Secrets From The Biggest Loser Set

The biggest loser US

There has been an international collective gasp over the weight of the winner of The Biggest Loser USA, Rachel Fredrickson and how gaunt she looked. Sure she gets the title of skinniest winner ever but even Shannan Ponton a trainer on the Australian version is shocked.

The story has also brought out some people who reveal some behind the scenes strategies the contestants and the producers use on the show. Some of these tactics have been revealed before.

Andrew ‘Cosi’ Costello a former contestant  who has fairly positive memories of the program has revealed to news.com.au:

• The weigh-ins are not done weekly and can be up to three weeks apart;
  • They have limited contact with their family;
  • Only worked out for two and half hours a day;
  • Shannan and Michelle Bridges regularly came in on weekends to give the contestants extra sessions;
  • Seventy-five percent of the contestants from his series are back to their starting weight and he has put back half the weight that he lost.

Former host Ajay Rochester has also come out talking about the show in her blog Finding My Mojo. She says contestants before weigh-in would dehydrate themselves, were on as little as 200 calories a day, and would drink tea tree oil to make them throw up.

She also writes in one season the winner had to be put on an IV drip before going on camera to take the title. Ajay says now the final weigh-in takes place a few days before so the contestants look OK. Apparently the US trainers Jill and Bob were pretty much divas on set only turning up for an hour training a day and other personal trainers had to be hired for the contestants. She reveals they also wanted to import caffeine pills something Jill’s team was penalised for on the latest series on the show.

Also Ajay has a new coaching business to help motivate people to lose weight. Go here for details.

The Biggest Loser Australia on TEN Sunday to Tuesday nights at 7.30pm.

1 Littlepetal { 02.08.14 at 8:20 am }

Ajay will be the last person you want to go to for losing weight. She is proof that you won’t keep the weight off. She put on more weight than she has lost each time she tried to lose weight.

Brett,TBL contestant from last season said on whirlpool forum their weekly weigh in is really weekly. That is why the weekly weight loss was not as great.

2 Littlepetal { 02.08.14 at 8:34 am }

Brett, the former contestant from last season said there were nutritionists around to ensure they are eating enough (bet 1000-1200cals)

3 Veronicali { 02.08.14 at 9:23 am }

One of this year’s contestants let it slip that there were two weeks before this year’s first competitive weigh-in.

4 PollyB { 02.08.14 at 10:29 am }

Poor dear deluded Ajay.

5 Georgie { 02.08.14 at 11:10 am }

Yeah I don’t see Ajay as inspirational, but then again neither is Michelle Bridges. If I needed someone to motivate me I’d rather someone who had achieved a realistic and sustainable weight/lifestyle and who was genuinely happy.

6 AwEsOmE { 02.08.14 at 11:28 am }

75% are back to their starting weight! That is shocking!

7 Muffin { 02.08.14 at 12:06 pm }

I used to watch BL but haven’t really gotten into it this year. I don’t know why, I just can’t really get over the whole Commando/Michelle thing and the more I watch, the more the show just seems to be a vehicle for the trainers’ various commercial interests. Admittedly, it is amusing to watch the millionaire hard-body trainers pretending to empathize with the fatties.

8 Fiona { 02.08.14 at 1:29 pm }

IS Ajay on crack, nobody in their right mind would go to her to lose weight.
I have also been reading the whirpool forums and am really loving Brett’s explanation of things that happened on his season.
As for Cosi could not care less about what he has to say, his season was years ago and it seems to me that at least now things are different. At the end of the day and idiot knows losing a big amount of weight in a short time is not good. I just like watching the show and seeing the contestants lose weight and look better, does that make me a bad person? who knows and who cares.

9 brain dead dave { 02.08.14 at 2:18 pm }

I think it’s hilarious that the producers are keeping Commando and Michelle apart on the show.

Surely no one takes this show seriously. It’s just , pun intended “light’ entertainment. The contestants wouldn’t know if their fat arses were on fire and I doubt that if they did , that it would stop them eating lard like there’s no tomorrow.

10 AwEsOmE { 02.08.14 at 5:04 pm }

Ajay could do a masterclass on welfare fraud.

11 Esmeralda { 02.09.14 at 8:33 am }

Yes it is silly to lose weight so quickly but really what is all the fuss about? Rachel looks amazing. People can be envious. It is up to her if she keeps it off. Good for her I say. I should be so lucky!

12 seepi { 02.09.14 at 5:58 pm }
13 brain dead dave { 02.09.14 at 6:48 pm }

No Biggest Loser because of the shenanigans in Sochi. **** you ,Ch 10!

What’s more important? Our Olympic “heroes” or the people of Ararat’s struggle for life or lard?

Thanks for that link,seepi. Chris was jogging around Camp Biggest Loser 24/7. He looked ill.

14 Littlepetal { 02.09.14 at 6:59 pm }

BDD, its not because of Sochi. Its because of So you think you can dance. TBL back on Tue to Thurs

15 Gypsygirl { 02.10.14 at 9:58 am }

Long time lurker here. This is an interesting read too (about the US version). http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

16 Gabby { 02.10.14 at 10:52 am }

Thanks Gypsygirl for sharing the link. I hope you won’t continue to be a lurker. It’s nice to have new people come on board. Welcome!

17 Dr T { 02.10.14 at 10:46 pm }

I was going to calculate her BMI, but someone on wikipedia already has:

That weight loss speed is just outright dangerous. Just waiting for a contestant on TBL somewhere to die during the process – I’m sure which ever unlucky country it happens in will be able to weasel their way out of the legal responsibility.

18 Littlepetal { 02.11.14 at 11:53 am }

BDD- CH 10 changed the programming again. No TBL tonight. This WK it will on from Wed to Fri. Not good. I hate it when shows dont stick to the original programming. Chop and change will going to lose viewers