The Block – The Apartments Are Picked And The Game Is On

Seriously who can find a builder who is ready to start on your renovation within 24 hours. Clearly Dale and Brad and the twins already had one lined up. Chantelle and Steve were in desperate need of a builder as they could not even work out their floor plans.  They are out of their depth. Lysandra and Alisa told them they did not need a builder straight away if they could find a carpenter to do the ordering for what they need. Kyal and Kara decided they could do it themselves at this stage because of his A+ chippie skills.

The apartments had been selected with the fans winning the 24 hour design room challenge by doing an interpretation of the judges room for just over $9,000. Whereas  the favourites did a faithful reproduction but spent $12,000. Neale also gave the faves a rap across the knuckles  for using so many replica pieces saying it can make a room feel generic.

The fans were always favourites to win except if they had put up something really disgusting as they have to be given some advantage against the returning players.

Dale looked as underwhelmed as I felt when Darren Palmer gave his masterclass in how to style a cushion.

The Block producers are the masters of stretching an episode and when the four teams said they needed ten more minutes to decide on which apartment they wanted the viewer did not need that in real time.

Kyal and Kara won the coin toss with Chantelle and Steve and got to pick first. There seem to be a lack of windows in some of the apartments but there are rooftop views. It will be interesting to see the light solutions the teams come up with.

The twins who picked last that is had no choice again, received the apartment with no city views and they tried to be optimistic about it but as they looked at their “country village view” Alisa was tearing up.

They were all given $100,000 cash and floor plans that they could change how they wanted to. Also Scott told them they had three weeks to do the swimming pool and common areas, and then added they needed to do a bedroom in seven days.

The teams will be keen for the bedroom as they were given tents to sleep in on concrete floors. However this did give the opportunity for Dale and Brad to make a lot of double entendres about their sleeping situation.

The Block Fans V Favourites on weeknights at 7.30pm.

1 all happening { 02.03.14 at 1:43 pm }

When was the block on last night please RR? We watched the cricket on Ch9. Is there a replay as my recorder didn’t pick it up?

2 Techhater { 02.03.14 at 2:09 pm }

AH It was on straight after the cricket. Just had a look and appears to be no repeat today. Might have to wait until the weekend.

The twins were definitely not happy losing the challenge. And they’ve already started with the jibes followed by the obligatory “I was JOKING!!!!!”

3 all happening { 02.03.14 at 2:11 pm }

Oh bother! Thanks TH. Not happy!

4 Techhater { 02.03.14 at 2:13 pm }

Neither are the twins.LOL :'(

5 Izobel2 { 02.03.14 at 2:23 pm }

Hey All Happening, I’m in SA. The cricket was on here too, and I didn’t think it came on after the cricket? We have 2 episodes on tonight, I thought that was the deal here…

6 Izobel2 { 02.03.14 at 2:25 pm }

The online guide says “the judges choose the winners of the challenge, and blah blah”. So hopefully we’re all ok. 130 minutes worth tonight.

7 Techhater { 02.03.14 at 2:37 pm }

Izobel2 AH and i are both in QLD. Just checking tv guide and there appears to be no encores tomorrow for either TB or MKR. Now that’s a real dilemma for me. Which one to watch and hope the other is repeated later in the week.

8 Reality Raver { 02.03.14 at 2:38 pm }

I only realised there was a delay in some states when I looked at the ratings mid morning and they were Biggest Loesr levels low and I thought what is going on here.

9 all happening { 02.03.14 at 2:46 pm }

BL should be on this arvo TH as JJ is not scheduled on my recorder as normal on Monday.
Thanks Iz2, I just checked Cairns programs and there are 2 1 hour shows scheduled. My recorder also programmed 2 eps tonight.

10 Techhater { 02.03.14 at 2:51 pm }

AH sorry i meant the Block not Biggest Loser.

11 all happening { 02.03.14 at 2:55 pm }

Getting my BLT’s mixed up TH. If they are only 1 hour eps of TB then definitely 2 eps on tonight.

12 Techhater { 02.03.14 at 3:03 pm }

AH out here oue programming comes from NT. We got the Block last night but there are no encores tomorrow of either show.

13 Techhater { 02.03.14 at 3:10 pm }

Oh Bl**dy Hell. Just checked tv guide AGAIN for the 4th time since we started this discussion and now encores of the Block are shown at 6pm on GO99 from tomorrow. Dilemma solved.

14 Zhee { 02.03.14 at 3:21 pm }

Hmm, you could still catch up with the shows you missed using the online episodes of the TV channels. So no need to wait for the repeat.

RR, yep, it was clear from the start that the fans will win the first challenge and that the twins will end up again with the apartment without city view.
Chantelle is really starting to annoy me, Kara as well “we are the nice couple”. Ugh. People who call themselves nice usually are really horrible…
Btw, we have a saying in German “Nett ist die kleine Schwester von Scheiße”. Thankfully little Kara will never here of that one.

15 Maz { 02.03.14 at 3:23 pm }

Maybe I need to pay a bit more attention as I thought the challenge was to recreate the judges room on a budget not interpret the room.

Um, not only builder would I be desperately seeking but an architect as well particularly if there are lighting issues and spatial considerations. Encyclopedic knowledge of Grand Designs would not help!

16 Zhee { 02.03.14 at 3:32 pm }

I guess they get an architect from the producers. As far as I know in the past years the architect was always the same for everyone?

Oh, on a side note: If there is a U2 fan among you, you can currently download their newest song on iTunes for free. Just saw it when I looked up some new music for myself.

17 Techhater { 02.03.14 at 3:34 pm }

Zhee i’ve known Kara’s mum for 30years and she was my daughter’s best friend all through school. I can assure you they really are nice and can pretty well guarantee no nastiness from them at all.

18 all happening { 02.03.14 at 3:40 pm }

Zhee, I am wracking my brain for that translation. 45plus years since I did German at school. Is it something to do with big isn’t always better? (literal, sorry)

19 Zhee { 02.03.14 at 3:41 pm }

Hopefully you are right. Usually we can only judge from what’s presented on TV and I got the impression on ep 1 that she’s nice, but then her interactions with Chantelle showed it different. Thanks to the editing I felt she’s annoying (not in a Chantelle league but still annoying).

Edit:
It’s basically just saying that nice is the little sister of being shitty towards others (or if “nice” is meant as a compliment it’s like, yeah, you still are awful).

20 Techhater { 02.03.14 at 3:55 pm }

Admitedly i haven’t seen her for a while i still can’t imagine anything horrible from her.

I think what is hard to take as a viewer is that over the past couple of years we’ve been subjected to some really horrible contestants on almost every reality show that’s been aired, and if someone who is genuinely a decent human being we are automatically wary and in a state of disbelief.

21 all happening { 02.03.14 at 3:57 pm }

Time will tell about different ones characters. The production can play some tricks but sooner or later we will see.

22 brain dead dave { 02.03.14 at 4:07 pm }

What you can do all happening is type “translate” into Google,then cut and paste the quote “Nett ist die kleine Schwester von Scheiße”.

Before you can scratch your arse, you get “Nice is the little sister of shit”

I think U2 are shizen,btw..

23 all happening { 02.03.14 at 4:13 pm }

Thx BDD, I didn’t know I could do that.

24 Zhee { 02.03.14 at 4:18 pm }

I at least gave it a chance and listened to the song only to immediately dislike it. Bono is in the same category as Tom Cruise for me. I don’t want to own the music of Bono and I don’t want to watch movies with Tom Cruise.
I am such a biased person… Tststs…

25 Techhater { 02.03.14 at 4:27 pm }

Zhee You and i are so alike. I’m exactly the same with both of them.
And there are never any arguments if a Tom Snooze film comes on and Desi and the 2 sons want to watch it, they’re the ones sent to the other room to watch it on the smaller tv.

26 brain dead dave { 02.03.14 at 4:37 pm }

Tom Cruise is naturally suited to smaller tv’s.

I had some U2 CD’s and gave them a chance but they had to go.

27 Zhee { 02.03.14 at 4:40 pm }

The other big dislike is Helena Bonham Carter. I have never watched Fight Club because of her until I lived in Ireland and some friends wanted to do a movie night. So I just focused more on Brad’s and Edward’s bodies.
At least my dislike saves me from the ever-repeating Tim Burton movies. Oh, Johnny Depp in white make up… how innovative. :O
My boyfriend started going to the cinema without me because I always dislike the movies he chose for the night.

I just realized it’s good that I never labeled myself being a nice person. 😀

28 Jaime { 02.03.14 at 11:41 pm }

Im stoked with The Block teams this year. This year the teams are more mature and funny than last years bitchy high school drama! Not real fussed on that Chantel but otherwise it’s a good start!!

29 Chrissie { 02.04.14 at 12:33 am }

The best views / apartment also means highest reserves.

Don’t know why the twins are complaining – they won last season with the last pick!

30 Carol (without the e) { 02.04.14 at 11:33 am }

“Nett ist die kleine Schwester von Scheiße”

=

“To damn with faint praise”

aka (I guess) as sort of a backhanded compliment.

31 Reality Raver { 02.07.14 at 11:13 am }

Techhater – You know Kara? Hopefully she will get a good edit them.