The Block – Marital Breakdown Amongst The Renovating Stress

It is not surprising  The Block puts a strain on marital relations when they are on the show together but it also occurs when they are not.

News confirmed today is Lysandra has separated from her husband and is seeing another guy in Melbourne. You have to wonder if she met him when she was filming The Block Sky High or more recently. News.com.au who are referring to a New Idea article say the decision was not mutual and he was not happy about the break-up.

Lysandra’s husband last year looked after two kids under three and worked full time whilst she was on The Block. Now that would be tough. The good news was it was worth it in the end as the twins won nearly $400,000 so it was worth it financially.

Another relationship New Idea are reporting as under strain is Steve and Chantelle’s. Little wonder as Steve does not look like he is coping at all. He is barely smiling or speaking. Chantelle is over compensating by remaining bright and bubbly and enthusiastic. It is no surprise to hear they are on a break after a nasty fight just weeks into filming of the show. You could see even on tonight’s episodel he was on edge. When they were in the car coming back from the room judging he snapped at her and told her she was shouting.

The other couple that is said to be kaput is Maddie and Jarrod. The magazine is trying to say it is shocking news, but seriously the pair would not even look at each other at The Block auction day last year and it was rumoured they had busted up then.

This week on The Block the teams have to renovate an upstair bedroom. This should give them some breathing space to finishing the common area downstairs as their deadline to complete this is this week. Chantelle and Steve did not even bother coming down for most of it and Keith was scathing saying they were out of their depth. They said they were only responsible for the tiles and furnishings so that would all occur later in the week.

Dale and Brad were on a high because they won the bathroom this week. I still need convincing about an outdoor shower in Melbourne. It seems to me it would a novelty you would use once or twice. The twins were criticised for theirs.

Steve and Chantelle’s outdoor space was the nicest with the Dux Theatre painted on the bricks. They were criticised for not being high-end enough, however I thought the clothes hanger was pretty practical. Chantelle was just happy being a point behind Lysandra and Alisa the bathroom queens.

Kyal and Kara’s space got hammered. The shower was far too small and the terrace felt tiny and uncomfortable not helped by there only being a plank of wood to sit on. The producers must have thought the fan teams needed some guidance so the judge Darren Palmer gave them a masterclass in styling and to be honest his bedroom did not look that great.

However the fans were inspired so maybe they will improve this week.

The Block Fans V Favourites weeknights on NINE at 7.30pm.

1 Maz { 02.18.14 at 12:24 am }

Scores for the bathroom/laundry
D,S,N
CS 7.5+7+7=21.5
KK 6.5+6+6=18.5
AL 8+7+7=22
BD 9.5+9+9.5=28

I didn’t care for either of the Fans’ space. I simply do not understand the logic of having a laundry and bathroom in one small space.
Didn’t like that Dux painting on CS’s wall and S really has to give up the Reject Shop Furniture. But points for actually putting up some semblance of a clothes line.

Don’t get the outdoor shower either (unless of course cash up bogans are just weird or its something from FSOG??). Other thing that annoyed me was the Japanese Maples in tiny pots. Points should be deducted for using plants that have no chance of surviving.

I think they gave the win to the boys in expectation that in the coming weeks their chances of winning is zilch.

As to the Masterclass with Darren Palmer…oh boy…things must be grim. The pile of books stacked looked like it was sourced from the local Salvos and I hate those low hanging lights.

It was wrong of the Block producers to put an inexperience couple on this year’s block as it is not of the ‘let’s decorate this week’s room’ type variety.

2 brain dead dave { 02.18.14 at 12:32 am }

How desperate/drunk would you have to be to shag one of those twins?

3 TV { 02.18.14 at 2:35 am }

Haha BDD 😉 they drive me crazy! Didn’t like them last season don’t like them now! Thanks for the goss RR.

The bit about the block I’m bored with at the moment, is that everyone’s apartments look the same. Black/grey tiles/glass/wood/token greenery, lather, rinse, repeat.

Maz – couldn’t agree more re Darren’s books. I thought they looked terrible! Like books you pick up at a garage sale because they’re trashy, easy reads and cost a dollar! So strange……

4 Zhee { 02.18.14 at 7:56 am }

What’s up with Chantelle’s Napoleon Dynamite’s Deb style? My hair looked like that when I was… 8?

The bathrooms were okay. None really blew me away, but out of the 4, D&B’s looked the best.

@bdd, I have seen worse women like the twins. I mean if the guy is really desperate or just escaped the catholic church’s celibacy, the twins are totally fine.

That apartment presented by that dummy judge was so lifeless. Who would really want to live in that. Styled the way we saw on TV?
And Neale, I appreciate that he learned a new word this year: Claustrophobic. Congratulations!

5 Gabby { 02.18.14 at 8:38 am }

Cannot believe these people, their life changes in some way, their partner does the right thing by them and wham bam, what do they do, throw them in for a new model. No respect.
Sorry RR, please excuse my ignorance but FSOG? I tried to work it out but failed miserably.
K & K were right to come last in bathrooms, they will be desperate to get this bedroom right.
Who in their right minds would build an outdoor shower in Melbourne. I think the boys hit the nail on the head when they said it will definitely take dollars off girls apartment at auction time only having three indoor shower, not that the girls will admit this.
Steve and Chantelle definitely over their heads, Steve seems to wander around all day, haven’t really seen him do any real work. He is not one of Keith’s favourite people.
Overall I am a bit disappointed in The Block this year. Quite boring so far.
TH, have you had any inside goss from your old neighbours?

6 Zhee { 02.18.14 at 9:07 am }

It should be quite easy to fix the outdoor shower the twins have. They could build a roof out of glass, put the screens over it. Solved. I loved the screen to be honest. But the rest wasn’t great in the twinsies powder room. On the other hand their space was really tiny. I couldn’t see a shower fit in there.

7 drb123 { 02.18.14 at 9:12 am }

BDD @ 2 – not even to cure cancer

8 Gin { 02.18.14 at 9:40 am }

I want to know if the tattoo dale got on brad bucks was real. Seriously? A tattoo of a bathtub and a crown?

9 PollyB { 02.18.14 at 9:48 am }

What is it with all the sexual innuendo that I guess is supposed to be funny? At 7.30pm. It is like the school yard for grade 4 boys. And using the cops for ‘humour’. And the ridiculous ‘trivia games’? And so much of it is repeated every night. Almost every ad break Scott Cam is re-hashing what happened in the current & previous episode/s.
Feeling better now 😉

10 jec { 02.18.14 at 11:35 am }

Here in Adelaide it was in the newspapers weeks ago about Lysandra’s marriage breakdown. Obviously we don’t know all the details, but having been separated while Sky High was filming, and if my husband was working full-time shift work and caring for my child, I’d be mighty thankful for my half of the $375,000 the twins won and decline the offer to go on this current series. I’d be working on my marriage rather than trying to win even more money. Or if the marriage was irretrievable, I’d be staying close to my child. But that’s just me, obviously it’s not what Lysandra chose to do.
I agree with the sexual innuendo, PollyB. Luckily it goes clear over my 8 year old daughter’s head while my 14 year old boy chuckles over the Blockheads stupid antics and poor taste comments.

11 Lebay { 02.18.14 at 11:46 am }

I love the Dux sign, what I don’t get is that the terrace that is basically for hanging out laundry needs to be ‘styled’.

12 Cozi { 02.18.14 at 11:54 am }

I used to love the Block but sadly I am just bored, and embarrased by their attempts to be funny always about body bits. I squirm for Steve, he seems so slow and just slow. I switch to MKR every night. I will not even try to watch The Block again this year. Sad.

13 ziii { 02.18.14 at 12:22 pm }

@Gabby FSOG = Fifty Shades of Grey

I could never stand the twins in Sky High and now I find them annoying, bitchy and they seem to act really immature.

I wonder if Lysandra’s husband is going to sell his side of the story to someone. It’ll be interesting to hear how he copes and who helps him look after 2 kids.

14 Louise { 02.18.14 at 12:47 pm }

I don’t really think it’s fair for any of us to comment on Lysandra’s marriage. How do we know what has gone on behind closed doors?

15 brain dead dave { 02.18.14 at 1:07 pm }

I don’t think it’s fair for you play thought police, either. Lysandra made a choice to go into public life.

16 Louise { 02.18.14 at 1:58 pm }

No problem Dave, I’ll try to keep my ‘thought police’ in check.

17 brain dead dave { 02.18.14 at 2:31 pm }

It’s kind of inevitable that people will want to discuss it and make comments .It’ s all over news .com.au for starters. Maybe it’s none of my business,Louise. I don’t care what my neighbours are up to, but if they went onto TV every night ,I’d probably have a morbid interest in their journey.

In the past ,we’ve seen inaugural Ma$terchef winner Julie Goodwin claim that her marriage was put under severe strain from her reality tv journey.

Reality tv giveth and it taketh away.

Sadly, there was the suicide of Biggest Loser contestant Alison Braun’s husband in the wake of the show. Young children involved again. Madi and Jarrod from last year’s The Block are kaput. Tough titties but at least no children involved.

Lysandra has baled on children aged one and three to go on The Block Sky High. That’s hard for me to understand because my parents were always around. Very occasionally, my father had to stay away overnight to work his beehives ,though I was 9 or 10 by then and could understand it more than a one or three year old. I’m eternally grateful that neither of them had a passion for renovating, cooking ,dancing or an insane,selfish desire for the flakiest fame they could go for.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for Australians who need to go abroad to work or serve in the military but this doesn’t extend to parents of young families who choose to go on cheese ball reality television shows for months on end.

18 Culinary Boner { 02.18.14 at 2:40 pm }

I blame all this sort of stuff on the gallons of pheromones Scott Cam, Keef and the rest of them sweaty tradies emit on set.

19 daisy { 02.18.14 at 2:42 pm }

Not being a fan of thought police or fun police, let me say, kudos to you Louise for your gracious response.

There would be a lot less fights if there were more people like you.

20 Gidgitvonlarue { 02.18.14 at 10:55 pm }

THANK YOU Emma! I could not agree more. When Darren was blowing his own trumpet about how ‘awesome’ his room was I was all ‘eh’! No big deal at all. If I bought a house with that kitchen and bedroom I’d change it all – and it would be better. And what is with all this friggin concrete? Concrete is used on pavements because it’s cheap. It’s used to FILL IN BETWEEN BRICKS because it’s cheap. If I saw a kitchen with a huge concrete slab in it – I’d be replacing it with something attractive and worth more than brick filler stat! It’s all a bit of a wank really! They nob on about ‘high end’ and yes you can see it in taps etc – but how would they know how much a throw pillow is worth – or some poster on the wall. I could get a huge gorgeous poster from Posters Online for pittance and they would be spooging all over it if they thought I bought it from some wanky expensive shop in Melbourne high street. End of the day – it’s all an illusion. It’s taste and styling – not what it cost.

21 Gidgitvonlarue { 02.18.14 at 11:58 pm }

Just watched tonight’s show with the rain problem. Steve is literally having a nervous breakdown on TV and this does not make good TV. These two, especially Steve, should not have been even considered. The Qld mining couple should be there instead. I like Chantelle and she’s trying to stay positive – but they really do not have any tradie skills. It’s ok for the twins as they’ve done this before. That accounts for A LOT!
I knew when they came up with this idea of Fans Vs Fav’s it was a HUGE advantage to those that have done this before.

22 Eliza { 02.19.14 at 12:57 am }

Ha, PollyB, dw.. we rant every night as they re-cap, re-cap and then re-cap what they just re-capped.. ARRGGHH!!! The show was much better when it was on once a week and we watched them renovate and reveal rooms and that was that! No stupid challenges and drawn out drama.

Don’t get my started on S&C.. why on earth were they even selected?! The ‘drama’ of will they or won’t they stuff up this week is old already and makes for awkward TV. It is not cool! They are so out of their depth it is terrible to watch.

Onto the rooms, as I understand it, everyone designed their own spaces, however it seems that everyone’s rooms are in the same positions within each apartment. Obviously they were able to alter the sizes. This makes a HUGE difference when judging the spaces. I am not sure at all why the twins made their bathroom SOOO small?! I thought bathrooms were big selling points and well, duh, 3 full bathrooms is always better than 2.5 plus an outdoor shower in Melbourne! Agree with Zhee though about the glass, but the rest of the space is still too small and dark. I am a bit over these dark bathrooms.. yeah, yeah they look more ‘WOW’ and are ‘sexy(?)’ but I don’t want to feel like I am in a dark hole in the ground when I am using the bathroom, especially in the morning when you’re trying to wake up.

The boys deserved the win for sheer practicality. The space was usable and the separate laundry was a no-brainer to me. K&K’s space was too small and needs a complete re-do and S&C’s was ok however I wasn’t not a fan of the outdoor styling at all, including the mural. Their style is too hipster, retro ‘trendy’ rather than multi million dollar loft apartment where you need to create a more luxurious feel.

I agree too with others’ comments re the Darren Palmer apartment.. I had question marks too. It was so dull! It looked like it was needing to be styled.

I am also still confused about the whole bucks party though… That’s my delayed rant over.

23 Chrissie { 02.19.14 at 8:47 am }

Agree with much that had been said. But still enjoying the series. I can’t wait to see the final apartments layout seeing as each team was able to design their own – I find that quite interesting twist. Layout can make a win as in Amity & Phil’s season.

But what is with the bad acting? The Hangover joke/ obvious set up was really very funny – but for a moment. They dragged it out waaaay too long that it became cringeworthy to watch in the end. I enjoyed seeing Lara – but would have much rather heard her talk about what she thought of the boys rooms and how they are working together etc, rather than some bad acting about Brad’s horrid fake tattoo. Like many of their jokes a quick pun is funny, but know when to stop!

24 PollyB { 02.19.14 at 9:56 am }

I only noticed last night that the layouts, so far, are the same. This show is a load of BS! Why am I so surprised? Because I suspended my reality to engage in ‘reality’ tv. Pfffft.
Yes, I will be recording it again tonight…..

25 drb123 { 02.19.14 at 10:08 am }

Lyssandra’s new boyfriend isn’t a crane driver is he?

26 Reality Raver { 02.19.14 at 10:22 am }

Thanks Maz.

DRB 123 – ROFL

27 cam2 { 02.19.14 at 11:39 am }

just watched last nights episode. and agree with everyone re: the drawn out hangover jokes/skits. too rehearsed and fake. wastes time and appeals only to 10yr old boys. would prefer if they just focus on the reno without the faux drama.
S&C seem out of their depth. they are getting a lot of help from the judges e.g. darrens styling class, scotty shooting down the walk in robe idea etc so appears that the producers also are worried S&C are making a mess of the reno and so are doing what they can to avoid a disaster on auction day.

don’t know if it is just the editing but steve never seems to be working. im guessing he got roped into this by chantelle bc i just can’t see him on his own thinking he was ready and could do it. tho actually he did say in an earlier ep that he didn’t think that he would have to organise and manage everything on the block. he thought the producers just scheduled all the trades and builders to turn up and he really just had to pick carpet etc and lend a hand now and then. instead of the reality that if he doesn’t do it, nothing will get done.

28 Carmen { 02.20.14 at 6:54 am }

I record the block and ffwd through all of the filler/Scotty talking/recaps/ads – makes it easier to watch and saves time. Chantelle and Steve are def on a learning curve but I don’t think they’re as bad as the producers make them out to be – head over to their twitter, they’re hitting back at how they’re portrayed

29 sunny { 02.20.14 at 8:50 am }

Self praise is no recommendation is it?
They and the twins really showed true colours after Mark Tuckey challenge.
What are you expecting Chantelle? To win with that dog’s breakfast of a table?
Really, it was very amateur, and not charming amateur…
Try the KISS Principle, too many half baked rip off ideas in one boring, badly made table is not a 5k challenge winner.
Twins…
What can we gain from this little encounter?
The idea was okay, pretty cool, a little bit crafty yeah! However, it was also rather Martha Stewart and the gaudy pots made it tacky. Better to keep the cool metal baskets. Adding the stools was desperate. The brief girls… The brief…
Now don’t go getting all poor sport about it.
Kyal and Kara by far deserved the win. That table was classy.
No excusez.

30 Gabby { 02.20.14 at 9:58 am }

Carmen @28 I do the same as you. I record and whizz through most of the show, I hate all the recaps, do they think the viewers have short term memory loss, so sick of it.
As for Darren Palmer’s apartment if he was hoping it would be a good free advertisement for his business, bad luck Dazza.

31 John { 05.15.14 at 11:51 pm }

the shows a load of shit really and i think a lot of the couples wouldnt know how to handle a marraige if it hit em in the face, i see a lot of money hungry bimbos on there