American Idol – It Was All About Harry

The name on everybodies lips last night after American Idol was Harry Connick Jr. He was the stand out judge. Not only was he witty, funny, intelligent and he also was not afraid to give some tough love to some of the more dodgier contestants.

If the other judges, Keith Urban and JLo were wondering why he was getting so much air time it was because he was worth it. One of his funnier monologues was when he was saying that all the contestants just looked at JLo and probably wondered who the hell he was.

He also told a 15 year old Morgan Deplitch she should not be singing lyrics to a song “Paris (Ooh La La)” by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals as it “creeped him out”. Keith and JLo thought the lines ” If I was a man I’d make my move (Oooh. Oooh)
If I was a blade I’d shave you smooth.” were fine for a 15 year old to sing. In fact the song sounded far better when cheerleader complete with cheerleading uniform sang it. By the way she was probably told to wear the outfit by the producers. Harry was again funny when he told her no but she got through anyway and three of her cheerleading friends bounced into the room. He exclaimed “I just turned down four cheerleaders, if I had known there were three others out there…”.

He also told a contestant  “You are growing up in a time of pitch-correcting software, and you could really use it.”

Anyone who ever saw his mentor turn on Australian Idol many years ago would know he was going to be good. In fact what took them so long to get him on a US reality talent show?

It was a two hour episode to kick off the new season with auditions in Boston and Austin. It was a very enjoyable start to the new season. There appeared to be few sob stories and when they were they were relevant. I note Kaitlyn Jackson’s who at only 15 years of age wrote an amazing song about her grandfather. She seems a sure thing for the live shows as Harry said it will be interesting to see her each week.

There were also few joke contestants with Sam Atherton whose ego was five times that of his talent. He sang an original called “Love Does Not Last Forever” which JLo acknowledged that was true. It was abysmal and he went off in a huff.

What did you think of the new season of Idol? Which of the contestants did you think were the stand outs?

1 Veronicali { 01.17.14 at 9:43 am }

Harry’s probably better known in Aus than the US, actually I didn’t recognise him at first.
Can’t remember too many of the contestants, I was busy melting.
Keith can call me ‘baby’ anytime.

2 Jason { 01.17.14 at 9:56 am }

I was surprised that so many contestants didn’t know who Harry Connick Jr was – or maybe I’m just too old!

3 brain dead dave { 01.17.14 at 10:05 am }

Harry can actually sing, play an instrument well , lead a big band and act.

From one perspective , it’s no surprise at all that the contestants hadn’t heard of him. Perhaps if he were a beige ,hystrionic, over- emoter with a sex tape out , they’d be citing him as an “inspiration”

The age of pitch correction software has been with us en masse since The Spice Girls. Ever wonder why Geri and Mel B went belly up on two of their more recent live performances?

4 Mia { 01.17.14 at 10:44 am }

I really enjoyed the season opener. Harry, J Lo and Keith have good chemistry. Harry’s a great edition to the panel. Love his humour and his honesty. Also love that he’s no fan of those that rely on OTT vocal gymnastics. I also find him to be great eye candy. :)
They seem to have cut back on the sob stories too, which is a definite thumbs up from me. Having said that, I did like the 15 year old girl that performed the song she wrote about her dead grandpa. Also liked a couple of the ‘white guys with guitars’ they put through, and the slightly kooky air guitar guy that sang ‘Superstition’.

5 I went there { 01.17.14 at 11:44 am }

I hope no-one goes into the audition with black face (Hey Hey It’s Saturday reference with Harry)

6 Andrea { 01.17.14 at 1:28 pm }

I was thinking that too I Went There, I remember that well, Harry was definitely not amused.

7 Calorie Loader { 01.17.14 at 11:16 pm }

Really enjoyed last nights opener-I liked the combination of judges and some of the talent they uncovered. My favourites were:
-guy who sang Superstitious
-guy who had waited 8yrs to come on the show cause he didn’t think he was creative enough and then blew everyone out of the water with an original
-the guy from Pakistan that Harry had to cradle-funniest moment of the show, still laughing 😆
-the guy who’s falsetto was incredible

It’s impressive this show still has steam after what I think may be 13 seasons.

8 Kess { 01.18.14 at 8:03 pm }

Harry is a dream come true – he gave JLo music lessons – and I just wanted to kiss him all over.
He may singlehandedly, with a bit of help from Keith, drag this thing into a whole new stratosphere – real music, from real musicians!
Interesting start.
Australia has always loved Harry, he’s real.

9 daisy { 02.07.14 at 5:47 pm }

I haven’t watched much AI for a few years but I am watching every bit of this one. I din’t like HCJ bagging us in the US over the Jackson Five skit, but he’s doing a good job as an Idol judge and he’s a good balance for Keith and Jlo who both seem really nice and normal. Keith isn’t even sitting with his leg up trying to be cool like he does here. I was shocked at what Jlo’s mum said to her when she rang her crying. But then maybe that’s why she seems so down to earth. I can’t believe I actually like these judges. I hardly ever like the judges on talent shows because they like to act uber cool.
Noted good singers: Majesty, Spencer, Kenzie, Alex, Tequilla, Malcom, Ethan, Caleb and Jena. Names to faces. Liked Duck killer and the pretty blond girl who played guitar and sang slow then fast.
Looking fd to next ep.

10 daisy { 02.07.14 at 5:53 pm }

Oh I really like ALi Jane Henderson…guitar, long straight auburn hair.

11 daisy { 02.07.14 at 8:31 pm }

Can anyone tell me if Idol is on tonight and if so what time?

12 daisy { 02.14.14 at 12:28 am }

Damn, some good singers on Idol.

13 daisy { 02.15.14 at 12:08 am }

Tweazy. Out of Ben and Nico, I vote Ben. Heads and shoulders above.

14 daisy { 02.22.14 at 12:02 pm }

Does anyone else think a couple of bland singers got through in order to meet a demographic and genre cross-section? IMO many much better singers/performers got passed over.

15 daisy { 03.22.14 at 10:29 am }

I love Alex. That’s something I would buy and listen to. I like Caleb and I liked Ben Briley but I would buy Alex.
He reminds me of Martin Sexton, who has a great song called diner. Two versions; the non acoustic is the better.

16 Sue { 03.22.14 at 12:05 pm }

Oh CJ, why were you saved?
A chainsaw could have sung that song better than you.

This years finalists are very weak in comparison to other years.
Jena, Alex, Caleb & possibly Malaya are the stand outs.
I would like to support Jessica but she is one dimensional like Harry said.
Sam could sing the phone book and the 13-15 year old girls would still scream and vote.

I was sad to see MK go but, tbh, she was never going to win.

17 daisy { 03.22.14 at 1:06 pm }

Yeah Sue, I thought CJ has been dull. He has no charisma. And MK was struggling to give any personality too. I don’t mean rah de dah, razzle dazzle but something that makes them likeable.

I don’t like Jess or the other country guy because I don’t like boring, so done country twang. Also Jess always seems a little sour.

I don’t mind Jena. She reminds me a bit of Barbs S.

Caleb didn’t bring it this week. I liked Majesty, Aex, Sam and Malaya. But I agree; for a top twelve…myeh.

18 daisy { 05.17.14 at 1:04 am }

Love Caleb. I loved him singing Creedance Clearwater.

19 daisy { 05.24.14 at 10:16 pm }

A good choice for the win. I would have picked Alex for 2nd.