My Kitchen Rules – Finally A Team That Could Cook But They Need To Throw Out The Heston Cook Book

Josh and Danielle from Victoria showed they probably had the best technical cooking skill in My Kitchen Rules, by my oh my their mixing of ingredients was appalling and because of this they may only get to cook once in the competiton.

Their Heston style menu had some very strange flavour combinations. The worst was the main of the Sous Vide Salmon with Radish and Pea Salad, Cinnamon Biscuit and Vanilla Mayonnaise. Josh confidently said “We know cinnamon and vanilla go well with seafood?” Really? I googled and found nothing of them combined but I did find Heston’s recipe for vanilla mayonnaise and it is served with salmon. But still cannot work out where the cinnamon aspect came from.

Josh and Danielle set up their instant restaurant “Alchemy” nicely, with edible dirt on the table, lickable paintings and edible menus. Most of the other teams were impressed and even David thought they were going to get something “ultramodern from the future” on the plate “like The Jetsons”.

The Victorian boys thought it was quirky and Corinne noted that Harry was willing to eat anything you wondered if this confirmed the rumour that he and Kelly had hooked up.

However their enthusiasm diminished as they were waiting an hour and a half for their entree of  Oxtail and Mushroom Gyoza with Hazelnut and Grape Vinaigrette and Apple Sphere. The rolling out of the gyoza wrappers took longer then expected and Josh was having issues with making the sphere which his chemistry set and even when he did successfully do it, it added nothing to the plate.

Also was it wrong to be sceptical when Harry told Manu and Pete that he had once tried to make gyoza dough and it was very difficult to get it right? Maybe Harry should concentrate on learning the basics first. As Christo said this was not a menu he and Harry would attempt.

David however looked at the Gyoza’s and declared it was something his grandmother would have made. Now I doubt his grandmother would even know what a gyoza is.

Pete was not a fan and said what you put on the plate does not work together. Yes there are elements that are quite nice, but put together it is a bit of train wreck. He told them if they wanted to go further in the competition they need to take a step back and work out what goes together on a plate.

Cathy however loved it. She said if this was on a take away menu she would order it weekly. Clearly she thinks it would be too technically difficult for her to make.

There did not appear to be such a big gap before they served up their main which was the  Salmon.

The salmon looked great and Manu said it was cooked to perfection, however he said the mayonnaise was too oily for the fatty salmon. Pete said it did not go well together. Pete said the cinnamon biscuit was a very strange thing to put on the plate. Danielle  started weeping and then Carly started crying with her in sympathy.

In the add breaks there was a promo saying you could Win a MKR dish and get it delivered your the door. Hopefully it is not this one.

So after getting hammered for the flavour combinations they decide to pull back on the dessert of Banana Parfait with Maple Syrup Bacon. The parfait did not look good nor was it cut up very well. They then just put little bits of bacon on top. The dessert looked shocking on the plate. Carly really liked it, but Pete thought it was too sweet and Manu thought there was not enough bacon.

The scores given were:

Carly and Tresene –  7

Anna and Cathy – 5

Harry and Christo –  4

Chloe and Kelly – 4

David and Corinne – 3

For a total of 23 out 50.

Pete gave  a three for entree, a five for main, and a five for dessert.

Manu a five for entree, a five for main, and five for dessert.

Josh and Danielle received a total score of 51. Kelly’s cheshire cat smile was bigger then usual when she realised she and Chloe were no longer on the bottom of the leader board. Hopefully the Victorian couple will be safe as they did show they know how to cook and were very competent in the kitchen.

Harry and Christo are cooking on Sunday but if you looked at the promo you would have thought it was Captain Jack and the trophy wife.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN Sunday at 6.30pm and Monday to Wednesday at 7.30pm.

1 daisy { 02.23.14 at 7:43 pm }

We usually eat at 6 and are gone by 7.30 tops. I would leave if I hadto wait an hour unless the company was good and the food was worth the wait.

2 Sandii { 02.23.14 at 7:51 pm }

@46……. I get it now! ……. I am a bit slow tonight! Bahaha!

3 Muffin { 02.23.14 at 7:56 pm }

#50-I think it was just bad time management not prepping dessert while waiting for the birds to roast. Don’t know what they were doing during that time. And if they were only going to serve half a bird each anyway, wouldn’t cutting the birds up help speed up cooking time once they realized they were running late?

4 Sandii { 02.23.14 at 8:00 pm }

Did I hear Harry say that he never had cooked the recipe before. Why wouldn’t you practice it. He is being such a dick to christo.

5 Littlepetal { 02.23.14 at 8:19 pm }

It does make it more true about the contestants given recipes to cook opinion their IR. They may have follow the Bake Off formula. A recipe but not complete. You have to use your cooking skills to adjust. How can Harry think the pheasants will be cooked in 15 mins. Then when it was not cooked at all, he think another 15 mins will be enough.

6 cam2 { 02.23.14 at 8:35 pm }

@50 Georgie

I was wondering if maybe there was a rule that they can’t start dessert prep until main is served, because they easily should have finished it in the 3 hrs they were cooking the bird. maybe they can only prep things which take a long time e.g. icecream or biscuits, but cannot start the assembly/cooking, or even slicing the nectarines or making the crumble. im running out of excuses for them!

there definitely needs to be a REAL time penalty. e.g. teams have an absolute limit of 1.5 hrs between courses otherwise it is a zero. because real diners would not stay longer than that or even two hours without walking out. especially not three hours! but the boys hardly seemed penalised for it getting a 7 and 8 from the judges! ridiculous. id be pretty pissed if i was another team. it seems if you’re competing that you really don’t need to worry about time at all then – just take as long as you want to make sure the dish is perfect and you’ll still score as well/better than a dish that is out in a decent time. its getting too obvious which teams will stay. and its becoming really annoying how manipulated the competition is.

it also irritates me how much food must be wasted.

7 Muffin { 02.23.14 at 8:36 pm }

Lol, 15 mins for a red raw chicken sized bird. Crazy. I was feeling bad for him until he was a dick to Christo. Not anymore.

8 cam2 { 02.23.14 at 8:39 pm }

@57

muffin i couldn’t believe it when harry thought it only needed another 5 minutes! far out, if he was pulling the tray out every 5 minutes for the next three hours….

9 Andrea { 02.23.14 at 9:11 pm }

Oh dear, those boys! I can’t help liking them but why don’t they cook something they have tried before?
They said they didn’t know how long the pheasants would take to cook, wouldn’t you practice beforehand, or choose tried and true recipes to submit to the producers?
I just don’t get it, and the lateness was unforgiveable.
However, I am glad they got through.

10 Muffin { 02.23.14 at 9:11 pm }

Haha, I wonder if he’s even roasted a chook before.

11 Andrea { 02.23.14 at 9:15 pm }

They probably buy a cooked chook from Coles, much easier.

12 Muffin { 02.23.14 at 9:33 pm }

Yeah and serve it up with some gravox and instant mashed potato.

13 Andrea { 02.23.14 at 9:42 pm }

Now that’s one thing I can’t stand is instant mashed potatoes, they don’t even taste like the real thing which even I can make.
I would do roast potatoes and pumpkin with my cooked chook,
( and maybe the gravox and yorkshire puddings )

14 Public // Health // Warning { 02.23.14 at 10:05 pm }

MKR has truly jumped the Shark.
Giving Harry delusions of adequateness.
Judges cooing about unforgivably late food.
What is the matter with finding people who are good home cooks? I don’t care if they are wacky, have a great back story or have this week’s preferred facial growth. For shame, producers.

15 Public // Health // Warning { 02.23.14 at 10:12 pm }

Harry as Cook is as convincing an acting performance as Helena Bonham Carter as the Queen Mother in ‘The King’s Speech’.

16 daisy { 02.23.14 at 10:54 pm }

I recall a previous team this season getting told they were being marked down because of excessive lateness. Why not these two?
Inconsistent.

17 brain dead dave { 02.23.14 at 11:04 pm }

I think Harry and Krusto have given those judges bleu jobs.

It’s disturbing that those two culinary charlatans swallowed every bit of contrived feedback Manu and Pete threw at them. I was astonished that the judges fairly crawled up their arses after an atrocious three hour delay.

Harry’s a dead set pig to be drinking straight out of the liqueur bottle, too.

18 Evan { 02.23.14 at 11:23 pm }

If you trust the promo for tomorrow night, David and Corinne are going to do worse than their first instant restaurant.
Harry & Christo: nice boys, but the cynical side of me thinks that they are being kept around to keep the female demographic watching, and any supposed romance between Harry and Chloe would sell magazines.

19 brain dead dave { 02.23.14 at 11:36 pm }

I think also $hine want to keep hopeless Harry and Krusto in to keep a more or less even gender balance in this group, as only Jack and Mr Edible Dirt remain as against the two all female teams.

20 Gabby { 02.23.14 at 11:40 pm }

Yes Harry wasn’t very very nice to Christo. Taking all that time to cook the main, maybe not long for one small bird but 12 of them in one oven, use some common sense, its going to take longer than 15 minutes.
The way he spoke to Christo when he was preparing the dessert, telling him to hurry and it looked bad.
Main definitely did not deserve 8 and 7 because of the wait time and other teams should be annoyed at that.
I agree with you all why weren’t they prepping the dessert during the three hours the birds were cooking?
Georgietake2, I’m with you, half a nectarine??

21 daisy { 02.23.14 at 11:51 pm }

I think you’re right BDD. I was thinking how the comp was heavy with female teams.
Did you find anything on TV tonight?
Damn. I missed my IYATO tonight because I was recording too many shows and IYATO didn’t rec.

22 brain dead dave { 02.23.14 at 11:57 pm }

Yes, Fat Tony &Co on 9 was pretty good and now I’m watching Love Child which is okay but for anachronisms like people calling each other “guys”‘ in 1969. Really inauthentic and poor script writing. Some good musical flashbacks like Easybeats, Russell Morris etc.

23 daisy { 02.24.14 at 12:11 am }

I saw it on Monday. I am presuming it’s a repeat. I can’t watch these shows if they get it wrong. I was still a kid then but if I hear words that we didn’t use I cringe. We called them guys (and chicks for girls) in the 70s but back in the 60s they were boys. Not sure if that was just my age.
If they say a guy is “hot” I’ll say no way. They were cool or just good looking. Loved the Easy Beats.

24 brain dead dave { 02.24.14 at 12:17 am }

This was a chick addressing two other chicks as “guys” the way groups of mixed gender are stupidly addressed today. An appalling legacy from American sitcoms. Even Dr.Phil does it. Cringe.

25 daisy { 02.24.14 at 12:49 am }

Yeah, I have seen shows set in the seventies that used words that didn’t emerge until at least two decades later. Words like geek or nerd. Cringe, cringe and grrr. Also they sometimes get the clothes wrong.
We watched some Fat Tony. It looked pretty good.

26 chelsea2 { 02.24.14 at 1:41 am }

What a lovely couple are Kathy and Anna. Anna is very attractive also.
Have they cooked yet? It wouldn’t surprise me if they were great, especially being country girls.

27 Sappho { 02.24.14 at 4:30 am }

I’m not saying that the salmon, biscuit, and mayonnaise were good. Quite possibly they were not. However, I have found lots of recipes for vanilla and salmon and plenty for cinnamon and salmon. I think that their real mistake was the way they used the ingredients. A bare cinnamon biscuit didn’t belong on the plate and the judges were more condemnatory of the mayonnaise than the vanilla. Too, it seems that the mayonnaise was quite sweet, which is not the vanilla itself. Here’s a recipe, for example, which uses both vanilla and cinnamon with salmon and actually sounds amazing.

28 chelsea2 { 02.24.14 at 5:51 am }

What is that big mouth who calls himself a Captain. Is he a Captain ?Of what a rowboat. I missed the beginning.

29 Smythe { 02.24.14 at 9:09 am }

Don’t get why contestants cook something they have never cooked before? If the producers choose the recipes for them are these recipes from the contestants or are they recipes that the producers pull out of a hat? I’m assuming that Harry provided this recipe because he kept saying that the pheasant was his grandmother’s recipe and he knew how to cook it because he had watched her but he had never made it himself. Guess he just absorbed the ability to cook the pheasants properly by watching granny cook. 15 mins. for all of those pheasants….LOL. Agree with others that if they were just using the breast why didn’t they cut up the pheasants and just cook the breasts. It would have taken less time to cook.
Also agree that there should be an automatic penalty for taking so long between courses.

I don’t mind the boys but I don’t think they should be there. Josh and Danielle have more food knowledge and skills than Harry and Christo.

The power going out…was that just scripted with some crew member turning off the power briefly to create drama? And why did we have to watch Harry showering? To prove he is a clean and sanitary cook? Just more filler and a waste of airtime.

Hoping the Captain’s raft sinks and no one throws him a life preserver.

30 Littlepetal { 02.24.14 at 12:05 pm }

The power going out looked suss? When the power came back, the digital display on the oven still showed the right time. Usually after a power failure, you need to reset the clock.

31 Georgie { 02.24.14 at 12:09 pm }

Your sharp Littlepetal – eagle-eyed!

32 cookie bearess { 08.07.14 at 7:36 am }

LOL I’m just sooo loving all of your comments especially the police tape, that was funny but I have to admit I am enjoying these two now whereas previously I felt like throwing summit at the tele but now they are purely entertaining and they really can cook can’t they

33 cookie bearess { 08.07.14 at 7:38 am }

No I haven’t I have never written anything on this site