The Biggest Loser Margie Cummins Hospitalised For Liver Issues

Margie Cummins would have thought all her health issues were behind her after her amazing weight loss on The Biggest Loser but earlier this month she was hospitalised with liver and pancreas issues.

Daily Mail via the New Idea are reporting Margie had to be operated on because of gallstones which can be a by-product of losing weight too fast.

The article also says she suffered from the serious condition of pancreaitis aka inflammation of the pancreas.

The article states:

She [Margie] wrote onΒ FacebookΒ on January 6: ‘I was rushed back to hospital as my pain was so severe. I have an infected pancreas.

‘Fast weight loss was the cause and because I went forΒ

so long with it, it’s now done some damage to my pancreas.

‘My liver wasn’t functioning too well but that’s because of the [gall] stones’, she posted on January 6.

She also reported the operation was a success.

However it would appear Margie is none too happy with the New Idea story and tweeted:

Screen shot 2014-01-13 at 2.42.36 PM

Maybe Margie realise that with another season of The Biggest Loser about to start and the inevitable criticism of their weight loss methods that she did not want to giving critics material to bag out the show that has been life changing for her.

1 brain dead dave { 01.13.14 at 3:41 pm }

Two main causes of Pancreatitis. Gallstones and drinking too much alcohol. We know from TBL that Margie didn’t mind a beer.

We also know that TBL is not about healthy weight loss. It’s a cheeseball reality TV show that offers no back up support to contestants when the dealing’s done.

Margie was obviously well enough to take some filthy lucre from No Idea.

2 Dr T { 01.13.14 at 9:39 pm }

Yeah – but gallstones are common, and occur with any form of rapid weight loss, whether it is Biggest Loser, obesity surgery or crash dieting. It’s not a surprise.

Even if she had lost the weight slowly, she could have had gallstones anyway. The mantra for gallstones in surgical teaching is “fat, female and forty”.

This is a common health problem regardless of whether she lost weight. If you go out and ultrasound a whole bunch of people you find asymptomatic stones. She was just unlucky enough to have one pop into her bile duct and block off her pancreas.

Boring story… not news, not interesting

3 brain dead dave { 01.14.14 at 9:43 am }

There weren’t any No Ideas in the racks at the supermarket last night for me to peruse. I made a special trip there to get the goss for all of youse.

‘Fat, female and forty” ,hey Doc? Not sure how many of those boxes Margie ticks. But like Meatloaf said, “two out of three ain’t bad”

4 Mittens { 01.14.14 at 9:56 am }

5 brain dead dave { 01.14.14 at 10:01 am }

As opposed to how many boxes Margie’s tickled.

6 Joseph Skyrim { 01.14.14 at 11:24 am }

Seems to me like New Idea makes crap up all the time. Maybe that’s why they picked the title? πŸ˜›

As an aside, maybe we should all try lose some weight this year? I’m aiming for 1 kg a month. A mere 12 kg for the whole year might sound weak sauce but it should be more manageable to reach and maintain. That’s the theory anyway. πŸ˜€

7 all happening { 01.14.14 at 12:18 pm }

Small manageable goals are the way to go with anything like weight loss, other wise you start to feel down if you don’t make the large goals and then give up.
Worst bit is making the decision to have a go in the first place.
OK, I will think about it next week.

8 Littlepetal { 01.14.14 at 12:28 pm }

I will start after I have finished all the chocolates! O:-) O:-) O:-)

9 mittens { 01.14.14 at 12:53 pm }

OK Joseph. Lets go tandem. I want to lose 5.

10 Reality Raver { 01.14.14 at 11:26 pm }

Dr T – Thanks for the bad news after all these burgers in the US I tick all the boxes.

11 Calorie Loader { 01.15.14 at 2:53 am }

Sorry to pull the trident on ya Mittens, but count me in too. Put me down for an even 10. Maybe we could make it a donating event.

LOL LP and AH-your procrastination sounds all too familiar.

12 Littlepetal { 01.15.14 at 9:49 am }

Yes, CL. We always have chocolates in the house. Chocolates is part of the diet. πŸ˜†

13 Calorie Loader { 01.15.14 at 6:32 pm }

Mmm, chocolate. I would very much enjoy your diet, I think πŸ˜›

14 all happening { 01.15.14 at 6:53 pm }

So the choc diet is ok. Phew I was worried. πŸ˜•