The Block – Chantelle And Steve Are In A World Of Pain

The producers of The Block must be breaching some United Nations treaty by having Chantelle and Steve on the show as it must be torture for them all day and everyday.

Last week they did not get their first bedroom finished and Neale Whittaker called it “claustrophobic” and they have been struggling from day one. I suppose they can be consoled by the fact that the judges did like their lights they had made the best.

Now they are struggling with their bathroom, laundry and terrace with wood going missing and also Keith’s builders making a lift shaft which means they are impacting on their area. Did I hear it right regarding the lift? Why does the building need one surely they can all walk up stairs. Who would want the increase in strata fees that occurs when you have a lift.

Chantelle is now realising that having cameras thrust in your face 24/7 is not fun and she thinks this and the lack of sleep is inhibiting her creativity. Whereas Steve just wants to build things but can’t. Two weeks in and his ethics are getting shonky with him telling his builder to take some of Kyal’s wood. However Kyal has his marked.

What gets me with all the cameras around no one ever gets busted for stealing stuff. Wasn’t this a drama on The Block Sky High last year?

Kyal and Kara’s halo has fallen with the dimensions of their bathroom being wrong so they have a toilet dilemma. Brad and Dale’s relaxed attitude has seen a similar problem occur for them.

Lysandra and Alisa at this stage remain the golden girls. They won the room reveal with the stairs giving their room the edge over the others and now they are relaxed and comfortable about their bathroom. Surely they must come a cropper soon.

Did you think the right team won the room reveal? Should Chantelle and Steve be getting more support from Keith?

The Block weeknights at 7.30pm.

1 Maz { 02.11.14 at 11:52 am }

I think this season of the Block is appalling. Its one thing having a defined structure and another having a free for all.

A better outcome would have been for there to have been a defined layout (with the plumbing!!!) then allow the team to adjust (with consultation with an architect).

I blame the production for the BS about the plumbing as someone must have know drilling those holes would cause some issues with fire wall etc.

Stealing materials: again standard Block subplot. Seriously, if you or your contractors are caught doing it deduct points. It will stop.

Again, enough with the drama with S&C. They should have been given a list of builders and told them to pick from there. Though I think for this Block the production should have gone less photogenic and more skills appropriate for the job.

It wasn’t as though production didn’t know there would be issues with C&S as for the elimination round they were the third weakest team (aka the QLD miners should have got in before them).

Lift shaft should have been done prior to filming.

2 Shellbot { 02.11.14 at 12:05 pm }

Is the lift communal? How does that work? Is it just for transport up to the rooftop terrace and down to the pool maybe?

3 Erin { 02.11.14 at 12:06 pm }

I really like The Block, i think the concept for the show is great, however, I’m starting to get a little bored with it!!
Nothing really happened last night, expect tiles being picked and some holes drilled in the wrong places!!
I’d like to see them try a week of changing up the editing and focusing one couple each night of the week, and then we could see their progress from start to finish (without actually seeing the final product – having to wait until Sunday room reveal. ) Obviously they would still show interaction between the couples, but at least then you would see a bit more of the design / building side of things.

4 PollyB { 02.11.14 at 12:16 pm }

This whole setup is BS. All “Keith’s” works are known in advance and should have been done in advance. The plumbing being drilled in the wrong place is a setup. S&C, with no reno experience are chosen over other possibles. Purely for the ‘drama’. I am so sick of hearing Scott Cam. It is all voiceover work this year. Every possible product is highlighted, manufactured drama from the get go. This could have been a great series due to the concept but it is so far crap.
Erin – I agree, one couple each night so we can see their progress.
Thank god for recording is all I can say.

5 Reality Raver { 02.11.14 at 12:45 pm }

Maz – Agree Qld miners must be pissed.

Shellbot – must be. The lofts are three stories but it would be an external lift not in the apartments.

Erin & PollyB – there is so much filler. I refuse to watch Shelley’s show after the normal block on Thursday night because of it.

6 Gidgitvonlarue { 02.11.14 at 1:47 pm }

I’m actually finding it quite uncomfortable watching this season. I think the idea of ‘creating’ apartments in this huge old building was the first mistake. I miss the days of the semi’s side by side. Maybe that’s just me. Then I think the nice mining couple that DID know what they were doing were ripped off being put up against Kyle and Kara. Chantelle and Steve are SO out of their depth – this constant reminder by the show to us ‘and hey, they have NO renovation experience what so ever’ is now like nails on a chalkboard. I’m feeling SO damn sorry for them – it’s like watching mice in a python tank. Are Ch 9 and The BLock folks not aware this is really quite uncomfortable viewing. Drama is one thing, but it just seems like Chantelle and Steve have been thrown into the deep end with no swimming skills and the show is just standing around watching them drown.

Big mistake Ch 9! The reason I’m not tweeting to your show is it’s NOT FUN! Lets face it – really The Block is a design and decorating show. Just watch the first few seasons of the show. Very limited building and tradie stuff – more shopping and interior design. I really am not interested in plumbing. That’s why I hire a plumber!!!

7 Danielle { 02.11.14 at 3:35 pm }

It does say in the TV week that C&S walk off after 3 weeks. It sounds like they continue to come 4th in the room reveal and that effects their confidence. They are getting help from the favourites but they seem to be unused to high stress.
If it were me I would learn some basic interior design skills most importantly do something really stressful for a few weeks to see how you react and develop strategies for coping with stress.

But I thought the block stopped using couples without renovating experience. I thought that was part of the audition.

8 Peg { 02.11.14 at 4:36 pm }

Firstly, I think you’d want a lift in a three story apartment when the only alternative is a spiral staircase.

Chantelle and Steve make me so stressed and frustrated just watching them. Because the block has now changed from a renovating/design show to a full on building show in the lat few series, all the couples NEED to have proper renovating experience. Otherwise it’s just not enjoyable to watch.

Obstacles and challenges set up by the producers does not make good television to me.

The show desperately needs to quit using irratating graphics and game show segments. They are so repetitive and unamusing. Half the show is recaps. We know Kyal’s a chippy, we know the twins were cops, we know Brad and Dale competed with their wives last time, we know Chantelle and Steve have no renovating experience, we know they had trouble finding a builder. Why do they find the need to remind us all the time.

Saying all this, i still enjoy the show, but only when i have the option of fast forward.

9 Agent 86 { 02.11.14 at 4:49 pm }

My other comment was eaten by the internet monster!

I liked the Super Ks room the best. I thought the stairs, tiny “study” and small wardrobe in the twins room were all impractical. The boys room was okay, but poorly styled and shouldn’t have been equal to the Super Ks. Chantelle and Steve … well perhaps it’s time for them to retire from The Block.

I agree with the other comments about the ridiculous premise of dropping inexperienced participants into a shell (without a roof) and expecting them to determine the placement of all internal walls, electrical wiring, plumbing, etc. Sure, it creates “drama”, but I don’t want to see participants suffer health issues (physical and mental) because Channel 9 think that tears = higher ratings.

10 Agent 86 { 02.11.14 at 4:51 pm }

And I agree with Peg. This show is only enjoyable/watchable when you have the option of fast forwarding through all the nonsense and there are copious amounts of nonsense!

11 Zhee { 02.11.14 at 8:55 pm }

I think the twins’ and “Super K’s” rooms were by far the best. Especially the fans’s room looked fantastic. I think they will produce the very best bathroom in like forevahhhh on The Block (as mentioned in the promo). Kara really has a very good eye. The twins’s room with the stairs was quite cool. I just wish there had been more storage. They boys’ room was okay. C&S’s was…like baking a cake and mixing up sugar with salt and forgetting the baking powder. I hated the room. First I thought: That barn door sounds so cool. Then we saw them shopping that horrid bed/desk combo. Yeah, practical but so ugly. :(

And yup, it becomes awfully repetitive. And I really can’t stand watching Chantelle and Steve. It’s like a car crash. However I think they will walk away from the show and then return. Although I was hoping they will not return and they bring in the miner couple which I really liked.
I can’t feel sorry for C&S, they knew before hat they will most likely be up to. From season to season the objetcs to be renovated became more ridiculous. Why apply for a show when you have no clue what you do? It’s the same when I would apply for a show called “Match the Matrix Algebra”.

12 Jane { 02.11.14 at 10:40 pm }

I really love The Block. Never miss it. I hope someone from Channel Nine reads this STOP RUINING THE BLOCK!!! Stop showing previews of what happens in the future and ruining it!!!! You make out that Steve and Chantelle leave then show a clip that shows them in judging. You show rooms and judges comments and it RUINS the show :( Cut the scripted drama!!! I do love the fact that the couples aren’t whinging children like last year. There is a more adult feel this season than the school yard crap that went on last time.

13 Fiona { 02.12.14 at 5:26 am }

“The Block – Chantelle And Steve Are In A World Of Pain”
I have a feeling that this will be the title for every Block recap this season. I really feel sorry for S&C. I know that I would be feeling the same way if I were in their shoes. I have no “building” experience and I crack under pressure. At the end of the day you can be the biggest fan of The Block, but that will not help you when it comes to being on the show.

14 Joseph Skyrim { 02.12.14 at 8:17 am }

Is it wrong that when I read the title, Gary Mehigan’s voice came into my head? 😛

15 Tell It Like It Is { 02.12.14 at 12:08 pm }

Joseph – ha ha Gary Meaghan’s voice. I love it.

I wonder if this blog can employ a friend or relative to be proof-reader. It bugs me that every blog has typos & errors…

The Block so far this season… agree with others that the most irritating factors are:

– the repeated “previews” and “reviews” which take up so much screen time (thankfully we also tape and watch later with the fast-forward button at the ready)

– the ridiculous large projects like lifts and roof that should be done before the filming starts, it just makes the build look like amateur hour

– the bloody challenges which are juvenile, wasteful and not very entertaining… I could do without those.

I want to see more of how the couples decide & plan their layouts with a view to designing a cohesive apartment… oh and I actually don’t mind seeing quite a bit of sourcing/shopping!

16 brain dead dave { 02.12.14 at 12:23 pm }

#15….You could use a proof–reader yourself if you can’t spell Gary’s name.

17 MT { 02.12.14 at 6:55 pm }

This season is boring and ridiculous. The numerous sexual suggestions when Dale is on screen is stupid and awkward. He’s a married man for goodness sake.
The twins think they are about 1000 times better looking and talented than they actually are.
I don’t mind Kyal and Kara, they seem to be trying hard and doing well.
Chantelle and Steve are being given a rough edit and it probably isn’t that bad really.
Brad who???

18 Shooey { 02.12.14 at 10:25 pm }

I find it hard to believe Steve and Chantelle are genuine fans of the show.
Tend to agree with another contributor’s observation that they seem to have wandered on set from another show.
Although they seem a nice couple, Chantelle is a real loop de loop and Steve just doesn’t want to be there – it is SO obvious.
he looks like he is on the verge of tears all the time.
Something very strange and not quite right about this whole season.
There have been too many stuff-ups already AND all the stuff-ups are to be happening to s&C.
We also know, thanks to the ads which seem to give away a lot of the story!, that they move out of The Block.
I am not enjoying this season at all.
And quite frankly, with so many mistakes in the construction of these apartments why oh why would anyone want to buy there!

19 whingy whiners { 02.13.14 at 8:26 pm }

Steve and Chantelle are terribly whiny sooks. What did they expect? Tough edits or not, they just let things happen. There is no productive activity. They’re tired, emotional, not in a good place…. Well boo hoo… excuses excuses…
Bad form people.