The Block – The Twins Had A Blow Out And A Blow Up

Lysandra and Alisa were very relaxed about the master bathroom room reveal as they went out and got plastered the night before at their local pub. Even the next day they seemed fairly unconcerned about their master bathroom maybe that was because of their massive hangovers.  But several hours later they did give a rats when got a five out of ten by Shaynna Blaze. The bathroom queens have turned into precious princesses which included a major dummy spit. It included accusations of unfairness and questioned the integrity of the show. But the judges were correct – what were they thinking with that tacky moss in the bathroom it looked like they had bought it from Spotlight.

Keith is right when he said he thought the twins were not taking the competition seriously.The twins received a worse edit then Steve tonight which is pretty hard thing to achieve.

It was judgement night with Dale and Brad strategy of keeping their eye on the main prize of auction day, By keeping things simple and non-offensive it is working for them. The judges thought their bathroom was elegantly simple but wondered why they had not put a bath in it.

The twins bathroom was panned and the moss was disliked by all the judges and said they found it bizarre. Shaynna thought it was all hard and uncomfortable She also thought they were trying to hard. Neale Whittaker thought it was over detailed. Darren said the girls had done the cardinal sin of having the bathroom in a spot you saw as soon as you walked in.

Chantelle and Steve were told their bathroom was good well planned room and received praise for the separate elements but Neale thought there were too many different aspects going on. Neal thought the bath was old fashioned as it was set against the wall it would appear 95% of bathrooms would be outdated if using that as a guideline.

Kyle and Kara’s bathroom kicked butt. Neale was gushing over the wow factor. Chantelle must be peeved that the beautiful bath that she picked was getting so much praise. However it was the twins were the ones that looked like they were going to puke when they heard the praise and it did not appear to be related to their hangovers. The tiles were amazing. They were told it was a flawless room and they were scored that way with perfect tens from each judge.

Conversely the twins were given their worst ever score on The Block and they were not happy. They said that there was unfair as it was not the worst room they have ever delivered on The Block. Also they said that the K’s had received 6 1/2’s for their dreadful first bathroom.

“Enough is enough if they are going to be like this we’re going to go home” they ranted. “We’ve got a reputation to uphold” they continued as they unleashed f bombs. You nearly expected them to stamp their feet when they said “It’s not fair”.  They thought the way were being treated reflected on the show’s integrity. The twins and Steve seem to be both making the same accusations but Steve’s is about the editing which he thinks is making him look like an imbecile and the twins about the judging.

The twins thought they were going to cruise through their second series. They’re not and now they are getting diva like about it. Suck it up princesses.

1 Eliza { 03.07.14 at 12:09 am }

@Gabby, I was saying last night “WHY OH WHY is Chantelle always in a $2-esk shop?!”. I agree about the cook top too, it doesn’t need to go on the island bench! The most accessible bench space from outside the kitchen should be the spot for serving and entertaining.

According to SC though, they come good… maybe on the last room at this rate?! I don’t mean to be an internet bully but it has been disapointing what they have produced on the whole.

PS not a fan of the curved bench top in B&D’s kitchen, unfortunately. I have this thing against curved lines. Prefer my edges straight.

2 Gabby { 03.07.14 at 9:48 am }

Eliza my dear girl, there is no way you could ever be called an Internet bully, they are in a league of their own, and you don’t even touch the sides, you silly girl.
I’m a straight line person myself. When we put our staircase in my other half wanted the balustrades to have all sorts of curves in them, I soon put him straight, (no pun intended) no way, straight all the way. Of course he soon realised what a far better look it was.
But I still think Dale chose a good match with the light matching their bench top.

3 sunny { 03.07.14 at 2:01 pm }

The Wheel of Misfortune is an absolute disgrace. You win fair and square and because we love to reward mediocrity in this mundane world, and make excuses for incompetence and idiocy, it gets siphoned off to everyone else.
The Block is seriously shark jumping now.
Could you look any more thrilled you losers?
It’s not winning when you gain cash by mooching around aimlessly then skimming coin from a completely crap tacked on “gameshow” requiring no skills.
I would be pretty peeved if I was the KKs. They look mighty annoyed but keeping a lid on it for now.
Lift your game producers, you are punishing genuine contestants for your balls ups.

4 Gabby { 03.07.14 at 2:21 pm }

Sunny I agree with you, I think the K’s won their money fair and square and should have been entitled to keep it without all the guilt feelings attached and especially without this huge gamble.
The twins especially behaved abominably, just showed once again what spoilt brats they are. Imagine if the tables had been reversed and they had to give the money to the others, they would have right sour pusses on their smug faces then.
Look Eliza, I’ve turned in to an Internet Bully too! What’s happening to us?

5 Smythe { 03.07.14 at 3:39 pm }

I don’t know why I watch this program anymore. That arm wrestling was just a waste of time. Killer Kara and Saucy Lasagne…stupid. Just more filler to spread the program out over 4 days.

Eliza #51 I don’t like the curved top either. It just doesn’t look right.

And..Kyal may be in love with timber but too much of it already and I don’t think he’s going to stop with the kitchen.

6 techhater { 03.07.14 at 4:47 pm }

Gabby We haven’t had the armwrestle episode yet. Not until Sunday encores for us. (Stupid Rugby league) Anywhoo I did watch it online and it appears that what took over a week of promos and one episode could be reduced down to 1min 56secs. Well done Ch 9.

I’m probably the only one who TOTALLY loves the timber this year. Such a change from all that cold hard concrete used in the past couple of seasons.

I am so over the twins and their BS dummy spits. And what’s with their issues with their tradies? First they get rid of the head builder, then they try and do the same thing with their sparky. No wonder Scotty had to give an explanation as to why Shiran wasn’t allowed to do it for a 3rd season.

7 all happening { 03.07.14 at 5:27 pm }

Good to see you back TH. We got a double ep on Tuesday I think it was. I don’t mind a bit of a curve and I really like the wood. The judges have made reference to the time the original building was built and it fits with steel and general industrial look. The twins are not coming across well this year. I didn’t like them before but worse this year. They have a sense of entitlement.
S&C .. what can I say.. shudder. I really like KKs. Kara’s smile is lovely. They also seems kind to the others.

8 Brahypi { 03.07.14 at 5:35 pm }

I really just think the twins have poor impulse control. I think they’re struggling with budget and were on a high because they got a bit of breathing room. Yup, it wasn’t the most mature thing but I just thought it was funny.

I like the Ks wood covered rooms too. Not gonna lie. The only thing I question is the wood in the bathroom because it will be a bitch to maintain. I’d have their bath in a heartbeat!

9 all happening { 03.07.14 at 5:46 pm }

Brahypi, as much as I like the wood, you are right about the upkeep in the bathroom unless they have serious coverings of varnish. That bath is gorgeous.

10 cam2 { 03.07.14 at 5:55 pm }

anyone catch what dale was saying before the armwrestle? i thought he was going to count to 3, but then he mumbled something and it was over!

11 Gabby { 03.07.14 at 8:57 pm }

Hi TH. Missing you, I hope you are getting stuck in to the study seeing as you are not here. Also AH haven’t seen you much either, it’s nice to see your names popping up.
I love the timber as well. I think the K’s are doing a splendid job with it. I feel that K loves working with timber and you can see it in his work.
As for the arm wrestling, what a waste of time that was.. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. I hope the next series this year there will be improvements, learnt from this one.
I’m looking forward to see who the judges go off at. I’m thinking it’s the guys or S&C, whoever has the blue kitchen.

12 Brahypi { 03.07.14 at 9:00 pm }

Are they doing another one this year? Please tell me josh and Jenna aren’t coming back. I can’t deal with her.

13 Gabby { 03.07.14 at 9:17 pm }

Yes Brahypi apparently they are. I don’t know who is going to be in it. You could probably find out the name of the contestants. I think I heard they are all going to be newbies.

14 all happening { 03.07.14 at 9:27 pm }

Hi Gabby, been away among other things. Still kept up with mkr and tb and of course RR. Tb is ok in small doses. I am glad I can ff to miss all rubbish like arm wrestling and repeats of repeats. I don’t think ch9 listens to viewers and learns from previous seasons.

15 daisy { 03.07.14 at 9:39 pm }

Brahypi, smart arse dog. I love it. I am picturing his\her smug expression right now.

Sorry if I miss some of your comments. I don’t watch housework.

16 Techhater { 03.07.14 at 9:47 pm }

Thanks Gabby Have missed all of you as well. Yes I’ve been deep in studies as well as working part time. ATM I’ll probably only be online at weekendys. I’m hesitant to say too much about the Block as I’ ve been in contact with Kara’s mum, and i love the Super K’s I’m not going to speak out against them.

Therefore, I don’t want to get into a sh*tfight with anyone on RR.

17 Techhater { 03.07.14 at 9:58 pm }

Please excuse typos i’m on my stupid “SMART?????” phone.

18 Gabby { 03.07.14 at 10:57 pm }

TH, I noticed you had been conspicuously quiet about the super K’s, with very good reason. They are my favourite’s too.

Just wondering about the judging. How does it go as far as whoever has the most money being able to fit out their rooms, ie kitchen this week with top notch appliances, is that automatically going to put them in poll position for the win because they have state of the art appliances?
Another example, that great, very expensive bath the K’s bought, you can’t tell me that didn’t go towards their win.

So what I am saying is, is the person with the most money going to keep winning because they are able to source the best possible fixtures and fittings?
If I was one of the losers I would start to get a bit peed off about that.

19 Maz { 03.07.14 at 11:58 pm }

TH @56-why didn’t Shiran return to the Block this season?

I generally fast forward through the episodes so miss the explanation.

Wheel of Misfortune…not their finest hour but hardly anything on this season is. If it wasn’t for D&B this season would be almost unwatchable.

20 Brahypi { 03.08.14 at 3:45 am }

Max-Shiran wasn’t allowed to return because Scotty imposed a rule to try and level the playing field by not allowing builders who had appeared in previous series back this year.

I do wonder now how much guidance he was giving the twins.

21 Brahypi { 03.08.14 at 3:46 am }

Sorry! I meant Maz. Bloody iPad.

22 Zhee { 03.08.14 at 7:17 am }

Brahypi, I think Shiran was more than helpful last season. But I also think the ideas were from the twins. But he was able to tone it down, tweak those ideas and made them presentable which helped the twins win so many rooms. This season they don’t have him, that’s why their ideas failed to deliver. I hope the kitchen will give them some confidence back. As much as I enjoy Kyal and Kara’s work, it gets a tad boring. Too much wood, too many wins. It makes it look like there’s no competition, especially with the judges having permanent orgasms about the K’s work. It kinda looks like they are setting the K’s up for a major fall/breakdown. They won’t win during the auction, my bet is currently on the boys.

23 PollyB { 03.08.14 at 12:06 pm }

My view is the ‘Wheel’ was on standby in the event it looked like one team was gonna cane it. And the K’s have been. And this weeks ‘wheel’ punishment was altered to $2k to each of the teams. So winning this weeks challenge cost Super K’s that $5k plus $1k. I hope they win the kitchen this week.
I now ffwd just about everything of S&C. They are both so dopey it is unbearable to watch. The styling for their challenge was woeful. And who puts the cook top waaaaay awaaaay from the fridge, pantry, sink and prep bench?

24 techhater { 03.08.14 at 1:02 pm }

Scotty said that no builder could do more than 2 seasons, that’s why Shiran wasn’t allowed to be on this year.

25 Maz { 03.08.14 at 2:53 pm }

Thanks. That is a stupid ‘rule’ as I think inexperienced contestants such as S&C could use an experienced “Block” builder. (And the twins definitely need Shiran). Also, it would help the build overall rather than the learning curve been evident in the progress of the rooms.

26 Techhater { 03.08.14 at 3:18 pm }

Maz but that would mean Shiran would be on for a 3rd time. Personally I don’t agree with “2nd time round” contestants or builders.

And what’s with Steve and his attitude towards Keith???? For someone who’s supposed to be such a big fan, he knows absolutely nothing about how the show works.

27 Gabby { 03.08.14 at 4:26 pm }

You are right TH Steve’s attitude towards Keith stinks. He is as bad as the twins really. Does not like it when he gets put in his place for doing something wrong. He knew the rules before he came on board.
That thing with the floors, I completely understand it, but the twins, S @ C act as if Keith is making the whole thing up just to be difficult towards them.
I’m starting to think now that it wasn’t the twins last time but Shiran that was the driving force behind their winning apartment.

28 Maz { 03.08.14 at 4:37 pm }

TH-I would assume that bringing back past contestants is a bit of risk management for the producers just in case the new cast don’t connect with the audience (like S&C). It is after all a very small cast compared to other reality shows.

As for returning builders, I don’t mind. These after all are very expensive real estate and you want proven trades people on this project.

That no 3rd time trades is BS as Franklin Landscape & Design has done work on at least three Blocks.

29 Techhater { 03.08.14 at 4:49 pm }

Gabby We went through all “concrete floor drama” when Dan &Danny did their’s. It’s just losers and their BS whining.

Maz Franklin Landscapers are doing the common area, nothing to do with an individual team. Scotty did say they were the Block’s landscapers this year.

Finally the twins now know how Trixie and Johnno felt last year. Although the twins don’t have anyone being absolutely horrible to them, like they were with J&T.

30 Diogenes { 03.08.14 at 5:27 pm }

I have sent the following email to iSelect.

Dear iSelect,
We are continually being hammered with the fact that you “sponsor” the Wheel of Misfortune on the current series of The Block.

Given that the wheel appears to be “rigged” to not give a prize,and actually penalise winners in that the 3 heavier magnetised “prize” quadrants introduce a bias into the wheel that was obvious in the Wallpaper week, I began wondering why you would choose to associate your brand with it.

Then it struck me!

iSelect wants to be seen as brand which takes money from hardworking people and does nothing for it. I have shared my theory with those of my collegues and pupils who watch the show and they can see the simile.

yours sincerely
(real name supplied)

31 Maz { 03.08.14 at 5:28 pm }

TH-perhaps what I mean is I think it is hypocritical for production to restrict the contestants from using tradies for the third time (particularly in a fave vs fans concept) when they themselves do.

Umm, I don’t think Steve is a ‘fan’ of the show.

32 Techhater { 03.08.14 at 6:20 pm }

Maz The whole show is hypocritical. To have someone on who is having an affair with one of the production crew again, is the most hypocritical thing I’ve ever heard of. To use the twins own words “where’s the integrity and what about our reputation?”

I think that applies to both the twins and Ch9.

Diogenes I like the way you think.

33 WHY { 03.08.14 at 8:42 pm }

Thankfully I possess a PVR and fast forward through much of the padding and rubbish on this season’s episodes ie. The Arm Wrestle challenge. If Kara had more than one expression I’m sure her face would indicate her shear embarrassment.

I think it’s Brad & Dales kitchen the judges don’t like. Anyone got any ideas who has the 1990’s kitchen feel to it (as per Neil?)

I think the wheel of misfortune is rigged. Trying to shut the whinging “losing” contestants up.

34 brain dead dave { 03.08.14 at 9:24 pm }

This excuse for a show is about nothing but celebrating being a white boofhead.

35 Zhee { 03.08.14 at 9:57 pm }

Kara was gold during the arm wrestle show (uh, her arms look perfect btw). Her comment to Lysandra, that it will be the only time she wins something this year was too funny. But at least Lysandra took it with humour. On the Facebook page, the commentators seem to hate Kara a lot. Ohhh, she’s so smug. Ahhh, she’s a bitch. I suppose that girl is just very direct, voices her opinion and simply doesn’t like being overruled. Except for too much wood and those awful tiles from their bathroom, they are doing a very fine job. And I still think that they are currently being prepared for a huge downfall.
I guess the viewers don’t like winners. And just wait that they fall flat on their pretty faces. This happens all the time on those shows (anyone remember Marion from Masterchef?). Producers are building them up, producers push them down the stairs when they need to. I can already see the judges walking in a room with a disgusted look on their faces “Ugh, too much timber. Ugh, this is frustrating. Ugh, this is getting repetitive and boring.” Hopefully they won’t start swooning over S&C then.

36 Techhater { 03.08.14 at 10:05 pm }

Why I’m not sure it is B&D’s kitchen they slam. On the promo they show a big WOW and the judges are standing in front of a huge wall-sized piece of art and we know that’s B&D’s.

37 brain dead dave { 03.08.14 at 10:17 pm }

Karma’s a bitch but not Kara. I love it that she kicks the twins in the guts.

38 Techhater { 03.08.14 at 11:04 pm }

Thanks BDD I was sure I wasn’t their only supporter.

39 all happening { 03.08.14 at 11:16 pm }

TH and BDD you are not KK’s only supporters. I think they both seem lovely natured. They sure are copping a fair bit of flack from fb bitches. I am assuming tall poppy syndrome.

40 Techhater { 03.08.14 at 11:55 pm }

AH I was thinking the exact same thing.

As I said on another thread most people don’t know how to handle someone who is genuine and really, really nice

41 Maz { 03.09.14 at 9:08 pm }

It was Brad and Dale’s kitchen they slammed. When they hate the room I note they do not allow any artificial light in.

Why didn’t we get to see B&D’s pantry?

The boys’ problem probably was they didn’t have timber in the kitchen.

Thought the whole twin rangehood drama was a set up to show how great the Good Guys are.

Most people don’t know how to handle genuinely nice people as there is no such thing only common interests.

42 Zhee { 03.10.14 at 4:58 am }

I loved the twins’ kitchen. Also loved the K’s kitchen. Although I did not like the two different timber types they used.
I’m loving glossy, dark grey kitchen (yup, my new one is dark grey and glossy) like those two produced.

I didn’t mind S&Cs kitchen this time. It looked better than B&D’s kitchen which was indeed looking a bit dated. Maybe different timber, darker one for example would have helped. Also different chairs. Those really looked too much like 2005. :$

43 Eliza { 03.10.14 at 9:44 am }

Ugh.. My comments keep getting eaten..

@Maz: they finally told us the other week that they decided it would be unfair to the fan teams for experienced block builders to come back.. I liked Shiran though. I also agree about the GGs range hood debarcle.. Smelt a lot like last year and the Myer stuff going missing. Such great customer service! Ha ha..

@Gabby: We are such bad ass internet bullies!

@TH: hope the study is going well! I quite like the Ks.. From what I can see from the show, I am somewhat like Kara myself so get that she most likely isn’t a bitch! She seems like quite the perfectionist and this can sometimes come across as being a certain way unless you know them. Yay for perfectionists. I do love the timber as I am a fan of natural materials but for me to live with, sometimes I find it a bit much.

I don’t go on show’s FB pages as I often find people tend to make a lot of personal attacks rather than have civilised discussions like we have here.

I liked the twins kitchen best and the Ks second. I really liked the feel of the space that the twins created. The boys was a bit dated and the curved bench top was impractical.

@Zhee: your kitchen sounds fancy! We recently did ours at home too but we went the light and white option with a team sort of colour veneer and light caesarstone tops.. Our space would have been too dark with a dad kitchen but certainly easier to keep clean!