Grant Denyer Denial Of Meth Addiction Is Unravelling

Grant denyer

Grant Denyer this week denied he was in rehab for meth addiction and said he would be taking legal advice concerning the story in this week’s Woman’s Day.

However Woman’s Day decided to fire back quickly with what looks like the knock out blow, with a person claiming to be at the rehab centre at the same time as Grant Denyer and his wife.

The article has Askin Karahan telling the magazine he had been at rehab with him. He says:

“Arriving at the rehab centre in Thailand was a blur for me. I was there for help with my drug addiction and didn’t know what to expect.

It was the following day in a roomful of people in group therapy I saw Grant Denyer and his wifestand up and say they were addicted to meth.

Was I shocked to see him? To hear that? Of course I was. I knew him from the weather. I think anyone would have been shocked, but that’s the thing about drugs. It takes over the best of us. Role models, actors, sportspeople, musicians, your next door neighbour…

Last year was hard for me. My mum passed away and I’d started going out a lot with my friends just to forget about it for a while. Eventually partying wasn’t enough and I started taking cocaine.

It just sort of numbed everything but my family knew what was going on and they were worried about me.

It’s not really about my mum, though – I don’t want to play the victim here.

Plenty of people lose someone and they don’t turn to drugs. That was my choice and I know I’m not blaming anything.

My family told to me get my life sorted out and a friend suggested The Cabin drug rehab, so I called them.

I recognised Grant as soon as I saw him. I didn’t expect him to be there – would anyone? But now I understand that ice is pretty big in Australia and a lot of people are users.

Like all of us, Grant had tried and failed to get clean before.

Everyone tries and fails, but his main reason was that drugs in a relationship doesn’t work. It’s too unstable, so of course they wanted to get clean to save that. That’s what they said.

Full story on Woman’s Day website.

Grant Denyer’s threats of legal action might have made it into a bigger story then it was. It is a bit like Craig Thompson whose life has now imploded since he decided to sue the Sydney Morning Herald about using his union credit cards to pay for the services of sex workers.

Interesting that Grant Hackett’s father is not allowing him to be in denial about his prescription drug addiction and has been in the media saying it is true after Grant said he was in the USA at treatment centre to take some time out.

1 Dr T { 02.26.14 at 5:35 pm }

Honestly, that person leaking if f—ed up – the whole point of him going OS was for some confidentiality…

2 brain dead dave { 02.26.14 at 5:41 pm }

The whole premise of 12 step recovery programs is confidentiality about who’s there.

I’ve been in such groups with famous people and have kept my mouth shut for twenty years.

This guy is a piece of shit.

3 Fiona { 02.26.14 at 5:44 pm }

No correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the 12-step program is used by AA or alcoholics anonymous or NA narcotics anonymous. It just seems a low blow to Grant to have somebody that attended the same rehab as him to be going to a trashy mag and confirming that he was in fact there. This person really should shut their mouth. If grant or his wife wanted people to know about their ice addiction they would of spoken to the media. They do not need the added stress atm of the media while they are trying to clean up their lives.
This person even says that grant has tried to get clean before and failed, well thanks to this fool he might just fail again. You would think that somebody who is going through something similar would have a little more compassion, but nope…. selling your story to the highest bidder is a better thing to do…. Idiot.

4 daisy { 02.26.14 at 5:45 pm }

Dr T on my TV guide they are calling IYATO perfect match now.

5 Carol (without the e) { 02.26.14 at 5:50 pm }

And we are to believe a coke addict that is speaking to us via Woman’s Day?????

How low can these magazines go???????

What if the story was about Fiona Connolly (the WD editor)??? Would they be happy to accept the word of a self confessed coke addict and break the confidence of the rehab facility?

Me thinks Mr Karahan needs to mind his own f*cking business and concentrate on HIS addiction.

Let’s see the FEDS romp into the WD office to see how much he was paid?!?!?!?!?!?!?

6 Carol (without the e) { 02.26.14 at 6:10 pm }

I’m so cranky about this!!! I wouldn’t say I’m a huge fan of Grant’s – it’s more a case of these magazines really need someone to really come down hard on them to clean their act up. They really are gutter trash!!!!!

7 Helena { 02.26.14 at 6:21 pm }

if his story is true – he is the lowest kind of person to speak out about someone being treated for a drug addiction, and the magazine the same for publishing and presumably paying for his story.

8 Fiona { 02.26.14 at 6:32 pm }

@Carol (without the e) I’m with you on this, reading this has also made me angry. Also I’m not a fan of Grants, but at the end of the day he is sick and need privacy. WD and this F wit are the worst kind of people/organisation.

9 Fiona { 02.26.14 at 6:49 pm }

Just saw this on TV Tonight.
Karahan says he is speaking out because admission was an important step to recovery.
“You have to hit rock bottom before you get better and after that it’s a lifelong battle,” he said.

FYI Karahan it is not your decision to make. God this guy thinks he has some right to out grant, because they were in rehab together.

10 Kevin { 02.26.14 at 6:53 pm }

Is it true that Grant Denyer will appear on ‘Sunday Night’ about this?
Anyone know…?

11 brain dead dave { 02.26.14 at 6:56 pm }

The idea is to admit one’s own addiction to a group of strangers and not leak those of others in the group to the tabloid press.

These groups don’t necessarily work for everyone, they don’t have a great success record but not a lot of rehab programs do.Often you end up in a group of people addicted to going to meetings and unloading.

I don’t know ,Kevin.

12 daisy { 02.26.14 at 6:57 pm }

Carol, without, 100% with you @6.

13 Izobel2 { 02.26.14 at 7:25 pm }

Agree with all of you.

14 Rosie { 02.26.14 at 8:43 pm }

This just sounds disgusting. What sort of scum does something like this?

And bdd good on you for keeping your mouth shut, and I hope you have well and truly beaten your own demons (if you had any).

15 seepi { 02.26.14 at 11:28 pm }

Poor Grant Denyer. I have not been a fan, but he doesn’t deserve this.

Grant Hackett on the other hand does seem to be losing the plot all by himself.

16 Gabby { 02.27.14 at 12:11 am }

Women’s Day has really sunk lower than low. Releasing someone’s confidential information, taken from an inside source at a private therapy sessio. Talk about a gutter magazine. As for the piece of shit that sold the story to them, nothing he could say could excuse his disgusting betrayal.
I hope Grant and his wife have the strength to make it through this and have their lawyers working on suing Woman’s Day.

17 Eliza { 02.27.14 at 1:11 am }

Here, here to you all.

What a big man he is.. At least he got to CHOOSE when/how he ‘admitted’ to his issues with drugs on his own accord! Poor Grant, who is in the public eye to start with, just gets it shoved in his face. Sure, admitting it is a good step, but by gosh, I am sure it is MUCH harder when the whole of Australia will be casting judgement.

Shame on you, WD.

18 Littlepetal { 02.27.14 at 7:46 am }

I actually feel sorry for Hackett and Thorpie and other sport people that represented our country. They gave their all and in the process wreck their own life. Many have depression. Grant was given Stilnox when swimming.

Hope they can all get through this privately. That idiot that told WD is a personal trainer. The number one rule for a personal trainer is to be able to maintain confidentiality.

19 Georgie { 02.27.14 at 8:02 am }

Agree with all you said Littlepetal. Also Ziii said on an earlier thread that Grant’s back injury a few years ago might have started this. From memory it was pretty serious and he’d have been on morphiates.

20 cam2 { 02.27.14 at 10:00 am }

I find my reaction to this post odd and maybe some of you can help explain it. It was only after reading about the ‘type’ of source that WD used, did I start thinking about how the magazine should employ better ethics and not have published the story. I understand from a business perspective that this attitude is far too idealistic, but I agreed that there should be some form of ‘line’ drawn.

However, before I read about the source, I felt no emotion towards WD other than about what a juicy gossip story they had scooped. I knew there was a source as I did not believe they would have published this story without one. But I did not think about what ‘type’ of source they had used. Instead, if anything, I felt WD were doing their jobs – using sources, reporting stories – and that the celeb, in this case, was being the immoral one in trying to ‘cover it up’ through legal action.

So, maybe its just me not being a good person or just enjoying celeb gossip a little too much, but I found this reaction interesting (and I don’t think it is uncommon). Perhaps this is why it is hard to regulate gossip mags, since it is not necessarily the material they report on, but the sources. However, would it be any (morally) better if the source was a family friend instead of a participant? As someone posted above, at least in the case of Grant Hackett, he and his family had control over how the story of rehab came out – however, if all reporting relies on the subject having control over the story – well that’s not good journalism either. Yet the subject material of gossip magazines means that the sources will always be of a somewhat unsavory nature.

So as my head goes around in circles thinking about whether there is an actual point in this comment, I welcome your own thoughts please

21 Georgie { 02.27.14 at 10:35 am }

Good debate starter cam2. For me it’s about digging up and reporting personal dirt that hasn’t hurt anyone else. There’s only one possible motive and that’s to make money as you said and that’s the business of the media. I have always taken exception to the bleat of the media, that people want to know all this shite? Well how the hell do you know, if you want to know, until you know.

I’ve pretty much stopped watching news now, because it’s just wall to wall sensationalism. Occasionally something serious happens that needs to be reported but most of it is just filler. I often wonder if the latest, mindless trend, of punching people out would have reached epidemic proportions if it wasn’t constantly brought up in the media?

22 Ginny { 02.27.14 at 11:01 am }

Georgie why don’t you try watching SBS news you might get a different perspective on things!

23 Eliza { 02.27.14 at 11:15 am }

I get what you’re saying, cam2, and I think that we all get so used to being able to access all this information (real or not) about celebrities that we become a little bit immune to what is morally right and wrong for these magazines to publish. I am not going to pretend that I don’t love a bit of gossip here and there, but there is a line, and as Georgie said, some ‘gossip’ or ‘news’ is more harmful than others. In this case, it is an extremely delicate matter that has an incredibly serious effect on someone’s life so more consideration should be given here.

24 Georgie { 02.27.14 at 11:16 am }

Thanks for the tip Ginny, I’ll try it.

We have a bit of a joke at home about our local regional news. You only need to watch the first 2 minutes to get the actual news, then you can go and get dinner ready and come back in time for the weather in the last 2 minutes. :roll:

25 cam2 { 02.27.14 at 11:38 am }

Hey Eliza, well said, I agree completely more consideration is needed. And that some gossip or news is more harmful than others.

I think what im confused about is: how come GD’s rehab story is more emotion provoking and feels ‘wrong’ and ‘harmful’ to me, than any other story about a hollywood celeb going to rehab. Why does exposing this story feel more raw and painful all of a sudden, than any of those. Is it bc it is closer to home and so it is more relatable? Or is it bc knowing the nature of the source and disagreeing with his actions, now translate to me disagreeing with ALL parties involved in publishing the story? I think it is the latter, bc I did not think the story was as harmful before knowing the source.

I get confused – because on one hand i demand the magazines use sources – but then when i find out what they are, i’m disgusted. So i think its tbh a failing on my moral grounds rather than solely on the magazine’s discretion. A case of ignorance is bliss. From now on i think perhaps when reading a gossip story, i need to think of the much wider context and realities, rather than the mere text on the page.

26 Eliza { 02.27.14 at 11:52 am }

cam2, I think it is definitely the fact that there is a face to the source that makes a big difference here as it makes it more real. When magazines quote “a source close to … told us …” you tend to dismiss it more as rumour and go “whatever, who is this ‘source’?” but now that they have brought this guy forward, it makes it more legitimate..? People tend to get more involved/emotional when there are faces involved.. Like seeing the face of a person who has passed away or who has committed a crime. It brings it more into reality.

Also for me, at home we had been questioning the ‘look’ of Grant for a while.. I feel somewhat bad about it in revelation of all this, but we had wondered why he had a constant extremely tired expression and he began to look like he had lost his spark.

27 LB { 02.27.14 at 11:52 am }

Magazines are on life support and are heading to their demise kicking and screaming and don’t care who they drag into their grave with them. Like pretty much everyone else here, I am appalled by the source of this “story” and condemn WD soundly.

28 Eliza { 02.27.14 at 11:57 am }

Exactly, LB. I can’t imagine the anguish being in the public eye have when they need to seek help.. Do I, and help myself get better and risk public outing/humiliation (in a sense that people start negative rumours) or do I just keep on and pretend everything is a-ok.. Then possibly cause myself more harm.

Why would he go to Thailand… why did the PT guy go to Thailand if he doesn’t care about privacy? Clearly he is a dummy anyway.

29 Culinary Boner { 02.27.14 at 11:59 am }

As Ian Dury sang many years ago…

“I’m here to find out what makes you tick
I’m here to discover the secret you
I intend to reveal you’re crooked and sick
I don’t give a damn if none of it’s true

There’s a Byline Browne from the national press
That is how I earn my wages
I bring exposure and distress
As I spread your guts across the centre pages

I’m here to solicit your innermost thoughts
I’m fuelled by jealousy, venom and drink
I poke in your dustbins and I lurk round the courts
I puke up your portrait in bright yellow ink

There’s a Byline Browne of the popular press
The man who bought you ‘babies for sale’
I’ll blackmail your neighbour and look up your dress
But come what may I’ll tell my tale

I cover each item as issues arise
With a stain on the fabric of tissue of lies
I fuck up your family, your future and friends
And I’ll see you in hell before my story ends

I’m a reporter with senses and hunches
Somebody’s daughter’s turned into a junkie
I’m a reporter with expenses and lunches
And a whiskey and water, and I don’t give a monkey’s”

Though the real lesson in the sordid tale comes from Ministry –
“Never trust a junkie.”

30 addict { 02.27.14 at 12:58 pm }

I’m just glad my addiction (to the grog) and the crazy show that existed when I was at my worst wasn’t made public – in print or tv. Thankfully I made it to the other side for now (5+ years sober after a long stint in a public rehab), but there were 5 others in my group of 8 that didn’t live to see the next twelve months.

31 daisy { 02.27.14 at 1:04 pm }

Thankyou@30 and congratulations to you and all those who have made it through. I wish you well.

32 Trish { 02.27.14 at 3:47 pm }

I stopped buying mags when Princess Diana died. I felt then that we were looking too closely into peoples lives. I am upset with what Charlotte Dawson had to go through also Grant Hackett and now the Denyers. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS PEOPLE. None of us are perfect. If you feel the same, don’t buy the magazines.

33 Ali { 02.27.14 at 3:47 pm }

This was discussed on the radio with an entertainment reporter this morning. The news related was that the Rehab facility were going to issue a statement. Also, that the informant wasn’t there for four weeks as he claimed but four days. And that he couldn’t have seen Grant stand up in group and admit his addiction because Grant never attended any sessions where that was done. On the other hand, if they didn’t dig deeper to verify this guy’s story, WD will get sued, sued, sued.

I have no idea what to believe.

34 Littlepetal { 02.27.14 at 3:56 pm }

If Grant was in any of these sessions, there will be other witnesses and he would be silly to deny it.

Can we believe this guy? Is he only after the quick pay out?

35 Carol (without the e) { 02.27.14 at 4:01 pm }

The bigger issue here… and what needs to be really nailed by someone in authority… is NOT Grant Denyers personal habits. It’s the behaviour of these fucking magazines!!! All for the mighty dollar. IT’S ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

I hope Grant sues them for squillions and puts them (or shames them) out of business.

The way I see it – the coke addict and the magazine are getting far more bad press out of this then Grant.

K
A
R
M
A

I’ll bet there’s a party happening at New Idea at the moment. They would be jumping for joy at their competitor getting it wrong. They need to keep in mind though that they are tarred with the same brush in a lot of people’s minds.

If what Ali (# 33) is saying turns out to be true, then the coke addict has got himself a BIG problem to deal with. He’s likely to get sued as well as WD.

I’d love to see Grant triumph over this…

Like I said… I haven’t been a huge fan… but I think I am now!!!!!!! :-) :-)

36 Fiona { 02.27.14 at 4:38 pm }

I do wonder who buys these trashy mags beside hairdressers and doctors for their waiting rooms. I mean if you were really that interested in what celebrity’s were doing it’s pretty easy to find that kind of information online FOR FREE!!!

37 Culinary Boner { 02.27.14 at 4:42 pm }

I only buy them when Ajay’s featured in a multi-page spread.
There.
Got that off my chest.

38 Littlepetal { 02.27.14 at 4:42 pm }

Or we can just read them at Coles or Woolies. Haven’t we done it before. We even sent BDD to check the mags for us

39 Carol (without the e) { 02.27.14 at 4:53 pm }

Some interesting quotes from the coke addict:

QUOTE – “I spoke to their psychologist and they said their success rate was high because of their 12-step program, so a couple of days later I went. My family helped me with the $14,000 fees. I recognised Grant as soon as I saw him. I didn’t expect him to be there – would anyone?”

Yes well I think he might have been holidaying perhaps… and seen them go in… rang WD… struck a deal and went in for “treatment”. It’s feasible… isn’t it?

QUOTE – “I’m not going to go into all the details. They deserve that privacy and I don’t think that’s right.”

Yeah right… but money wins out over ANY kind of privacy they might have been afforded by him!!!

QUOTE – “Of course it’s hard for Grant. He’s worried about his reputation, his job.”

WD’s payment erased any concern he had for Grant’s job.

40 Carol (without the e) { 02.27.14 at 4:59 pm }

Oh and to add to the story… they have a video on the bottom of that page entitled “Grant Denyer resigns on air”

That happened around 12 months ago. Although I’m sure many people will assume that it’s a resignation over being outed as a drug user.

41 Lea { 02.27.14 at 5:06 pm }

LB said ( nice initials BTW :) ) :

“Just imagine if someone in the public eye chose not to seek help in case they were outed in a magazine and subsequently died, would WD bear the blame? I know it’s pushing things to the limit, but isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.

I hope the weasel who sold this story is shunned and his PT business fails spectacularly and WD shuffles to it’s grave quickly and unlamented.”

That’s exactly how I feel and i’ve read every comment and it’s nice to see i’m not alone. I’m no Grant Denyer fan, but it’s obvious he went away to seek help and find treatment. I’m sure the f*&k he and everyone else there had to sign confidentiality agreements and this loser PT guy ( so glad he was named – what an idiot ) has no right to be telling other people how to facilitate their recovery

WD is trash. They should be ashamed. Everyone loves gossip, but all these celeb-type-people being hounded as they struggle with issues is just disgusting. And sad. And helping no-one.

42 Sue { 02.27.14 at 5:47 pm }

I can see next weeks issue of Womens Day or New Idea now…..Grant Denyer exclusive “My Life as a Drug Addict & How I Got Clean”.

43 daisy { 02.27.14 at 5:58 pm }

I stopped buying them 30 years ago because they’re a boring waste of money. I don’t want to pay to flick through all those ads.

LB, really good point. Celebs probably are scared to get caught going to any kind of doctor or hospital.
(Zhee) except perhaps Tracy and Jenna (30 Rock).

44 Emily { 02.27.14 at 6:10 pm }

I personally am not a fan of grant denyer, sunrise, or any of the other 20 shows he seems to be on, but reading about this betrayal, by someone going through the same problems that he is, i feel for him. it’s absolutely despicable.
if you can’t even trust the others going through the same treatment, for the same problem, to keep their mouths shut, where can any of us turn when we need to get help. The guy who went to WD with the story is the lowest of the low, and the fact he is willing to tell so much information including his own name, he has absolutely no idea what it means to be a human being, a man.
The source is a pile of turd, and not because he is a drug addict, and all those other unpleasant things that usually come along with addiction like being a liar, a thief, a manipulator, a crimanal, no, he is a pile of turd because he is DISLOYAL.

45 cam2 { 02.27.14 at 6:11 pm }

do magazines only need one source for a story? i always thought it was two, maybe that was just on some tv show though. how do they know if the person is lying then? there must be someone else because where do WD get all the numbers for how much the addiction was costing them. unless they are just ‘speculating’?
so how does a celeb prove this kind of thing in court? i mean isn’t it just one person’s word against another’s to an extent? any doctors, therapists or the resort itself would be signed to confidentiality. its all very messy. if WD are wrong, then they will pay through the nose. and deservedly so.

46 Robin { 02.27.14 at 6:11 pm }

@36 Thats part of the problem. These magazines that so openly challenge celebrities are the ones that are most desperate because they can’t compete with the gossip blogs and they can’t compete with the major magazines that are on good terms with the PR houses. So they don’t care about ethics, they don’t care about upsetting the pr agents they are just trying to make trying to profit for as long as they can. They are the bottom feeders and they know they won’t be around for much longer.

47 Sheridan { 02.28.14 at 12:31 pm }

I’m so pleased that everyone here is as disgusted as I am with this awful person violating another’s privacy. I too have been in treatment facilities a number of times and sometimes there have been well known people there – I would never in a million years run to the media about this. Every facility you go to, every meeting you go to, it is always ‘what you hear and see here, stays here’. I don’t care what the Denyers went and got treatment for, it is their business and it is also their business to publicly announce however much or little of those treatment details as they like. Just because someone is in the public eye it doesn’t mean they ‘owe’ the public anything. This turncoat needs to concentrate on his own problems, not put his energies into chasing money and his 15 minutes of fame by throwing someone else under a bus.

48 Dr T { 03.01.14 at 4:26 pm }

Rebuttal from GD’s agent. Agree with most of the comments above – trashy mag, trashy individual.

PS – Daisy – Screw “Perfect Match” – that had a robot. This will for ever be “IYATO” – a poor translation of the original Chinese phrase. Why could they not have just run with “If Not Sincere, Do Not Disturb”

Not watching weeknights at the moment – all repeats. Seems the only new ones are now on Sundays. Unless you’ve seen any different?

49 Littlepetal { 03.01.14 at 5:01 pm }

Now another ‘witness’ said she there and dispute the PT account. She was there for alcohol addiction.

I hope WD get sued.

50 Cherri { 04.18.14 at 5:54 am }

Emily – not all addicts are criminals or liars and thieves. I admit yes I am an addict but I have always worked and I have never been on welfare payments, I support myself. Unless I told you I was an addict, you wouldn’t even know and I have been doing it for years, my own choice that I now have to live with. I have also tried to get clean, not as easy as it sounds.