The Block – The Twins Take A Fatwa Out On Kyal and Kara

If a voodoo doll with pins stuck in it becomes a piece of artwork in Lysandra and Alisa’s apartment make no mistake it will be Kyal and Kara they used as their inspiration.

The twins will continue to be bitter and twisted about the Central Coast pair who won the second bedroom last night. By taking their extra prize winnings to $30,000 it will make them a huge threat in the competition. Expect the gloves to come off NOW.

Kyal and Kara admit they styled on the Darren Palmer principle they learnt in the masterclass and it worked as they won by a point over the twins and Steve and Chantelle. Have to say I thought the bedroom looked small with the double bed in it.

Steve and Chantelle were unlucky their wooden feature wall looked fantastic though it won’t be to all tastes. They also did a bit of Darren Palmer styling in there. Brad and Dale’s bedroom styling wise looked like amateur hour and messy. Hopefully they will get their design mojo back. Whilst Lysandra and Alisa were criticised for the artwork they chose. Even though it was a lovely piece it was too low and the person or persons in bed would bang their head against it.

Which room did you like the best?

The Block on NINE weeknights at 7.30pm.

1 TickledPink { 02.24.14 at 4:03 pm }

The twins are getting a taste of their own medicine
It was them last year who were winning all the prize money week to week, nice to see the tables have turned!

2 cam2 { 02.24.14 at 4:34 pm }

it was good to see s&c get some good comments. think we will be seeing better rooms from them from now on. i was surprised they must have gotten all the glue/gunk off the parquetry wall bc during the week keith made a big deal out of it not being possible to get off.

K&K room was nice but i hope they start to experiment a bit more and that its not just timber timber timber rooms week after week. we get it. kyals a good carpenter.

the twins are still my fave, but it will be interesting to see what they produce/their moods if K&K keep winning rooms/challenges. Since on sky high they won the most money, its going to be hard for them if they suffere serious budget problems like trixie and johnno. (btw whose real names are actually katrina and mark johnson!)

btw RR it says on wikiipedia that there will be a second block season in 2014. it just names it season 9, so no clues. have you heard any rumours?

3 Reality Raver { 02.24.14 at 4:40 pm }

yes Cam2 a definite second season in Melbourne they have already bought the property in Prahan it is an office complex.

4 Fiona { 02.24.14 at 4:59 pm }

I really liked the twins room, imo it should of won. The picture can easily be removed. Actually I liked all the rooms. The boys room was good and something like a doona cover can also be easily removed and replaced.
I have to say the preview for what is to come this week has me intrigued. Are the twins pissed off because they get really negative comments in the judging for the bathroom or is it something entirely different. Who know, but I can’t wait to find out.

5 Agent 86 { 02.24.14 at 5:18 pm }

I thought all the rooms looked okay. I don’t necessarily disagree with the Super Ks as the winners, but I do find the judging interesting.

The judges will often criticise a pillow, painting or throw rug which are easy to change, yet entire timber walls, flooring choices, etc which would be difficult and expensive to change are seemingly ignored, even if they wouldn’t be appreciated by all buyers. Personally, I’d be far more happy simply moving the twins’ painting to another wall than I would be removing or covering Steve and Chantelle’s timber wall.

6 Smythe { 02.24.14 at 6:12 pm }

Most of the rooms seemed claustrophobic to me and, for what will be an expensive residence, I thought they should have been bigger. The SC parquetry was original, interesting and more innovative than the Ks timber. The BD room seemed dark probably due to the dark cabinets on one side and the dark drapes on the other. Agree with Shaynna that this made it seem closed in. I liked the artwork in the twin’s room which can be easily repositioned. The judges made a big deal about where it was placed when this is just trivial. Felt that Shaynna underscored the twins.

Agent 86 #5 Agree that the judging is interesting and strange. They seem to pick on things that are easily changed. Many buyers may not like the timber walls, flooring or parquetry which are more difficult and expensive to change than pillows, lamps, bedding or artwork.

7 Maz { 02.24.14 at 7:36 pm }

Scores
D,S,N
C&S =8.5,8,8=24.5
K&K=9,8,8.5=25.5
A&L=8.5,7,9=24.5
D&B =8,7,7=22

I noted that there was no close up of C&S’s wall. Yes, it was a lot of work but up close I doubt it looks that good. I don’t see any consistency in their (C&S) apartment.

I agree with the previous comments that the judges seem not to distinguish between the aesthetic and structural. Seriously, all the boys would have to do is change the bed sheets and the curtains as to oppose to some serious work in the other rooms. Yet, the judges went on and on about some stupid sheets and cushions.

What was the judges’ problem with the twins’ room? Does anyone sit in bed like that???? I liked the room but I preferred the boys.

Couldn’t stand that much wood in either of the fans’ room.

As to the voodoo dolls-I think it raises serious questions whether or not you can complete/compete the Block if you don’t win any rooms or challenges.

Ooh…has anyone scoped out next season’s property? I would like them to do a season in Brisbane.

8 Gabby { 02.24.14 at 7:37 pm }

I probably would have gone for K & K’s room. I loved their timber wall. liked her side tables, didn’t like her small chair.
With C &S I didn’t like the hand made parquetry, I thought it looked a bit home made and also thought it drew the room in and made it smaller. Must admit though it was the best they have done.
The boys room was way too dark. Too much black or charcoal everywhere. They definitely made a big boo boo with the wardrobe hanging space being too high.
The twins was ok, I didn’t like the little shelf on the wall and of course they could have repositioned the painting, which I liked. I loved the colours.
The twins are getting dirty about not winning anything and it looks like they are going to get even dirtier next week.
Good news about another series this year.

9 Zhee { 02.24.14 at 9:36 pm }

I liked the twins’ room the best this week. But it would have helped if they had put the painting on the wall next to the door and the shelf above the bed. Kara and Kyal’s room looked good as well. But too much timber. They have very good eye and Kara”s sense of style is fantastic. I am looking forward to see their bathroom (I guess they are the ones with all the 10s).

Not sure about the review, but I suppose that Darren’s comment about “That can’t be fixed” is about the twins bathroom and they will be bashed. AS for their reactions… I think they entered this year’s season with some high expectations towards themselves and a good portion of self entitlement. Bad combination but they were that way last year (minus the self entitlement). I think they always did their best and came up with clever ideas. What didn’t go to plan was a couple being as good as they were last year. Thus leading to a feeling the judges are harder on them. They might be right… I suppose they wouldn’t have won the first room if the judges had known which room was theirs.

10 Eliza { 02.25.14 at 12:14 am }

The twins are such whiny woo woos. Whatever that is I just made up.. they can’t handle it when another team is winning more than them but it’s totally ok for them to keep winning.. ahuh. They are just the style experts this time around.. “seen this before” “seen that before”. They do have a pretty good eye but their egos are huge! I am not sure about them being judged more harshly this time around at all.

I really liked S&C’s wall.. would have LOVED it if the execution was better. They did show a close up tonight when Kara picked out some ughh looking gaps and a nail. They are definitely heading in the right direction now though but they will need to update their last spaces for continuity across the apartment as they aren’t cohesive at all.

The K’s space was nice but I wasn’t a huge fan. I am really into using timber in rooms but there was a bit too much for my liking. It gives more impact but then it felt a bit like a cabin. The quality was good but with all the timber work, it would divide many buyers as it would be harder to fix than a bead spread in other rooms, such as the boys.

I liked the boys room as it was nice and simple and well done. Anyone could use it and like it and put their own stamp on the place. The hard thing is, when doing it this way, it is harder to win rooms (well, their bathroom was versatile and they won last week) as there typically isn’t as much WOW to distract the judges. The wardrobe was a bit high as well. All in all though, as others have said, they did carry on too much about the linen which is easily fixed! I think this is a trait though of designers… when I was studying we had interior designers as teachers and luckily I was able to evade this, however when they would see ONE thing that didn’t quite work, or they didn’t quite like, then they would slowly start picking at it all. I think this is the case this week for B&B.. there wasn’t that WOW factor to distract them from the other issues such as not so great bed linen. They were so wowed by K&K’s room they forgot how impractical, really, walls clad with timber are! Initially they were wowed by S&C’s feature wall, until they saw the deer head.. uh oh!

I didn’t mind the twin’s room but I feel as though they are designing their spaces so far more as statement pieces than functional rooms (eg the stairs to that little platform in the first room). I wasn’t a fan of the shelves.. I find them limiting and I hated those wall lights. Was this a room for witches? If so, a great hanging space for their brooms, concealed as light fixtures. The Amy Winehouse artwork was cool though.

Well that about ends my rant.. I am divided in the end as to who should have won!

11 Veronicali { 02.25.14 at 10:21 am }

Only watching the reveals, although even then they managed to include a contestant burping scene :/ Where do they get such classy people.

Didn’t care for the winning room, looked like a sauna. Twins, just need to move the piccy. Boys need to fix that too high wardrobe and ditch the safety-wear bedcover. Liked the belching couple’s room.

12 Tell It Like It Is { 02.25.14 at 11:18 am }

lol @ twins’ lights comment by Eliza:
“…I hated those wall lights. Was this a room for witches?…”

13 Maz { 02.25.14 at 1:41 pm }

If anyone can’t wait for the common area reveal here are some photos from the Age
Sexist as always.

14 Reality Raver { 02.25.14 at 3:07 pm }

Maz explains why everyone cast is super skinny except for Brad.

15 Carol (without the e) { 02.25.14 at 4:12 pm }

I really loved the twins room… but their attitude is starting to annoy me. Especially in light of the stories about their relationships outside the house. One suggesting to the other’s husband that he has to let her do the Block. Sounds like they are far more committed to each other and their fledgling business than they are to their husbands. I know only one marriage has failed but the other husband has to be nervous!

16 Zhee { 02.25.14 at 7:34 pm }

Wow, those pictures… Sexist describes it best. Interesting that they covered up Brad and the dark-haired twin (damn, don’t know which one is which).
Regarding that upcoming divorce… No one knows what was going on n that marriage. My parents always looked like a happy couple to others and one day my father left my mother. My sister and me were a bit older (2 1/2 and I just turned 6). In the end it was a good decision. As far as I read the twin and her husband were “highschool sweethearts”. Like my parents. Sometimes it happens and people run out of love. Maybe everything was on the rocks before, The Block was their break – maybe it also helped her realize there is nothing left to be saved. And what she does now might help to at least provide her children with some financial security. In the end, sometimes a split can be the best decision. Not only for the couple but also for the children. Sorry if I’m out of line here but after reading comments on here like “What a snake” in the last thread, I just wanted to but another perspective up. I think it’s unfair to pre-judge that woman. Although I can understand it in some way as Lysandra isn’t presenting herself in the best light on TV.

17 daisy { 02.25.14 at 7:40 pm }

Zhee, Eliza is looking for you. I can’t remember the thread. Probably where we were chatting last night.

18 Maz { 02.25.14 at 8:37 pm }

Zhee -Looks like Lysandra in the one-piece.

19 Culinary Boner { 02.25.14 at 8:47 pm }

thanks maz, good to see the troglodytes at Nine embracing the spirit of Nigel Tufnel:

20 drb123 { 02.25.14 at 9:14 pm }

It won’t be the Blocks first wedding – Matt and Jane got married in series 2

21 MT { 02.25.14 at 9:58 pm }

Does anyone think that the flirtatious behaviour is a little inappropriate between married (to other) people?
It just feels a little more than friendly to me.

22 Culinary Boner { 02.25.14 at 10:51 pm }

MT, welcome to Scott, Keef and Shelley’s world of ‘Eating Raoul’* (Lite). What else could explain the obligatory spa scene (with more than just fart jokes) each season?

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_Raoul

Fillum features the aptly named protagonist couple, Paul and Mary Bland.

23 PollyB { 02.26.14 at 12:06 pm }

I’m thinking Steve takes meds or is hitting the bottle on the quiet. Sometimes he is just in another space. Really weird. He speaks differently. And his demeanour is all really don’t give a fuck, but different to his usual whiny, you expect me to pitch in as a team player?/I don’t give a fuck attitude.

24 Bolders { 02.26.14 at 1:10 pm }

When I see the twins on TV I think about their shenanigans over the infamous paint roller.

Was that hooplah and the allegations they made against the Dolphin (I cant recall her name just her laugh) for real? Because they just came across as petty, suspicious and beligerent.

Who knew that one of them was touchy feely with a production aid while this roller-gate thing was going on.

25 Carol (without the e) { 02.26.14 at 2:45 pm }

Yes Bolders… you raise a very interesting point. While we are watching what is telecast… others are watching what is happening in front of their own eyes and THAT is what influenced their opinion of the twins.

Now… we have Steve having a vent on Facebook about Channel 9 making him look like a tool.

26 Eliza { 02.26.14 at 4:07 pm }

Thanks for the link, Carol.

I have been thinking over the weeks though that they have been playing things out of proportion to make S&C (particularly Steve) look worse. Some of the things he says are a bit off but he does seem to get a lot of ridicule for his lack of experience and know -how.. Who was it that selected him for the show.. The producers! I have to doubts that they do things to mess with the contestants and create drama.

The end of the article is right though, why do channel 9 so desperately want to turn Australia against these two? I don’t know about anyone else but it seems too forced and one sided.

27 Paul Raymond of Soho { 02.26.14 at 9:27 pm }

Dear Bikini-clad Women on The Block,
Mercedes Corby got paid $$$ for this sort of stunt.
Just saying.

28 PollyB { 02.26.14 at 11:33 pm }

Thanks CB.
But, regardless of the edits, Steve called and spoke to his plasterer, Brad. It was actually his fellow blockhead Brad. And he didn’t even know until Blockhead Brad returned his call hours later. This guy is clueless. He has been up too many chimneys. Bizarre.