My Kitchen Rules – Naughty Nana Loses Her Lunch

Deb lost it literally on My Kitchen Rules on the day of her instant restaurant. She was so freaked out about the time she had to stop the car and barf on the roadside. Mentally she was also losing it in the kitchen. At one point she also lost her clothes but that was in a painting and it was Manu Feildel who had to look at it in all its unpixelated glory.

Rick her husband,  thought this might get them extra points, but even though he  was the weaker cook he held it together and came up with the solutions to their culinary issues. As soon as something started going wrong she would just ever so slightly flip out.

Their kitchen looked like it was a bit small to cook for twelve people in there was barely any bench top space.

They went for a seafood inspired menu which made country boy Jason quip that he was starting to suffer iron deficiency.

Entree was Prawn, Fennel with potato crisps  and mustard dressing, main was ocean trout with pesto stuffing and dessert was Deb’s Trifle.

Manu catering for the overseas market explained to camera what a prawn was and how it was cooked.

But before the menu came out Vikki spilt champagne on her nemesis Kelly and Kelly did the passive aggressive thing of saying  “It’s fine, it’s fine”, but was totally pissed off.

The plating of the entree was not great and on seeing it Emelia who is on the bottom of the scoreboard perked up as she thought they might be in with a chance of getting off the bottom of the scoreboard.

Deb had a brain explosion and seemed to confuse sauce with dressing and put too much on the plate.

Manu said the prawns were cooked perfectly and he liked the mustard dressing but it was far too much. All the teams thought the mustard was too hot.

Their idea of stuffing the trout was putting it between two fillet but as Deb said it looked like a hamburger and would have been impossible to cook. In the end they cooked the trout and put the pesto on the plate beside it along with the mash. On the plate it looked a bit ordinary but really did Chloe have to rearrange it in the way she thought it should look?

The judges like it. Manu said the pesto was to die for and that the flavours were good. He even liked the mash. Pete said he was glad they had pared back their dish but did say his fish was over cooked.

The trifle took three hours to get onto the table because they cooked the cakes in roasting pans and it was a disaster, so they made another cake. Manu goes he would have to take points off but still gave it an eight so it must have been good. The WA girls thought it was cream, cream and more cream. Kelly thought it wasn’t a trifle. Maybe she said this because she said she hated trifles and she liked this dish?

Pete said the trifle was the best thing they had cooked that night.

Scores from the other teams were variable:

Qld – 6

Vic – 7 (do they have an alliance going on with SA?)

WA – 5

NSW – 5

ACT – 5

Manu gave five for entree, eight for main, eight for dessert and Pete gave five for entree, seven for main, and eight for dessert

They received a total score of 69.  Deb was so emotional she did not make a risque remark about their score.

1 cara { 02.04.14 at 3:27 pm }

There seem to be way less shots of cupboards full of product placement this year. Was it Mkr or Masterchef when everyone seemed to have pantry’s full of campbell’s stock? though i did notice Rick used apple cider vinegar from Woolies Macro range, but the label was conveniently facing slightly away from camera. So they must have done their shopping at Woolworths then? I wonder if the twins also did their shopping at Woolworths bc MKR only seems to show “they have it!” moments at Coles, and ‘they don’t have it” disasters when its not.
i will add though that after seeing deb/rick and the twins do their instant restaurant rounds, i like both pairs a lot more. deb/rick too just seem very kind-hearted. and the twins obviously look to them as grandparents kind of respect.

2 Techhater { 02.04.14 at 3:36 pm }

I think off topic is good also.

Remember the night we were talking about cockroaches and cane toads till the wee small hours.

I feel for Deb and Rick having to deal with arson and vandalism just before filming. Could explain Deb’s nausea and nerves. Their house doesn’t exactly blend into the background. (But i really loved the letterbox/artwork….maybe I’m a wee bit envious as there’s no such thing as a letterbox out here)

3 Zhee { 02.04.14 at 3:38 pm }

Sorry, it’s also the right foot. And I’m even shorter, hopefully I get the English heights correct, then I’m only 5’2.

It was MKR with all the chicken stock. I still wonder why they do not use their own stock. I mean it’s a cooking competition, they slap the contestants for using store bought curries but then again it’s fine that they use their sponsors chicken stock.

4 Sandii { 02.04.14 at 3:46 pm }

Techhater. A letter box and rubbish collections are all I wish for. My needs are few.

5 daisy { 02.04.14 at 3:51 pm }

My favourite was the day we invented using the ‘buy back the boats’ scheme for an oldies boat escapade. And we got into trouble for being ageist. :roll:

6 Techhater { 02.04.14 at 4:10 pm }

Sandii At least here in town we do get a rubbish collection.

7 Littlepetal { 02.04.14 at 4:40 pm }

We also have fun with the discussion on our travelling around Aus in the Seniors bus. That was off topic but fun and didn’t we rub somebody in the wrong way.

8 daisy { 02.04.14 at 5:20 pm }

Littlepetal, @ 57 Deb would like Manu to rub her the wrong way.

9 Littlepetal { 02.04.14 at 5:28 pm }

daisy 😳 😳 😳

10 Izobel2 { 02.04.14 at 5:28 pm }

Ooh Daisy @ 58!

I was happy watching this episode, because Deb & Rick had to do a 4 hour trip to the ‘best fishmonger in South Australia”, and it’s actually my local fishmonger, it’s less than 90 seconds from my house! I knew there was a reason I shopped there!

I was thinking that if I went on MKR, and the fishmonger is 90 seconds away and Coles is less than 5 mins, would I get 4 hours for shopping? They’d probably make me drive 2 hours to some pheasant farm or something!

11 Andrea { 02.04.14 at 5:37 pm }

It would be easier to cut out all the shopping and just let the contestants have their ingredients already on hand.
I suppose it wouldn’t be as much fun to watch though.
Are you going to try Deb and Rick’s fish recipes Izobel?

12 Izobel2 { 02.04.14 at 5:43 pm }

I do enjoy a bit of pesto Andrea, but there’s no way I’d be making a trout sandwich like they were going to make!

It definitely wouldn’t be as fun if they had loads of time and just made perfect dishes every time.. most of the fun is watching them stress out, and then still hopefully make a good meal!

My dad, Mr No Reality TV EVER, is watching MKR with my mum this year. His sentence to me this morning… “you watch that cooking show don’t you, I hate those b*tches at the table. Don’t need their b*^*sh*t”!!

13 Littlepetal { 02.04.14 at 5:51 pm }

My brother complained to me that the girls were very bitchy. Not sure he watch last year MKR. Ashlee and Sophia were worse. I still don’t think this year MKR is that bad.

14 Windsong { 02.04.14 at 6:36 pm }

I said it in another thread, but I’d bet money the final score of 69 was deliberate by the judges. Poor Deb was so flustered she didn’t even notice (although if I was Manu, I probably would’ve had one of the camera-people test the food first).

I do think the Contiki girls are getting a rough edit, but no amount of editing can put words in somebody’s mouth, and they have said some unkind things. And the “I’ve been to every country ever!” stuff is a little obnoxious no matter how you cut it, I think.

15 Techhater { 02.04.14 at 6:41 pm }

LittlePetal Yes our bustrip was fun. 😀

I wonder if i went on it if they’d give me the 10 hours needed to do a round trip to my nearest Coles?

16 daisy { 02.04.14 at 7:09 pm }

That’s a bit exciting Izobel. It would have been good if you had been in the shot doing bunny ears over their heads or something.

Littlepetal, I have a friend here who stopped watching completely last year because of the nonsense and villainy but is watching this year and enjoying it.
Yes everyone. The bus trip was a high light. I stopped to pee and you drove off and forgot me.