My Kitchen Rules – Even Helena And Vikki Think Harry And Christo Can’t Cook!

It was the first team challenge with the contestant’s split up into two, and even Vikki and Helena were concerned about the liability that Harry and Christo are, saying they can’t cook. Helena who was heading up the black team shunted them too dessert and they made a flourless chocolate cake which as a very low difficulty rating. Having said that Harry was trying to assist the Tassie girls and over whipped their cream and burnt their meringues when he took a blow torch to them. No wonder he can’t get laid as he acts first and thinks later.

It was the first team challenge where both teams were cooking for a restaurant where the diners could decide what they thought the meal was worth. These challenges where the diners decide can be inequitable as they don’t get to taste all the food.

The white team headed by Josh who thought he made a great leader had the stronger cooks and were a bit smarter with the dishes they chose to make in the seaside suburb of Cronulla. The big truck were teams kitchens and it was a very impressive space considering on each side five teams were cooking. The truck comes along with Colin Fassnidge which got some of the girls hot under the collar from fear but it got Chloe hot and bothered for another reason.

The white team strengths were their savoury dishes which was Seared Tuna Nicoise Salad for entree, Seared Ocean Trout with Lentils and Salsa Verde and Surf & Turf with twice cooked chips for main. Cathy and Anna were smart with their main dish as at the time of service they just had to cook the trout which meant they were fairly stress free except for trying to get the dish up at the same time as Chloe and Kelly’s steak. The WA girls had a lot going on including chips and asparagus but Manu who was sceptical about the dish loved it.

The white teams desserts were not so great. With Tresne and Carly making a Deconstructed Raspberry and Lemon Tart because they think deconstructing something makes it high end. As Manu said it looked like they had dropped it on the floor and picked it up and plated it. But at least it was edible unlike Annie and Jason’s Chocolate Ganache and Shortbread which looked far to rich. This was confirmed when Pete Evans chugged a glass of water after he had one bite.

Carly and Tresne had a dish sent back because their was a hair in their dish. Josh boomed out so everyone could hear their was a hair in the dish. This did get him some attention from his team, as Josh was having an issue that no one was taking much notice of him.  Maybe in real life he lacks charisma as well as on screen.

The Black groups meal was a bit all over the place.  The twins made a Prawn Cocktail for entree but the diners only received one whole prawn in each serving which was not going to get you to open up your wallet. Naughty Nana made Lamb With Mint Sauce and roasted tomatoes. She had one sent back because it was raw but it still looked more cooked then anything Cathy and Anna dished up last week. Bree and Jessica also made a main of Braised Pork Belly with White Bean Ragu and Salsa Verde. Bree clearly has issues with taking direction as Colin Fassnidge was trying to tell her that she needed to hurry up as the dish was very labour intensive for their 90 minute prep time. He thought it weird she was tying the pork belly with string but she continued to do so.  She had the pork belly that took an hour to cook in the pressure cooker, cannelini beans to cook for 50 minutes and then she was peeling broadbeans and prepping artichokes.

Their pork looked terrible on the plate as it looked grey when they first sent it out. Diners returned it saying it was too fatty. They then quickly pan fried it before sending it out again. It was not walking off the menu but Pete Evans loved it, which will just feed into Bree’s ‘she knows best’ attitude.

Harry and Christo had simple dessert was thought to be fine by the judges except they thought the coulis was too tart. The young Tassie girls showed they can cook and did a very nice Lemon and Lime Citrus and Meringue Crumble. Out of all the desserts it was the highlight.

It was the white team that ended up winning with the black team being sent to MKR headquarters to cook off and try and avoid being sent to the elimination challenge against Uel and Shannelle. Some of the diners must have thought they were at a Hari Krishna restaurant and quite a few only put ten dollars in. This was a bit poor as most of the dishes looked edible.

1 Rosie { 03.03.14 at 7:49 pm }

Thanks, Littlepetal. :)

2 The Other Guy { 03.03.14 at 7:55 pm }

Who can count to 3 … vegetables.

3 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 8:12 pm }

Love the music when Christo is in the storeroom.

4 Littlepetal { 03.03.14 at 8:13 pm }

I dont like Harry and Christo. They are just a joke, Not funny either

5 daisy { 03.03.14 at 8:15 pm }

It annoys me when someone is made head chef and you get an old lady made out of white plasticine grizzling, “She’s too bossy”.

After watching about 4 years of MC and MKR, I thought all the head chefs were supposed to be bossy. Colin would have ripped the head chefs part if they didn’t bark orders.
It will be fun watching Luvee (Mrs Thurston Howell the third) have a go at being HC.

No Littlepetal. They are not funny. They are wasting my eyeball space.

6 The Other Guy { 03.03.14 at 8:19 pm }

Hunter and Collector and Twinning to lose.

7 The Other Guy { 03.03.14 at 8:24 pm }

Harry and Christo with the power to turn premium meat into roadkill.

8 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 8:30 pm }

TOG they are really giving me the shits. I like to watch these shows to learn new things and be entertained. After a hard day at work I don’t want to come home and be stressed or frustrated watch the likes of Harry and Christo.

9 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 8:31 pm }

I wish they would stop calling each other bloody “head chef”. They aren’t chefs gice.

10 The Other Guy { 03.03.14 at 8:36 pm }

Deb – clinically confused.

11 Littlepetal { 03.03.14 at 8:44 pm }

Deb keep adding water to the rice when the rice us already gluggy.

How many times to make the pasta? All the talk about making pasta all the time.

12 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 9:10 pm }

I hope Chloe and gumby get their turn in a cook off. I want to see them fall on their bums

13 The Other Guy { 03.03.14 at 9:15 pm }

Sandii at 61, I’d happily cushion their fall! But they are uberannoying.

14 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 9:19 pm }

Really? TOG, you would cushion their fall?

15 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 9:20 pm }

I can’t believe they man handle the food so much.

16 The Other Guy { 03.03.14 at 9:25 pm }

5 attempts at pasta! From good cooks. What a joke!
Uncooked schnitzel.
Insane old woman on verge of breakdown.

17 The Other Guy { 03.03.14 at 9:26 pm }

Sandii, you betcha!

18 Littlepetal { 03.03.14 at 9:28 pm }

I would not believe that Deb’s recipe is her mum recipe. Dont get me wrong. She is using Asian flavours and coconut rice. I would not believe her mum would use fish sauce.

19 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 9:29 pm }

TOG you’re a pearler! You cracked me up. Love your comments!

20 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 9:36 pm }

Littlepetal, I don’t get the opportunity to have many Asian dishes so don’t really understand how to put the flavours together. Why wouldn’t she have used fish sauce… Might be stupid question.

21 Littlepetal { 03.03.14 at 9:39 pm }

What I meant was if the recipe was from her mum, this recipe will be like 30 years ago. During those times not many people will have used fish sauce in the cooking.

22 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 9:41 pm }

Oh okay, that makes sense.

23 Reality Raver { 03.03.14 at 9:45 pm }

Cam2- thanks for the link. Not surprised Pete want to leave considering the standard of dishes that was dished up tonight.

24 The Other Guy { 03.03.14 at 9:53 pm }

Sandii, thank you! Glad to see the twins return to form!

25 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 9:55 pm }

I like the twins, we agree!

26 cuisinaire { 03.03.14 at 10:16 pm }

@71 Maybe her mum likes or liked to cook. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the recipe was one used thirty years ago. Margaret Fulton’s nearly ninety…she still loves to cook.

27 Sandii { 03.03.14 at 10:19 pm }

@ 71 I could be wrong but I thought she said her mum made it years ago. Was coconut milk even readily avaiable then.

28 brain dead dave { 03.03.14 at 10:24 pm }

Hairy and Krusto aren’t making it. They’ve been cooking dog shit for weeks now and produced another shitzel tonight.

Not enough skills on show to justify a ninety minute episode and the camera work, especially during the first cook off tonight was wobbly and amateurish.

When Pruneface said she’d cooked it loads of times , you know a fail is on the cards.

29 Zhee { 03.03.14 at 10:25 pm }

Byebye Pete. Won’t miss him but I think they need a female head judge. Karen Martini looks totally fine on camera. They should choose her. 😉

The truck episode bored me. The only thing which was interesting was: Will Harry maybe smash his hand or head into the fryer? I think he’s incredibly dumb. :( He behaves like a 14 year old boy, just having hit puberty and realizing: Oh, girls have tits. How cool is that?

30 daisy { 03.04.14 at 12:06 am }

Mrs Putty looked like she was making her latex face mask, not rice.

Both the technique and the excessive use of flavours shows she has no idea.

I hope US win. They have more potential.

Oh and look who’s whinging about store bought bread in the promo; mss store bought pastry.

31 Ray { 03.04.14 at 12:16 am }

Calorie Loader is trying to outdo RR it appears… boring

32 daisy { 03.04.14 at 12:29 am }

NOT boring to me CL.

33 brain dead dave { 03.04.14 at 1:01 am }

Don’t worry about Pops, CL.

34 daisy { 03.04.14 at 1:43 am }

Where’s Zhee?

I just saw one of the best 30 Rocks. The one where LL has eye surgery. 😆 😆 😆

BDD I recd Louise Th weird weekend. Looks like a good one.

35 Zhee { 03.04.14 at 2:44 am }

Hrhr, yeah that one was great. 😀 I’m nearly through season 6 now. Only a few more episodes left for season 7. *sadface*

36 Smythe { 03.04.14 at 3:56 am }

Harry doesn’t remember putting pepper in the cole slaw????
Duh.
Multiple pasta dough failures by the twins.
Weird rice by Bette clone. After seeing Bette on Oscars, Deb is looking more like her or is Bette looking more like Deb.
Nothing really exciting about any of the dishes from Round 1 or Round 2.

37 emp { 03.04.14 at 7:56 am }

Who hates pork, I do not understand. The same people who hate cheese as well?

38 Zhee { 03.04.14 at 8:29 am }

Just started with the UK version of MKR as my boyfriend prefers playing Diablo 3 in the evening. 😉 Well, I think if Pete leaves they should hire Lorraine Pascale. But it’s interesting. The UK version is so much more silent than the Australian version. The first to cook were two Irish ladies. I lived in Ireland for a couple of years (Cork, that’s the second largest city in Ireland’s south), I never really liked Irish food (the traditional dishes at least). So to be honest, I wasn’t looking forward and the main looked awful. If one of you ever travels to Ireland (Cork in specific), there’s a lovely restaurant, which has Irish food with a modern twist: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186600-d805285-Reviews-Star_Anise-Cork_County_Cork.html

39 Smythe { 03.04.14 at 9:28 am }

Zhee #88 I have also been watching MKR UK. Posted about that in one of the threads. I like Lorraine Pascale much better than Jason Atherton when it comes to judging. Interesting that there are fewer contestants in the UK version so I am assuming that there will be fewer episodes and the program will be more streamlined.

40 Bel { 03.04.14 at 11:30 am }

I don’t get why these people keep failing at basic tasks they’ve supposedly done 100’s of times before.

Twins & pasta. Bette/Deb & rice. SA Mums and mashed potato. Harry/Christo & everything. It’s not fun viewing. I don’t need to learn how to fuck up mashed potato or rice or pasta. There’s no enjoyment in watching other people do it.

Then last night’s best dish was a baked chicken breast. Wooheeeeey. I wonder if they’ll suddenly show skills later in the comp, like some previous ones did.

LittlePetal, I knew what you meant about Bette/Deb’s Mum not using fish sauce. My Nanna is a ‘lil older (& a lot less trollopish), but her chow mein leaves no doubt that her generation didn’t have any actual asian ingredients to work with when they started to cook ‘asian’ food. :)