My Kitchen Rules – Harry Revealed He Could Not Cook And That Christos Was Not Much Better

Harry must have ignored Confuscious’s advice when he says “Go on cooking show must know how to cook”. Harry from Victoria showed he could not boil an egg but he could break them. You had to wonder at what point did Christos tell his best mate that he had signed him up to a cooking show. It confirmed Harry was on the show for a lark. He was useless. In fact even though the first thing we saw was him trying to make pastry he must have been doing something else as he had a cut on his hand already by the end of prep he had a few more.

Harry had no idea. He put the wrong sugar in the shortcrust pastry so had to start again. He put the beads on top of the pastry shell without putting in baking paper or aluminium foil and then he dropped and cracked it.

He then ran out to buy store bought pastry. And even after all that he dumped all the peppercorns in the caramelised onions for the entree of Caramelised Onion Tart. You knew there were going to be issues when they had to go and buy tart tins in their shopping time. Surely they would have had them in one of their houses to use what were they practising with.  I note they had a very high end ice cream machine.

Christos clearly is on the show to promote his home cooking business and he may have done it more harm than good. He said he makes chilli oil, shortbread, panaforte, and relish but did not say where he sold it.

Harry was given the responsibility for the tart and he dished up a grey looking onion. Both judges said thought it was a good start and said even though it did not look fabulous it tasted good.

Personally I thought they were being generous and for once dickhead David had a point it was not a difficult dish to make.

Christos was taking responsibility for the Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto Rolled Veal and because he was behind he reluctantly had to give Harry the responsibility for the croquettes. Christos overloaded the pan with the veal when he was browning it and then over cooked it. The judges also criticised it for having no sauce. It was barely edible.

Their disaster continued with dessert. It was Blueberry and Frangipane Tart with Blueberry Ripple Ice Cream. The ice cream was made but they decided to again attempt to make their own pastry. It took them three hours to get it out and some were undercooked.

It must have been very late as the boys also took them over two hours between entree and main. David was happy and was sniping away saying he was starving and he had at least 17 glasses of win. Whilst Jessica the mum from South Australia said she was sick of what was coming out of David’s mouth, but at least David was talking unlike some of the other diners. As  the lingo goes the captain is “a hate watch”.

The three hour wait was not worth it with Manu saying the ice cream could be sweeter and Pete thought there was not enough blueberries in it.

The team scores:

Tas – 6

NSW – 5

SA – 5

WA – 3

Qld – 2

Total – 21

Manu gave the entree a seven, main a two, and dessert a three.

Pete gave the entree a seven, main a two, and dessert a two.

They scored a total of 44. They are now at the bottom of the scoreboard and at risk of elimination. David and Corinne are now safe and I am happy about that. If you can’t cook at least be entertaining, but the boys were just as bland as their dishes. At least we get see deluded David cook again and we will know if they can cook or if it is all ego.

By the way the recipes on the MKR website but why would I want to cook them? The South Australian mums are cooking tonight

1 Georgie { 02.13.14 at 7:02 am }

I’ll look out for that Sandii and I can recommend a blue stilton made by Long Clawson. It comes in a ceramic pot and is sold at Harris Farm stores. Delish!

2 Littlepetal { 02.13.14 at 7:04 am }

Cheese is playing a starring role this year. I wonder what other dishes will follow.

3 Littlepetal { 02.13.14 at 7:21 am }

Someone mentioned that Manu said a team cooked worse in the second time. Wonder which team? My guess it will be Capt.

4 Evan { 02.13.14 at 8:03 am }

Chloe/Kelly?
It would be poetic justice if those two completely blow the second chance lifeline they got.

Yes, there is a lot of cheese this year LOL
The 3 teams I like the most so far: Jason/Annie(Mr & Mrs Cheese), the Mums, and Harry/Christo(absolute gentlemen)
3 teams I dislike: Chloe/Kelly, Felix/Jess, Captain/Corinne

5 Lily { 02.13.14 at 9:21 am }

What did Jess say at the beginning, when they had all just sat down, that offended Harry & Christos? Something about a knife.

As nice at the Mums looked in their dresses, why would you wear a long dress while cooking.

RR, did you know that Aldi won several classes at last year’s Royal Easter Show with their cheeses. much to the chagrin of several smaller producers.

6 Sandii { 02.13.14 at 9:44 am }

When they sat down, Jess said to Harry that the Mums had put steak knives out. She said the boys should have put out steak knives as it was the only way they could cut the tough veal. It was a very snakey comment and the boys took it to heart.

7 Sandii { 02.13.14 at 9:45 am }

Georgie at 101. I will have a hunt for it, I love any sort of blue cheese.

8 Zhee { 02.13.14 at 9:48 am }

Does Aldi have all the stuff still on its palettes? That’s one of the reasons I don’t like it here in Germany/France. It always looks so messy. I had a look on the website of Aldi Australia. I am jealous. Yours looks so much cleaner and better. 😛

9 Lily { 02.13.14 at 10:04 am }

Thanks, Sandii.

Zhee, yes, everything is on palettes but for some reason (in my usual daze when shopping) I didn’t realise that they were until my partner pointed it out, and I had been shopping there for a couple of years. Trouble with Aldi is because some items are only available for a short period, other than groceries, I am inclined to impulse buy.

10 Reality Raver { 02.13.14 at 12:40 pm }

Sandi and Georgie – will check out those blues.

Lily – Indeed I did I like their “Wall of Cheese” as I call it. Can recommend the Persian Fetta, the goats cheese, the boccocini and their normal blue as well as their stilton. I am a huge fan of Aldi due to the same prices in EVERY store in Australia. Less products so quicker therefore cheaper to shop at. Also the hire full time and don’t have a casual work force like the other chains and were one of the first to have a paid maternity leave scheme. Alas I get sucked in by those weekly bargain bins. Currently looking at my new Egyptian Cotton Tea Towels and measuring cups and spoons, am contemplating going back for the mixing bowls.

11 Zhee { 02.14.14 at 7:14 am }

Hrhr, yeah, sometimes they have nice stuff. But I still guess that they have a better quality than in Germany or France. Aldi is actually known here for being a horrific place to work. It’s a lot of drill sergeant mentality. They need to be incredibly fast when working on the cash registers etc. They treat their employees pretty bad in general. Sounds good if they do better in Australia.

And yeah, those palettes… I love the French supermarket chain Monoprix. They are a bit pricey but they have an incredible range of food and homeware products. If I could I’d spent my monthly salary in Monoprix only. 😀

12 Olivia { 05.21.14 at 4:05 pm }

FYI, his Name is Christo… Not Christos :)