My Kitchen Rules – Vikki And Helena Says To WA Beat That

Vikki and Helena the twins from Victoria went BAM and hit it out of the ball park with their instant restaurant Didmas. They scored a record equalling score  of 95 out of 110 which was great for them and they were very cool under pressure in the kitchen.

However I would like to know how long the diners had to wait for their main and their dessert. The girls only started prepping the main after they had served the entree and even though not that labor intensive it still takes time. Also after stuffing up their first Clementine (orange) and clove cake they cooked another one after they had served the main. Now that cake would have taken at least 40 minutes to cook and then they had to cool it.

This year the cooking mainly has been a step up from the previous season. I suspect the producers are being kinder to them when they are selecting what their menu is. In seasons past the contestants have to submit menu ideas and the producers will mix and match and only the day before tell them what they will be cooking. This ensured there was drama in the kitchen.

This year I have noticed the menus are much more manageable in the time frame. Does anyone else thing this is the case?

Not wanting to detract from the girls great score as their food did look fantastic and fishmongers today must be wondering why everyone  is coming in to ask for Harpuka.

Their food was Greek inspired and seafood based. It was an entree of squid wraps with tomato salad, main was Harpuka with  black olive sauce, vegetable chips, and dessert Clementine and Clove Semolina Cake with Spiced Mascapone

It was not a good start for the twins from Melbourne as they looked for Harpuka. First they turned up to a fishmonger to find it closed and then after ringing around after eight shops they found it. They drove 35 minutes each way to get them. Lucky there were the fifteen pieces they required. Interesting that they bought the squid from a different shop.

Their other issue was there was no clementines so they went with oranges with Helena saying the fruit was family and “family helps family that is what they do”.

They ended up starting prep side half an hour late. But all throughout they were very calm in the kitchen. No twin like yelling like Alisa and Lysandra on The Block.

They  were also fast and calm in prep, with there being quite a few elements in the entree including yoghurt dressing and chorizo salt.

The first attempt at the cake was a disaster as it did not raise as Helena put the butter bit by bit not all together. So they re did it. The only other ‘drama’ was the squid was gluggy as they floured it too early.

Kelly thought the table did not look Greek enough. Did she want rope fishing nets and naked adonis statues? Chloe also mentioned she had just returned from Greece. You could almost feel the eyeballs rolling around the table.

Vikki and Helena were funny with their crushing on the judges with Helena insisting she take Pete’s plate to him. After washing off the squid and re-flouring it Pete said he love the entree. He said “It was fun, has your heritage in there and there was love”. Manu said it was beautiful, squid cooked to perfection and was seasoned well.

Chloe and Kelly were surprised it was that good.

The way the cooked the fish was interesting pan frying it first then wrapping it in baking paper to finish it off. The fish was not the same size of shape but decided they decided it did not matter. It did result in some fish being overcooked.

Also deciding to leave a wayward olive pip in the sauce had a high risk factor as well.

Whilst the teams were waiting for the main Naughty Nana aka Deb was shaking her booty and Chloe and Kelly were a tad repulsed. Props to her and it is extremely funny she in the upcoming episode tonight she has got the nude painting out of herself to show Manu.

The main course looked great and Pete absolutely loved it and said it made him happy. It was not the same for Manu who complained his fish was overcooked and he found part of an olive pip.

Kelly had the same issues as she thought hers was overcooked, and the olive sauce over powered the fish. Though most of the other teams loved the mains and ACT knew they were dead man walking.

The WA Team thought Vikki and Helena looked “as smug as ever” when they served dessert and observed it was only a cake on a plate. Manu thought the dessert was fantastic. Saying it was spongy and fluffy and Pete thought it was a restaurant quality dish.

Kelly thought it was alright but not amazing however as always her comment actually don’t reflect the scores they are giving out. I note none of their positive comments make it on screen.

The teams scores

ACT – 8

QLD – 8

NSW – 8

WA – 8

SA – 9

For a total of 41.

Pete gave a ten for entree, a nine for main, a 10 for dessert and Manu gave a ten for entree, a six for main, a nine for dessert.

It is 95 points and blasting straight to the top the scoreboard as well as equalling  Rocco and Nic’s from score from when they did their instant restaurant round. Does this mean Vikki and Helena will also get to the grand final?

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at 7.30pm.

1 Amy { 02.03.14 at 9:04 pm }

Wops it did work sorry!

2 daisy { 02.03.14 at 9:17 pm }

Imagine if you were Deb’s daughter or son. You wouldn’t want to bring any boy friends over. “Oh lovely to meet you Justin. I can see you’re admiring my portrait.”

3 AwEsOmE { 02.03.14 at 9:21 pm }

Yes, Justin, I had a fanny to die for in those days.

4 drb123 { 02.03.14 at 9:33 pm }

The twins saying 2 people, 1 brain (or half a brain each) – I think they may be giving themselves too much credit. If you told me half a brain between them, I would believe you

5 Sandii { 02.03.14 at 9:45 pm }

Amy, that’s good goss. I read in the Advertiser, that their dad sadly died when they were quite young (12?), and their mum raised them alone. The twins moved to Melbourne to study. I think maybe one doing graphic arts and the other doing something with radio.

6 Andrea { 02.03.14 at 9:56 pm }

Looks like a very scenic lovely place Deb and Rick live in.

7 brain dead dave { 02.03.14 at 9:56 pm }

Wasn’t it possible to take the skin off ze “Ocean Trat” ,whack it in the oven to crisp up and then put it back on ze fish?

Or blow torch ze skin?

Looked like that was filmed late last winter/early spring. Did we really need to see Nauseous Nanna spewing on the side of the road?

Deb and Rick really put the “trifle” into trifle.

8 daisy { 02.03.14 at 10:22 pm }

Sudden power out in our area. Might have to catch Mrs Slokums wax model tomorrow.
Hope she’ll keep. She looks like she bathes in preservatives so I suppose she will.

Many must be making them seat her far away so she doesn’t fondle his firm French stick.

9 Littlepetal { 02.03.14 at 11:03 pm }

Read in the local paper that Deb’s home was damaged by robbers just shortly after the filming of the instant restaurant.

10 Amy { 02.03.14 at 11:14 pm }

Sandii @55 That is sad :-( We see their Mum in at work a lot too.

Radio sounds right as someone said one of them works/worked at Fresh FM..?

11 Anonymous { 02.04.14 at 12:31 am }

Awesome #36-Haha, Oh my god, that is her!

12 Chrissie { 02.04.14 at 12:39 am }

Hate I be crass (but someone has to say it – if it hasn’t already – looking at BDD!) but do you think the judges purposely made it up to final score of 69…just for Miss Naughty Nanna?!?!

13 daisy { 02.04.14 at 12:40 am }

Poor Deb, I can see she might have been chosen for her Gerry Gee factor. Gerry Gee impersonates Maye West. ” Come up and see me sometime”.
She reddems herself by being friendly towards the other contestants though.

14 Chrissie { 02.04.14 at 12:41 am }

Oops typo – that should have been “hate to be”….. 😉

15 daisy { 02.04.14 at 1:58 am }

Chrissie, I think she was chosen for her putty face and crass man hungry behaviour. I missed tonight’s because of the power out.
Testing Georgie’s eye-roll because I was in hossie and high when she showed us.
:roll:

16 daisy { 02.04.14 at 1:59 am }

Yay. It worked. Thanks Georgie. Thanks CL.

17 daisy { 02.04.14 at 1:59 am }

Yay. It worked. Thanks Georgie. Thanks CL.

Now I just want one that looks like Judge Judy.

18 Georgie { 02.04.14 at 7:35 am }

Shucks! 😳

19 Georgie { 02.04.14 at 7:44 am }

Debauch is an embarrassment. If a bloke went on like that toward a younger female they’d be labelled a ‘lewd dirty old man’.

Kelly = Lucky Starr (I’ve Been Everywhere Man)

Does going to Greece twice make you an authority Lucky? The twins grew up in the culture ffs!

20 Gabby { 02.04.14 at 7:58 am }

Chrissie @ 62 classic, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I never noticed the 69 score, I bet they did give the sexy nana 69 just to be cheeky.

21 Georgie { 02.04.14 at 8:09 am }

Oh golly gosh – well how cheeky am I? My last comment was #69! :roll:

22 Windsong { 02.04.14 at 10:47 am }

Yeah, when the judges gave her a 69 (… no pun intended), I thought for sure, they’d done that deliberately.

Deb looked quite surprised by this, though.

23 Ryan { 02.04.14 at 11:03 am }

Have they got this? Do you think ‘they got this’? Will they still ‘got this’ later on? Seriously, stop trying to make it a catch phrase, sweethearts, or at least learn to use the correct grammar. Nice girls, but that is really starting to shit me.

24 Loz { 02.04.14 at 11:32 am }

I hope Chole & Kelly bomb tonight, they are super annoying, edited or not they said those words.
The twins were great and I hope they are in the final – or at least close enough to it. At the moment they are ‘Twinning’. And yeah it didn’t take them that long to do the cake as they said about 15-20 in the oven.
I also wonder, when do they do the washing up? Cos some of it must get done in between courses…..and the kitchen always looks pretty cleanish at the end.

25 Reality Raver { 02.04.14 at 1:10 pm }

Juz – will check into the Great British BakeOff on GEM but if I miss it can you give me a nudge and I will put up a discussion thread. No problems.

26 Juz { 02.04.14 at 1:47 pm }