The Biggest Loser – Cam Leaves Because It Is Medically Unsafe For Him To Continue

The producers of The Biggest Loser want to make it very, very, very clear that Cam’s heart condition was not their fault.

Cameron had to leave the show after being diagnosed with Super Ventricular Tachycardia. He had chest pain and a stress test  showed he had Super Ventricular Tachycardia and more tests are required. Shannan kept on repeating it was an underlying previous condition to try to stem the criticism that the show pushes the obese contestants in a medically dangerous way. Clearly the cardiac checks they should have before the show starts missed it.

He was never going to be able to come back into the competition but they producers had an elimination episode they needed to deliver. So they made everyone do the weigh in and once the blue team lost Hayley told them they were all up for elimination. She added this would give the black team an opportunity for them to get rid of a threat then there was a close up of Cam. There was very little stress from the blue team about being nominated as they must have already known  they were all safe and they are not that good actors. There was an empty chair in the elimination room and Cam came in and gave his farewell speech, with Shannan giving his “it wasn’t us” lecture.

The other bit of drama on the show was Cal who had won temptation having to decide whether to take the $30,000 from the town kitty. He did and he made the right decision, considering the first prize is only $50,000. He has nearly won this amount in the third week. Sure it will put a target on his back but there was probably one there anyway.

Big Kev was back clearly because they needed a big contestant as most all but two are under 130 kgs. He left his series of The Biggest Loser weighing 198.6 kg and he weighed in at 185.9 kg and he had lost 12.7 kgs. It should be remembered this season was filmed very closely to the end of the his series hence what would seem like a small weight loss. To make him feel like he was a member of the Ararat community by giving the town kitty $300 per kilo he had lost. He raised over $3000 for Ararat.

Weigh in results for the black team were:

Craig – 170 kgs now 165.6kg loss of 4.4 kgs

Jane – 111.1 kg now 109.4 kg loss of 1.7 kgs

Tony – 114.7 kgs now 111.7 kgs loss of 3kgs

Caitlin – 124.9 kg now 122.2 kgs loss of 2.7kgs

Sharon 101.1 kgs  now 99.3 kgs loss of 1.8 kgs

Cal 122.1 kgs now 120.8 kgs loss of 1.3 kgs

Kerry 129.1 kgs now 124.6 kgs loss of 4.5 kgs

Black team 19.4 kgs a total of 2.22%.

Blue team weigh in results were:

Natalie – 111.6 kgs now 109.1 loss of 2.5 kg

Katrina 124.5 kg now 123.5 kg loss of 1 kg

Mary 170.4 kgs now 168.1 kgs loss of 2.3 kgs

Shannon 91 kgs now 89.1 loss of 1.9 kg

Cam 131.4 kg now 127.9 kg loss of 3.5 kgs

Matt 113.7 kgs now 112.3 kg loss of 1.4 kg.

Total loss of 12.6 kg and the blue team was up for elimination.

However Cameron was the one to leave as it was medically unsafe for him to continue.

The Biggest Loser on TEN – Thursday and Friday night at 7.30pm.

1 Rosie { 02.13.14 at 12:15 pm }

Oh puhleese! Now I didn’t watch this episode – in fact I stopped watching TBL a couple of years ago.

But as a retired critical care nurse I can tell you that SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) can most definitely be triggered by physical overexertion. Of the kind commonly used in TBL. So I would only be impressed had a doctor treating the feller said that, not an apologist for the show like Shannan given the heads up. What a load of bollocks!

2 seepi { 02.13.14 at 1:04 pm }

wow – mary is not much smaller than big kev – what did he start at? i wonder if he is short.

3 Joseph Skyrim { 02.13.14 at 2:11 pm }

I’ve actually changed my mind about Big Kev coming back in. With that money raising thing for the town, I don’t mind that he has returned. It will be interesting to see what transformation a second round of TBL will do for him.

Gotta feel bad for Cam though. He was going great guns and now he can’t even join Michelle’s secret Red team.

4 Dr T { 02.13.14 at 2:37 pm }

It depends what the underlying problem is with his heart, whether it was known about and whether it had caused any trouble in the past. He would have had an ECG (heart tracing) before going on the show which is about all the average GP would have done. He’s been supervised closely in his exercise, which is much more than the average person would be getting.

No point in doing stress tests etc on entering the show. None of those people would have been able to do any useful amount of exercise for stress testing when they entered the show anyway.

My complaint with the speed of weight loss is unattainable in the real world and sets a bad example for people trying to do it without the level of help and supervision available to the contestants

5 brain dead dave { 02.13.14 at 2:51 pm }

Why should a viewer believe $hannan Ponton after the shameless pimping for various snake oil products he’s done over the last few years?

He’s taking it up the Khyber Pass for $hine, no risk.

6 Gidgitvonlarue { 02.13.14 at 3:05 pm }

I’m burnt on this show after that ex contestant revealed all the secrets – plus they are crazy if they think it’s going to beat MKR and The Block in ratings. Emma nailed it – Ch 10 should be airing it at 7pm. Also I’ve watched a bit of it and I would like to know and see a LOT more of their daily eating ritual. Ok we all know what NOT to eat – but what are they actually eating/drinking for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think that is VITALLY important if this show exists to ‘encourage’ people to get fit and lose weight!!!

7 Fiona { 02.13.14 at 3:31 pm }

@Gidgitvonlarue Could not agree more with your last statement.

Anyone else a little sus on the weight loss this week compared to the first week. I mean the first week most people lost massive amounts of weight and this week some people only lost a little more than 1kg. I think the first week was perhaps longer like 14 days and the second week was probably around the 7 day mark.

@seepi Pretty sure kev was around the 250kg mark when he first started.

8 Calorie Loader { 02.13.14 at 4:11 pm }

I’ve stopped watching TBL over the last couple of weeks due to the amount of inconsistencies in what we see and what really goes on as pointed out by past contestants, plus the boredom of the same old format of ‘surprises’, weigh in ‘dramas’, eating contests, OTT training, lack of nutrition component as I’ve commented on previously, etc, etc.

When I saw this news about Cam though, I can’t help thinking back to week 1 where the trainers pushed them up the Grampians for their ‘warm up’ and Cam fell over a couple of times, struggling to get back up, fighting to get enough oxygen, and Shannon bearing down on him to ‘get up you lazy faggot’ or something to that effect. At the time I thought, here we go another contrived bit of over production, but clearly not. Problem is the trainers have always asserted there is nothing stopping you but your mind. Now we know there’s also quite valid reasons like a heart condition.

Trainers mentality- If it’s hurting, tough, if you’re still breathing then suck it up and do some more. Come on guys, it’s completely normal to pass out and vomit whilst training. Will this latest incident hurt their brand? I think so. Will it change the way they train them? I doubt it.

I’m not saying a heart condition wasn’t underling for Cam, but obviously it wasn’t a major problem before or he would never have gone on the show. The extent to which they push unfit obese people with a range of weight related health problems, some of which have never exercised in their life, is beyond a joke and bloody dangerous. Easy enough for the show to escape with knee or other joint injuries but they clearly don’t want to touch this one with a bargepole. Good luck fixing this one with a spot of Krill Oil.

9 Littlepetal { 02.13.14 at 5:09 pm }

Even an average person without weight problems will find the training tough. I also think sometimes they fudge the figures and fact. Like someone is running at a particular speed.

10 Lyn { 02.14.14 at 12:36 pm }

If biggest loser was serious about helping people change their lives by losing weight they should have kept him there. They could have shown him getting the help he needed with his heart and the diet and types of exercise he should be doing. Surely his condition would be better without the excess weight he’s carrying and showing how to manage health problems and still get fitter and healthier would be a better use of the program.
As it is they have basically thrown him out and implied that he is not worth saving and that’s wrong. Sure he can’t win, but he can just sit out the challenges and not be included in team weigh ins.

11 Dr T { 02.14.14 at 2:39 pm }

Lyn – I remember a few years ago there was someone in a similar situation with their heart in that they were limited to walking or something similar, and still managed to lose a stack of weight while on the show (they disqualified him from competing for the title to stop him for injuring himself)

12 brain dead dave { 02.14.14 at 2:49 pm }

Yes, they whacked a heart monitor on him and he was restricted mostly to walking.

Cam, well he’s been a softcock since day one this season.”Doing it for the kids”…… for all of three gut busting weeks.

Now the lame boo hoo back stories are being wheeled out and the trainers get to play act at being trauma counsellors. This show is sick…in the old school sense.

In a totally unpredictable turn of events,Big Kev will be next to have a medic emergency.Could have put next week’s rent on that.

13 Andrea { 02.14.14 at 4:09 pm }

Yes, I must agree, its hard going watching BL this time around.
Same old thing, and I’m not sure if I like everyone of them ( apart from Big Kev ) being from the same town.
They all like and know each other well so its probably harder to get the rivalries going like in previous series.

14 Gabby { 02.14.14 at 5:17 pm }

With all the change of times and the different shows clashing, I have been missing some episodes. Did that guy on the black team end up taking the money or not?

15 daisy { 02.14.14 at 5:38 pm }

Hey Doc T. Good IYATO this week. It was a repeat but I hadn’t seen it. First time I had seen the painful, poomvy girl get picked. (Poomvy was granny’s made up words for people like that). Baby talk was only allowed for babies. And it was exciting the guy getting the girl his heart was set on.

16 Andrea { 02.14.14 at 5:49 pm }

Gabby, yes he did, and good luck to him, the winning prize is only $50,000 anyway so he might as well, and as he said, there is time to make up the money again.

17 Calorie Loader { 02.14.14 at 7:43 pm }

You’re kidding Daisy. Hard to believe anyone would find that attractive. I’m afraid you’ll have to specify which poomvy as there is more than one. Was it the Thai Ninga Turtle fanatic or the initial poomvy (#15?) that accused the host Meng Fei of not looking at her enough (not the contestants…awkward!!) 😮

18 daisy { 02.14.14 at 7:55 pm }

It was Braids Calorie Girl. But he didn’t choose her in the end. She lives to “goo goo” another day. I don’t even know why she kept her light on because he made it clear he wanted someone who wanted to go back-packing. It was a top priority. And she didn’t want to go anywhere. She wasted his time.

One Poomvy is enough for now and anyway I think “Goo Goo Girl” sums it up, as does Thai girl.

19 Dr T { 02.14.14 at 8:07 pm }

I can’t work out which girls you are talking about. The current #15 is as thick as a plank. Is Mandarin not her first language, or is she just backwards?

I’m kinda sad for #24 (Olympic Kayaker) that she never got a date, she seemed pretty level headed compared to alot of the girls

Thai Ninja Turtle (#13) is not on the current episodes. Don’t know if you guys caught the episode where she revealed she’d been a victim of domestic violence…

20 Littlepetal { 02.14.14 at 8:13 pm }

I have watched this episode. #15 really make me mad. She speaks like a spoilt toddler and asked stupid question. Even Meng Fei is biting his tougue to tolerate her. Good luck to anyone who pick her!!!

I like the kayaker. I have a feeling SBS don’t air the shows in sequence. Some episodes you see some of the girls and then the next night, they are not there and then they appear again.

21 daisy { 02.14.14 at 8:14 pm }

Dr T think baby talk for Poomvy.
I think it is probably number 15. She’s acting dumb and babyish. She often wears braids down each side of her head, puts her chin down and talks slowly. And Meng usually acts a bit long-suffering with her.

22 Dr T { 02.14.14 at 8:18 pm }

LP – I’ve seen the episode where the Kayaker says goodbye at the end – she definitely didn’t get a date on the show. And it was kind of annoying because they let her speak just after a new candidate came out, so pretty much all the attention was on her and not the candidate – the poor bastard didn’t stand a chance (actually, he probably didn’t stand a chance anyway)

Still can’t get over the manky toothed 40 year old picking up the 24(?) year old early education teacher for his school… that was weeeeeeird

23 Littlepetal { 02.14.14 at 8:23 pm }

Was there another athlete on the show? I think she was a rower and did get a date.

24 Dr T { 02.14.14 at 8:31 pm }

Yeah, there was a rower who I do vaguely remember getting a date and she was in #24 spot as well

25 daisy { 02.14.14 at 8:40 pm }

No Littlepetal, the tall rower got no date. She left a couple of weeks ago.

There was a guy this week, I think last night who had heaps of lights on until his friends spoke up for him. Yikes.

Maybe they have certain spots for certain types because they seem to keep putting really good looking ones on 12.

26 Calorie Loader { 02.14.14 at 8:50 pm }

DrT, I’ve missed a couple of weeks now that ratings are back on so who I know as #15 may have moved on but who you’ve described does sound like the one I know to be 15 😛

Typical though, from a bunch of people who have a penchant for NOT picking one another, I thought it was a sure thing the cast had stayed the same. Clearly things have moved on (or as LP said they’re shuffling eps). Never seen a girl with braids. Missed the domestic violence episode Dr T AND the one where the stunning #14 gets rejected!! Getting a date on IYATO at times seems harder than breeding pandas.

27 Dr T { 02.14.14 at 8:54 pm }

CL – they’re juggling episodes – currently playing old ones (a few of which I’ve missed). Chubby rejecting 14 was the last of the recent episodes to be played before they started replaying. Stunning #14 (Wu Jiao) is on later episodes than are being shown at the moment

#15 with braids is on at the moment(she only has one or two braids on each side – she doesn’t look like she’s taken a trip to Jamaica or Bali) – when they throw to her she takes ages to say anything, trips over her words, gets confused by the questions and forgets what she wanted to ask or say.

Still waiting for my #19 with black bean sauce

God I love IYATO

28 Calorie Loader { 02.14.14 at 9:06 pm }

Thanks DrT, good to know they’re shuffling and I’m not losing the plot…well that’s up for debate. Replacing a rower with a champion kayaker would just be the Chinese screwing with us.

Don’t know #19. I’ll have to try and catch a couple of eps next week!!

I didn’t see the ep but I still can’t believe someone rejected #14 esp from someone with a nickname like that (but I’m only going off a very superficial level here from what I’m seeing on the show. She could be a bitch. He could be a keeper).

On #15 ROFL, yes that has to be her. How many others could tick all those boxes? Like you say as it wasn’t Bali braiding, I probably just overlooked them.

29 Gabby { 02.14.14 at 9:09 pm }

Thanks Andrea. Not sure how he will be welcomed back in to Ararat. How did the rest of the contestants take it, were they dirty with him?

30 Dr T { 02.14.14 at 9:16 pm }

#19 with black bean sauce isn’t on IYATO – from my local Chinese Restaurant – MSG free since Oct 2013

31 daisy { 02.14.14 at 9:25 pm }

CL the flat, woven in against the head braids. Not plaits.

Me too Doc T. One night Littlepetal, Calorie, you and I should order Chinese take away (pick our favourite number from the menu and see what we get) and watch IYATO with fortune a fortune cookie.
We’d have to synchronize watches though.

Dr T I thought your fav was 14 with the red lips.

32 Dr T { 02.14.14 at 9:28 pm }

Yeah – of the most recent episodes 14 was my favourite (Wu Jiao)…

33 daisy { 02.14.14 at 9:56 pm }

I’ll ring the Chinese restaurant an order a 12.

34 Littlepetal { 02.14.14 at 9:59 pm }

Can I order a Thai takeaway instead? I never like the Chinese Takeaway as they are not very Chinese.

35 daisy { 02.14.14 at 10:02 pm }

Are you sure Littlepetal.? She’s a very sweet dish.

36 Dr T { 02.14.14 at 10:04 pm }

Thai is #13… but I’m not sure what sauce to pair with turtle meat

37 Littlepetal { 02.14.14 at 10:11 pm }

I must find a Chinese Takeaway with Peking Duck!

38 Calorie Loader { 02.14.14 at 11:34 pm }

LOL Dr T. I thought maybe #19 with black bean sauce was a hidden ref to one of the girls I don’t know.

Mmm, yummy, you guys have made me want Chinese takeaway now. LP, my local Chinese has Peking duck but will only serve it in a sit down banquet. I said, ‘but I just want the duck’ … ‘sorry, you can’t have…no soup for you!’. 😈
Great idea Daisy@31-let’s hope #14 isn’t duck. 😉

39 daisy { 02.15.14 at 12:10 am }

I am thinking hubby might include Peking duck for family tea this week. He also makes a really good red bbque pork.

But I think he is also going to try a tofu recipe 😉

40 twitter.com { 03.09.14 at 12:30 am }

I will immediately grab your rss as I can’t find your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service.
Do you’ve any? Kindly let me recognize in order that I could subscribe.
Thanks.

41 Anonymous { 08.10.14 at 2:28 pm }

You’re a really helpful web site; couldn’t make it without ya!|
[url=http://www.bionorth.co.uk/store.asp?b=cl-uk&tag=christian-louboutin-outlet-sale][/url]