The Block – NSW V QLD Challenge – Design A New York Loft

Another season of The Block and we have more of Scott Cam’s bad jokes, excessive product placement and some good music to enhance the episode plot line.

As expected  two of the favourite teams are automatically in The Block and the Fans will have to battle it out to get a permanent place on the show.

It was NSW V QLD competing in the first challenge. They had 24 hours to turn a small space in to a room that showed a New York loft style in 24 hours. Jesse and Kenny the miners from Queensland were fast out of the blocks and after a quick shop. In fact Kenny was a machine getting the walls up. They decided on designing a lounge room.

Kyle and Kara from the Central Coast were perpetuating the California Dreamin’ aka stoned surfer stereotype as they mooched around the shops even after Scott Cam told them they should allow time for their gyprocking to dry. Always a clue that this would be a problem on the show.

Ironically it was Jesse and Kenny that had this problem as a fast start came to a shuddering halt when a tradie did not turn up. After they hastily found another one he turned up over three hours late. Here’s a tip to Melbournites if you are looking for a gyprocker in Melbourne Igor is not the man to call.

Kyle finally got into the zone and decided to leave the wall with street art on it in their bedroom/lounge space.

It was a masterstroke as judge Neal Whittaker said “Nothing says New York like street art”. The judges declared their room to be the best they had ever seen in an elimination challenge and Kara and Kyle won their way into the competition. No small feat considering there was no furniture in the room 30 minutes before deadline. It was a good room as it had a bed, lounge and a table in it compared to the lounge room of the Qld team. With their laid back attitude, Kyle’s carpentry skills and a good design eye they will be competitive.

Kenny may not have made it on the show but he won quip of the episode when he replied to Jesse’s question asking what she should do and he said “Something productive!”.

What did you think of the teams on The Block? Will you continue watching it?

1 Fiona { 01.28.14 at 9:18 am }

Here is some block wisdom:
If you wish to be a contestant on the show make sure you are white young and good looking.
I really liked the miners, so it seems fitting that the couple that I do not like make it past elimination. Already I can not stand one team on the block looks like business as usual for the casting department at Channel Nine.
Tonight’s episode should be a good one…. let the meltdowns begin!

2 Maz { 01.28.14 at 9:42 am }

There was something ‘clonish’ about the couples. The blonde really annoyed me.

When I was googling the Block an interior design blog was putting the call out for 18-25 years to apply.

They have played the casting way too safe this year.

As for the graffiti art it was a bit too obvious they were suppose to use it otherwise it would have have been a white wall.

As for the flower run (at the behest of the producers no doubt)…you have a smartphone…use it.

3 BBM { 01.28.14 at 11:07 am }

Although I still don’t know why only white Australians can block renovate, both couples did a great job and the surfers deserved their win. Just the fact they had 3 zones would have won it for them. A loft apartment is very much a large room with a loft, so a huge bedroom was a waste of space.

I think the twins will win, they have the edge in design over brad & ? and their previous experience will give them the edge over the fan couples.

4 Erin { 01.28.14 at 11:19 am }

As soon as i heard manhatten loft and saw the graffiti wall, I said to my mum, that they should take the framing down and use the graffiti.
I liked either of the rooms, but probably would have preferred to watch the miners for the next 3 months, rather than the surfers!

I’ve seen a few magazine articles on all the couples the past few days and now based on the surfers getting thru last night, i think i’ve worked out who goes thru tonight.

5 Bazzy { 01.28.14 at 12:09 pm }

I now tape it and only watch the last 10 minutes to see the rooms – that way I save myself 50 minutes of commercials, Scott Cam, that annoying woman host, stupid challenges, product placement, whining, crying, bad dancing, complaining, talking directly to the camera in the car and general over “acting” by the contestants.

6 Kess { 01.28.14 at 2:22 pm }

It is repeated every night at 6, so of course I watched MKR

7 Ali { 01.28.14 at 7:50 pm }

RR, so you’re sayin’

Don’t come a knockin’ when Igor’s gyprockin’

8 Zhee { 01.29.14 at 12:24 am }

I liked both rooms, think it was a great effort for an elimination challenge. But I think I will only watch the room reveal shows as I get bored easily by all the unnecessary challenge stuff and the constant talking of the contestants.
Really look forward how the twins will do this year. Liked their rooms a lot last year. And I hope there no annoying Trixie-like lady this year….

9 Eliza { 01.29.14 at 12:36 am }

Watching the first episode I could tell straight away who they were going to put through based on how ‘The Block’ they looked. In the end they did have the better room though.

Tonight’s rooms were… disappointing! Both didn’t have much flair. The winning couple’s space was saved by the graffiti artwork which was already there (they were just smart enough to go “hey, lets use this”), other than that I didn’t see the furnishing choices as being NY loft apartment. I would have much preferred the miners to have gone through as at least they presented a space that looked finished.

I keep telling myself that I won’t watch every night as the filler does get tiring, but most likely will. I do like Brad and Dale but am hoping that the twins are less in your face than last season. Agree that the twins definitely have the design/styling upper hand over the boys in particular. They would be strong favourites to win again.

10 Reality Raver { 01.29.14 at 1:09 am }