My Kitchen Rules – Jess And Felix

Jess and Felix imploded last night on My Kitchen Rules in their Baroque Haus instant restaurant. She ended up wailing “But I really thought I was a great cook”. Maybe the Western Australia pair can, but she should not be allowed to invent a recipe. Had she even cooked the Confit of Duck Cigars with Margaret River Brie with a Cherry and Shiraz sauce before? Surely if they had they would have known the duck breast was not going to work out.

By the time it had finished the breast had looked grey then it was being wrapped up in filo with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. If that was not enough brie was placed on top to be melted. David from Queensland nailed it when he said it looked like an enchilada.

They were trying for too complex dishes and it is not a diving competition you don’t get extra points for difficulty or technique. Jess was showing her control freak side in the prep and they seemed to have a plan it just was not a good one.

As the oven would have had to be on a low temperature for the confit this meant the chocolate shortbread for the dessert of mint slice had to be cooked first. Therefore the pork belly was not in the oven for long enough and it was undercooked. Felix knew there were problems and tried to get around it early by taking off the pork fat to cook separately but neither seemed to realise how tough it was.

Jess was in a rush to get the entree out as soon as the judges arrived when she should have cooked it for another half an hour. In fact if you are late with dishes there does not appear to be too much of a penalty.

The pork was inedible but when she heard the crackle as they cut it she had a big smile on her face and it got bigger when Pete Evans said he like it when there are three ingredients on a plate that can shine. But he followed this with “and this was not the case here”. It was the biggest facedrop ever. In fact if I could do GIF’s I would have done one.

However the entree did showcase an interesting apple and pea puree as well as a nice apple cider sauce. Not sure what the two ways of pork..

Main was just inedible and Pete said it was the worst dish served on the series and gave it a one. Manu thought there were too many ingredients on the plate. It is a pity they did not just pan fry the duck breast and serve it with the sauce.

Jess and Felix redeemed themselves with dessert though Manu thought the Macadamia praline melted on the plate but the Mint Slice was great. Interesting that Manu only scored it one point more then some desserts that he heavily criticised.

The scores were:

NSW – 4

Tas – 4

Vic – 3

SA – 6

Qld – 3

Total of 20.

Manu gave a four for entree, two for main, a six for dessert and Pete gave the entree a three, a one for main, a seven for dessert. Jess and Felix are now out of the competition.

Unfortunately we now have to watch Harry the catastrophe cook again. Hopefully Christos will just put him in a corner and not let him do anything. He just does not seem real bright. Harry describes himself as an entrepreneur but is that a term Gen Y’s use when they are unemployable? Gen X’s say they are currently freelancing or a consultant when that is their work status.

The Vic boys will be cooking against David and Corinne, Chloe and Kelly in a instant restaurant round with the three teams of gate crashers and there looks like more interesting characters to talk about. Hopefully we will see some better cooking this round as Uel and Shanelle can thank their lucky stars they are safe on a paltry 53 points!

1 techhater { 02.17.14 at 10:01 pm }

Didn’t mum and daughter say they weren’t there to make friends.

I thought the girls did really well tonight.

And Kelly and Chloe tomorrow, that should be fun.

2 Andrea { 02.17.14 at 10:03 pm }

I agree LP, they were looking down their high and mighty noses at everyone and made such a fuss over the missing fork.
And they scored quite low as well.

3 Littlepetal { 02.17.14 at 10:08 pm }

I think Anna is trying to portray to Australian that she know her food. She is a writer on a food website. You can say she is a food critic.

Will be interesting to see how she react to the critique from the judges.

4 Marie { 02.17.14 at 10:10 pm }

Baroque? More like Ba-roken. Jess was delusional about her knowledge and abilities (not to mention sense of historical accuracy but that is a gripe for another day).

5 brain dead dave { 02.17.14 at 10:16 pm }

Pete’s a food critic and he’s positively skeletal. It just makes Kelly look an even bigger bitch to sledge the daughter food critic for being so skinny.

Jack would still have been in mid primary school in 1969 btw and probably had tasted little more than Vegemite sangers.

Hope you got some good rain out there,techhater.

6 Roo { 02.17.14 at 10:16 pm }

Yay. How nice to watch two girls support each other; get on with tge job and just enjoy the experience without being bitchy. What a nice change I have a favorite team now. In fact all the gate crashers look more competant than the hangers on.

7 daisy { 02.17.14 at 10:36 pm }

Jess and Felix were on Today Tonight, still loudly claiming to be “amazing cooks”.
For amazing cooks they didn’t have much idea of flavour. The brie on the duck cigars isn’t something an amazing cook would do imo.
I don’t consider myself an amazing cook but I know how to eat and I wouldn’t like to have eaten that.

And anyone who says “We’re not here to make friends…..blah blah blah” has to be reading rom the script, surely.

8 techhater { 02.17.14 at 10:55 pm }

BDD Not a lot here yet. But other places that needed it more have had some good falls. Forecast is at least a week of rain as the low stalls. Thanks for asking.

I saw Jess minus Felix on Sunrise this morning and she still didn’t impress me. Glad she’s gone.

Roo I quite agree about the girls tonight. So far I like SA mums, the twins and tonight’s girls

9 daisy { 02.17.14 at 11:29 pm }

Oh dear on the ‘jus’ snob. “Did he say gravy???”

How did we survive 40 years without jus? Oh we didn’t.
“Jus” – a thin gravy of sauce.

10 Littlepetal { 02.17.14 at 11:36 pm }

daisy, you covered everything with the statement:
“Jus” – a thin gravy of sauce.

So it is a sauce or sores, gravy or jus. I would call it a juice.

11 daisy { 02.17.14 at 11:44 pm }

Ooops, I meant to write gravy or sauce.

I am guessing jus is French for juice littlepetal.

And you’re right, Littlepetal. I’m not into the positivity “say, it you’ll get it” belief but I can’t complain about these two girls. I liked the more grounded Tresne, They were both OK girls. Kelly and Chloe have ramped up the villainy.
And I think I know what happened to the girl’s fork. I think the mum was sitting on it. She had something up her bum.

12 brain dead dave { 02.17.14 at 11:44 pm }

Foodies=wankers.

I just “drizzled” myself a drink.

Whoever “dies for” a plate of food?

13 daisy { 02.17.14 at 11:49 pm }

Jack made me laugh when he said juss and freaked everyone out and then said, ooowaaa ‘gravy’. And stuck up Mother nearly faints.

14 anonymous { 02.17.14 at 11:54 pm }

I remember when drizzling meant light rain.

I feel might need a drizzle in a minute.

15 brain dead dave { 02.18.14 at 12:01 am }

Yes, that was a Cranberry jus and mineral water I just drizzled btw. I’m not on the sauce.

16 techhater { 02.18.14 at 12:10 am }

Daisy It’s been “drizzling” here for the past couple of days.

17 daisy { 02.18.14 at 12:14 am }

Enjoy your drizzles, all of you.

BDD looks like no more Judge Ross or 48 hrs atm.

18 Zhee { 02.18.14 at 2:14 am }

@sarnias, (28) – Did I miss that part with all contestants having a chance in Colin’s Scumback Kitchen? Thought only those who enter the HQ rounds will be eligible.

Anyways, how wonderful. Byebye Jess “Da Puddingface who traveled the world twice”. And /ha ha to Matt Preston jr. I am a good cook too. Totally. I can burn noodle water. I can combine ketch up with noodles. I can also make a dish out of frog legs cooked in chlorine water served with a jus d’orange and blackened asparagus.

19 daisy { 02.18.14 at 2:53 am }

Zhee, I am confused. I thought it was the smiling joker faced Kelly who has been to 42 countries. But I can see pudding face in Jess and Felix both.

Watched another cleverly funny 30 Rock tonight. Love the jokes and the scenarios. Tracy has some great lines.

20 Zhee { 02.18.14 at 3:18 am }

Daisy, Jess mentioned it in the promos that she bought her house and she traveled the world twice… But then she talked so much, I nearly lost track.

Yeps, I will watch some 30Rock tonight. I am already in love with Avery Jessup.
Currently I am watching “Shopping Queen”. Don’t know why, it’s a stupid German TV show with 5 women per week who shop for a motto. That’s the stupid part, but then there is a German designer called Guido Maria Kretschmar who’s very eloquent, down to earth, judging those women. Not in a mean and hurtful way, but with witty and honest remarks. It’s my sister’s fault, she got me hooked during my last vacation in Germany. The rest of the German reality TV is pure horror. There is a show about some loser celebrities put into a camp in Australia’s outback. Unfortunately the get not eaten by crocodiles or dingos. Then there is a rip off of American Idol with a wannabe Simon Cowell called Dieter Bohlen. If there is an 80s fan among you, you might remember the band Modern Talking. If not, press my name above. Enjoy that abomination! The blonde, extremely stupid looking guy is the wannabe Simon. He is also famous for banging women with big fake tits and he wrote a book about the day his girl broke his penis during sexy time.
Oh well, I nearly forgot to mention Heidi Klum and Germany’s next Top Model which is quite entertaining at times. But I usually stop watching when the got rid of most of the girls.

21 daisy { 02.18.14 at 3:32 am }

I was looking for another Next top model show to replace Britain’s.
Thanks for that Zhee. I was going to dl, France or Italy’s. We get some others like Aussie and NZ but they’re a bit daggy compared tothe European shows.
Yeah Avery is funny. So is the boss. And Liz Lemon.

22 daisy { 02.18.14 at 3:35 am }

Zhee the others are all asleep but we Westies are between two and three hours behind them so it’s 12.30 am here but or some it’s 3.30am.

23 Zhee { 02.18.14 at 3:56 am }

Yeps and you already have the 18th. :O So weird. And even weirder: You are having summer now. While we still haven’t entered spring yet.
GNTM actually has some pretty looking girls this year – but it’s in German so it might be hard to understand. Plus, they have extended the format to 90 minutes per episode after its first season. Unfortunately only one model really had some international success (she left the show during the 3rd season). The rest was handed over back to reality or other trashy reality TV shows.

24 Sandii { 02.18.14 at 7:10 am }

BDD! I hate it when they say the food is to ” die for”.

25 ann { 02.18.14 at 7:53 pm }

MKR is certainly interesting this season! Thought the girls did a good job. Noticed the skanks were behaving (i.e. Kelly & Chloe – aka horse and hyena) and am very interested in what the “lady of the manor” and her daughter serve on their night. Sounds like they know their food!

26 Morgan { 02.19.14 at 9:05 am }

Nothing more satisfying than seeing someone who talked themselves up and being highly critical of everything only to be revealed they cannot cook themselves. A classic MKR trope.

But I cannot comprehend how the judges liked their dessert, or how the mums gave them a 6.