Guest Post: The Biggest Loser – Episode 2 – The Special 14 Are Selected

Brain Dead Dave has come to the rescue again on The Biggest Loser recap. A big thanks:

Episode 2 of The Biggest Loser opens with some stunning sunrise/sunset footage of the Grampians. It could have been photoshopped ,Googled though having been there, it’s a spectacular area.

Summer Day Valley sounds nice. The 14 Losers ~ now known as “champions”~ are being herded there by Commando and Shannan for the first boot camp challenge. It’s a fifty metre cliff jump on a flying fox, made by an international design company of such amazing awesomeness that nothing could possibly go wrong here,the trainers assure us.

Supermarket Cam is the first to volunteer,after revealing he’s been scared of heights since falling two and half storeys “just mucking around,mate” some time ago. He probably doesn’t want the family,town and national audience what skylarking he got up to. He controls the supply of doughnuts ,buns, potato chips and soft drinks in Ararat,so he’s got a big reputation to uphold.He’s “doing it for the kids,mate” is his mantra.

Mary’s next.Her hobbies are knitting,crocheting and scrapbooking.Real handy for a fifty metre cliff jump.

The mega awesome company who designed the flying fox I think made some miscalculation in allowing for Mary’s 181.5 kgs because and there’s no way to sugar coat this ~ her arse slammed into the edge of the cliff face on her take off and just like the Titanic collision with an iceberg,something had to give and a huge piece of lycra was torn from Mary’s leggings.

The valley echoes to Mary’s cries of triumph and howls of embarrassment.$hine have spared the close ups and pixellation. It’s gold for them.Shannan is laughing at proceedings. How quickly Summer Day Valley became Bummer Day Valley. In the twinkling of an eye, a flying fox becomes a flying ****`up.

Off to the Town Hall for Family and Friends. The place is packed , which speaks volumes for the resilience and tolerance of Ararat’s citizens, considering they were sledged,judged and pigeon holed at the previous Biggest Loser function as a town of lazy,take-away loving drunks.

The champions are paranoid about getting weighed,for fear of spouse,family “the town”etc finding out. They’re given stripped down grey appareil to expose as much as possible and the inspirating “Chariots of Fire” style music is rolled out.Shannan gives a lecture on the value of courage while Commando hisses through gritted teeth that the champions “can no longer hide from the truth”

Read’em and weep ,gice.Sob story time.

Katrina 45 ~ 131.1 kg

Cal~ 131.6

Caitlin 17 ~ 134.4 kg

Matt~ 122.8 kg

Natalie~ 117.6kg

Shazza ~ 109.3 kg

Shannon~ 97.2 kg

Toni~ 124.2 kg

Kerry (Toni’s husband) ~141.6 kg

Jane~ 121.7kg

Rodger ~125.6kg

Supermarket Cam 32~ 146kg

Craig 34 ~ 183.4 kg

Mary 48 ~ 181.5kg

Kids, broken engagements, family illnesses,not enough”me” time. We’ve seen and heard it all before.

Sensitive,caring Shannan calls the more mature females “hon”.I’d end up with a knee in the balls if I tried that around here.

Commando breaks the news that Mary is the heaviest female competitor in Biggest Loser history. $hine don’t hold back with the “Jaws music”here.

Mary’s speech is what it is and she gets a standing ovation. It’s hard not to like her. There’s something about Mary. She’ll be a big hit….but I fear she’ll be injured.

As a viewer , the heartstrings get an awful workout on family and friends night. Last year’s cystic fibrosis story had tears rolling down my cheeks. It does tend to hook one into the show and $hine mean every second of what they show toward that end. At such times ,my brainstrings are often pulled to the countless thousands of children in this country who through no fault of their own, don’t get enough to eat.

Opera House. Double Elimination. Hayley’s got more torture in store.

“You’re not here to see the sights” barks Commando.

The teasers are screaming Massive Challenges, Massive Blow Ups (with steam coming out of Shannan’s ears) and we’re all dying to know where Michelle Bridges is with her “Massive Secret”

The Biggest Loser~ 6.30pm Sunday on Ten.It’ll be massive.

1 Techhater { 01.23.14 at 7:13 am }

BDD It’s worth getting up early to read your recap. Way better to start the day off with a giggle than to go to bed and have nightmares.

Well done.

2 Jazza { 01.23.14 at 11:16 am }

this review had me laughing, well done!

3 all happening { 01.23.14 at 11:49 am }

Great recap again BDD. Still haven’t watched the show but would rather read your recap.
Welcome back RR and hope move goes well.

4 mittens { 01.23.14 at 12:24 pm }

Still haven’t watched the show but the recaps are better than Danny Katz. Gift of the gab BDD.

5 annajjj { 01.23.14 at 12:33 pm }

Loved this! There’s something about Mary alright.

Shame that there are eliminations already though.

6 Carol (without the e) { 01.23.14 at 12:35 pm }

Does anyone else compare themselves to the contestants at weigh in time?

I’m closest to Natalie in weight… but when I said that on the night my husband (Bruce) said “well where are you hiding it because you aren’t as big as her”

Or do you look at them BEFORE they weigh in thinking “yes… that’s what I think I look like” only to find out they weigh 30kg more than you!

Body image is such a complex thing!

7 Gabby { 01.23.14 at 12:52 pm }

Yep Carol with the, get what you’re talking about. Your husband sounds like a nice guy. Sometimes they know just the right things to say at exactly the right times, God love ’em.

8 mittens { 01.23.14 at 1:01 pm }

Carol without, I told you you look tall and slim, like the hot chick who sings “It’s all about the money, kerching, kerching”.
That’s the real Carol without.

9 Anonymous { 01.23.14 at 1:12 pm }

Michelle Bridges’ big secret? She’s carrying Commando’s two-headed love child.

10 mittens { 01.23.14 at 1:15 pm }

Ooop Carol without. There is a response to your question on the US Bach controversy thread.

11 brain dead dave { 01.23.14 at 2:00 pm }

Thanks for reading and the kind comments and to RR for letting me do it.

Shannan was a guest at half time on the cricket last night, still marvelling that “we’re takin’ on an entoire town!” and defending the show’s authenticity. Nine seasons.

Previous night at the cricket ,Jowl$y was a guest blowing sunshine about the “great cooking” well see on Ma$terchef this year.Obviously he’s had a great Xmas and hasn’t called Jenny yet.

12 michelle26 { 01.23.14 at 2:26 pm }

BDD – brilliant, once again. Loved reading your post.

I too hope Mary is able to do well and go far. It would be great to see her succeed and go all the way. Fingers crossed her body can hold up.
Supermarket Cam – it’s the donuts, cakes, chips etc messing with your mind. Knuckle down – change is hard.

13 michelle26 { 01.23.14 at 2:33 pm }

Maybe Jowl$y joins TBL next season. That would be fantastic viewing seeing him get flogged.

14 Fiona { 01.23.14 at 2:36 pm }

@Carol (without the e)

I don’t compare myself to the contestants at the start of the show, but at the finale if someone get close to my weight and I think they still look a bit big then I do get a little depressed. Thinking that I must not be a slim as I think I am.
I think the shape of a persons body has a big part to play in it. I have a long torso, but the length of my legs (short) are not in proportion to my height, torso or arms. You are right body image is really a complicated thing, we are all different SHAPES and sizes and those stick thin models are very rare in nature. I think of it like those skinny bitches are the freaks and the rest of us are the norm.

Yes BBD I have said it previously that Mary is casting gold! I do not want to watch her in the episodes to come to see her giving up at training and complaining.

15 brain dead dave { 01.23.14 at 2:47 pm }

The most disturbing body shape on the show belongs to…. Michelle Bridges. She looks like a freak. No wonder she’s in hiding.

16 Sandii { 01.23.14 at 2:49 pm }

Anonymous…. two headed baby … guffaw… gold!

17 Andrea { 01.23.14 at 3:09 pm }

I really like Mary and I hope she doesn’t get eliminated too early, or has any injuries which will make her a liability for her team.
I’d like to see them all stay and the winner is whoever has lost the most weight at the end.
Shannon ( the girl ) doesn’t seem to need as much help as the others as she’s not all that overweight.

18 Hi { 01.23.14 at 4:01 pm }

I liked Mary, can’t handle the amount of ‘sweeties’ and ‘darl’ from shannAn.

I lol’d when he said something about the supermarket guy being a role model. oh yes, we all look up to ppl who work at supermarkets

19 brain dead dave { 01.23.14 at 4:09 pm }

Especially supermarkets who own 5% of the poker machines operating in Australia.

20 Georgie { 01.23.14 at 4:25 pm }

I’m not overweight – I’m underheight! πŸ˜†

21 Littlepetal { 01.23.14 at 4:26 pm }

BDD-Did you watch the tour Down Under. How good is Cadel Evans.

22 Techhater { 01.23.14 at 4:46 pm }

LP He’s doing great isn’t he.

OK MISS OFF TOPIC here again.

I just had to post this. Apparently Bruce Jenner (Keeping up with the Kardashians) is rumored to be going for a sex change. Just saw it on ch9 news. RR maybe you might find out some more info.

23 brain dead dave { 01.23.14 at 5:11 pm }

Littlepetal, today’s Tour Down Under stage started just down the street from me. Streets blocked off and big crowds. Nice day with a sea breeze coming in. I wanted to see Cadel Evans but glad he had a big day from the sound of it.

I’ll make a point of watching the Tour Down Under highlights tonight,as I’ve been doing so far…after the T20’s.

24 Ali { 01.23.14 at 7:30 pm }

Saw the preview of this Sunday’s BL in a dramatic cut where some guy says he’s going to tell them when they’re going to die.

I thought that was a bit morbid. Next task, they’ll have them digging their own graves and Shannan will holler at them that if they weren’t so fat they wouldn’t have to dig such a big hole.

(Producers: feel free to use this idea).

25 woolif { 01.23.14 at 9:53 pm }

NEWS FLASH
Breaking news on channel 10
Biggest Loser contestant loses 5mg.
I hate the way TV stations inject their own reality TV programs into their news and current affairs broadcasts, when they are in reality advertising themselves and presenting it as news….which it is NOT.
You will never see a competitors reality program on the news or current affairs unless it is portrayed in a negative light.
I only watch ABC and SBS news (when possible) in order to avoid this pseudo news and self promotion.

26 Techhater { 01.23.14 at 10:02 pm }

Woolif Thanks for the update. I wouldn’t have slept tonight without it……….

I knew there was a reason i didn’t need to watch it. πŸ˜›

27 Anonymous { 01.23.14 at 10:27 pm }

Lol Ali, anything for ratings.

28 mittens { 01.23.14 at 10:33 pm }

Ha ha h a ha Ali.

There’s some sweet irony in there.

29 Techhater { 01.23.14 at 10:38 pm }

Ali Make sure you make a note of your post so if producers do use your idea you get the appropriate royalty cheques.

30 Anonymous { 01.23.14 at 10:41 pm }

Maybe carry their own caskets up a mountain?

31 Techhater { 01.23.14 at 10:49 pm }

Anon A bit like Jesus carrying His own cross. I’m wondering what their last supper was. Maybe all that lard dumped was a part of it.

32 Anonymous { 01.23.14 at 11:43 pm }

Lol. Well I guess you don’t have to worry about counting calories anymore. In the US, two thirds of death row inmates request fried foods, mostly fries as their last meal.

33 brain dead dave { 01.25.14 at 11:39 am }

Shannan has been in Adelaide,running in the annual City to Bay.

He’s also promoting a public workout he’ll be conducting here in two weeks. “We had 250 people in Sydney,so we need to beat that ” Two hundred and fifty out of 4.576 million (2010). Geez, that’s awesome mate! What an inspiring achievement. Blue For Life!

We need not wonder too much where Michelle Bridges is hiding because Shannon is quoted as saying her and Commando are unavailable and “off doing their own thing”….”when two of your mates hook up,it’s always a bit weird-I’m like the third wheel.I give myself $15 and go to the movies.

Not as weird as calling your son Maximus, Shannan. How many times has he seen Gladiator,then.?

34 Reality Raver { 01.25.14 at 12:39 pm }

Techhater – Well the original article about Bruce Jenner is in a “quality” publication aka the National Enquirer. Having said that considering his love of plastic surgery he could be taking it to the next level. Apparently he went in for laryngeal shaving to decrease the size of his adams apple.

By the way guys thanks for your well wishes regarding me moving house. I am not I am just moving hotels to one where my partner’s conference is and hopefully the wifi will work better there. I am currently in cheap accommodation and you get what you pay for with the internet dropping out constantly. Having said that it appears to be working tonight.

35 Techhater { 01.25.14 at 1:43 pm }

RR Ch9 national news had a report about it and there was some really wierd footage of his “boobs” through flimsy tshirts. I did check out National Enquirer as well Celeb magazine and a few others. It certainly does have the tabloids scratching their heads, especially when his reason for the surgery was that he was unhappy with the shape of his adam’s apple. Go figure!

36 Techhater { 01.25.14 at 1:55 pm }

Apologies, not Celeb but Hollywoodlife and The Hollywood Gossip. Got my mags confused.

Anyhoo it,s a fascinating topic. πŸ˜›

37 mittens { 01.25.14 at 2:35 pm }

Yeah I was wondering that RR. I thought you would still be in the US.

And get out of that cheap accommodation. Go spoil yourself.

38 Reality Raver { 01.25.14 at 2:39 pm }

Techhater – The latest gossip on him is that he could be doing Dancing With The Stars and I presume he would be dancing with a woman. As I said the sex change rumour is not out sound the ball park. He has had plastic surgery which suggests he is unhappy with his appearance.

39 Techhater { 01.25.14 at 5:07 pm }

RR Cheers.

40 Andrea { 01.25.14 at 7:03 pm }

RR, I thought that was what you meant about moving to a different place, good luck with the internet.