My Kitchen Rules To Kick Off Monday 27 January

My Kitchen Rules will return for its fifth season on Monday, January 27 on Channel SEVEN.

Manu Feildel and Pete Evans return to host and judge the show as well as Colin Fassinidge, Liz Egan, Karen Martini and Guy Grossi.

This year one of the twists is the MKR Food Tuck, a massive red semi-trailer decked out with a commercial kitchen. Is it going to morph into the Great Food Truck Challenge?

This year the prize is again$250,000.

This year’s contenders are:

GROUP 1

New South Wales – Annie and Jason (Married cheesemakers)

Western Australia – Chloe and Kelly (Well-travelled friends)

South Australia – Deb and Rick (Married 38 years)

Australian Capital Territory – Andrew and Emelia (newly dating)

Queensland – Paul and Blair (Surfer dads)

Victoria – Helena and Vikki (Twins)

GROUP 2

New South Wales – Uel and Shannelle (Newlyweds)

Western Australia – Jess and Felix (Designer and miner)

South Australia – Bree and Jessica (Proud mums)

Tasmania – Thalia and Bianca (Besties)

Queensland – David and Corinne (Couple two years)

Victoria – Harry and Christo (Best mates)

MY KITCHEN RULES 2014 premieres Monday, January 27.

1 brain dead dave { 01.14.14 at 1:23 pm }

Why do I get the feeling that it’ll be more like the Muck Truck,gice?

2 mittens { 01.14.14 at 1:26 pm }

Yeah, me too. I wonder why.

3 Georgie { 01.14.14 at 1:34 pm }

“However long time viewers will know the show is not about the cooking but about the contestants.”

My memory of seasons 1 and 2 – they WERE all about the cooking. Season 3 started the decline into soap fiction and season 4 was just a load of melodramatic rubbish.

I’m hoping for an improvement this year, with a return to quality rtv. Fingers crossed. :-/

4 brain dead dave { 01.14.14 at 1:42 pm }

Those fat, grubby IVF scammers left a nasty taste in my mouth. All they cooked up was a story.

This show’s on probation as far as I’m concerned.

5 Georgie { 01.14.14 at 1:48 pm }

Lol bdd – “on probation” – I like that.

For me, MKR and MC have moved into ‘World Wrestling Entertainment Inc.’ territory.

6 all happening { 01.14.14 at 2:13 pm }

The poll on the left is a landslide win to MKR. Well 4 out of 4 votes.

7 mittens { 01.14.14 at 2:18 pm }

Yeah, but look at the options all happening.
And maybe we are just being hopeful.

8 Georgie { 01.14.14 at 2:27 pm }

And there isn’t a ‘None of the Above’ button hey!

9 brain dead dave { 01.14.14 at 2:32 pm }

Classic quote from Come Date With Me today.

The guy tells the gel to “put your hand down a bit more…on the shaft” (he’s giving her some golf instruction)

I’m still watching Come Date With Me and Great British Bake Off.

10 all happening { 01.14.14 at 2:36 pm }

Trouble is if it is none of above , what will we talk about?

11 Georgie { 01.14.14 at 2:44 pm }

Anything and everything like we do now ah!

12 Littlepetal { 01.14.14 at 2:57 pm }

I hope it is going to be about the cooking. I read somewhere there will be a highest score in history. Also there will be more instant restaurants. They already have 3 rounds last series. More again?

13 mittens { 01.14.14 at 3:10 pm }

I hope the highest score in history doesn’t turn out to be 10s for a slice of bread and butter.

14 Littlepetal { 01.14.14 at 3:17 pm }

10 for a perfectly sliced bread. 10 for butter spread beautifully on the slice of bread. No dripping.

15 brain dead dave { 01.14.14 at 3:31 pm }

10 for perfectly peeled potatoes.
10 for boiling water “to die for”
10 for washing dishes “to perfection”
10 for store bought curry paste
10 for “surprise”poached pears in Dr Pepper.
10 for sweating into main course.

16 mittens { 01.14.14 at 3:35 pm }

Don’t forget:
10 forback story
10 for crying
10 for on screen presence.

17 Littlepetal { 01.14.14 at 3:36 pm }

10 for smiling
10 for best table setting
10 for best wine
10 for being on time
10 for best crockery

Thus 100 points

18 brain dead dave { 01.14.14 at 3:38 pm }

10 for braces
10 for tattoos
10 for catching dead Barra
10 for fainting
10 for getting lost on way to Coles.

19 Littlepetal { 01.14.14 at 4:03 pm }

BDD- your favourite contestants Dan and Steph are ambassadors for Bodytrim since Aug 13.

Dan said he can lose 30kgs in 3 or 4 months. He still look the same to me. Didn’t do any good with Bodytrim.

20 Georgie { 01.14.14 at 4:11 pm }

… and … 10 very important points for remembering the sores gice!

21 Izobel2 { 01.14.14 at 5:00 pm }

Well the main thing I want changed about MKR, which I enjoy, is the stupid crappy stupid dumb scoring system (no, I’m not 15), where a couple can cook something quite delicious, and the other contestants score 1’s and 2’s – just because they CAN. It drives me insane.

The lowest scores should be removed, or it should be like in Four weddings, where they have a different points system where you can’t low ball so that you win.
If they can’t change the way that contestants can give a 1, then the voting should be hidden until the end of the week like Come Dine With Me.

And I’ll be watching 5 shows on the left hand Poll. That’s me, Mrs Reality.

22 brain dead dave { 01.14.14 at 5:21 pm }

Thanks Littlepetal. I might have guessed. Bodytrim is rubbish. That weasel on steroids who flogs it on TV is a disgrace.

Lots of unhappy customers here:

23 Armani { 01.14.14 at 6:31 pm }

I just watched the commercial on Channel 7 and noticed that there are no multicultural contestants. They are all white.

Disconcerting at best.

24 Littlepetal { 01.14.14 at 6:40 pm }

#23 You are wrong. The couple from NSW. Husband from Singapore, wife from Indonesia.
I think there is an Indian lady from ACT.

Ch7 can never. Too many or not enough multicultural contestants. This is a cooking show. Nothing to do with where they come from

25 Gabby { 01.14.14 at 9:26 pm }

Good comment Izobel2 @ 21. I agree wholeheartedly, something has to be done about that kind of voting. I hope they don’t allow it to happen again this year.

26 Izobel2 { 01.14.14 at 9:54 pm }

Thanks Gabby. Not many people mention it, but I think about it every episode and it does my head in.
My husband and I watch every episode of Masterchef, and he won’t sit through one episode of MKR because of the scoring. He probably would hate the bitchy comments ie Tatts & Braces too though!

PS did you watch CDWM Australia? Another fun ep. Great one liners from the contestants.

27 Gabby { 01.14.14 at 10:28 pm }

Yes Izobel did watch our show, another good one but not as good as last week. They are all so good seeing them relaxed and together. I think both ladies were surprised at coming where they did.