My Kitchen Rules – Deb And Rick ‘Old School’ Cooking Was Not Good Enough

As soon as you saw Deb and Rick’s “old school” menu  you knew they were gone. They kicked it off with this series trend prawn and avocado, this time in the form of a tart. However Deb decided to give it her own downmarket Four Ingredient Cookbook twist to the dish by using white bread as a base.

Quite rightly Chloe was a bit pissy about it considering she and Kelly had been castigated about using store bought bread. At least theirs was Ciabatta not down market plain white Wondersoft.

Needless to say the four judges were a bit bewildered by it.

For main the SA couple made Lamb Shanks with a curry sauce and sweet potato and carrot mash. This was looking a bit dodgy but apparently the sauce had a lot of flavour. Maybe Deb was right with adding extra curry powder.

However their dessert of “twice baked” Sticky Date Pudding just was pedestrian. Sure it can be delicious but it is not that difficult to make. Also their cooking style was highlighted when Rick was making the vanilla ice cream when he did not use a vanilla pod but liquid essence.

They had a timing issue with puddings and had to pull them out of the oven before they served up their main. As the teams are sent out of the kitchen whilst the judges taste their dishes. Lucky for them it did rise again but it would have not been fantastic. Pete Evans said it was too sweet, but he did like their lamb shanks but thought it needed more sauce.

Uel and Shannelle finally stuck with Asian cuisine. They made a Singapore Chilli Soft Shell Crab which looked delicious but not sure why they decided to deep fry the steamed buns.

Jason was worried for the Sydney couple as they had not started cooking the buns or crab 45 minutes out. What? The crab would have been inedible if it sat there for 35 minutes.

Their main was Braised Pork Belly with Quail Eggs and Bok Choy. It took the Uel the whole of the main course prep time to peel the eggs. The pork was well cooked but all the judges thought the sauce lacked flavour and Colin thought something was missing.

Their Pandan Coconut Filled Pancakes looked delicious which all the judges bar Pete liked. He thought the pancake was too sweet and the sauce too salty.

However as soon as Deb and Rick started getting five’s from the judges you knew they were goners.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN Mon to Wed at 7.30pm.

1 Georgie { 03.06.14 at 5:39 pm }

I also thought the criticism of the fruit was ridiculous. Saying fruit doesn’t go with a sausage roll, is as lame as saying fruit doesn’t go with a sandwich. Well gice, it’s not meant to – it’s actually an element if a healthy, balanced, school lunch! Do you withold fruit from your child’s lunch if you think it doesn’t ‘GO’ with the savoury part?

2 Littlepetal { 03.06.14 at 5:54 pm }

The critiques from the judges were all over the shop. One moment it should be healthy. Then got critised for using chicken breast.

Too bland, need more spices. Kids doesn’t like strong spices.

In fact a complete lunch should have 1 serve of fruit.

Wonder why no one make sushi. I have seen many sushi in kids lunch boxes

3 Alison { 03.06.14 at 6:34 pm }

Did anyone else notice how much Rick (of Deb & Rick) looks a lot like actor John McCook, who plays Eric Forrester in the Bold & The Beautiful?
I’m pretty fed up with most of the contestants telling each other (and the rest of the country) how “awsome” they are! Perhaps the show should be called “Demolition Dish” as most of them keep repeating how they will have to “Smash it” or “Nail It” if they want to stay in the competition. Please MKR … get some new catch lines!

4 daisy { 03.06.14 at 6:50 pm }

Alison, people might say we’re crazy, and my first reaction was what??? But when I visualized them I saw some similar elements. So yeah, I see it now. But it might be like that blurb of the hag that is also a picture of an old fashioned lady. Try as they might some can’t see the lady.

On the fruit, my mum used to give things like:
1 round polony sanger
HM apricot pie
An orange

Would Pete and Manu say they don’t go. I think Luvee and little Luvee were just doing what a Mum would do…..attempt to balance their diet.

5 The Other Guy { 03.06.14 at 7:14 pm }

I’m thinking Deb’s fantasy and fakery extends to the nude painting. The painting reveals an elegant and long torso. Whereas Deb is a Hobbit. Artistic licence was Photoshop of the 70’s.

6 Sandii { 03.06.14 at 7:20 pm }

I am really curious as to what other people here might have served. I would never in a million years think to make spelt chips.

7 Georgie { 03.06.14 at 7:24 pm }

“Okay kids, how do you spelt ‘chips’?”

8 Littlepetal { 03.06.14 at 7:30 pm }

I will just do some fried vermicelli or noodles. It will have sliced chicken and julienned vegetables.

9 daisy { 03.06.14 at 7:32 pm }

MacDonalds. I wouldn’t have got Judges choice but I would have romped it in with the kids.

10 The Other Guy { 03.06.14 at 7:37 pm }

Nice fresh Vietnamese rice paper rolls.