So You Think You Can Dance Australia – The Top 20 However Their Was Some Hi-Jinks First

The top 20 dancers have been picked but last night the over the top manufacturing of drama detracted from the talent and showed lack of respect for the contestant and the viewer.

It was half way through the episode and the judges selected dance captains. Then the captains had to select the dancers they wanted in their groups. When there were six dancers left sitting on the seats. It was then announced that the other dancers had selected who were next to go home and the six were sent off and as expected they were hysterical as were the other dancers on stage.

It was clearly an unfair decision to ensure there tears all around and also it just seemed weird. But hang on judge Paula Abdul decides she needs to and comfort and then what is in a clearly scripted moment she gives a little speech saying to them this sort of stuff happens as a dancer all the time and sometime there won’t be a reason. She then says that they deserve a second chance and they will be a secret group themselves. Do they really think the viewer is that stupid and just made me very annoyed?

Was this “scene” a way of giving Paula Abdul some screen time because at the moment she is just bring her superstar status to the judging table and not much else. In fact the other judges Shannon, Aaron and Jason seem to be getting more airtime. Hopefully this will all change next week when the live shows start.

Of course when the secret group came out there was again some manufactured drama to go with it. The last group of four dancers were told there were only three places left but now there were six “eliminated” contestants had formed a group and would be competing.

In the end they put through 33 to the top 30.

There are other bits of over the top manipulation designed to get emotional responses out of the dancers.  Phillip was told his girlfriend Holly was cut before he danced so he was teary and Jason Gilkison gave him an emotional motivational speech. He did not get through either.

What was good about the episode is we finally got to see how talented these dancers are and that his what will shine and hopefully next week when the live shows start particularly with a live performance by Robbie Williams people will tune in.

Other highlights of the episode:

• Daria who is not my favourite being treated pretty shabbily. First told she did not have a partner for the ballroom as a male dancer had quit the competition. It was unclear who.  She was told a male dancer would have to dance twice once with his original partner and once with her as she rehearsed by herself in the wings. Then half way through rehearsal they brought back Jay a tap hip hop person who had been eliminated. Thankfully after the judges put in another manufactured twist of swapping partners around 15 minutes before performance she was told she did not have to swap. However after all that she was told she did not shine and was culled.
  • Jason Gilkison showed why he is such a great choreographer as his cha cha danced by Robbie season three winner was fantastic;
  • The Lauren/Hannah sister subplot continued about who would get in and in the end unsurprisingly Lauren got into the top 20. However it was only last night that it was revealed Hannah’s boyfriend was also competing but they did not focus on that.
  • When the staged partner swap in the ballroom section occurred Thabang managed to get his former ballroom partner, needless to say they shined, whereas contemporary dancer Kenny was paired with a girl a foot taller then him. Needless to say they were eliminated.
  • The top 33 showed there were some amazing dancers in there. More tears when Yukino told she was dancing with a teddy bear as it signified hope as she thought she had lost her sister in the Japanese earthquake. There were many shots of her teared up sister in the audience.
  • In a coming up section Jordan was shown to be having difficulties with his diabetes and told he cannot dance, however that plot line was not elaborated on and he was in the top 20. Did I miss something?
  • It is interesting to see only two ballroom dancers in the top twenty and also 16 of the 20 dancers are from NSW.

Meet the Top 20 dancers are:

Ashleigh Tavares (Jazz, 20, NSW)

Blond (Urban, 31, NSW)

Eden Petrovski (Contemporary, 20, NSW)

Chris Tsattalios (Jazz, 21, NSW)

Kathaleen Fisher (Ballroom, 19, NSW)

Jay Johns (Urban, 21, NSW)

Lauren Seymour (Urban, 22, NSW)

Joel Rasmussen (Urban, 27, QLD)

Maddie Peat (Contemporary, 19, NSW)

Jordan Turner (Contemporary, 20, NSW)

Nadiah Idris (Urban, 26, VIC)

Michael Dameski (Contemporary, 18, NSW)

Renelle Jones (Jazz, 23, QLD)

Patric Kuo (Urban, 20, NSW)

Sally Hare (Urban, 28, NSW)

Sam Malseed (Contemporary, 18, SA)

Yukino McHugh (Urban, 20, NSW)

Stephen Perez (Jazz, 21, NSW)

Zoey Black (Jazz, 23, NSW)

Thabang Baloyi (Ballroom, 21, NSW)

The live shows start Sunday on TEN at 6.30pm the first one will have Robbie Williams as a special guest.

1 Ari { 02.17.14 at 10:07 am }

Love the season so far! Definitely an improvement, and definitely better dancers imo. Sad to see Julian and Mischka go, but I guess they weren’t good enough for the cut. And I’m gonna miss Julian and his sensitive cuteness unf.

Favourites so far:
Patric – cute and has a great personality, his routine last night was my favourite. I think I’m in love with him.

Yukino – loved her routine.

Blond – such a great guy! I just hope he improves in couples dancing.

Chris – just something about him being overweight and now fit and healthy I find inspiring.

2 TickledPink { 02.17.14 at 11:43 am }

I can’t believe they made those poor 6 dancers cry like that, my heart sank and I just felt like they were ripped off.. I’m glad they were given a second chance

3 Evan { 02.17.14 at 12:02 pm }

The ratings are terrible, how long before Channel 10 shifts this to ELEVEN?

4 Mel { 02.17.14 at 1:54 pm }

The show is a mess. It does seem to be getting a little better each episode but the blatant and unnecessary manipulation of the drama is dreadful. The dancers seem to be great so if there was more actual dancing and less actual drama that might be good. Hopefully it will improve once the actual voting shows start. I was a huge fan of this show in its last incarnation, but both versions seem to have a problem with it’s female judging cast. Paula Abdul is not much better than that weird Bonnie lady. Carrie is doing her wonderful best to keep it altogether, but not given enough screen time. Also makes you realise what a skill it must be to keep your comments vague enough that they could go either way – none of these guys can do that.

5 Georgie { 02.17.14 at 2:06 pm }

Wow, top 20 and 16 are from NSW. It must be the state of dancers!

6 brain dead dave { 02.17.14 at 2:54 pm }

So You Think You Can Cry.

7 daisy { 02.17.14 at 2:55 pm }

Are you watching the Olympic ice skating? Dancing plus!

8 Andrea { 02.17.14 at 3:10 pm }

Every time I turn on the Olympics its always snowboarding, skiing, luge. When is the ice skating/dancing on?

9 Mouse { 02.17.14 at 5:54 pm }

Typical NSW commercial dance bias.

10 Eliza { 02.19.14 at 1:10 am }

I agree about the over the top drama.. Making sure the bf and gf couples are together, then pairing the bf with another ‘hot’ blonde that is a ‘friend’ of the gf to try and make her jealous. Then there’s the ex gfs and bfs.. let’s put them together too. Oh and the sisters and the lesbian couple that look the same. It never ended! More dancing please!

I do enjoy this show though and hope they stick with it and don’t shift it to eleven. I am quite liking the judging panel and do hope it gets better with the live shows.

It had been rather obvious all along who they were going to pick for the top 20, with a few less focused on people also being selected.

11 daisy { 02.19.14 at 1:20 am }

Eliza, have you been catching the Olympic ice-skating. Breathtaking.
I did ballet for many years but now I think if I was young again, I would have to add ice-skating.
I rec lots of WO and then ff to make sure I catch the ice-skating.

12 Calorie Loader { 02.19.14 at 3:44 am }

As a non dancer, I’m loving watching these guys and think they all look amazing!!! HOWEVER I agree with everyone on the over-dramatised bollocks. :roll:

RR, you didn’t really miss anything with Jordan. Ten have been pumping their promos full of Carrie telling Jordan the paramedics say he can’t dance-firstly as IF the paramedics would examine him and then speak to Carrie about it alone so she can deliver the news. Then we have the booming voice over, ‘what will happen when he dances anyway?’ If I’m not mistaken all that happened is he acted as a wall flower in the group dance (the one who had the drawn on mo and stripy shorts that fell down in a comedy segment). A smart move I thought, and glad he wasn’t punished for his condition.

What they did with the fake cut to those not popular enough to be chosen for a team a-trocious!!! Not that I’m in the dancing world, but when on earth would that ever happen in reality? Yes, there are lots of good dancers and not everyone can get the part, and it might not always make sense but being chopped for not being team picked by team captains??? Releasing that wrecking ball, watching them fall to pieces and then giving them the task whilst they are emotionally wrecked to witness a messy outcome for viewing pleasure-sick joke by Ch10.

Why the need for any of these shows to continually manufacture and manipulate the truth? Any instance where there is a high stakes competition filled with passionate, emotion filled, stressed contestants out to prove themselves will surely have enough drama unfolding quite unassisted?

I’m not familiar with the other judges but I’m liking Paula as a judge. She seems much less boozy than her idol days and truly moved by the dancing.

On Carrie, I’ve never seen this stage of the comp before so not sure how things usually go, but is anyone else finding her a bit superfluous? It’s especially irritating when someone’s mid dance and they cut to her in the wings saying, ‘just amazing!’ -yeah, it’d be great if we could watch interrupted.

13 Eliza { 02.20.14 at 12:53 am }

Daisy, I have been guilty of ignoring the Olympics :/ I do like the aerial skiing.. very impressive. I would be a TERRIBLE ice skater.. I can’t even stand up in roller blades :(

I was actually just joking tonight that I wished I was a ballet dancer. I am the complete opposite. I am more along the lines of Lauren in build. I have been asked a number of times in the past if I am a hip hop dancer. Maybe it was my true calling and I missed it?

I agree, CL.. one would think there was enough drama already without the constant manipulation!

14 daisy { 02.20.14 at 1:14 am }

I know Eliza, I remember the “scuttling”.

But you don’t need to be tall to be a good dancer.

15 Calorie Loader { 02.20.14 at 3:22 am }

Eliza @ 13, completely understand where you’re coming from on the body shape. I too do not have a ballet dancer’s body but I was really pleased that they picked Lauren over her younger, taller, skinnier and leaner built sister who has the more typical dancer’s body, and who I was expecting them to choose based on precedent.
I like Lauren, she seems down to earth, is more relateable in body terms to the general population, and combined with her skills she makes it work in her favour-like one of the judges said she’s so strong. She doesn’t need to apologise for her shape-she was so uncomfortable-almost apologetic- when blonde could not catch her in the couples round-not her fault!

16 daisy { 02.20.14 at 4:32 am }

Girls, I had a ballet teacher for my first three years of ballet who by today’s standards especially, would be considered short and slightly stocky. She was a brilliant dancer and got great roles.
Again, you don’t need to be tall and thin. In fact sometimes it helps not to be lanky. You get good balance when you have a low cg.

17 calorie loader { 02.20.14 at 5:00 am }

Thanks for that Daisy, that’s so refreshing to hear :p

18 Littlepetal { 02.20.14 at 8:48 am }

Finally they are going to shift the Sun airtime to 7.30pm but its not this Sun. When a program keep changing the airtime, it will lose viewers,

19 Eliza { 02.21.14 at 1:56 am }

Shorties can be good at anything! Although I really don’t have good balance given my extremely low cg.. haha

Agree, I was glad they chose Lauren too, CL. She is really good though so there would have been something seriously wrong with them if they didn’t choose her! Strong is good. I can out push-up (full ones) most taller girls because strength + shorter limbs makes it easier to be stronger. I get strong really easily (my brother tells me I can lift a barbell as heavy as some guys!) but grace will never be my forte. I think we will always want what we can’t have.

LP, it is not on this Sunday? I think my Foxtel recorder thinks it’s on this Sun at 7:30?!

20 LittlePetal { 02.21.14 at 8:05 am }

Sorry everyone. It is 7.30pm this Sun but not sure what time next Sun

21 daisy { 02.21.14 at 9:40 am }

MorningLittlepetal. Have a lovely day :)

22 Littlepetal { 02.21.14 at 10:49 am }

You too, Ms daisy

23 Shazzy { 03.30.14 at 6:04 pm }

Fantastic dancing. I am loving the dancingBUT Carrie is the worst host ever. Her lack of knowledge about dancing, makes her look an idiot. PLEASE get anew host, someone who has some dancing knowledge