last night.
I am so looking forward to a series of all new players. As you pointed out, returning players do have an advantage, and I do not think it’s fair that some people *cough* Tyson *cough* can win on the 3rd attempt (even though out of the final 3 he was the one who deserved to win). Even he pointed out his “brain farts” in his previous seasons let him down, so he basically needed three attempts at it to win. I was imagining that Ozzy would be bought back for attempt number 57 as part of the “brawn” team. Haven’t the past few winners been repeat players? Going back to all new contestants will be refreshing and interesting. For every interesting returning player there are 10 newbies that deserve a go.

7 jec { 12.17.13 at 9:18 am }

I’ve found the answer to my own question about all new players next season, thanks to browsing the www instead of working :)
Jeff Probst confirmed it in an interview with Entertainment Weekly:
“EW: Congrats on another great season, sir. Now tease us up for Survivor: Cagayan!
PROBST: 3 tribes. All new people. No returning players. We’re continuing the social experiment we started 14 years ago by dividing the tribes based on brawn, brains and beauty. It’s pretty interesting how quickly those labels turn into badges of honor. As always, the audience will tell us if it was a good season — I’m optimistic!”
YAY – currently doing the happy dance at work!
PS After the first teaser for the BBB theme, my 14 year old son declared it would be “boobs, blondes & butts” … wishful thinking?

8 Techhater { 12.17.13 at 9:29 am }

Jec Thanks for the info.

I thought BBB was Bad Badder Baddest (with “yawn” more returnees)

9 Mittens { 12.17.13 at 11:38 am }

Glad it’s all new players too. I hope they don’t just recycle a few from AR or US BB either.

10 Ryan { 12.17.13 at 12:37 pm }

I wouldn’t exactly call the finale predictable except when it got down to three. Hell, even then I was surprised Monica at least got a vote. I thought they’d savage her, but despite all her (fake) tears and ridiculous ‘woe is me, I’m a poor woman married to a really rich football player’ crap, I don’t think they were hard enough on her. If she had’ve one, she’d be the least deserving winner since Jenna Marasca.

11 Jas { 12.17.13 at 12:49 pm }

Tyson was a worthy winner, seemed one step ahead most of the way, which I guess would come from experience. Can’t wait for 18 new players, can take or leave Redemption Island. But the best thing about this season was the distinct lack of religious zealotry.

12 q { 12.17.13 at 2:47 pm }

looking back, tyson is the most worthy winner of the 3, he’s pretty funny in the interviews

hope they don’t bring back redemption island for b vs b vs b (even though it worked well for blood vs water)

13 Reality Raver { 12.17.13 at 2:49 pm }

No Redemption Island I don’t think. I read that somewhere.

14 JStar { 12.17.13 at 4:01 pm }

Brain, Beauty, and Brawn. I reckon all 18 contestants would be pretty interchangeable with all categories. Hell, hasn’t anyone seen a Miss America pageant? “Miss Texas is finishing a mechanical engineering degree and is a black belt in karate and looks damn fine in a bikini and heels as she struts the stage.”

15 Sioux Denim { 12.17.13 at 6:09 pm }

Lack lustre finale after a pretty good season….still like Monica but I really believe they aint ever gonna give a million to somebody who is loaded already….
Look forward to newbies next season….yay!

16 Carrie { 12.18.13 at 8:39 am }

Enjoyed the Season, but not happy about Tyson winning. He struck me as being a bit of a cold fish. And it being his third attempt….please! It actually got a bit boring with the three person alliance etc. I really wanted Hayden to win, but at least he gave it his best shot….

17 Fiona { 12.18.13 at 10:52 am }

After Go fast-Tracking the last 2 season, they have to from now on, they have set the standard. Are you reading this Channel 7, maybe they should Fast-Track The Amazing Race. Survivor was trending in Australia on Monday night.

This was a great season, beside the finale, it was pretty obvious that Tyson had it in the bag. There was not much the editors could do to make the finale more interesting.

This season has had a few players that I would love to see return like Vytas, Ciera, Hayden and Caleb.