The Block – Kara And Chantelle Have The Shortest Alliance Ever

I would have put money on the first scrag fight would have been between the twins and Chantelle but in fact it was Kara and Chantelle who were rubbing each other the wrong way. It was all a bit awkward since they were on the same team in a challenge and had forged an alliance, possibly the shortest one in the history of The Block.

The challenge was a crucial one, as the winners got first pick of the apartments to renovate on The Block as well as an extra $10,000 in the kitty.

It was the fan teams versus favourites and they had to design a room that was most like the look, feel and style of a $300,000 room Neale Whittaker and Darren Palmer had styled.

After the fans got over the shock of seeing returning contestants Brad and Dale, they got on with the task with Kara and Chantelle going out to shop.

Alisa and Lysandra and were even more amusing when they realised all the teams were not returning players. Kara would not be thrilled to be mistaken for Tania. Also they thought the Victorian couple were actors due to Chantelle telling them of her multiple jobs and businesses.The twins split up with one going with Dale and the other with Brad and Brad was slightly stunned at how the sisters talked to each other.

After the fans realised they were at a disadvantage playing against returning players Kara and Chantelle decided they needed an alliance however it looks like this was not going to last 24 hours. Tensions started once they hit the shops. Chantelle who is rather manic was making most of the purchases, whilst Kara just stood there saying nothing until she got back to the block and then she bitched about it to husband Kyle.

OK she was right the brown second hand couch was disgusting and buying stuff that looked like it was out of a Salvation Army store is not going to get them the win. Kara then decided she would go out and spend some money the next day. She and Kyle decided they needed to spend $15,000 not $7,000 as they no ugly no matter how cheap they won’t win.

The next drama was Kara being unhappy that she was not going to be able to buy both the couch and the cushions as it did not fit into Chantelle’s game plan which she had stayed up until three in the morning producing.

However Kara was being very passive aggressive  and dismissive towards Chantelle. When she was showing her the cushions she barely looked at her and at the end of the challenge when they were deciding on placement of furniture she said “I told you where I think it should go, but you decide”.

She also said to camera that she felt worried for them heading onto the block as they don’t have the same style as her. Steve and Chantelle were also sniping saying that ego had a lot to do in the last ten minutes of the challenge,

The favourites were cruising. Dale and one of the twins headed straight to design knock off shop Matt Blatt to shop and they did not turn up at the room until the next morning.

After being relaxed and comfortable their pressure points started occurring when their brick wallpaper did not turn up until an hour and a half before deadline. Which meant it was hastily installed and had bubbles in it. The wall papers guy were hilarious when they said “We’re on camera so don’t say anything stupid”.

Of course it was a Block cliffhanger with the viewer having to wait until Sunday to see what the judges thought of the rooms and find out who is the winner.

The Block – Fan V Favourites on Sunday at 6.30pm on NINE.

1 brain dead dave { 01.31.14 at 9:49 am }

Kara wasn’t cast for her renovating skills. Bring on the denim shorts.

2 all happening { 01.31.14 at 11:25 am }

Brad and Dale are hysterical together and producers can milk it. Great casting.
Chantelle seems out of her depth. Time will tell but good episode last night.

3 2nd hand { 01.31.14 at 11:37 am }

Let me see, we can do a renovating show where a contestant has absolutely no idea of style or taste whatsoever, or we could do a cooking show where a contestant does not have a clue how to cook. I know – let’s do both!!!!
I think Chantelle was deadly serious when she thought the Winne the Pooh cushions were a good idea. And the vases from the Op shop. And the couch. And the …………Oh dear.

4 all happening { 01.31.14 at 12:05 pm }

Perhaps Chantelle can do MKR next time and cook something in cola, 2nd hand. Oh that is no good already been done.

5 Maz { 01.31.14 at 12:28 pm }

OMG…the “fans” are out of their depth and I question whether they are huge fans of the show as they should know cheap licensed products are not the way to go.

As for the Del Kathryn Barton print-did I miss something as when Gaz and Waz ( I think) went to print frangipanis on canvas they had to destroy it as it breached copyright. Did they do some deal to print DKB work on canvas? Chantelle’s spiel to the camera about Australian Art just revealed what a bogan she is.

Not a fan of skater-girl. She reminds me of people who are just perfectly horrid to work with but play nicely nicely (re: hugging after the challenge) when conscious of how their behaviour looks to outsiders.

Agree that Brad and Dale are there for the comic relief.

I am assuming the twins will win as the producers don’t want to be in the position where the best designed apartment is not the “penthouse” again.

6 drb123 { 01.31.14 at 1:00 pm }

I’d like the twins to wear coloured shirts with letters on them like Terrence and Philip in South Park so I can tell which twin is bitching about the other

7 Maz { 01.31.14 at 1:14 pm }

Drb123-lol. Lysandra seems to have a broader chin than Alissa.

8 Louie { 01.31.14 at 1:15 pm }

I loved how Chantelle and Kara were all buddy buddy and promising that they won’t be nasty to each other. Got to love that first 5 minutes of optimism till they realise that it is a competition.

9 Gabby { 01.31.14 at 5:30 pm }

Really enjoyed the show and it has me looking forward to more.
The twins didn’t disappoint and will provide good viewing, annoying everyone.
Kara and Chantelle are set to do battle with their men stuck in the middle, more than likely.
TH, your friend Kara seems a lovely girl with good taste, dare I say, so far!

10 all happening { 01.31.14 at 5:54 pm }

I agree Gabby, really enjoyable show so far. I don’t like the twins but could cause some drama. Dale and Brad are brilliant. Dale is so dry.

11 Gabby { 01.31.14 at 10:39 pm }

All happening, love the guys, Dale and Brad. First time I have seen them. They are going to be classic viewing, bring a bit of light heartedness to the building site. This is only the second series of The Block I have watched. Can’t believe I haven’t tuned in before.

12 Reality Raver { 02.01.14 at 5:34 am }

drb123 – agree I can’t tell them apart.

2nd hand – OMG I fogot about the Winnie The Pooh cushions. They have to realise the judges don’t like quirky unless it is designer quirky.

13 Gabby { 02.01.14 at 9:50 am }

I’m going for the Faves to win.
What was it with that bright yellow cushion, I thought Chantelle bought it as a joke to wind Kara up. She wasn’t serious, was she?

14 Eliza { 02.01.14 at 10:25 am }

I rather enjoyed this episode, too. I never thought I’d say, or even think this, but I don’t mind the twins being back in that I think they have talent for design. At least there will be some good rooms. I love when they show the snipets of finished rooms and I try guess whose room is whose.

Love, love Brad and Dale together although will they be at a disadvantage style wise like the besties Mark and Duncan…

The Kara vs Chantelle tension was awkward indeed! Phwoah.. They certainly don’t see eye to eye. I was hoping that Chantelle was joking re the coushion but maybe not?! Why would it work in the room?! She was a bit all over the place (by bit I mean a lot) while shopping and I probably wound have found her frustrating too as I would want to get to the point as quick as possible. She does strike me too as one of those overly ‘nice’ people. I always say if someone’s too nice you can’t trust them!!!

Looking forward to the reveals on Sunday. It was an interesting comment by the twins in the teaser saying they’ll be the only team without city views again.. We’ll see how that plays out!

Also, I forgot how well everyone did on the Brad and Dale season.. They got huge profits! Oh, and yes, you can tell the twins apart easily by their faces, Lysandra has a much broader face and is a little more solid (although still very petite) and Alissa has a narrower jaw line and is a bit taller looking.

15 jec { 02.01.14 at 1:40 pm }

The twins have different colour hair this season. If I recall it correctly, Lysandra has the darker hair and Alissa has the lighter hair … but check on that when you see a name come up or someone address them by name, to be sure! My 8-year-old said I’ve got this right :)

16 Zhee { 02.02.14 at 4:55 am }

Even with the different hair colours, I can’t tell them apart. But I am still excited to see more of their room design. Last season they usually hit my sense of style and I loved their rooms. And even if they are sometimes annoying, they were really entertaining and I didn’t mind them (unlike Trixie and Maddy). I guess they let the faves lose on the first challenge so the fans get the first choice of apartments. More drama for the twins dan Brad and Dale. But they will rise like a phoenix from the ashes or something like that (perhaps indicating a twin double win?).

Chantelle annoys me, to be honest. She’s so hypermotivated and I feel like she just buys stuff for the sake of having bought stuff. Kara is no better, she just plays the victim much better. 😉

Btw, is it possible to get Dale and Brad fix our roof here? Best thing this year so far: In winter time the roof starts leaking and the rain pours into our living room. Fun times.

17 Gabby { 02.02.14 at 10:03 am }

I am unable to tell twins apart. Are they meant to be identical?
They are annoying and they can play dirty but they are good viewing.
I love watching the sister thing.
Chantelle and her dancing is going to annoy the sh#%e out of me.
I noticed her partner Steve was making excuses for her already.
I don’t like the challenges so whizz through them but overall am looking forward to watching these four couples on The Block.

18 rose { 02.02.14 at 10:43 pm }

The block.sounds liked fun but I can’t find a way to watch it online from the US.

19 Gabby { 02.02.14 at 11:16 pm }

That’s a shame Rose, I don’t really know what to suggest. I’m sure you would enjoy it. Maybe some of the more tech savvy people around here may know of where/how it’s available to download.
How do you watch the other shows from here?

20 Zhee { 02.03.14 at 4:21 am }

I use Hola Unblocker, it’s an add-on for Google Chrome. So you can watch it on the official site as well. The downside is, that it is a “gray zone”. You could also check websites like tvmuse etc. Most of the reality TV stuff can be found there from Australia. I hate those websites but it’s the only way to watch something here in France which isn’t French or translated into French (it annoys the hell out of me to watch Friends in French. Horrible, horrible.). As there are no Dvds available of those reality TV shows, it’s the only way to watch it.

21 rose { 02.03.14 at 11:36 am }

I watched big brother and past seasons of project runway Australia through youtube videos. I’m worried about torrenting anything. I will look around and see what I can find.

22 Zhee { 02.03.14 at 11:55 am }

It’s only streaming, no downloads. It’s actually the only thing I use. For regular TV shows you have to wait for months and then get it on Dvd or find another pay to see possibility. -.- Quite expensive. *sigh* As we don’t have Netflix yet in France there’s no other choice. As the French love to translate everything into French like the Germans translate US shows into German, it sucks big time. As soon as we move I try to find some internet TV stuff which is included by Orange or SFR (I heard that you could get at least Sky like I did back in the days in Ireland). But still no chance regarding Australian shows.

PR Australia was horrible. I disliked it as much as Under the Gunn (although I adore Tim Gunn). Hopefully the original PR returns this summer. I miss Heidi. 😉 And I don’t want to stick with Germany’s Next Top Model because Heidi is incredibly annoying in that show. What a difference it makes when she’s speaking English. She sounds less dumb.

23 Carol (without the e) { 02.04.14 at 10:52 am }

My “anti reality TV” husband is watching the block with me this year and loving it.

I’m really loving seeing Brad & Dale together. They should get their own DIY show!!! I’m also enjoying the funny editing and sound effects etc. Nothing like a laugh in between wanting to smack Chantelle for pretending to have seen all the previous Block series.

Winnie the Pooh pillow?????

No wonder the builders are scrambling out of there as quick as their utes will take them!!!

24 Kunjumani { 04.01.14 at 7:02 am }

– LOVE it! You guys were so much fun to work with and the Trailer is creative and unuiqe! The wedding was spectacular and you really captured the sweet love that these two share! We look forward to working with you guys again!Lesli and Bill Emmetts (divineimages.net)